Turbo Sliders Feature Requests

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:50 pm

Yes, there will be about 10-20 laps from which AI drivers randomly select a lap. Skill level has an effect so that high skill AI picks better laps than bad AI. In preliminary tests, this has worked quite well, but you can judge it yourself later. One possible future (but very hard to implement) improvement might be to be able to make temporary movements out of the line to overtake etc.

I know that the very best drivers may find the AI too easy in the hardest level but then you can try make your own better lines or try to win with a bad car or by first letting 19 AI drivers a few seconds ahead :).

dby
Community User Level: 2

Post by dby » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:41 pm

Blocking and pushing behaviours could be fun... and maybe two of the easier temporary movements to implement? Pedal to the metal if someone is on the line in front, and step on the brake if someone is following... preferably before turns. It can be pretty fun to dodge poor drivers trying to push you. :P

Mouse
Community User Level: 5

Post by Mouse » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:07 pm

ohhhh this is sounding good! i am now geting excited. even if AI drivers are dumb, it will still be great fun to have races offline to practice overtaking, and dodgeing crashes. will you be able to put in 19 drivers for train mode?

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:20 pm

At least at first, AI drivers will not try to bump into you, but it might be fun, yes :). And yes, you can drive with 19 AI drivers (at least if your video card can handle it. If not, you can disable the slow alpha blending).

mandeagle
Community User Level: 1

Post by mandeagle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:59 pm

i had another idea, the rook mode was a weak one, but I was wondering... what about a flag mode, while you are running you can press any key and activete the mode,

when activated, all the players get a square, like that in the start. and then we can now who is at the same lap, or who is +1, +1, etc lap from you

is basically the tab function, but is easier in the race

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:25 pm

that would be helpfull. in endurance races, you never know if it is a leader 2 laps in front of you who you should let pass. or a person on the same lap to race with. i like that idea.

Hengari
Community User Level: 3

Post by Hengari » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:36 pm

A long post of feature requests since beginning of this topic:

- AI drivers -----------------------> 1.06 version (autumn 2005)
- Recording races-------------------> 1.05
- replays --------------------------> 1.05
- Gamepad support ------------------> 1.04?
- user-definable extra/alternative button for confirming car selections
Ande: You cannot make the car selection during the first second or so
- Pit stops, gas, and speeding limit on spitlane ----------------> 1.07
(Ande 28.07.2005: Pit stop would mean altering network protocol and downwards compatibility would be broken, maybe in 1.2)
- Campaign mode with car tuning or upgrades
- single player campaign
- Arcade mode (powerups, oil slicks etc.)
- Tank fight modification (no racing, just fighting) --------------> 1.08?
- New mod: TAKE A FLAG (like capture the flag in FPS-games?)
- In single player mode, drive directly against your own best lap in ghost mode
- Move track tiles with cursor keys, Alt+Cursor to move 1 pixel in any direction
- Better local multiplayer mode. randomized select only tracks that fit to the screen or splitscreen
- Vote kick" feature, enable kicking of annoying players, "/kick playername"
Ande 15.11.2004: Votekicking could be abused if lots of troublemakers decide to kick someone out
- Transparen bridges (like 20%), if a player drives under a bridge, then and only then, transparent for xy%
- Arrow to point the way under the bridges, silhouette of the car
Ande 15.11.2004: You can press Tab to see your name where you are. Partially transparent might cause serious lagging because of an inadequate alpha blending support in SDL
- simulation mode with damage
- improve the hardware usage
- More statistics output in html format, team's records, end of cup results (laps, tracks, names and points)
Ande 20.11.2004: log.txt and permanent logs in statistics options
- Key for making screenshot, Race/Chat/menu_date_time_sometext.bmp
Ande 24.11.2004: I have not seen it necessary since there are good programs which do this
- In a server to be able to view the available servers on the master list, without quitting the server
- A clock which displays the time of the lap at the moment and another one which shows total time
- Personal fastest lap indicator
Ande 27.2.2005: Server couldn't know your personal records so there would be two kinds of messages, for server and for local times. pretty confusing, but maybe.
- Manual transmission and a key or keys to shift gears
- Master server -chat
- Scripting support (python, scheme...), small tracks more laps, randomly select number of laps, different random car to each player, entire cup a random single car -cup
Ande 20.03.2005: Scripting is a nice idea, making a full-featured script language would of course be quite a big job but maybe adding some variables and conditional expressions in the current system might be enough. "I will think about it" as I often say
- "Search for player" command, like "/whereis <player>", respond with the server name, or "Player not connected"
- Next checkline you have to pass is highlighted yellow, 2nd is orange and 3rd in red (all half transparent)
- Arrows which are pointing the way before curves
- Password protected servers, tournament servers and such can make it more organised without having to ban everyone involved
- More commands for admin side like: /restart with another pass, different for normal admin
- Draft behind the other cars....if you get close enough you get a short speed boost
Ande 25.07.2005: Track records should be switched on when this is on (or mark those laps where you get draft as c laps), I try to remember it.
- /ignore command, spamming idiots on the server
- Cancel track loading during the process, annoying to wait until the track fully loads and then quit
- Rook -mode, like the pro mode, but instead of disable, 1 or more laps behind you run in ghost mode
- text for your position and the lap number, always or after passing the start/finish line
Ande 23.08.2005: That might be a good idea but there is already beginning to be lots of stuff in the corners
- Next to players names is their current lap time, switched to the players position and what lap thay are on, switched in the menu, mabye just by pressing F11
- A flag mode, while you are running you can press any key and activate the mode, who is at the same lap, or who is +1, +1

Better list of request dates and more info can be found at: http://verteksi.net/turbosliders/files/ ... re-req.txt
Last edited by Hengari on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:32 pm

wow thats a lot of stuff! here is what i think of some of it -

car tune ups / upgrades - i dont like this idea, i think TS should stay as it is, just go out and race! not having to think "hmm he has a better car then me, so i will lose" dont make TS to complicated, it is a very simple game to play, and that is best for it

manual transmission - again would make it too complicated, and how would you know when to shift? with other cars you cant hear your car sound as well. and if having a flash that says "shift" that would take away concentration from the race

pit stops - i do like the idea of having to get gas in the race. but i dont like having to chance tires. no pit speed limits either, bad idea. driving down the pit, stop in a "box" and stay there for mabye 10 seconds untill the meter fills, nice and simple.

arrows and checklines on the track ?!?! why? a 3 year old can figure out a way around a race track! i guess it could be ok for rally races where there can be no track, this i dont think is needed

/ignore mode - ohh yes, that can be a nice one. or how about /mute? when i host server, i hate people who come in "gogogogogogogog!!!!" that would be nice! also /mute Spectators/ also /kick should be able to kick specs! annoying sometimes!

i think that additions to the game are great, but not changing things. having to change tires would change the race. remember the term "if its not broke, dont fix it!!!"

i would really hope TS does not get complicated. the best part of the game is that anyone can cust pick it up and play as soon as you get it.

Hengari

Post by Hengari » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:01 am

Mouse wrote:i would really hope TS does not get complicated. the best part of the game is that anyone can cust pick it up and play as soon as you get it.
Yep, the fun of the game is that it is simple enough to have fun and not to think about it too much.

When Slicks' n' Slide got guns and car upgrades and such it wasn't so good as it was without them. But maybe someone will like those stuff.

TS with all those pit stops, car upgrades, transmission and other things would be an another game. In my opinion, the main idea of TS would be lost.
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:44 pm

I would like too have an option for a timestamp for each message in the chatroom. That shouldn't be too difficult :P

Badeend

Post by Badeend » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:45 pm

Damn. Why is there a f00king guest-option in this forum... Well, the message up here was mine ;)

I thought the timestamp-option should be enabled/disabled in the options menu.

road_oktane

Post by road_oktane » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:13 pm

Just add pit stop system and the game will be complete. :)

dby

Post by dby » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:18 pm

Well, just keep any new features that change the core of the game optional.

I'd be really interested in a server featuring 'simulation mode', 'pit stops', 'manual transmission', 'draft' and 'campaign mode'(as in tuning and repairing between races)... but I would still play the normal game as well.

And an arcade version with defensive/offensive weapons and upgrades could be fun if done a good way... like Super Cars 2. Still, I'd like to play without that stuff sometimes as well.

Anyhow, new features would hopefully attract some more users, and we'd all get more games for the price of one. But what feature should be highest priority, I don't know. Maybe improving some less spectacular stuff might be more important.

Jazzyclub

Post by Jazzyclub » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:05 pm

i think all are interested in pitstops and car setting...
TS have 2 type of players
1) just run run run and run
2) like the game in any faces, but with more options "like setting the car, gear ratio, pitstops etc..." are more happy because even if TS is not a game as F1 challange 2005, it would like to have the possibility to set up the various parameters of own car so that besides knowing how to play also the knowing to set up every single bolt.

xzeal

Post by xzeal » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:30 pm

i was thinking about the pitstop system and how it would work.

I don't know about the others, but i'm convinced that pitstops are a bad idea, if fuel load and tyre wearing don't alter the car's behaviour. (or else it would be more like racing around the track stopping for 10 seconds and resuming).

tyre wearing naturally should influence grip. Although personally i'm not very fond of the fact that car behaviour changes so dramatically in turns. In "generally" i found it interesting, but not good.

But when i was thinking on fuel cosumption i started thinking on real life: more fuel worse braking and accelration, less fuel better accelration and braking. also different cars could hold different amount of maximum fuel. With that easysliders spinners or sliders could keep up with (or why not be faster) then spinner and antislider on some tracks.

Of course all that thought process was rather pointless, since as i understand, it is not on top of andes "to do list" and propably he has not started yet with it. Anyway that was how i imagine the pitstops to work.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:01 pm

i would hope that it will be, as i have said, simple! gas will not have any affect on car handling. tire wear, in order for it to be realistic, would have to make the car lose grip, i personally hate that idea. i would rather have a tire and fuel meter. when fuel meter is empty, you are then disabled on the track (unless you are pushed to the pits by other cars). when the tire meter goes all the way down, your car speed is cut in half (like when a race finishes, you can move, but slowly).

also i am worried that if a new style of gameplay comes about, it will draw many to it, and leave the normal way of play with few players.

keep it SIMPLE!

Synchronicity

Qualifying Lap

Post by Synchronicity » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:51 pm

Hello!!

What about a qualifying lap before the race to set the starting positions?
It could be something like driving a lap alone before the race and sending the time of the lap to the server.

I think it could be interesting.

(Ahh, a great game this turbosliders ;) :P

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:59 pm

that would be a nice feature, i would like to see that. i can imagine it is a rather easy feature also.

Ande what is at the top of your list now? :D

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:48 am

Version 1.0.6 will be released soon and its feature list has already been fixed and I can't really tell anything about 1.0.7 yet.

Implementing a full qualifying system would require lots of work, but maybe there could be two new starting orders: last race position and last fastest lap position. If this was the case, one could simulate qualifying session by first running the same race without any points for any position, with ghost on and "last fastest lap" as the starting order. Then, before the next race, one could make points active again and the starting order would be taken from the last lap times. I will consider this when I start to think about the next version.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:30 pm

that would be nice "last race fastest lap" then we would not have to go through the 1 lap arena grid set up that takes sometimes about 15 munutes. nice idea :D

road_oktane

Post by road_oktane » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:06 am

[quote="Ande"]
one could simulate qualifying session by first running the same race without any points for any position, with ghost on and "last fastest lap" as the starting order. [/quote]

this is exactly what we need :D

i hope it cost no much work to do, so i guess next version you add this feature!

keep up with the good work Ande!

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:09 am

i'm waiting new track editor version so we could build more better tracks :)

fasteddie399

Pause Button

Post by fasteddie399 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:02 pm

Hey Ande, now that there are AI drivers (thank you, by the way!), players are able to have very long and entertaining races on their local computer with many cars. Previously, "racing" was more or less limited to online play, where, throughout the entire online racing genre, the ability to pause a race was never really implementable. But now, after doing some long local races with me and 19 AI drivers, a pause feature would be GREAT!

I know you've been reluctant to making any client-side changes over the last few updates, and unfortunately this request would involve doing just that, so, maybe you've been compiling a list of client-side changes so that they can all be released and implemented at once? (such as the much-anticipated pit stops :P )

Either way, just another idea for ya.. :D

...and thanks for the many awesome and fun hours/days/weeks/months/years you've provided for all us TS players!!!

fasteddie399

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:43 pm

Yes, I'm sorry I stole your time :).

But yes, it is true that pause would indeed be a good feature to have in local games. It may not be as simple as it sounds but as usual, "we'll see" :).

Jazzyclub

Post by Jazzyclub » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:11 am

why you dont put all settings line in "hosting server" window? like:
1) n° of players
2) ghost or pro
3) laps
4) tracks
5) cars
and other settings to make a good server

PS: for me 75% of the menu are not organized, a reorganize is necessary!!

Edit: and why you not make a command like /restart if you are admin but not hoster??