It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:21 pm

What do you want to see changed?

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Are you happy with the Forum?

Yes
47%
No
41%
Undecided
9%
Other
3%

Total votes : 32

• Author

Hatu

Community User Level: 1

What do you want to see changed?

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 1:05 pm

What do you want to change about Turbo Sliders the game, the Jollygood Website, or Jollygood Forums here.

Please inform me, so I can design a plan and make the appropriate changes to make everyone happy and keep the users flowing.
Jollygood Games Community Manager - http://www.jollygoodgames.com

Mouse

Community User Level: 5

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 1:22 pm

I think the forum is in bad shape now....but i am sure now that there are solutions to the spam problems, and now that Hatu is here to help, the forum is on the right track.

As for the game, the biggest problem is this "0/0". We need more players. Make it happen Hatu! Me and many other players are here to help you!

Hatu

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 3:49 pm

i was thinking of changing the forum theme, and the marketing campaign will start tonight as well. Maybe a new look could help a bit. I can post some concepts if you like.

Flexman

Community User Level: 2

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 5:06 pm

It's fine that someone cares now. :)

I think the look is not so important and I still think the demo mode needs to be changes somehow. I'd take a look on Soldat, they have always full server but I don't know if they many licences with that system. Ok, I already told you that 100 times. ;)

Maybe an 100% official server would also be fine. With 4 laps, 20 tracks with an average laptime of 20 seconds. On not something like Easyslider only. That made full servers once. Maybe it helps now, don't know. But I whish you good luck in doing the marketing stuff!

dby

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 5:56 pm

A good community page would be great, with profiles, message system, stats, forum, news, cup pages, track upload/download, track reviews... maybe voting on which should be on an official server, and pages for cars and mods. Would be cool if each profile had a trophy page. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Mouse

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 6:11 pm

Yep concept designs would be nice. Also, post some links your marketing work, i would like to see what you do.

A new TSCUPS.com is what we need, i agree. Official server though? Whats the difference than a normal server?

Flexman

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 6:36 pm

Totally agree to dby.

For example I like playing Sea3d a board game. But it has a very good site with a lot of statistics and also a friends list you can put there so that you see on the website if the friends are online and if they currently are in a server. I think this would help a little bit although I'm not sure who you can make a fair ranking of TS players.

Concerning the official server @mouse: I think the main thing is that the official server should have the fewest lag and and advatage would be that you somehow can link it to the site. It can also be more flexible and reliable. Because other servers come and go and it often takes a while until they make changes if necesary etc.

Or maybe also link it to the game (e.g. ingame votings) because I think people who are only active inside the game have different needs than people wo discuss here.

There are a lot of ideas now, but my favorite is still... ;-)

Hengari

Community User Level: 3

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 7:05 pm

dby wrote:track upload/download, track reviews... maybe voting on which should be on an official server

Good ideas but as we all saw with the 0.86b and 1.00 in the PTX-servers the track upload/download stuff from all users doesn't really work. The tracks for the servers needs to be checked before they are accepted and with harsh hand like it is now done with the PTX-servers. And voting for about 400 tracks.. phew...
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

Flexman

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 8:15 pm

Hengari wrote:Good ideas but as we all saw with the 0.86b and 1.00 in the PTX-servers the track upload/download stuff from all users doesn't really work. The tracks for the servers needs to be checked before they are accepted and with harsh hand like it is now done with the PTX-servers. And voting for about 400 tracks.. phew...

Maybe he ment an official site where you can up and download tracks and rate them. Voting for tracks on the server maybe might not work but when each player has the possibility to release his tracks on the official site I guess that's fine.

Personally I prefer shorter tracks and also miss many of the 0.86 tracks, but if there are enough players there will be more servers for everone's need. Only one thing the server mustn't have: tracks which have more than 200 kb. I really think you can do a lot with standart tiles, so it's not necesary that every track has 35 files and 800 kb! People should learn how to make tracks more space-saving.

Hengari

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 8:48 pm

Flexman wrote:Maybe he ment an official site where you can up and download tracks and rate them. Voting for tracks on the server maybe might not work but when each player has the possibility to release his tracks on the official site I guess that's fine.

Voting in the servers, that would be something :)
I meant that even if we vote tracks in website it is still time consuming.
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

road_oktane

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 9:28 pm

[quote="dby"]A good community page would be great, with profiles, message system, stats, forum, news, cup pages, track upload/download, track reviews... maybe voting on which should be on an official server, and pages for cars and mods. Would be cool if each profile had a trophy page. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.[/quote]

Dby said all i would say.

I'd like to add the suggestion below:

On the main TS site, link for specific communities

TS Main site
|-->Turboslidersbrasil.com
|-->Turboslidersmalta...
|-->Turboslidersfinland...
|-->...

dby

PostMon Mar 06, 2006 10:21 pm

The idea of an official server and some kind of voting system was to get a more democratic way of choosing the tracks on a server. And people don't have to review and vote on every single track, just maybe one or a few you'd like to see on the official server.

I'm not 100% sure this is the way to go, but I imagine a server with only a few tracks... maybe 20... the most popular tracks of the month, and these are the ones in focus on the community page. And every month a few tracks are changed.

I have a theory to why people like the demo server, besides more players... ok, only three tracks can get a bit boring, but the plus side is that players get really familiar with the tracks. This makes lap records n stuff more valuable than the lap record of some not-as-good track you only play once in a while on playtrix.

Hmm, maybe an official server should only have the default tracks even? But that would be a bit too static, making it boring IMO.

Also, I think some kind of team pages with private forum could be a good idea.

Punatiainen

PostTue Mar 07, 2006 1:23 am

The forum is ok, but there are too many unnecessary topics and posts. Maybe some subcategories would help with these, so that for instance all the talk about tracks, cups, cars, technical issues, ideas, announcements could be under their own category.

Now it's all in the same heap, and not very nice to read.

Jarno

PostTue Mar 07, 2006 4:56 am

I also think that this forum needs subcategories. Its too messy right now.
About theme, its not the prettiest but clear.
Spinnering on limits...

Flexman

PostTue Mar 07, 2006 6:23 am

dby wrote:Hmm, maybe an official server should only have the default tracks even? But that would be a bit too static, making it boring IMO.

No I think it should have a good mixture. Some serious default tracks, ~10% fun tracks (like Jail etc.), 20% tracks as small as Minileap, 80% of the tracks not bitter than 960x600, maybe 10% long tracks. But long tracks and few players doesn't make it funny.

fasteddie399

PostTue Mar 07, 2006 7:33 am

I wouldn't be surprised that one of the reasons servers are so empty is because many people aren't getting good pings to many servers. For example, I rarely play on any server other than the US Servers because the pings are too high, and I know that many of you in Europe don't play the US servers for the same reason. (And I know it's not my connection that is the problem, because I've got 6M/384k service and my CounterStrike, and other games, pings are usually in the 20's and 30's.)

I don't know what's involved in "fixing" this, but perhaps better server hardware/more bandwidth for the server would? More servers? Perhaps streamlining the net code of the game? I wish I had the answer.

All I know is that when there actually ARE people in servers, it's usually servers that my ping is around 150-200, which, in my opinion, is unplayable.

If the pings were better for all of us, I think we'd see more people in the servers.

... just my humble opinions. :P

Hatu

PostTue Mar 07, 2006 12:44 pm

let me be more specific and ask for you all to tell me what you want changed about the website and forum only please from this point forward.

thanks, but i can't change anything in-game. Take that up with Creator :P

Flexman

PostTue Mar 07, 2006 1:09 pm

Ok. I'm not sure if channging the site and the forum will help that much, but maybe you'd take a look at http://www.s3dconnector.net - this is the best website for a game I saw.

You have all player names with personal data and statistics, have friends you can add to a list and see if they are online. Statistics of the current servers and players, you can view ongoing games on the site, report cheats there, can rate other players etc. etc.

For me the perfect site for a game. For TS it's the question if you can make fair player rankings at all, but you can also make it possible for players to upload their tracks so that the personal site of the player also shows the tracks he made.

Concerning the rankings: Maybe also the -/+ system or the possibility to start a server where races are ranked. But it's not really necesary I guess though the idea of the players personal site with his tracks and the friends and server status on the website really should be made!

Mike Nike

PostTue Mar 07, 2006 3:56 pm

2 nice sites i liked:
1) http://www.miniracingonline.com
2) http://nations.tm-exchange.com

2) my concept (kind like at this page): if you upload a record, then you need to upload the video. A script, which i am able to create (though it might be much easier for Ande), could "validate" this video and tells if the video is valid or not. If it is valid (no errors in the tsr file) and the driven lap in the video fast enough, the video is added to the track's video database of laprecords.
You can upload such videos only, if you are registered and logged in. In addition, you would be only able to upload records of your TS player accounts (if more than 1 are allowed to register). So: nobody else can upload records of your nick, which you do not want to upload (since they are not so good, for example...or most important: because they could be made by someone else who used your player nick / hash values).

Example:
Player Account: Mike Nike
E-Mail: mike.nike(at)gmx.de
TS Player accounts (2 lines):
Mike Nike
[hash values]
[GER] Mike Nike
[hash values]

Advantages:
- players with no licence can register too
- you can register with any name you like
- there could exist some kind of world record ranking like in TMN: you can choose the tracks you like where you want to upload your records - only these will count in your personal ranking

some other features of the TMX system:
- track upload/download possible for everyone
- everyone has got an own profile
- every track would have an own site (track preview, download, track/author information, comments, awards, recordlist)
- showcases are informing about the newest tracks
- information about track contests at the mainpage
- award system of tracks (= simplified track vote sytem: the database remembers from every registered account which tracks "he" awarded....once an award is given, it cannot taken back)

I would actually like some kind of track vote system, where you can rank it from 1-5,6 or 10. Probably even with a function that you can still change your opinion after a month, if you saw the track is better or worse than you thought.

So far so good..sorry, i am quite tired and busy, i would like to say more, actually ;)

Flexman

PostTue Mar 07, 2006 4:32 pm

Mike Nike wrote:2) my concept (kind like at this page): if you upload a record

Mike, I really think you focus too much on the record. Compared to the total anmount of players there are maybe 10 players who are good enough or drive often enough or are interested at all to compete with your records. I doubt that a system based on that will be attractive for 1000+ players.

Punatiainen

PostWed Mar 08, 2006 1:21 am

Much better now :)

Hatu

PostWed Mar 08, 2006 1:46 am

thanks.

many of you will notice a reduction in post count as well as a number of topics missing because they have been deleted.

The forum has been organized and I have spent several hours organizing everything and creating appropriate sub-categories for the Turbo Sliders Section of the Forum.

But now everything has a place and you know where to post it now. All appropriate moderators were included as well. Next step is the forum theme.

My first job is complete.

Mike Nike

PostThu Mar 09, 2006 5:40 am

Flexman wrote:Mike, I really think you focus too much on the record. Compared to the total anmount of players there are maybe 10 players who are good enough or drive often enough or are interested at all to compete with your records. I doubt that a system based on that will be attractive for 1000+ players.

@Flex
I care much more than the average, that's true :)
I did not mention in my last post some older and newer concepts and work to support tournaments and pure online racing (including driving just for positions with no care about fastest laps). A bit you might heard in MSN, Hatu heard a bit by PMs, xzeal heard much about it in MSN, Z by emails and many more... - i just do not use this forum so much when talking about projects (on purpose). I keep the very most in the background as long as the project has not reached a level to be (partly) published.

@all
However: the main importance with an official Turbo Sliders Community page would still be (of course) to allow the TS community a place to download and upload TS related files (tracks, cars, tiles, tools...)...
Advertising special (race) events/competitions/contests/challenges/tournaments (however you like to call it) and communicating in a forum...
And people like me and Z would certainly like to see some nice profiles for each member, which would work like a little TS homepage. In best case these profiles could include statistics taken from a database of official servers and the page database, showing tournament results (SIT X Yth place..), personal (self uploaded or taken from official servers) laprecords (Minileap EasySlider ...), official server race results (skill, activity...), own uploaded files (tracks, tiles...), written articles/reviews/..., links of written forumposts...
The last things are including some bigger concepts, where some PHP & MySQL knowledges might be wanted. I do not know how many people would love such addons, but since i play TS i would have liked to see some of these addons in a page.

Once more I have avoided to mention all features of such a page and some details... - that's something i discuss with Hatu and the usual other people.

Edit: Once more i could say...the main site of my community page project, in which i involved xzeal, fasteddie, Hengari, Jarno, dede and maybe some others yet...is supporting a member profiles with an additional part related to TS. Example: favourite TS settings, like "favourited used zoom" or TS related profile properties like "favourite driver". Some weeks later i saw Mouse start making a weekly poll, which was very nice ;)
At my community page i had not enough GUI features to support a nice TS profile and neither i had the knowledge to collect the profile's properties into a database. From a TS site in the future i would love to see such automatic generated poll results, which are taken from the properties of each page member's profile. The advantage would be: if you change your opinion about your favourite car...then you still have the chance to influence the "poll" results and if someone is interested in your profile and your favourite settings, he can easily have a look at your current settings (if you made them public).

Jeffrey

What we need is an HQ Website

PostThu Mar 09, 2006 9:40 am

I think what we need is a head quarters. I have experience in other games like turbo sliders, and they all have a headquarter website.

A forum is not enough. Jollygoodgames website is not what we need.

What we need is a website that as a friend here mentioned make us ONE COMMUNITY.

For example turboslidersbrasil are cut off from us. We need to join together to make this a big project like all the other games.

Where we can place tracks, cars everything....

The Dude

PostThu Mar 09, 2006 2:54 pm

It is really good that you now have picture recognision when you post here.
But why do you have it when a user edit his/her message.
You already had to go through it once so the probability for that beeing missused is infinitesimal small.

Edit: Okay, that is good. I assumed you had to when it was there, didn't really try to not write it. Opps!
Last edited by The Dude on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Suggestions