It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:20 am

new TSE tracks | [the 4K Era]

Here you can post track-related information.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Etmil

Community User Level: 3

new TSE tracks | [the 4K Era]

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 8:08 am

Heu totes,

so with the possibility of making bigger tracks now, I've been slowly getting round to creating a little something again. It's a 4000x2750 px track, a very rough draft of it and of course it'll be a while until I can hand it in to you and say it's playable. Heck, I haven't even tested it myself.. yet. I will though (at some point) and probably might make a few changes here and there, since I'm not fully satisfied with the north-eastern part.

Anyway, here you can have a look and decide whether you'd like to drive on something like this.. soon? Any kind of constructive criticism/advice is welcome!

PS. Feel free to share your own 4K Era F1 tracks or designs or whatever here!

Etmil
Last edited by Etmil on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Nike

Community User Level: 5

Re: new TSE tracks | [the 4K Era]

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 10:26 am

i gone through the racing line on this track in my head. it reminds me a bit to the toughness of tijnys turtleton (i think). there arent so many overtaking opportunities, it feels like. also, similar to the end part of lanz track with the many lights, it feels like im gonna suck in it, at least compared to tijny. still i like huge tracks like that and i'll certainly enjoy driving on it :)

Whiplash

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 11:43 am

Holy f***, seems I'll have to ask Ande also to add track map while racing. I could never remember so many curves. :) But, at least we'll always have to play on already released tracks, which I prefer. :wink:
Anyway, about critics, I would say that you didn't use the new size to create some longer straights. That's something that 4000x4000 should often be used for. You know, you should always have drafting in your mind now too. :wink:

Etmil

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Yeah, about straights.. I had it in my mind, but also I want the track to look good. I think some parts of it are just so quick that you can really take them flat-out, but we'll see I guess. I uploaded a new picture which has coloured sectors so you can more easily reference to a part or whatever. The track should be counter-clockwise, starting from somewhere around the black part (which is the start/finish straight), also I think the ending of orange sector will be flat out, same about blue sector and ending of purple.

PS. Just tested this a little, laptime is about 1:15.xxx with F1-Premium and fuel disabled, but I'm sure Tinky and dede will drive it in under a minute.

Whiplash

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 2:19 pm

I see a bug in the middle of the black part (just after the first turn). :P
You should also test the track with my new F1 car named (F1-NG). It can be easily downloaded in beta forum ("project cars" topic). :wink:

shyguy1001

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 5:29 pm

I hope this doens't cause offence to you and your work here Etmil, and of course you are free to create tracks however you want, but I hope F1 tracks do not go this way... as in, the same dimensions and style as before, but scaled up. Having played SCARTS on the bigger tracks, drafting is really effective and excellent, and I think the F1SL design is the way to go. You can have much more realistic dimensions now with awesome long straights before passing opportunities. I think around 20 is the optimal number of corners for any tracks +/-5 or so, ofc you can make at unique track with more but I really hope not every track will be like that!

Tracks which are really long and hard to remember lack personality. Look at Monza/Monaco over... Valencia. Ignoring the history, which one has more personality, a unique feel to it? I am looking forward to someone designing these sort of tracks, but its just my personal opinion :)
www.youtube.com/sliderstv <---- Best Turbosliders Videos ever made ;)

Gzehoo

Community User Level: 1

PostSun Oct 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Etmil wrote:with the possibility of making bigger tracks now

Well... with that possibility I could make Nurburgring and Monza more 'realistic'. And I would also try to make Circuit de la Sarthe... :D

But I understand that the new version of TS is still tested by closed group of people so I can only wait. Or only dream about that...

Rendy Andrian

Community User Level: 2

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 4:10 am

Porting the real-life Japanese Metropolitan Expressway to Turbo Sliders, in a 4K scale of course. For starters, I'm creating the C1 and New Belt Line loop. Haven't continued this yet, but if this succeed, I could go on with Wangan / Minato Mirai / Yokohane loop.

However, I won't fully recreate building placements as in real life. I would make it more like a temporary road course.

Gzehoo wrote:
Etmil wrote:with the possibility of making bigger tracks now

Well... with that possibility I could make Nurburgring and Monza more 'realistic'. And I would also try to make Circuit de la Sarthe... :D

But I understand that the new version of TS is still tested by closed group of people so I can only wait. Or only dream about that...

Speaking of La Sarthe, I'm making one too, in 2000x2000 though. For Nordschleife, you should go with the GP Strecke + Nordschleife combination.

I should admit that real life tracks in 4k scale look much realistic than in 2k scale.

PS: Mount Panorama! :D
RACING SINCE 2007
OFFICIAL SITE - BLOG - TWITTER

Whiplash

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 6:50 am

Gzehoo wrote:But I understand that the new version of TS is still tested by closed group of people so I can only wait. Or only dream about that...

Not anymore. :wink: You deserved to get access to "Beta testing" forum by whole time you spent creating great tracks. So, I guess, you'll be useful in there.

And Rendy, wow! That track makes me horny for some wanking already. :twisted: I hope you'll keep working on that project.
Anyway, speaking about the 4K realism - I actually already did some tests about that with Monza. I used Google Earth software and tried to see what dimension TS track should have in order to be in a proportion of 1:1 with the real track. The conclusion was: 8K (8000x8000) at least. :wink:
I believe some of the F1 tracks could match to 4K in proportion of 1:1, but that shouldn't be the main goal anyway. Tracks will be enjoyable even if they're 1:2 or 1:3 and they will still feel long enough. And don't forget, most of the best F1 tracks so far were those that are not even existing in reality. :wink:

Tijny

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 11:57 am

Here's a 4000x4000 design I quickly cooked up - I would say that, to a degree, it complies with the sentiments Shyguy expressed in this topic. At least, I would hope so, because I fully agree with him. :P

It's quite unlikely I'll make this into an actual track any time soon, though.

Etmil

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 12:12 pm

shyguy1001 wrote:I hope this doens't cause offence to you and your work here Etmil, and of course you are free to create tracks however you want, but I hope F1 tracks do not go this way... as in, the same dimensions and style as before, but scaled up. Having played SCARTS on the bigger tracks, drafting is really effective and excellent, and I think the F1SL design is the way to go. You can have much more realistic dimensions now with awesome long straights before passing opportunities. I think around 20 is the optimal number of corners for any tracks +/-5 or so, ofc you can make at unique track with more but I really hope not every track will be like that!

Let me sure I get this right.. basically, you're saying that tracks should be wider? 'Cause that's what upscaling will do, it will be as if you're driving with.. I don't know 4.0 zoom? But since the car that we seem to be using (F1-Major) is still the same size as the one we used in past years (F1-Premium), I think it will bring about lots of weirdness. There's just going to be too much space, which would make driving easier, corners more pointless.. it will be a whole new experience and I'm not sure if it's for the better.

On another note, I tested my track layout with F1-Major and from what I gathered, the car seems to work on it just fine. Am I right that the top speed is higher with this.. and it's also a lot easier to steer (<-- not still sure if I like it that way)?

Anyway, laptime was about the same, actually.. it might be that F1-Major is slightly faster, but they're more or less the same.

shyguy1001 wrote:Tracks which are really long and hard to remember lack personality. Look at Monza/Monaco over... Valencia. Ignoring the history, which one has more personality, a unique feel to it? I am looking forward to someone designing these sort of tracks, but its just my personal opinion :)

I respect your opinion, but I have to say I totally disagree with this. I believe most of the real world F1 tracks that they drive on just suck, plain and simple. When I look at the designs, it's like Hermann Tilke just drew a random line and said 'Yeah, you go and build that..' The only good ones are maybe Spa, Istanbul Park, Silverstone, Shanghai and maybe 1-2 more that I can't remember now. But for me, a track is much more than just a 'layout', it's how it flows, how the turns relate to each other, and how it challenges the driver to be JUST on the edge (but pay you back if you overdo it) and at the same time, it should be diverse/versatile enough not to become boring. Of course there should be overtaking opportunities as well. So yeah, taking into account all of the stuff I just said, THAT'S what makes a good track for me.

:P

Rendy Andrian

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Gzehoo wrote:But I understand that the new version of TS is still tested by closed group of people so I can only wait. Or only dream about that...

Not anymore. :wink: You deserved to get access to "Beta testing" forum by whole time you spent creating great tracks. So, I guess, you'll be useful in there.

And Rendy, wow! That track makes me horny for some wanking already. :twisted: I hope you'll keep working on that project.
Anyway, speaking about the 4K realism - I actually already did some tests about that with Monza. I used Google Earth software and tried to see what dimension TS track should have in order to be in a proportion of 1:1 with the real track. The conclusion was: 8K (8000x8000) at least. :wink:
I believe some of the F1 tracks could match to 4K in proportion of 1:1, but that shouldn't be the main goal anyway. Tracks will be enjoyable even if they're 1:2 or 1:3 and they will still feel long enough. And don't forget, most of the best F1 tracks so far were those that are not even existing in reality. :wink:

Added note: I've made a Phillip Island in 2k resolution, and I already felt that there's not much enjoyment, design-wise. I guess 4k is the go-to size for real-life tracks for me. You can already see two flaws here:

1. Pit lane is too short, literally. It won't work if there are eight racers refuelling at the same time.
2. Turns 4 and 5 doesn't look accurately aesthetic IMO.

And here's my Circuit de la Sarthe btw. Included are BOTH Bugatti Circuit and the Sarthe itself. I would plan on making three different Circut de la Sarthes, including the 90s one (the straight Bugatti section) and the 70s one (straight everything):

Off topic: Did Bugatti Circuit exist in 70s yet?
RACING SINCE 2007

Tijny

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Etmil wrote:Let me sure I get this right.. basically, you're saying that tracks should be wider? 'Cause that's what upscaling will do, it will be as if you're driving with.. I don't know 4.0 zoom? But since the car that we seem to be using (F1-Major) is still the same size as the one we used in past years (F1-Premium), I think it will bring about lots of weirdness. There's just going to be too much space, which would make driving easier, corners more pointless.. it will be a whole new experience and I'm not sure if it's for the better.

I believe what he means is that, in general, 2000x2000 tracks had too much going on in too little space, and your track is basically a larger (= "scaled up") version of that. He is not proposing to make the track wider, but rather to make the corners further apart. And I agree with that, as I hope my little design shows.

Etmil

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 12:58 pm

So what should the track width be for 4K circuits? For 2K we used something like 66-70px..

power79

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 3:51 pm

I think most agree that normal track width is good for F1-Premium but for Whiplash's car wider would be better.

Whiplash

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 pm

power79 wrote:I think most agree that normal track width is good for F1-Premium but for Whiplash's car wider would be better.

Nah, my car is also good with normal size (66px). All track makers should make kerbs tighter. In his tutorial dede suggested 16px, but it actually should be 12px. It's looks better no matter what car you're using. Good example is THIS TRACK.

Gzehoo

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 10:01 am

During I refresh my all old tracks, here is my plan for 4000x4000 track:
(at this moment only small part on 2000x2000)

Whiplash

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 11:58 am

Gzehoo wrote:During I refresh my all old tracks, here is my plan for 4000x4000 track:
(at this moment only small part on 2000x2000)

I like defaultish tracks, but I'm afraid you'll lose too much time while creating them in 4K size. That's why you should consider learning track creating by using Photo Shop. You can find tutorial HERE. By using this technique you'll save a lot of your time, and also be able to create more advanced (smooth) track shape. Also, your .trk file will be much cleaner and smaller because it will contain less text lines. :wink:

Gzehoo

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 12:22 pm

I know that I could create tracks also using Photoshop (although I prefer more GIMP), but to be honest, in my case it's more waisting time than creating track with normal tiles. And I really wanted to create tracks without Photoshop, with default tiles to see how good my track can be without additional graphic programs. I understand that the main trend for today is using Adobe PS3 for TS to make more effects on tracks - but it doesn't convince me.

BTW. I have also in my plans to make old Hockenheim.

Gzehoo

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Impossible? :D

CLICK

Whiplash

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Gzehoo wrote:Impossible? :D

:) Still almost 50% yet to be done.
This reminds me on one of the best TS makers ever - Punatiainen. He never did anything other than tracks with TS's editor. His work was so good that Ande decided include some of his tracks to the game installer.
pu_tracks

Rendy Andrian

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Gzehoo wrote:Impossible? :D

CLICK

Nice stuff! Can't wait to see the finished product :D (y)

Btw, anyone up for a Trooper Speedway series tribute track? with 4k size? If Gzehoo can make 4k default tracks, then everything's possible, isn't it? :D
RACING SINCE 2007

Gzehoo

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 5:14 pm

And another idea for 4K track (unfinished yet):

CLICK

Whiplash

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Rendy Andrian wrote:Btw, anyone up for a Trooper Speedway series tribute track?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Anyway, these days any kind of track is welcomed. :wink:

Gzehoo

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 8:40 am

A litle offtop: are there any LMP cars which I would use to test my Circuit de la Sarthe?
Next

Return to Tracks