It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Idea for a new type of punaball

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

StealthBD

Idea for a new type of punaball

PostWed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Hello there community. I came here to share to all of you what I have been pondering about lately. Me and Famagustas have been testing a new possibility of which might turn out to be quite fun to add to the list of awesome mods already out there.

We are looking for someone to create a new car type which would have about the same configuration of a regular anti-slider going backwards but with an exception. The speed of this new car would have to be 1/4 or 2/4 of a speed faster (still slower than an anti-slider).

No need to worry about new graphics, make it a reversed anti-slider (the back is the front and the front is the back) - Assuming that I can use without a problem the graphics from that car for this mod.

The same rules apply like any other match line rule, blocks etc...
What changes the whole experience is that fact that both teams would have different cars. This would be 1 Anti-slider for each team and 1 Blocker for each team.

A few technical details for the exact specification of this new car type:

-When ball hits the car, the car is actually slowed down by the ball
(like driving backwards)
-Car increases acceleration when driving straight but not when turning. (like driving backwards)

So, what do you guys think? Any suggestions, questions or anything else on topic, please feel free to ask.

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS

We are still thinking of a good name to call this project, you guys can help out with it as well. We were thinking mixed punaball or hybrid punaball, you guys probably do have a better name for it. Just be creative and let your imagination flow!

Cheers everyone :)

Tijny

Community User Level: 5

PostWed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

And this would be interesting because? To me, the idea of having 2 massively inferior cars on the field just seems a lot like 1vs1 with obstacles.

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have 2 different cars on the same team - as long as it's balanced. For example, I would love to play a game where both teams consist of one Anti and one Slider. Just.. not this.

StealthBD

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 5:35 am

Tijny, thank-you for posting. I understand your concern in regards to of this mod being like having obstacles in the middle of the field whilst trying to score a goal for your side, and it is a valid premise you have given, and this is what I have to say about it.

The matches would be balanced since the teams would have one car each on both sides, and these new cars the blockers would be just slightly slower then the anti-sliders and they would primarily be a defensive car that supports the anti-sliders covering any gaps it leaves behind.

There would actually be a role of for attacker and role for the defender, and not just cycling through offensive and defensive tactics depending on a player's position like our regular punaball.

I understand your concern, rest assured we won't allow that to happen. The car can't be too sub-par or else there is no fun about playing this mod at all.

Tijny

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am

StealthBD wrote:The matches would be balanced since the teams would have one car each on both sides, and these new cars the blockers would be just slightly slower then the anti-sliders and they would primarily be a defensive car that supports the anti-sliders covering any gaps it leaves behind.

There would actually be a role of for attacker and role for the defender, and not just cycling through offensive and defensive tactics depending on a player's position like our regular punaball.
Of course I know it's going to be fair between the teams, what I meant by unbalanced is that the AntiSliders would have a much bigger role than the "Blockers." As Del said, one of Punaball's biggest strengths is that you aren't tied to a role and I don't think taking that away would be a good thing.

This reminds me of a funny story, dating from the very first organized Punaball competitions many centuries ago. There was a guy competing with his brother (they would usually make it to the final against me and my then-teammate) and said brother didn't do anything but stay back like a goalkeeper while the other guy pretty much played us alone. You can trust me when I say those games were no fun at all. :)

StealthBD

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 3:16 pm

This is supposed to be an experiment to attempt to add a new mod to the TS arsenal. The last idea I suggested actually received some attention, the mod so called Tiruca that Mandeagle developed which is a missile pool mod. It is true that puna is quite a fine piece of art, one that I think can be refined if we give it a chance. If it does not work, we scrap it and learn from our mistakes, if it does, we would have a new mod in no time.

In order to negotiate with the problem that Tijny initially brought up, I think that a smaller arena would help to deliver more functionality to the role of the blocker, but before thinking about a new arena, it would rather be best to test just the car with one of the LVP arenas and write down any observation so that we can later troubleshoot any outstanding technical issue.

Del, I don't know how to make cars, and if it has anything to do with programming even worse since it is not my forte, therefore I am trying to find anyone that could volunteer with their skills and help us out with this. Yes, I agree with you Del that punaball shines because of the role flexibility between the attackers and defenders, but why not give this a try? This does not require a cost benefit analysis, no one loses if all hell turns loose. We have nothing to lose with this, just gain through exploration and discovery.

Jan

Community User Level: 3

Community User Level: 3

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 3:34 pm

In my opinion it could be better if there's two normal antisliders and one significantly slower one per side. So it'd be like normal punaball with goalkeepers. Probably the goals and the arena should be a bit bigger to allow more scoring and the mess like in normal 3vs3 puna. The problem here might be though that no one ever wants to be the goalkeeper because of it's restricted role.

StealthBD

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Thank-you for joining in Jan. Fama thought as well about making it a 3x3 mod with one blocker and two anti-sliders, but keeping the same punaball arena. In order for us to really be able to measure the effectiveness of the blocker, I was thinking of trying it out first in a regular 2x2 arena, if it proves to be useless... then either: (A) attempt a 3x3 with it as previously mentioned or (B) make a smaller arena to accommodate for the lack of functionality of the car (being more of a goalkeeper and not being as supportive as it should be).

shyguy1001

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Personally I'm all for a 5 a side punaball tournament but that's just me haha :P

Return to Suggestions