It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 am

Making your own tracks with PhotoShop

Here you can post track-related information.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

dede

Community User Level: 5

Making your own tracks with PhotoShop

PostTue Jul 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Since it looks like that several players don't check the TurboSliders.com Wiki, and since it's not easy to find my tutorial otherwise, I open this topic in order to give better visibility to my tutorial.

Creating a TS track using PhotoShop (link updated).
It also includes some tips about creating pattern files & tiles.

Have fun ;)

Lanz

Community User Level: 4

PostTue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 pm

I also want extra tarmac outside edges, so I’m going to create a new layer called “Extra Tarmac” positioned right behind the “Track Edge” layer. Just repeat the Stroke Path option again with the favorite size (I’m going to use 66px). In order to keep the same style of the tarmac, you can copy “Track Shape” layer style (right click over the layer, Copy Layer Style) and paste it to “Extra Tarmac” layer (right click, Paste Layer Style).
thats from your tutorial! :D you guys always make it like this? does track look better? or for what is it?

Tijny

PostTue Feb 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Yes, it does look better if there's 1 pixel of tarmac outside the white line. My methods differ quite a bit from dede's tutorial though, since I feel it works better and more easily that way. For anyone who's interested;

1) Start with a single tarmac layer, exactly the width of your track
2) Load its selection and choose Select -> Modify -> Contract -> 1px
3) Create a new layer and fill the selection with any color
4) Set the 'Fill' opacity of the new layer to 0% and make a nice inner glow

This method is especially helpful when creating the pit lane; you can just use the same layer for the white lines, filling the areas you need and it will instantly look good.

Lanz

PostThu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 pm

thx

Let’s just add with the Brush tool the space where cars will stop for refueling, in the “Extra Tarmac” layer.
Your pit lane is now complete!

free handed?

i also have some problems with pitlane spots dotted lines and starting grid!
can you please give me a short advice? thx

dede

PostThu Feb 25, 2010 12:39 pm

Lanz wrote:i also have some problems with pitlane spots dotted lines and starting grid!
can you please give me a short advice?

] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]
----------------------------------------------------

Easy :)

Lanz

PostThu Feb 25, 2010 4:58 pm

yeah thats a bit to short for me! :D
pitlane???????

dede

PostThu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 pm

I wasn't kidding, actually. I just use the text tool to paint them.

Lanz

PostMon Mar 22, 2010 11:19 pm

Tijny wrote:
1) Start with a single tarmac layer, exactly the width of your track
2) Load its selection and choose Select -> Modify -> Contract -> 1px
3) Create a new layer and fill the selection with any color
4) Set the 'Fill' opacity of the new layer to 0% and make a nice inner glow

1) track 62px+white line 2px also 64px to stroke over the track path?
4) and make a nice inner glow! some special settings or what you mean?
thx

Lanz

PostSat Apr 03, 2010 2:31 pm

hello trackmakers!
im now able to make a track with ps and to open it in the game and editor!
but in the parts where i entered with gras etc in the track, the gras etc is under the track! you cant see it but when i drove over its there! i followed the instructions from the tutorial and i dont know wtf am i doing wrong! so please i need some help i tried several times!!
thx

dede

PostSat Apr 03, 2010 6:06 pm

You probably failed to create a good pat file for the track-shape. You can check that by viewing the final pat file of the track.

I believe we can help more if you share the files directly.

Lanz

PostSat Apr 03, 2010 6:22 pm

it works now lux helped me again!!
it was a silly mistake the file had the wrong name! :D (. -)
but thx anyway
very nice that it finally works!!!!!!!
scorrrreeee

Buraczek

PostSat Apr 03, 2010 8:25 pm

My first track

Monaco

4000x4000

My second track :P

Sepang

4000x4000

Dede thx for tutorial

If anyone wanna try, send me a message. I will give you, everything you need.

Its work only with mod, because of size of tracks.

Pingu

PostSun Apr 04, 2010 11:54 am

Just watched your monaco track aren't the corners a bit tight and small compared to the straights and cars?

Lanz

PostSat Sep 25, 2010 9:56 am

is it possible to delete pitlane without disturbing track shape, track edge and extra tarmac layer?

Tijny

PostSat Sep 25, 2010 10:21 am

Lanz wrote:is it possible to delete pitlane without disturbing track shape, track edge and extra tarmac layer?
Nope, not possible with dede's tutorial. Say, would you be interested in supplying one or more tracks for the F1 league?

Lanz

PostSat Sep 25, 2010 11:16 am

Tijny wrote:
Lanz wrote:is it possible to delete pitlane without disturbing track shape, track edge and extra tarmac layer?
Nope, not possible with dede's tutorial. Say, would you be interested in supplying one or more tracks for the F1 league?

8) ok!

Pingu

PostSun Sep 26, 2010 10:37 am

Bah, I guess I suck at making tracks. Also after you made the files , i don't get it? How does the game know the checkpoints etc? And how to add the dirt trees, crowd, grid etc?

Lanz, do you have a screen recorder, would be epic if you made a whole youtube vid on how to make the track (ofcourse fast forward it)

Lanz

PostSun Sep 26, 2010 11:30 am

Pingu wrote:Bah, I guess I suck at making tracks. Also after you made the files , i don't get it? How does the game know the checkpoints etc? And how to add the dirt trees, crowd, grid etc?

Lanz, do you have a screen recorder, would be epic if you made a whole youtube vid on how to make the track (ofcourse fast forward it)

first you have to make the whole trackshape with photoshop!(look for example at Bödn-Gp file, their you can see how finished shape looks like!) then you have to open it in the editor where you am able to decorate the track with gras, sand, fences, starting grid, trees etc!
also you am able to define checkpoints(F2), refueling area(F5), and starting positions(F7)! as you probably notice i made starting grid already with photoshop but you am able to do it with editor also! if you want to add croud to a track you have to search for Hengaris special tiles!

Ek Poepol

Community User Level: 1

Skidmarks

PostSun Jun 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Hey

So I followed the tutorial with a few layer tweaks :)...

Anyway, it works and I have a functioning track (which is basically just a big tile). I do have one slight problem though. The skidmarks on the pitlane are messed up. My pattern file has the slow pitlan tarmac as #0000ff (blue) and the refueling area as #00ff00 (green). Now my skidmarks are green and blue respectively. Is it possible to change this (even select a custom color for the skidmarks) or is this something that the game just makes the skidmarks whatever the patternfiles color is?

While I'm at it, (assuming viscosity is drag). Whouldn't it be better to increase the viscosity of the tarmac in the pit rather than decreasing acceleration. My problem is that the car doesn't slowdown fast enough. Meaning player can just stay at speed in the pit part and not loose their speed really. (I'm sure you have experienced this). After going to a stand still it works fine. Just the car doesn't slowdown fast enough when the at full throttle. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of just making another "tile" that slows down for you, which basically forces you to slow down. This however is effort :). Any other ideas or is this the only way.

Poepol

Tijny

Re: Skidmarks

PostSun Jun 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Ek Poepol wrote:Is it possible to change this (even select a custom color for the skidmarks) or is this something that the game just makes the skidmarks whatever the patternfiles color is?

Yes, you can change the color of the skidmarks in the terrain definitions, look in data/terrains.ter for examples. These colors don't have to be the same as the ones used in the pattern files.

Ek Poepol wrote:While I'm at it, (assuming viscosity is drag). Whouldn't it be better to increase the viscosity of the tarmac in the pit rather than decreasing acceleration. My problem is that the car doesn't slowdown fast enough. Meaning player can just stay at speed in the pit part and not loose their speed really. (I'm sure you have experienced this). After going to a stand still it works fine. Just the car doesn't slowdown fast enough when the at full throttle. Any suggestions?

It depends on the track design, really. If there's no need to make the cars slow down faster, then lowered acceleration will work fine and probably look much better. If the track design requires it however, you can increase the viscosity just as easily. This will cause the car to leave a trail of flying dirt behind though, when the viscosity is higher than 1.

Etmil

Community User Level: 3

Community User Level: 3

PostMon Jun 20, 2011 4:35 pm

I had the same slowdown problem :) Thanks for the tips!

Ek Poepol

Re: Skidmarks

PostMon Jun 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Tijny wrote:
Ek Poepol wrote:Is it possible to change this (even select a custom color for the skidmarks) or is this something that the game just makes the skidmarks whatever the patternfiles color is?

Yes, you can change the color of the skidmarks in the terrain definitions, look in data/terrains.ter for examples. These colors don't have to be the same as the ones used in the pattern files.

Ok, I think I know what you're talking about.

(Example)
skidMark 1
tyreMark 0
Red xxx
Blue xxx
Green xxx
(/Example)

So those colors I'm assuming are the colors of the skidmarks, though I tried changing them before (never did any troubleshooting so maybe I did something else wrong) but then the track broke, and only once setting them back to the color in the pattern file did it work. Like I said though, maybe I screwed something else up.

For now though, I just disabled skidmarks in the pits area :).

Thanks for the advice on the slowdown, think I might sacrifice that bit just so I don't have to show the dirt particles. I'll keep that in mind for future tracks though, with very curvey pit entrances :).

Thanks.

Lanz

PostSun Dec 04, 2011 3:23 pm

f***! during first League race i readed something on server like: its possible to pit in the middle of pitlane! first i didnt gave a f*** about it because i was sure that i defined pit correctly! but today, during testing pitlane i crashed and realized that its possible to pit on my tracks on whole pitlane! i think the problem is the pattern file! i always defined the pitlane with the same color as the refueling area! i never found the right color from the table, so i always sticked with that! so pls can someone help me?
thx

Del

Community User Level: 2

Community User Level: 2

PostSun Dec 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Lanz wrote:f***! during first League race i readed something on server like: its possible to pit in the middle of pitlane! first i didnt gave a f*** about it because i was sure that i defined pit correctly! but today, during testing pitlane i crashed and realized that its possible to pit on my tracks on whole pitlane! i think the problem is the pattern file! i always defined the pitlane with the same color as the refueling area! i never found the right color from the table, so i always sticked with that! so pls can someone help me?
thx
Make the slowdown area (no pitting) a different terrain (different colour in the pat) with the same (or different properties) as the pit terrain you use now.
Next

Return to Tracks