It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:05 am

Turbo Sliders Feature Requests

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Serpent

PostFri Nov 19, 2004 8:28 pm

I don't know if this has been suggested before or not, but I'd like to get more statistics output in html format, if possible. I mean that I like to store our team's records on our website due to the easiness of the html feature and I think it's cool to store them online for easy look in the past races and records.

What I'd like to get in html format is the end of cup results. In other words, I'd like the game automatically store end of cup results with number of laps and tracks involved in the cup as well as the names and points of players as they are shown in the end of the cup in the "lobby" screen. Thus, after a race I could just upload the new race/cup results on our website so that they could be seen also by those drivers of our team who were not part of the cup at the moment etc.

I don't know what others think about this idea or how hard it'd be to code, but it would be a nice feature anyway.

Cheers.

- Serpent / #metalslidersfinland -

Serpent

PostFri Nov 19, 2004 8:29 pm

Jazzyclub wrote:if is possible, i need and like more graphic with theme CITY to take some tracks in the japan city or new york or anything else, but i would like to create a city race...
Oh yes, got to agree with this one! City tracks would be very cool indeed.

- Serpent -

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostFri Nov 19, 2004 10:45 pm

Serpent wrote:I don't know if this has been suggested before or not, but I'd like to get more statistics output in html format, if possible. I mean that I like to store our team's records on our website due to the easiness of the html feature and I think it's cool to store them online for easy look in the past races and records.

The game already generates log.txt which has almost all relevant information in a text file format. If you enable permanent logs in the statistics options, all your race statistics are saved. And MikeNike has been making a tool that extracts all kinds of statistics from the log file, you might want to check it.

Mike Nike

Community User Level: 5

PostSat Nov 20, 2004 3:03 am

Sorry to say that...but so far, i have neither published my LogFileInterpreter, nor my HTML-Stats-Generator...
Both local projects "on ice", so long i am developing the ServerAdmin Tool for version 0.86b.

But the ServerAdmin Tool will include both these not published tools in a special kind...
Statistics won't look that cool like HLStats for famous Half-Life-mods ;-), but it will include the main needed things, i think.

But, if you want such cup-results, like shown after last race in "Cup Results" screen. Then you just have to make a screenshot of it and convert it to jpg or something else...in MSPaint, if you want.
And if you would like to save your logfile for making more special statistics, but you know, you might forget to save it...then i have also a tool for you (LogFileCopyMaker) ;-)

Serpent

PostSat Nov 20, 2004 10:27 am

Great. I noticed the log option, but didn't know for sure what it does, so my log was pretty much emtpy for the time being.

Anyway, I'd like to keep those cup results in txt or html format, not jpg etc. so I'd rather type them in manually (heh), than to take screenshots and post them. But anyway, good to know it might come out in html format some day...

- Serpent -

Jazzyclub

Community User Level: 3

PostSat Nov 20, 2004 12:01 pm

with php you can use TXT like a database

(Edit from MikeNike: more or less you can see an example at the TS Community Page)

Flexman

Community User Level: 2

PostMon Nov 22, 2004 9:58 am

Jazzyclub wrote:if is possible, i need and like more graphic with theme CITY to take some tracks in the japan city or new york or anything else, but i would like to create a city race...

PS: and some graphic for the spectator? :P

I disagree with all the music and graphic stuff. The game is also the same fun with the graphics it had bevore and you easier could recognice objects in a curve.

However before adding some new graphic and music features, there should rather be fixed some minor bugs und small things like:

- better 2 player mode
- better object recognization (not made out of rectangles)
- a stand alone server (maybe also Fli4l)
- more statistics
- less problems when switching between windows and sliders full screen
etc etc

Mike Nike

PostMon Nov 22, 2004 7:03 pm

I must agree with Flexman.
Especially the objects at corners in curves are not easy to recognize.
This was actually the first (nervy) things, i saw when playing the new version.

a option for split screen mode for 2/3/4 players might be nice, although it is not that necessary, because it is maybe the same level to drive 2k 2k maps in one screen as driving in a splitscreen, where curves are appearing earlier than normal ;-)...so the zoom has to be low and the cars get looking smaller...

Feature Request: Key for making screenshot
I have made maybe over 200 screenshots yet from TS or more (Cup Results, Lap Records, Curious Phenomens in race/in game, Faker, IPs, Backward-Drivers...)...
So far, i have had always pushed the Print-Key, switched with ALT-TAB to windows, opened a new MS-Paint-Window and pasted it in there (and if time, safing it before the next race started)...

So here is my actually request:
In Key Settings there should be a key for the screenshot, like F5.
If you push F5, then it should be saved a bitmap or something equal in a subfolder "./Screenshots".
The Screenshot should be executeable in race.
If possible, also in chat/cup. And, but not so necessary, also in the graphical user interface (in the menus).
What i would like is information about the screenshot in the saved filename, like for example:
Race_2004_11_22_20_02_Ande_Basic.bmp
or:
Chat_2004_11_22_20_01_Playtrix-Slider-Server.bmp
or:
Menu_2004_11_22_20_00_Version-86b_ServerList

Of course, the name has no need to have actually that much information.
But as you know me, i like those lot ;-)

Jazzyclub

PostWed Nov 24, 2004 11:59 am

feat request:
pls no hide the mouse pointer in windowed mode

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostWed Nov 24, 2004 8:45 pm

Mike Nike wrote:In Key Settings there should be a key for the screenshot, like F5.

This might be a good feature, but I have not seen it necessary to implement this since there are already good programs which do this. Well, they don't name the files according to the track names but anyway :).

One good such program is Fraps. You can also make videos with it (when using double-buffered mode) even though it doesn't quite seem to work very well with TS.

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostWed Nov 24, 2004 8:46 pm

Flexman wrote:- better 2 player mode
- better object recognization (not made out of rectangles)
- a stand alone server (maybe also Fli4l)
- more statistics
- less problems when switching between windows and sliders full screen
etc etc

Good ideas again, yes. But standalone server there already is, read README-autoserver.txt :). Hopefully, I will be able to make a Linux version of it, too.

PostThu Nov 25, 2004 2:13 am

ello! :)

the only thing I'd like is the option to swap the direction of the left/right keys when you go in reverse.

xzeal

PostThu Dec 30, 2004 5:00 pm

been a while since anyone posted anything here.

Anyway i was wondering, when i am in a server and i want to view the available servers on the master list, can you create some command wich would list the servers available in the chat area, without me having to quit the server?

Pain~less

PostWed Feb 23, 2005 3:00 pm

I'd like to see a clock which displays the time of the lap im driving at the moment and another one which shows total time.
Stay away from open windows.

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostThu Feb 24, 2005 9:16 am

Nice ideas again from all of you, I will consider them as usual :).

The next bigger thing that will most probably be implemented is race recording possibility.

dragonstar

PostThu Feb 24, 2005 1:42 pm

One thing that could be nice is that the game would tell me when I have driven my personal fastest lap, just like it tells when someone has driven the fastest lap of the race.

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostThu Feb 24, 2005 1:57 pm

dragonstar wrote:One thing that could be nice is that the game would tell me when I have driven my personal fastest lap, just like it tells when someone has driven the fastest lap of the race.

One problem with this is that when playing a network game, you actually get the lap record etc. messages according to the server records. So you hear "lap record" even if your local time is better. Server couldn't know your personal reords so there would be two kinds of messages, for server and for local times. That would be pretty confusing. But maybe...

xzeal

PostSun Feb 27, 2005 6:15 pm

Ande wrote:
dragonstar wrote:One thing that could be nice is that the game would tell me when I have driven my personal fastest lap, just like it tells when someone has driven the fastest lap of the race.

One problem with this is that when playing a network game, you actually get the lap record etc. messages according to the server records. So you hear "lap record" even if your local time is better. Server couldn't know your personal reords so there would be two kinds of messages, for server and for local times. That would be pretty confusing. But maybe...

You could make it possible to turn them off and on. The way i see it : the more features the better.

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostSun Feb 27, 2005 6:44 pm

xzeal wrote:You could make it possible to turn them off and on. The way i see it : the more features the better.

On the other hand, a common problem in software development projects is so called "feature creep". That means adding lots and lots of small non-necessary featuers that will actually make the product worse as deadlines are not met, new features can break old features and focus is not on the most important issues. In addition to this, some seemingly small features can actually be very hard or risky to implement.

Another issue is that I only have a limited amount of time to spend on TS and there is an endless number of feature requests so some kind of prioritizing must be done :).

Here are the bigger things that will hopefully be implemented next (in addition to some bug fixes):

Hopefully in a couple of months:
1) Recording races and playing race videos
2) Joystick support

Later:
3) AI bots (probably not very good drivers) to help beginners train multiplayer games.
4) Punaball support - maybe support for other mods, too

Newton

Community User Level: 1

Community User Level: 1

Joystick Support

PostSun Feb 27, 2005 8:26 pm

Although I don't care a lot, I would like to know what kind of joystick support you mean. Hopefully the controlling system will stay as it is now so that you whether steer or then you don't. It is important that joystick drivers won't get that advantage by being able to steer in a different way than the keyboarders.

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

Re: Joystick Support

PostSun Feb 27, 2005 8:33 pm

Newton wrote:Although I don't care a lot, I would like to know what kind of joystick support you mean. Hopefully the controlling system will stay as it is now so that you whether steer or then you don't. It is important that joystick drivers won't get that advantage by being able to steer in a different way than the keyboarders.

Have no fear, the steering continues to be on/off. According to preliminary tests, it is at least for me very hard to be anywhere as fast with joystick as with keyboard :).

Finster

PostTue Mar 01, 2005 7:19 pm

This has probably been mentioned before but I didn't see it. Has anyone asked about manual transmission and a key or keys to shift gears?

It would also be nice to be abled to have the option to choose manual/automatic or set it as fixed at the start of a race. Like the other autoserver settings.

Thanks
Finster

Leibowitz

PostFri Mar 18, 2005 6:30 pm

well, I'm pretty sure this was mentioned before, but i'm too lazy to check, so here goes:

I'd really like to have a chat directly on the master server, cause right now chatting with other players is kind of stressful...

dby

PostFri Mar 18, 2005 9:51 pm

I agree. It would be nice for setting up cups and stuff.

Finster

Scripting language

PostSun Mar 20, 2005 6:49 pm

Here is an idea that I haven't seen posted and you may have already considered, but I think it is an excellent idea. Embed a scripting language like python, scheme (or make up your own) into the game. If you are familiar with program "The Gimp" http://www.gimp.org you'll know what I mean and this might be a good model to follow.

To be useful we would have access to variables car (and its attributes like acceleration, braking, etc.), players racing (an array/list), laps, track, checkpoint crossings and all the other settings and macros currently available.
Plus a (function/class/routine) to be called to determine the race start and race end, cup start, cup end, on crossing each checkpoint. I believe this would make things like punaball, kobra's extreme bumpz and other mods easily programed with scripts. Plus the autoservers would be much more flexible, etc. Here are some of the things I can think of that would be possible.

The following examples are written in pseudocode and lines beginning with # are comments:
Code: Select all

# Small tracks could have more laps
   # Larger or more difficult ones could have less or
   # they could be random
      if track == "minileap" then laps = 10
      if track == "westleap" then laps = 4
      if track.x == 2000 and track.y == 2000 then laps = 2

# ramdomly select number of laps for each race
   RaceStart() {
      laps = random(10)
   }

# If someone designs a track for a certain car
   # this could be enforced (if the admin wanted to)
   if track == "pu_BigJump" then {
       fixedcar = speeder
       say The car is now speeder
       laps = 6
    }

# Give a different random car to each player
   # probably not exactly fair, but would be an interesting
   # twist
   RaceStart() {
        foreach player in players
            player.car = random(4)
   }

# Make an entire cup a slider, speeder, etc. cup
    CupStart() {
       fixedcar = random(4)
       say This entire cup will be a %fixedcar% cup
    }

# Slow down someone who keeps colliding (poor mans damage)
    # could also adjust braking, steering, etc.
    if player.collide == true then {
        player.car.accel -= 10
        player.collide = false
    }

Of course it would be nice to be able to set other custom variables and do loops etc. I'm sure you imaginitive guys can think of many more ideas of what could be done. I know this is a lot of work to implement but I believe it would make things much more flexible, robust and really be useful in the long run.

Finster
PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions