It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:33 am

Making smooth kerbs with photoshop/GIMP

Here you can post track-related information.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Keppana

Community User Level: 3

PostThu Apr 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Tijny wrote:Dude, I was talking to dede. Wasn't really clear, sorry about that.

Man, forgive me then, I've been so stressed and tired last days. I've made bunch of F1 style tracks atm and I would need help with kerbs. It looks so ugly if I do these and it's a shame to let urelease fine tracks.

Lanz

Community User Level: 4

PostThu Apr 29, 2010 7:23 pm

Keppana wrote:Man, forgive me then, I've been so stressed and tired last days. I've made bunch of F1 style tracks atm and I would need help with kerbs. It looks so ugly if I do these and it's a shame to let urelease fine tracks.

photoshop or gimp? what is your problem? i had some troubles too but now they look very nice! 8)

Keppana

PostThu Apr 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Lanz wrote:
Keppana wrote:Man, forgive me then, I've been so stressed and tired last days. I've made bunch of F1 style tracks atm and I would need help with kerbs. It looks so ugly if I do these and it's a shame to let urelease fine tracks.
photoshop or gimp? what is your problem? i had some troubles too but now they look very nice! 8)

I use GIMP and I use line tool to make kerbs, the same way as I draw the track. Maybe I'm doing kerbs wrong way, it's hard to make them with line tool and these doesn't look nice. There must be another way to make them.

lux2

Community User Level: 2

PostThu Apr 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Did you really design the tracks with brush? not with path tool?

If you use path tool, you can produce track, kerbs and white border lines by stroking the same path and all works well (antialiasing problems apart)

Did I well understand your question? It's possible that you are naming "line tool" what I name "path tool"... in this case forget my post

EDIT: lanz, are you actually using photoshop or the gimp?

Keppana

PostThu Apr 29, 2010 10:58 pm

lux2 wrote:Did I well understand your question? It's possible that you are naming "line tool" what I name "path tool"... in this case forget my post

Path tool :) but there must be easier (automatized?) way to draw kerbs than path tool. Here's a comparsion of my and Tijny kerbs, Tijny kerbs looks like much better and smoother than mine, and it takes just minute for Tijny to make them, he must use some kind of different tool for this.

lux2

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 8:48 am

Yes. I had the same problem, and I still have it, even in a smaller way.

Tjiny's lines are really well smoothered.
I read somewhere that he works on selections applying a thin inner glow to make lines and maybe (?) the opposite to make shadows on kerbs.

I use a bump map to create shadows but my smoothness is poor. Really poor as you can see.

For sure there must be a better and easier way.

For sure GIMP (at least under windows) doesn't help us with his antialiasing that works sometime yes and sometime not.

Tijny

Community User Level: 5

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 12:11 pm

Since I normally use Photoshop, I had to install GIMP today (and learn to use it) to find out what you guys are talking about, but I hope I can help.

Suppose you've made a track with the path tool, like so (I made the background green for clarity):

Now, go to the track layer and load its selection by doing Layer -> Alpha to Selection. Then, make that into a path with Select -> To Path. Now deselect everything, so that you end up with something like this:

Create a new empty layer, and set the foreground color to white (or very light gray, like I prefer). Go to the path you just created, and stroke it on the new layer. Copy the settings from the image below.

You should end up with a nice clean white edge around the track. Now set your foreground color to red, or whatever color you would like your kerbs to be, and stroke the path again. Use the same settings as before, except that you're going to set the dash preset to 'Stipples':

After that, it should look something like this:

That's actually quite nice already. Now we're going to add some styles (god, I wish GIMP had layer styles like Photoshop does). Load the selection on the kerbs layer (Alpha to Selection), then inverse the selection by pressing Ctrl+I. Now go to Filter -> Light and Shadow -> Drop Shadow, and set both offsets to '0', the blur radius to '2' and the color to black. Move the newly created 'Drop Shadow' layer in between the track and the kerbs layers, and you will have a nice subtle shadow.

Load the selection on the kerbs layer again, and create a new layer. Shrink the selection (Select -> Shrink...) by 3 pixels and fill the area with black. Play around with the layer opacity a bit, I guess 15% is a good value.

That looks a lot like my Photoshop kerbs, I guess. Merge the shadow layers with the actual kerbs, and all that's left to do is cut out the parts you don't need. The best way is to create a layer mask for that, and just use the lasso tool to fill the areas you don't need with black. Here's my end result:

lux2

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 2:16 pm

The function you are speaking of to stroke the path with dashed pattern (dede did the same in his tutorial) will be available in the next GIMP release (but maybe it will not work under Windows). Which version are you installed?
This function could be helpful in order to create decorated kerbs, but... it seems we have trouble with border lines too. They are not smooth enough and pixels are too much visible.

EDIT: ... my old version can do that too! :D So, i'm happy to know it's possible and unhappy to know to be a moron :D :D

Even I have not enough time I'll try to create a new track.

Keppana

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for this kerbs tutorial :) I'm a bit confused yet how it all works, but I'm trying to work on it.

E: Ok I got some problem to solve.. as I select my track Alpha to Selection, it does select all, that's ok. Then I go to Select -> Select to Path, it just does nothing, doesn't add Path markings.

E2: There should be a new (?) topic for this tutorial how to make kerbs, so we can continue talking about track making there.

Tijny

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 3:52 pm

Keppana wrote:E: Ok I got some problem to solve.. as I select my track Alpha to Selection, it does select all, that's ok. Then I go to Select -> Select to Path, it just does nothing, doesn't add Path markings.
Just go to the paths dialogue as shown below, it's impossible that it doesn't appear there. Then just right click on its name to stroke.

dede

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Moved this discussion to tracks forum.

Lanz

PostSat May 01, 2010 5:26 pm

lux2 wrote:EDIT: lanz, are you actually using photoshop or the gimp?

of course photoshop!

Tijny can you please betray me your style effect settings for the kerbs!
i tried to make it like yours but i always ended up with dedes tutorial settings!
and about rotating tiles!(especially fences) i searched in the forum but i dont get it! you have a better editor or what? i tried but there was no progress! is there maybe a tutorial?

dede

PostSat May 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Lanz wrote:and about rotating tiles!(especially fences) i searched in the forum but i dont get it! you have a better editor or what? i tried but there was no progress! is there maybe a tutorial?

"C:\Program Files\Jollygood Games\Turbo Sliders\editor.exe" -ar 1

Tijny

PostSat May 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Lanz wrote:Tijny can you please betray me your style effect settings for the kerbs!
i tried to make it like yours but i always ended up with dedes tutorial settings!

Lanz

PostSun May 02, 2010 10:12 am

nice thx guys!

Keppana

PostMon May 03, 2010 6:27 am

Nothing am happening, am i doing something wrong? I do just like you said..

1. Layers -> Alpha to Selection

2. Select -> Select to Path

3. Nothing appears in Paths.. just pure white blank image -.- if i do use colour background (such green) it will lead to white blank image again..

4. Accidently i doubleclicked white image, which added now Paths to track image. Then i quickly painted the path, ending like this ^^

Now how to paint kerbs outside to selection, now it does paint kerbs inside.

5. Oh, Invert Selection and Path painting then, after this removing left over parts and adding green color for a test look, wola. Shite this is much of work.

Lanz

PostWed Jun 09, 2010 7:06 pm

how do i make 3 colored kerbs? please some help guys!!

Rendy Andrian

PostThu Jun 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Lanz wrote:how do i make 3 colored kerbs? please some help guys!!
It's easy, just do the kerb thing as usual, only this time you have to play with Hue and Saturation. To explain this easier, remember this trait:

1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2

1 is for first color, whereas 2 and 3 are second and third color respectively. Let's say the first color is red and the second is white. And you want to do the third color with blue, so you have to set Hue and Saturation until the color is blue. But of course you have to select it first using polygonal lasso tool. Feel free to correct what's wrong because it's been a long time I've posted here :D.
RACING SINCE 2007
OFFICIAL SITE - BLOG - TWITTER

Lanz

PostMon Aug 16, 2010 12:14 am

yesterday i was watching moto gp and those kerbs in brno looks so nice! :D
i was really motivated to finally make some 3 colored on my newest track but like always, more trouble then fun! :evil:
im getting that hue/saturation thing but i have no idea how to make it work!
1.do the kerbs thing as usual means:
make forground layer with any color, background layer merge them into one etc. so that in finish i have one layer with normal 2 colored kerbs?
2.then i select the kerbs layer, go to the layers panel choose new adjustment layer- hue/saturation, then i got a new layer called hue/saturation1?
3.next step?
4.But of course you have to select it first using polygonal lasso tool!!
each kerb? it would take days to do it and i would be not accurate at all! if i understand it right?
so please some help guys!!! thx

lux2

PostMon Aug 16, 2010 9:40 am

Hello lanz, welcome back.

If you want to do 3colored kerbs with the scheme 1 2 1 3 1 2 1 3... you can easily do this as mentioned before.
- Draw a 1 2 1 2 kerbs and
- then select the color that has to become "3"
- change it to 3 by changing hue and saturation. This is possible only if 1 is white and it's not that big work.

If you want to do kerbs like Brno 1 2 3 1 2 3... you can try to do this (I've not tried):
- make kerbs 1 2 1 2 with two colors different than 1 2 3. If possible, switch antialias to off.
- by using the bucket fill tool with tolerance 0, fill manually the 1 2 3 colors
- apply an antialias filter and... see if it's good enough...

ciao

Lanz

PostMon Aug 16, 2010 10:03 am

thx lux!

Lanz

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Hey Trackmakers,
i had an idea and it worked so good that i would like to share it with you all! since making kerbs was always such a pain in the ass for me i tried a few things out! so as you see below i made a few different brush preset´s! on the left is the normal brush preset wich is in the description of dede´s tutorial! normal 50x10px kerb! so since it took me always hours to make the kerbs good looking using the anchor-convert and the brush tool i tried to make the preset different! i just colored 1px of the kerb with an greyish color, it made the kerbs look way more smoother, right from the beginning! sure it will not work totally perfect, theres is still some work to do to make them f smooth but with this kind of preset i can assure you its atleast only half of the work! just try it and you guys will see what i mean!

Return to Tracks