It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Turbo Sliders Feature Requests

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostSun Mar 20, 2005 7:54 pm

Scripting is a nice idea. Making a full-featured script language would of course be quite a big job but maybe adding some variables and conditional expressions in the current system might be enough. "I will think about it" as I often say :).

Mike Nike

Community User Level: 5

PostFri Jun 03, 2005 1:05 am

fasteddie made a post at the topic "JGG Support Requests", but i like to make a difference between JGG Support and Development Support, where theTS related feature requests should be posted.
fasteddie made such kind of post, but i could not move it into another thread, so i just quote eddie now and delete his post from the last thread.

fasteddie wrote:

Here's another thought I have for a possible future feature of the game...

A way to see which players are in which servers, without having to enter the server yourself. This would be very helpful when trying to find someone, or, a good way to avoid being seen by someone. Smile

OR, a "Search for player" command, perhaps like "/whereis <player>", and it will respond with the server name (server info) that the player is in, or "Player not connected".

Very Happy

The first request exist already.
The second is part of the system, a master server chat would anyway allow ...or an unoffical friendship network, like in Steam, if anyone knows this...

Mike Nike

PostFri Jun 03, 2005 1:10 am

And here a post by me, which i moved from the same topic (http://jollygoodgames.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15)

But i took relation to it:

Quote:
And one question is whether people would really want to use this feature or would it be something to try a couple of times and then go back to the old way.

TS 0.86 Players had the problem of driving fast but missing a curve, since it came too fast in the screen. Orientation was based for example on random steering in at orientation lines catched from the landscape.

Zoom <1 helped there, but then the cars were too small/tiny. Some drivers could not drive like this or they liked to have zooms >=1, for example.

Since TS 1.0 a predictive camera is usable.
But in my case, even i wished this feature in the hope it was usable, i couldn't get used to it when testing it a short time. It's a kind of irritation, you have, when steering.
On the other side, when using predictive camera perfectly, you can switch it on in tight curves after long straights with fast cars and after the curve you switch it off again. Or you just start getting used to zooms like 0.8 (Tijny) or 0.9 (Mike Nike, Lzan). Though i still drive here and there with 1.0.

Well, are there other things like pred. camera which helps us to see curves coming earlier? Track knowledge...landscape braking zones or whatever...yes...

But except zoom or fit in screen, nothing by TS.

Arrows which are pointing the way before curves, you might know from Rally games...but in TS that would be maybe not wanted or not even necessary and it is anyway not really possible.

But what would be solutable is...to have transparent arrows showing the way to the middle of the next checkline (though with intelligent detection of checkline combinations, even for example 180 degree turns can be explicit detected).

Would that help in some way? Just a less important piece of thought, i can imagine ^^

Like another idea is: highlighting the next <chl> checklines, where chl is the option of the numbers of checklines (0 to 3 for example), which would be half transparently highlighted while racing.
For example: the next checkline you have to pass is highlighted yellow, the checkline after is orange and the 3rd one would be in red (all half transparent).

Advantages:
1) You see, where you have to drive (no checklines missed, optimal lines can be found out soon - which would avoid/minimize else existing problems...

2)
As Track Tester/BugFixer (or shortcut searcher): you see, where checklines are missing or not wanted shortcuts are or where checklines are too short -> without the need to watch in editor.

Disadvantages:
Advantage 1) Wink
Since some tracks are based on the fun, you will have, to find out the right way or something equal

2) The checklines would nerv, when they are highlighted
3) They are maybe only used when driving the track for the very first time or when you havent driven it for long time
4) It needs some time to implement for Ande, which means: other things will be implemented later Wink

fasteddie399

Community User Level: 2

Community User Level: 2

PostFri Jun 03, 2005 1:25 am

oops, you're right - should have posted that here. :)

mark_burnett

Community User Level: 1

PostTue Jun 21, 2005 1:58 am

I dont know if it has already been suggested and to be honest i would be shocked if it hasnt, but why dont you make the servers have the ability to have a password protection? this way drivers just looking for a driver anywhere can eneter servers like the playtrix.net servers and others such as tournament servers and even just friends wanting to play can make it more organised without having to ban everyone involved?

Mark
http://www.tscups.com

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostTue Jun 21, 2005 6:14 am

mark_burnett wrote:I dont know if it has already been suggested and to be honest i would be shocked if it hasnt, but why dont you make the servers have the ability to have a password protection?

So far the reason has been that having a server with password is almost the same thing as having a server which is not advertized in the master server. So, if you distribute the IP to the people you want to join and don't put the server in the list, it is quite close to having a public server with a password.

But we'll see, maybe one day..:)

Jazzyclub

Community User Level: 3

PostTue Jun 21, 2005 10:53 am

So, if you distribute the IP to the people you want to join and don't put the server in the list, it is quite close to having a public server with a password.

But we'll see, maybe one day..:)

and if you not have the contact of all? how can you say your ip at all?

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostTue Jun 21, 2005 10:59 am

Jazzyclub wrote:and if you not have the contact of all? how can you say your ip at all?

Er, the same way you would give the password?

Mouse

PostSun Jun 26, 2005 3:32 am

i have an idea, during the race, you can hear "lap record" when someone breaks the record, also fastest lap is announced. i think it would be nice if personal best could be included. and "you suck" for the person with the worst lap time. hehe just joking "you suck ass" would be better. :D

Mike Nike

PostSun Jun 26, 2005 9:50 pm

Damn, made a post but closed the window after clicking on Preview instead of Submit :S

Well, in shortform:
"personal record"-message and sound - feature is wished and nice! :)

Another one would be: showing the fastest laps of each driver in TAB stats somehow.

"personal fastest lap"-message and sound would make sense only in very long qualification races in my opinion, so "personal record" would be the same, if the track is new for the player(s). All in all not necessary and i won't really wish to have this feature as sound. But maybe a kind design lightning of the laptime in the spacebar switchable laptime stats would show also that the last lap was a new personal fastest lap in the race. Or another graphical solution would be fine.

Jazzyclub

PostTue Jul 05, 2005 11:21 pm

more commands for admin side like: /restart with another pass, different for normal admin

Mike Nike

/points 0 1 2 3 4

PostWed Jul 06, 2005 12:55 am

Hmm, got another idea to combine a feature request with a current TS modification...(without loosing downward compatibility)

On the one hand /points 0 1 2 3 4 is for example not possible - it would be nice due to some funny reasons, if it would be :)

Well, in addition another kind of modification, which would be a little bit like "X-Bowl" could have 1 checkline to pass. The one who pass it at first lost...the one who stays in the safe zone is crossing the line last and get the most points.

Though this modification would be a kind of track with 2 sides - left/top the safe zone; in the middle the jumps; right/bottom the out zone/dead zone, while the checkline should be right after the jumps.
Unfortunately there would be only 1 side then to be pushed out and i am not sure if some intelligent track designs would minimize the possibility that players can't just keep at the left side (or at the top) to avoid being pushed out.

Mike Nike

automatic trackdownload of updated trackversion

PostSat Jul 09, 2005 4:12 am

Well known Problem:

Author A creates Track T1.1.
Player P downloads Track T1.1 at server by Author A.
Author A makes changings in his Track T1.1.
Now Track T1.1 is a new version = T1.2.

Player P tries to download Track T1.2 (updated track version of an existing track with the same name (& author?) etc.) ->
Now something like the following appears:
"Can't initialize the track. Track file might be broken."

Solution so far:

Player P quit TS.
Player P deletes Track T1.1 in tracks/downloads direction.
Player P starts TS, joins server by Author A and downloads Track T1.2 as soon as the racestart button was clicked by the serveradmin.

Advantages:

might be there, yes...but ->

Disadvantages:

- old track won't be driven anymore (that's still ok, actually) - and the more time it was driven, the worse it might be, perhaps.

- Player P can't immediately download Track T1.2 and can't take part at the race at the track T1.2 unless he is doing the described steps - but these are taking so long, that the race is lost anyway or even the next race will be missed, too.

Comment: imagine you are in a knockout tournament and this will happen to you and you don't saw coming that the next track version is not matching your trackversion - you are out, lost (if you don't tell it before race start and opponents are fair to skip the race)
-> Well, it just happened to me and i feared this will happen before.
I saw the trackname -> saw i could not load it -> told it (before race started) -> but unfortunately the serveradmin disagreed to skip the race :( while 1 opponent was fair to say the race should not count.
And since this cup was a kind unofficial teamcup, this effected my teamember, too, since it was important to keep both teammates in the cup :(

suggested solution:
it is possible to recognize another trackversion -> yes
so, can't the solution look like:

Player P tries to download Track T1.2 (updated track version of an existing track with the same name (& author?) etc.) ->
Player P downloads the Track T1.2 (while Track T1.1 keeps existing).
Now TS must know which track to use or not to use when selecting it or when taking part at a race at this track? -> isn't it solutable by comparing server/client trackversion?
On this way, even old trackversions can be played too.
Just the trackselection might be perhaps only solutable by writing a new /tracks command like /tracks /add <track> <version>
version = 1 or 2 or 3 ... (default: 1)

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

Re: automatic trackdownload of updated trackversion

PostSat Jul 09, 2005 10:33 am

Mike Nike wrote:suggested solution:
it is possible to recognize another trackversion -> yes
so, can't the solution look like:

One problem is that recognizing old/new track version is not 100% certain. Especially, in some tracks where there are not pattern files included, it might result downloading the same track always when the track is driven.

Anyway, I can try to think of something that would fix this problem. Another solution, of course, would be if people could release their track only once, or if there are problems that are fixed, rename their fixed track as xxxx_v2.trk or similar. But of course it would be better to be solved by the game and not relying on every track maker...

Sativa

PostTue Jul 12, 2005 11:06 pm

Hi all, someone can help me? I am having a problem in the creation of tiles, I wanted to make one tile of collision but I only obtained to make one tile where the car passed on this tile. How I can create one tile of collision?

Thank you!

Jazzyclub

PostTue Jul 12, 2005 11:45 pm

wrong topic, but i can help you.....
you need create a pat image file with 256 index color "like a gif" and use color index 61 "like trees" to make new tiles like an obstacle :wink:

PostWed Jul 13, 2005 1:16 am

hehe sorry for that post here... Thanks for help me Jazzy! :)

sv

PostFri Jul 15, 2005 7:34 pm

Hello

When pressing the control+left when playing a recording
the recording plays from the beggining but then its not possible
to record it anymore u have to get out and back in again

something that should be fixed

sV

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostSun Jul 17, 2005 2:48 pm

sv wrote:When pressing the control+left when playing a recording
the recording plays from the beggining but then its not possible
to record it anymore u have to get out and back in again

That is a known issue, yes. For some technical details you don't want to know, it would have been too much work to make it work :).

PostMon Jul 25, 2005 5:41 pm

How about being able to draft behind the other cars....if you get close enough you get a short speed boost?

Perhaps if you'd like to complicate the coding you could ad an influx of wind and then the draft would be more powerful when behind a car who is braking the wind?

:D

Mouse

PostMon Jul 25, 2005 5:56 pm

yes i have said that before, drafting would be an awsome feature. especially for my NASCAR Endurance League, oh please put drafting in, it would be great, no no, Frickin Sweet!

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostMon Jul 25, 2005 7:16 pm

This has been wished before, too. One problem with it is that track records should be switched on when this is on (or mark those laps where you get draft as c laps). I can't promise this is in the top of the todo list but I try to remember it :).

Anthony

PostMon Jul 25, 2005 7:18 pm

Have these two features been pitched before? (They probably already have. :P)

- Instant Messaging: The ability to "chat" with other users directly, outside of servers.
- Outside /WHO Command: The ability to see who's in a specific server without actually connecting to it.

Fastest Lap Times (EasySlider; 7/28/05):
Minileap: 10.054 Working On: 9.900
Sandslid: 17.415 Working On: 17.200
Forestry: 24.851 Working On: 24.600

Vardy

PostMon Jul 25, 2005 8:08 pm

I'd love to see an /ignore command in the future... Sometimes it's totally impossible to talk with all the spamming idiots on the server.

Also, it would be nice if I was able to cancel track loading during the process. It's extremely annoying to wait until the track fully loads and only then get out of the server.

Thx for the attontion, and sorry if it's a repeated request... It's particurlaly difficult today to navigate here... Prolly my crappy internet :x

Jazzyclub

PostTue Jul 26, 2005 9:54 am

X ANDE: we can know what feats are in your todo list?
PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions