It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:58 pm

New tiles in Track Editor?

Here you can post track-related information.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Gzehoo

Community User Level: 1

Community User Level: 1

New tiles in Track Editor?

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 am

Hello.

I'm new on this forum. I have a question about this game. Can I add new objects/tiles for track editor? I downloaded some tracks from turbosliders.com and I saw that there are new tiles (like this), but I don't know how to add this object. I know that there are .til files in which there are included new tiles/objects, but how to add new tile/object here?

I'm sorry if on this forum there was similar topic. I created some tracks for Turbo Sliders and I want to show it (maybe on this forum ;) ), but I need more objects to make my tracks more interesting.

Sorry for my English.

Etmil

Community User Level: 3

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 am

I'm sorry because I cannot provide you with a detailed answer immediately (very busy), but I can provide you with a short one. Yes, adding tiles is possible and you need: 1) an image file for the tile 2) a pattern file for the tile (this defines how the 'image' acts in the game, as grass, asphalt or an obstacle - tree, stone, house etc) 3) a tiledefinition, which is basically a code you insert into the track file in a specific place/location to let the editor 'understand' that it has to include this tile among the default ones that you have there anyway.

Also note that whenever you save your track in the editor, the tiledefinition will disappear from the .trk file and you will have to re-insert it every single time you save the track in the editor.

In addition, it is possible to combine several tiles into a single .til file, add the definition into the .trk file and then you would have multiple new tiles in the editor by only adding a single line into the .trk file. But as I said previously, you would still need to re-insert it after saving every time. Creating .til files and working with them is something that I learned a while ago, so I'm quite new to this. Anyway, I hope this provided you with a necessary introduction and I'm sure someone will answer your question more thoroughly. It's fairly easy when you get it, but takes a little time to get the hang of it. And, of course, you need some kind of a graphics editing program to do all of this (tile images / patterns). I use Photoshop, for example. Best of luck!
Last edited by Etmil on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tijny

Community User Level: 5

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 10:41 am

Etmil wrote:In addition, it is possible to combine several tiles into a single .til file, add the definition into the .trk file and then you would have multiple new tiles in the editor by only adding a single line into the .trk file. But as I said previously, you would still need to re-insert it after saving every time.
Good explanation, but this part isn't necessarily completely true - if you create a custom .til file and include tiles2.til from there, you can just include your custom tileset in the .trk file instead of tiles2.til and the editor will save it properly. That's how I've been doing it in my last batch of tracks. Which, admittedly, has been a long time ago already. :P

Etmil

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 11:24 am

Tijny wrote:
Etmil wrote:In addition, it is possible to combine several tiles into a single .til file, add the definition into the .trk file and then you would have multiple new tiles in the editor by only adding a single line into the .trk file. But as I said previously, you would still need to re-insert it after saving every time.
Good explanation, but this part isn't necessarily completely true - if you create a custom .til file and include tiles2.til from there, you can just include your custom tileset in the .trk file instead of tiles2.til and the editor will save it properly. That's how I've been doing it in my last batch of tracks. Which, admittedly, has been a long time ago already. :P

So you would remove tiles2 completely and replace it with your own custom one? Or.. you would just insert your own custom tileset right above tiles2.til?

Tijny

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 11:38 am

Etmil wrote:So you would remove tiles2 completely and replace it with your own custom one? Or.. you would just insert your own custom tileset right above tiles2.til?

I think you misunderstood me. Here's a little example to clarify:

mytrack.trk:
Code: Select all
Pattern mytrack-pat.png
Include mytiles.til
ControlPoints 42

mytiles.til:
Code: Select all
Include tiles2.til

[custom tile definition code]

This will work fine, because the editor saves one 'Include' line per track, which doesn't necessarily have to be tiles2.til.

Etmil

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 12:51 pm

Oh yeah, I think I got it now. Very clever! ;)

Return to Tracks