It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:24 am

Turbo Sliders Feature Requests

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 4:25 pm

gstedt wrote:
Jazzyclub wrote:for me this is a problem, what? when you pass under the bridge, if you hurt here you take 5 minute to exit from it :lol: , i think "if is possible" when someone pass under the bridge, take the bridge 20% trasparent....

Yes, that's true. Transparent when driving against others on server and just an arrow that appears when driving many players on one computer (local)

There is one thing that might already help: you can press Tab to see your name where you are. But if this doesn't seem to be enough, I can consider something more in the future versions.

Jazzyclub

Community User Level: 3

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 4:30 pm

sure you see where you are, but you dont see which direction your car is positioned

Jazzyclub

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 4:32 pm

another think, if is possible to have "in some menu where are more fill" 2 or more columns? this can easy to translate in more language..

Mike Nike

Community User Level: 5

Problem: driving under a bridge

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 5:16 pm

another think, if is possible to have "in some menu where are more fill" 2 or more columns? this can easy to translate in more language..

Newton, Ande and i talked about this already...
It's definately a problem, but it can be fixed (a bit), if you push TAB.
With pushing TAB, you see your and the others playernames over the cars. When you drive you can calculate the direction, where you moved...
So, you can get out of the "tunnel".

We discussed also eventually "blockers" under bridges, which can only be visible for others with pushing TAB.
Also long tunnels (>=2 bridges in a row) won't be easy to drive through.

Solution for this would be, that a car under a bridge would appear as ghost...or: the better solution, like you said: the bridge itself would appear with xy% transparency.

The problem will be for Ande then, to code a bridge as unstatic object in track. This means, that tracks with many bridges will need much more graphic ressources than normally. Right, Ande?

Advantage:

1a) You see yourself and other cars under a bridge...

Disadvantage:

2a)without advantage 1a) there will appear several problems, like:
blocking, accidents under bridge; bad race calculations, when you are leaving the "tunnel"; long "tunnels" make this disadvantage bigger.

2b)It's not like Slicks 'n Slide, where bridges were static visible...
But i think, that won't be a big problem ;-)

Jazzyclub

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 5:25 pm

no, take the bridge trapsarent only when you pass like effect in local..

Mike Nike

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 6:00 pm

Yes, sorry...
but this was actually that, what i meant.

If a player drives under a bridge, then and only then, the bridge becomes transparent for xy%

The question is...does it become transparent, only if you drive under the bridge (a client player) or also if other cars are located under a bridge?

If also others...then the bridge should be so visible, that you see enough to still be able to drive over it.

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

Re: Problem: driving under a bridge

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 8:20 pm

Mike Nike wrote:The problem will be for Ande then, to code a bridge as unstatic object in track. This means, that tracks with many bridges will need much more graphic ressources than normally. Right, Ande?

Bridges do have some overhead but not that much. But if they were partially transparent, that might cause serious lagging because of an inadequate alpha blending support in SDL.

Mike Nike

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 9:27 pm

Bridges do have some overhead but not that much. But if they were partially transparent, that might cause serious lagging because of an inadequate alpha blending support in SDL.

You're right. In this case, the bridge should be constant. Then it's just the question...will it have constant 0% transparency or 20% or 50%...?

When the bridge keeps 100% visible, then the cars under the bridge should hopefully be a bit visible. Maybe not with the TAB-info, maybe with 50% of transparency of the normal ghost. Or, instead of transparency the car could replaced with another graphic, which maybe shows better, that the car is located under a bridge.

Newton

Community User Level: 1

Bridges

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 9:31 pm

At the time bridges are a problem i guess. It makes me consider if I will buy 1.00 at all. :I Using TAB is no solution anyway. It would be same as pressing A everytime you cross the finishline. Those driver names make the view a bit messy when racing i think. I don't use them normally, so it would be really hard to keep pressing TAB everytime i go under a bridge.
Hope we can find a working solution to this.. :roll:

gstedt

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 9:36 pm

Mike Nike wrote:car could replaced with another graphic, which maybe shows better, that the car is located under a bridge.

that's a good solution. When a car drives under a bridge an arrow appears that indicates the cars direction and location. And it doesn't need that much coding (?)

Mike Nike

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 9:58 pm

that's a good solution. When a car drives under a bridge an arrow appears that indicates the cars direction and location. And it doesn't need that much coding (?)

I also thought about an arrow yet, maybe with a circle around it in addition and/or the name placed over or under the car, depending on the direction maybe...
But an arrow wouldn't look so nice, maybe.
Maybe a graphic or a code which creates a graphic draws the silhouette (the line at car border). This line would maybe rotate in its color perhaps. So you see a car under a bridge as blinking silhouette of a cartype. With this silhouette (or just a transparent car, which is definately viewable, that this car is under and not over the bridge) you can better calculate your drivings, instead of driving as arrow or circle with arrow in it...
In addition to this, it looks much better ;)

gstedt

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 10:14 pm

Mike Nike wrote:
I also thought about an arrow yet, maybe with a circle around it in addition and/or the name placed over or under the car, depending on the direction maybe...
But an arrow wouldn't look so nice, maybe.
Maybe a graphic or a code which creates a graphic draws the silhouette (the line at car border). This line would maybe rotate in its color perhaps. So you see a car under a bridge as blinking silhouette of a cartype. With this silhouette (or just a transparent car, which is definately viewable, that this car is under and not over the bridge) you can better calculate your drivings, instead of driving as arrow or circle with arrow in it...
In addition to this, it looks much better ;)

True, but I thought it would be easiest just with an arrow, but a shadow/silhouette would be nicer

swos

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 11:45 pm

Maybe a small bump when you go over a curb ?
or better yet to make it possible to make your own obstacle pieces that would make that possible.

But seriously just concentrate on getting the full race replays ingame (I promise I will then make a site about the greatest moments and overtaking methods :)

Pit Stops is also a very good idea, and remember to put the speeding limit there also :)

maybe in a far future you could get hit in an overtaking situation and damage the front wing or a tyre, and then manage to steer yourself to pits to have it repaired 8)
(but that of course in a simulation mode, because I know there are lots of ppl who wants to have it, but also those who prefer the default arcade mode)

Flexman

Community User Level: 2

Re: Turbo Sliders Feature Requests

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 9:06 am

Ande wrote:In this thread, you can give suggestions on what features
to include in future Turbo Sliders versions.

One thing not mentioned here: Maybe it is able to improve the hardware usage of the game. My K6-2/333 with 16 MB Graphic RAM worked with lots of games with more complex 3D graphics, also with Fifa 2000 etc, but it was too slow for Turbosliders when there was a bigger Track like Zuzuga 3. Also the Version 0.86 didn't work on a 700 MHz Laptop with 4 MB Graphic RAM. Should be enough though.

So before you add new features I'd appreciate if you fix the bugs first and make the game work on slower computers.

Newton

Damage

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 9:42 am

swos wrote:Maybe a small bump when you go over a curb ?
or better yet to make it possible to make your own obstacle pieces that would make that possible.

But seriously just concentrate on getting the full race replays ingame (I promise I will then make a site about the greatest moments and overtaking methods :)

Pit Stops is also a very good idea, and remember to put the speeding limit there also :)

maybe in a far future you could get hit in an overtaking situation and damage the front wing or a tyre, and then manage to steer yourself to pits to have it repaired 8)
(but that of course in a simulation mode, because I know there are lots of ppl who wants to have it, but also those who prefer the default arcade mode)

Nice idea swos but I don't think i would work in a game like TS. Even the pros can't drive that carefully no matter how hard they try. 8) TS is an arcade game and in my opinion making it that realistic would just spoil the whole gaming experience.

swos

Re: Damage

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 4:43 pm

Newton wrote:

Nice idea swos but I don't think i would work in a game like TS. Even the pros can't drive that carefully no matter how hard they try. 8) TS is an arcade game and in my opinion making it that realistic would just spoil the whole gaming experience.

Oh but it works :) It really does. You can definitely play this game without pushing other cars if you really put your mind to it, and besides, what is a simulation mode chosen from behind six menus away from anyone? As I said TS (and any other this kind of game) is arcadey at default and that's just the way it must be, but I'm saying there are also players who enjoy a good race without pushing others. (We organize that kind of cups with Punatiainen under the name of "Antislider/AntiF1 CUP", and those cups are the reason I play this game) :wink:

swos

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 4:46 pm

Newton wrote:

Oh but it works :) It really does. You can definitely play this game without pushing other cars if you really put your mind to it, and besides, what is a simulation mode chosen from behind six menus away from anyone? As I said TS (and any other this kind of game) is arcadey at default and that's just the way it must be, but I'm saying there are also players who enjoy a good race without pushing others. (We organize that kind of cups with Punatiainen under the name of "Antislider/AntiF1 CUP", and those cups are the reason I play this game) :wink:

Mike Nike

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 5:02 pm

The features Pits with fuel-mode and damage-mode remember me to Generallye ;-)

At least, this kind of idea is appearing time for time in TS and my opinions are...

Pits with fuel mode (where maybe much fuel slows down the car acceleration and max speed) as option would allow new kinds of F1-tracks, including the possibility for more F1-Racing Feeling. In each case, there will take place cups with all F1 tracks someday, where you drive the full number of laps, maybe in 25% of the time, less or more...and you have to go to Pits maybe 1, 2, 3 or 4 times.

Question: damage?
Damage as option, of course ;-) would be actually a nice thing for such F1-Races for example. But all in all it ruins the race. Players have fear to hit a wall...they drive safe...
When 2 cars crash into each other, both are not really happy ;-)
And backward drivers would ruin other players the race much more, if they will appear in such a race with option damage=on.

Maybe there can exist a kind of code, like:
If a car crashs (speed is from one frame to another negative for example...or slowed down)...then, if a car behind it crashs into this car and has to pay for the frontcar's mistake...then the frontcar would freeze 1 second...
Problem is, when there is crashing 1 at start and 19 into them^^...
Bad thing to solute ;-) and also not necessary...take it as funny suggestion ;)

Flexman

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 5:13 pm

Mike Nike wrote:Pits with fuel mode (where maybe much fuel slows down the car acceleration and max speed) as option would allow new kinds of F1-tracks, including the possibility for more F1-Racing Feeling.

No Mike I hope we won't get too much F1-Racing feeling because the Formula 1 is soooooo boooooring. Hope that not all decisions will be made in the pitstops then. ;-)

But being serious: If Anti will implent this feature somedays he should also think that it would be usable to create a track format where it is easy to read if the tracks contain pitstops or not.

Because if you have 500 Tracks and 300 of them with pitstops, and you want to make a race with fuel than the randomizer only should select tracks that contain pitstops.

Same with 2 players locally: If you play a local multiplayer race then the Randomizer should only select tracks that fit on the screen.

There are features that should be made, a randomizer with more options.

Newton

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 7:36 pm

ok swos, maybe damage could be as an option for people who really want to try it but I bet it wouldnt work anyway. You were talking about those puna's antislider cups. I have been racing those cups since they are invented and I can tell you that it wouldn't be good even at those cups without making the racing nothing else but pitstops. Those bumps at the corners would be nice though. :wink:

Jazzyclub

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 8:03 pm

excuse me but!! the music in race? i like the background music when i drive and in the game i listen it like stereo in ANTISLIDER!! :P

PS: i just have selected some track acid-jazz in any case like INCOGNITO - SUNBURN, this song is like soundtrack LUPIN when escaping from zenigata ahahahahahh COOOOLLLLL!!

john_appsteam

Keyb type rate

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 9:33 pm

Hey,
I find that they key repeat delay is too short in the chat window.
Ie. I try to press A I accidentally get AA or / becomes //.
You get the drift. I'm not sure if it's just me or do other experience the same problem.

-John

Jazzyclub

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 9:38 pm

mmmmm feature requests? for me is GAMEPAD SUPPORT!!

Mike Nike

PostTue Nov 16, 2004 10:53 pm

@John Appsteam
I deleted your post. The post belongs to the forum topic for the beta-testing, not here for feature-requests...
The chatproblem was mentioned yet in the other forum topic.

@Jazzyclub
Gamepad/Joystick Support maybe possible. Antti has it on his featurelist yet, as i remember. But it will take a while until he includes this feature, i guess. So long, maybe tools in the web are helping you. With some tools you can convert keyboard input to gamepad or jostick input, as i remember. But i don't know the name(s) of the tool(s), anymore.

Jazzyclub

PostFri Nov 19, 2004 1:09 am

if is possible, i need and like more graphic with theme CITY to take some tracks in the japan city or new york or anything else, but i would like to create a city race...

PS: and some graphic for the spectator? :P
PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions