It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:03 pm

New gentleman rules

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Ivan Drago

Community User Level: 2

New gentleman rules

PostThu Apr 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Anyone else who thinks that the old way is old and fucked up? My suggestion from now on for normal fair nonghost racing cups would be this.

1) Pwning/pushing/beefing etc not allowed. Just what is usually meant by fair.
2) When you f*** up and someone hits you, you DON'T HAVE TO WAIT and DON'T HAVE TO LET pass.

f*** up is life and shit happens. Having to wait and let others pass kills the racing.

I'm not saying this should be the only way to go from now on. Just something to consider when organizing new RACING cups.

The Dude

Community User Level: 1

PostThu Apr 10, 2008 6:02 pm

I agree with Ivan Drago on this one, except all the cuss words ;)

Limp-pu

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 12:13 am

lets try this sometimes, ivan could organise a cup (slidercup naturally)with these rules ;)

dragonstar

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 4:53 am

I also agree with Ivan on this. Racing shouldn't be taken so seriously. For me the game is about having fun and winning ain't the only fun thing.

kovalainen

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 5:50 am

Its nice just to race & battle with players, it was like that when i first started playing but it rarely happens nowdays :? a few too many ghost cups.

Tijny

Community User Level: 5

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 6:22 am

Yeah, I agree as well. I support the original idea of gentleman racing, but over the years, these rules have been overly exaggerated. Often enough, a player crashes in the first lap, intentionally letting the whole bunch pass afterwards. It's these cases that ruin the game, letting just 1 player pass isn't so bad.

Scud

Community User Level: 3

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 6:29 am

Sounds good to me. We can use these rules in my Newbies,Beefs....Cup.
If i got right what u meant = Only fu**ing others race on purpose is not ok.
I think all normal racers knows what is cool and what aints so cool to do. :P
And in real life racing "shit happens" too. Good racers dont only focus in own driving lines, gotta watch out others too...and if u ruin your race by hitting player who is stuck in some place, it is your personal problem, right? :lol:

BTW...tonights NBPC is cancelled, im going to get drunk again. :)
But server is open in afternoon...
~siLciR <3~

iBlaze²

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 6:38 am

i agree, but i must admit i'm one of the guilty ones for doing this lol :roll:

i think it's just a habit i've got into to keep everyone happy, because the last thing i wanna do is be accused of blocking on purpose (like the eMiliano's of TS)

but if everyone else is happy at not being let past then i'm happy not to let people pass :)

Ivan Drago

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 7:00 am

Scud wrote:If i got right what u meant = Only fu**ing others race on purpose is not ok.
I think all normal racers knows what is cool and what aints so cool to do. :P
And in real life racing "shit happens" too. Good racers dont only focus in own driving lines, gotta watch out others too...and if u ruin your race by hitting player who is stuck in some place, it is your personal problem, right? :lol:

Exactly, very well said.

dede

Re: New gentleman rules

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 7:57 am

Ivan Drago wrote:2) When you f*** up and someone hits you, you DON'T HAVE TO WAIT and DON'T HAVE TO LET pass.

I don't agree. When you crash and somebody hits you, you gain more gap than you previously had, resulting to an unfair action imo. It would be fair enough if you wait your opponent so that the gap gets more or less the same as before crashing. If you crash one more time, I think it should be worth of giving way.

Janne

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 am

I think this is good idea especially for organised non-ghost tournaments, because the more serious people are racing the more unlikely they're to obey the let-pass rule. Yet it sucks and makes me just very irritated, if everyone isn't racing with same rules so I hardly will be joining any organised tournament with the "old" gentleman rules.

olio

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 8:38 am

I think I'm quite close with what Tijny said (if I understood him even close correctly). For example first corner on first lap and crash, just keep going, don't let the whole group pass you. But if two players are fighting for the spot alone and another crashes, then it's nice to give way to the one who hurted because of it.

iBlaze²

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 9:09 am

olio wrote:For example first corner on first lap and crash, just keep going, don't let the whole group pass you. But if two players are fighting for the spot alone and another crashes, then it's nice to give way to the one who hurted because of it.

That's what i meant earlier when i said about being one of the guilty ones. If i'm starting at the front and f*** up at the first corner, everyone else piles into me so i let them all through. That's what we should stop doing.

However, if you crash when racing just 1 person then we should still let that person through.

dede

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 10:39 am

It would just be better if you guys stop crashing at all, at least when you have many players behind.

Scud

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 11:09 am

Yet it sucks and makes me just very irritated, if everyone isn't racing with same rules so I hardly will be joining any organised tournament with the "old" gentleman rules.

This is the reason why i think this "new gentleman rule" will be better.. Im not saying i like it better than "old rule" but this way all players are playing under same rule...

Ps. One way to get players crashing less is adding forcedamage in cups... this
would work maybe better if cars damage level rises only when hitting trees, fences etc.. NO when car hits car. Is this possible? Dont know..
~siLciR <3~

Janne

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Scud wrote:Ps. One way to get players crashing less is adding forcedamage in cups... this would work maybe better if cars damage level rises only when hitting trees, fences etc.. NO when car hits car. Is this possible? Dont know..

I have never tested but I think it should be possible as in sliders.ini file those two things are separated:

"# Damage settings

--
MaxCarHitEffect 2000
MaxWallHitEffect 2000"

If MaxCarHitEffect would be set to 0, it obviously should work.

Mouse

PostFri Apr 11, 2008 3:31 pm

I don't agree with #2. What Dede said pretty much matched my thoughts.

I think the only time I would not let someone pass after crashing is if they are partly the cause of my crash. Bumping from behind, extreme pressure... ect... If it happens again, then I would move because the person behind is probably just faster.

Overall, i just say to the person trying to pass, give some room. Less pressure = less crashing (void for some players... who feel no pressure like robots). Always been my theory..

mikko

PostWed Apr 16, 2008 3:25 pm

Been away for quite some time, so sorry for the delay. Cups and tournaments are different, but regarding casual racing, my opinion is pretty much the same as that of Ivan Drago. Even ghost is better than the rule of letting pass after crash, as it shifts the focus off from racing. Furthermore, the rule makes racing more serious, which is not good if people just want to enjoy the game and have fun.

Better is: No pushing, no blocking. If you crash by accident, just keep going. After all, it is not very important who wins and who does not. But it is important that people have fun with the game and that casual racing is alive.

Return to Suggestions