It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:13 am

Turbo Sliders Feature Requests

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Whiplash

Community User Level: 5

PostTue May 04, 2010 8:39 am

dede wrote:With photoshop..

Oh, I tough you did that with Winamp. :?
Come on, give me instructions. You do it only once, or you have to edit every track image?

dede

PostTue May 04, 2010 11:19 am

I opened the image, deleted the black area so that it looked transparent, saved the image.

I did it only for the bridges, I didn't try with black holes (I don't care if they are black).

Whiplash

PostTue May 04, 2010 7:56 pm

Now I just wonder why I don't have that problem with SDL. It's all cool with it, but it's not totally smooth like with OpenGL.

Whiplash

PostFri Jun 25, 2010 10:50 pm

-Enabling halftime and changing sides in PunaBall. (That doesn't mean that playing without halftime and changing sides should be disabled).

-Enabling new game type: Capturing The Flag. Player who capture the flag from the opponents base must drive it to his home base. Player who capture the flag should get changed colour of his car (or there can be some other sign). Opponents must stop him by touching. When someone touch him he will lose the flag and get his team colour back. That will make possibility for other team mates to grab the flag again from the same point of the opponents base.
Last edited by Whiplash on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Whiplash

PostTue Jan 11, 2011 10:02 pm

-Accurate deleting system in track editor. Now we are able just to delete previous tile (object) from the track (by backspace key), but It could be great if we could delete every single part of the track that we click on. On this way we will not have to put other objects over the old ones to make particular changes on the track. Notepads file (text) will be more cleaner (smaller).

misterpom

Community User Level: 3

PostWed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 am

It was probably suggested before but I won't read 25 pages, no way.

Mute feature for chat. When the race starts, the admin should have the option of "/mute 1" or something like this, so people won't talk during races.

Whiplash

PostWed Jan 12, 2011 9:53 pm

misterpom wrote:It was probably suggested before but I won't read 25 pages, no way.

Mute feature for chat. When the race starts, the admin should have the option of "/mute 1" or something like this, so people won't talk during races.

Yeah. And mute option for particular player. /mute misterpom. :P

GR8Arjen

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 12:37 am

Well, talking about, ehm talking during the race... How about people talking immediatly when they cross the line. This is what annoys me the most!

It happens during the race, and with qualifying while people are still running there final hot lap or fighting for possition during the race because they still have half a lap to finish!

A mute function would be a great sollution for this.

Whiplash

PostFri Mar 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Few more changes/features would be also welcome in future:
-New display information: we should know easily how far are drivers in front and behind of us. It should be probably bottom of the right side of the screen (like I showed) , but could be anywhere actually. Also, I used too big font there; it should be just a regular letters and colour we already have.

-Display adjustment should be one new main menu/video option. We can't use tab button for so many variations. Players should have all particular informations to chose - on or off.

-Realistic movement of the cars should be added. Cars should not have spinning ability while they are stationary. Cars should have ability to turn left or right only if they accelerate or if they're going reverse.
Also, spinning while flying after the jump should be disabled or hardly reduced. Good example is GeneRally driving game.
I'm not sure how exactly to make it, but I guess front and back wheels are incorporated together. Tire marks would not be necessary for the front wheels while we are braking etc., but would be welcome anyway (those tire marks could be just much softer or something like that).

-Rot-image of the cars should include more then 64 images. 360 would be perfect (1 image for each degree). Of course, spinning of the cars should be about 4x or 5x faster. On that way turning of the cars would be much more (even perfectly) smoother and preciser. Rot-image could probably have more rows (not just 1 with 64 images in it (2048x32) like now). It could have, for example, 6 rows with 60 images in each of them (1920x192, which is 360 images), and that would be perfect.

-Better optimisation for new Windows 7 OS and for OpenGl in general.

-Also, 26-32 players playing on the same track would be great. Combined with 4000x4000 maps it would be awesome.
Last edited by Whiplash on Sat May 21, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Tijny

PostFri Mar 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Whiplash wrote:-Realistic movement of the cars should be added. Cars should not have spinning ability while they are stationary. Cars should have ability to turn left or right only if they accelerate or if they're going reverse.
Also, spinning while flying after the jump should be disabled or reduced.
-Rot-image of the cars should include more then 64 images. 360 would be perfect (1 image for each degree). Of course, spinning of the cars should be about 4x or 5x faster. On that way turning of the cars would be much more (even perfectly) smoother and preciser.
Wow... those are some God-awful suggestions. These things are part of the beauty of the game, and should never be f***ed with.

Mike Nike

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 12:08 am

i agree with tijny there..

though adjustable huds and more work with checklines/sectors could be nice

Whiplash

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 12:00 pm

Tijny wrote:
Whiplash wrote:-Realistic movement of the cars should be added. Cars should not have spinning ability while they are stationary. Cars should have ability to turn left or right only if they accelerate or if they're going reverse.
Also, spinning while flying after the jump should be disabled or reduced.
-Rot-image of the cars should include more then 64 images. 360 would be perfect (1 image for each degree). Of course, spinning of the cars should be about 4x or 5x faster. On that way turning of the cars would be much more (even perfectly) smoother and preciser.
Wow... those are some God-awful suggestions. These things are part of the beauty of the game, and should never be f***ed with.

These things should be added you bastard. That doesn't mean that something old would be disabled. Realistic movement should be added without disabling "old fashion" movement.
Realistic movement should be option for the car editing. Some cars would have it, some would not. Car maker would decide what to do.
Last edited by Whiplash on Sat May 21, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whiplash

PostWed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 pm

New camera possibilities and few new commands:
-4 new keys should be enabled for few new camera options.
For example: keys "+", "-", "End" and "Home".
With keys "+" and "-" we should be able to change camera from one player to the next one during the race (during the straight lines for example, or whenever we want to). Accelerating of our car should not be broken while we are changing camera. We should have full control of our car even we are watching another player.
This feature will help us on big racing tracks and also on big Battle, XBumps and other maps. It will be useful for wrecked players too. Also, wrecked players should be out of sight for non-wrecked players when they are using "+" and "-" because wrecked (dead) players is not interesting and useful to watch.
Also, administrator should be able to turn those options on or off with new commands.

With the key "End" we should be able to activate "free camera" to enable moving camera whenever we want to (after pressing "End" key, we would move the camera with the arrows). After next "End" pressing, camera should be fixed there and we should be able to use arrows for control our car. The key "Home" will allow us to take back "chasing camera". It's important that we have possibility to change speed of the free camera.

-Developer should find a way to make possible that players can change recorded videos to some popular video format(s) with any kind of PC trash. I think that would extremely increase popularity of the game.
I'm not sure if that's even possible, but if it is, that would be just a great feature.
Last edited by Whiplash on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.

dede

PostThu Mar 31, 2011 11:39 am

Whiplash wrote:Also, fuel should be enabled in PunaBall too.

I believe this is possible already. Anddru made some pit-arena.. :P

Whiplash

PostTue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 am

-Those players who use larger resolutions should have possibility to increase size of font of different letters. Changing size of chat, menu, player list, fastest laps (records) informations and others should be separated, so player could choose which ones will be bigger, which ones smaller.

-Few new nicely designed default cars with rot-images should be added: F1 car, Rally car, Racing (Sport) car etc.

-Car editing should give us one more option:
When we are using brake, we should not hear braking sound of some cars (F1 car and similar cars) and it should leave tire marks on the track more softer, or not at all.
That option could be called "brake sound" and we would put 1 for "yes" or 0 for "no".
Also, some cars should have reduced smoke effect (like F1 car). Maybe the solution could be to turn off smoke for all cars while they are on tarmac (tire marks are enough), but when they touch the grass or sand it should be showed just like it is now (so in fact, there will be only dust, not smoke anymore.).

-We should have a car editor that would let us make our cars in 3D that could spin around while light is turned on from one side so we can get shadowed cars like those default ones. We could put the camera on top of it and take rot-image of it. I guess that's the way of how default cars are built.
Otherwise, developer (cars designer) should explain to us all details of how to create those cars: what programs does he use, what its options we need to use to create a car, how to make rot-image if it, etc. I'm pretty sure it's not that hard.

-Also, with non-visible ghosts, we could maybe have much bigger (or even unlimited) number of players on the same track? If they all start from the first position, that's maybe possible. That would give us many great possibilities. We could make big live qualifications so all players would have the same possibility to play the main race. :wink:
Last edited by Whiplash on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

S_Racer

slipstream !

PostThu Jun 09, 2011 2:44 pm

You know, that feature to record the raceline for AI players, maybe it's possible to use it to check if a car behind follows your trail and eventually give a litlle bonus of speed (x0.1 more speed) but less grip (downforce lost) to the car behind if it's close enough (within a few dozen px).

Meaning if you are following a car in front from up close, you get into the slipstream and overtake it at the braking zone, like in RL.

Would it be possible ? that'd make all circuit racing more real... :D
Silver Arrows Racing | Tracks, cars and events

Whiplash

PostMon Dec 19, 2011 4:22 pm

-Just imagine how cool it would be to have a track editor that can generate randomized tracks. We could decide how big, curvy, tight/wide, slow/fast etc. it should be, and the editor would generate the new track just by itself.
I know, I know, that's probably very hard to make by coding (programming), but man, that would be just f*** awesome if it's possible!

Wokinger

PostMon Dec 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Whiplash wrote:-Just imagine how cool it would be to have a track editor that can generate randomized tracks. We could decide how big, curvy, tight/wide, slow/fast etc. it should be, and the editor would generate the new track just by itself.
I know, I know, that's probably very hard to make by coding (programming), but man, that would be just f*** awesome if it's possible!

It could be easy to generate basic randomized tracks. All you need is to create basic parts (ex. 100x100 resolution): straight, corners and write script, which connect it in randomized order.

S_Racer

PostMon Dec 19, 2011 5:09 pm

nah nah nah... better to have the generator create a random path that would after be redered as the track with lines on the sied and kerbs in the corners (generate something like track makers do in photoshop/gimp)

Mike Nike

PostMon Dec 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Whiplash wrote:-Just imagine how cool it would be to have a track editor that can generate randomized tracks. We could decide how big, curvy, tight/wide, slow/fast etc. it should be, and the editor would generate the new track just by itself.

hehe..i keep thinking about that from time to time too..

but yeah, it should be possible with options like: nr of curves, pit yes/no, ~length of lap in seconds based on a specific car...or nr of trackparts(such as 100x100 road fields)
hmm..you make me wanna program again

Whiplash

PostMon Dec 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Mike Nike wrote:hehe..i keep thinking about that from time to time too..

but yeah, it should be possible with options like: nr of curves, pit yes/no, ~length of lap in seconds based on a specific car...or nr of trackparts(such as 100x100 road fields)
hmm..you make me wanna program again

:) I believe it's more complicated than you just described. The hardest thing is calculating which tile can be connected to another. Making the track just with tarmac could be easy, but those parts where you have kerb+curve could be tricky. There is just too many combinations. Computer will have to calculate the perfect angles for each tile to get a round. I guess 1 lap tracks are much easier to make like that. But, for sure, you understand its hardness more than I.
Even If we had to make checkpoints by ourself, it would still be great. Having good base on easy way is already big thing. We could edit it later.

S_Racer

PostMon Dec 19, 2011 9:39 pm

i would prefer to get drafting before anything else in TS !

Let say, few percent more top speed when between 0px and 20px of an opponent.

Possible ?

Buraczek

PostWed Dec 21, 2011 11:20 am

When Ande come back why not:)

[FTR] Burnout

Community User Level: 2

Community User Level: 2

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 2:20 am

One idea I have to implement a 'slipstream' effect is if a .car pattern file could be made to work just like a .trk pattern file. In other words we can design the car patterns to behave uniquely based on which color is used on the design.

I see a slipstream effect possible if we trail a gradual 'acceleration effect' behind the physical contact area of the car in the pattern file...behaving as a terrain acceleration.

Currently Turbo Sliders only supports 32x32 and contact or non-contact to define the physical car specifications (like binary: 0 = no contact 1 = contact), but I imagine it would take alot of work to code extra color definitions for different effects.

Possibilities could be endless for realism modding though....
"That boy has got alot of talent, if only he can harness it on a weekly basis."

Whiplash

PostWed Mar 14, 2012 6:20 pm

-One cute and easy to do thing should be also implemented: hiding infos about player name during the race, battle, xb or whatever. Combined with "same colour for all players" it could give a new way of playing.
By this I mean that nobody could see what's the name of any player when TAB is pressed. All names would be showed only on stats that come after the race/battle/xb/blabla. :wink:
PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions