It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:48 pm

GPOR F1 Open Season 4

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

dede

Community User Level: 5

GPOR F1 Open Season 4

PostSat May 09, 2009 11:02 pm

GPOR F1 Open Season 4 is going to start tomorrow night, around 23-24 CET.
Server is already configured with upcoming season's settings:

Tracks: download pack
Car: GPOR-Form1
Laps: 9
Fuel: Yes
Damage: Yes
CanChangeStartFuel: Yes
Ghost: No
Promode: Yes (lapped cars get disabled when hitting leaders)

Please note that it's very important to behave and respect fairplay rules:
- do not push or block on purpose
- do not hit other cars in the pitlane
- driving backwards is punished with immediate ban (administrators might decide to ban people for several cups)
- do give way to leaders, when being lapped
- give way if you make mistakes: don't steal speed from cars coming from behind

Note to administrators:
- it's very important to drive with real nickname, so please don't use double nicknames to this server
- remember to give warnings to newbies before banning them
- if server is locked because of organized cup going on, administrators aren't allowed to unlock it before cup is finished (I recommend to ask to me before unlocking the server)

More info will probably come once the season started.

dede

PostSun May 10, 2009 11:07 pm

Season started tonight. It will end 14 June. Good luck and have fun!

Records, Standings and Statistics:
http://www.gpor.it/CORERE

Strik3r

PostMon May 11, 2009 10:49 am

Although I'm a completly crappy driver, can I participate?

At that time I think may be able to race...

The later the better... :D

dede

PostMon May 11, 2009 10:56 am

Strik3r wrote:Although I'm a completly crappy driver, can I participate?

At that time I think may be able to race...

The later the better... :D

Actually the competition is open 24h/day, so just connect to the server and race!

dede

PostMon May 11, 2009 2:15 pm

Strik3r contacted me via PM asking things about fuel and tactics, but since this can be helpful for other drivers too I'll answer his questions here.

Strik3r wrote:I've read the fuel doc, but I don't seem to understand how I can check the fuel I have and what's the fuel consumption... Is that clearly in that Stat screen it's said to be accessible by pressing 3 times TAB?

Fuel stats during races can be found pushing TAB three times (you can personalize this key by going to Settings -> Keys menu and changing Statistics key). Statistics can be personalized a bit by changing the HudMode value in sliders.ini.
As you can read in doc/README-fuel.txt, there are different settings for HudMode:

doc/README-fuel.txt wrote:HudMode 0: No popup messages, three stat modes
HudMode 1: Default: popup messages, three stat modes
HudMode 4: Like in 1.0.7: no popups, no new stat mode
HudMode 5: Like in 1.0.7 but with popups
HudMode 8: No popups, new stat mode, position list also has the new mode.
HudMode 13: Popups, new mode included in the position list but not on its own.

For example, I use HudMode 8 which doesn't show annoying popups (fuel messages next to the car). By pushing tab thrice, I get fuel & damage stats in the top left corner, so I can monitor fuel usage whenever I need to.

About fuel settings, they can be checked by typing /fuel. In the GPRO server, output will be:

Fuel on. Amount: 150 sec of accel. Fill: 10 sec. Idle cons.: 10.0 % Full slowdown: 15.0 %

By reading these stats you can figure out that:
- 100% fuel lasts in 150 seconds of acceleration
- it takes 10 seconds to refill from 0% to 100%
- idle consume is set to 10%, so it means that you save 90% fuel when you don't accelerate (this is very important, because often people can't figure out how it is possible, for some drivers, completing one more lap than others with same amount of fuel -> reason is that they don't keep accelerating when it's not needed or they "save" fuel on purpose by lifting throttle way before the curve)
- full tank makes the car 15% slower. So different amount means different speed.

About fuel strategies, they can be very important in long races (>15 minutes): I won several races thanks to fuel tactics, even though other players were faster than me.
Fuel strategies aren't very important in 9 laps, but they can add some fun to races. It's also very easy setting up a good strategy even if you don't know tracks:

1) start with 100% - setting a lower amount gives a little speed advantage: if you start with 50% fuel, your car will be much faster than others, but other players will lose 5 seconds less at pitstop (it requires 10 seconds to fill 100%, so 5 seconds to fill 50% difference between you and opponents), and it's not very likely you gain more than 5 seconds by starting with low fuel.
In the other hand, once you know tracks better, you might want to adjust fuel amount so that remaining fuel at pitstops is more accurate (if yous start with 100%, in some tracks you might have to pit with 15% remaining fuel).

2) Monitor remaining fuel after every lap, and calculate fuel usage - I see that newbies often end up without fuel in the middle of the track. The trick is to check fuel amount at every lap, when crossing finishline. If you start with 100% fuel, it's also easy to calculate how much fuel you used and to guess a pit strategy.
Example:
Start - 100%
Lap 1 - 77% (ok, fuel consume is approx 23%/lap)
Lap 2 - 55%
Lap 3 - 34% (34%/2=17% < 23% -> next lap PIT!
Lap 4 - PIT - Pit at lap 4 means that you need to stop 1 more time. You can decide to adjust your tactic to stop at lap 5, 6, 7 or 8. Fill your tank with the desired amount of fuel (25%, 48%, 71%, 94% - always remember to put some extra fuel for accidents and other issues).

There is a trick to understand the amount of fuel you need, basing on when you stop the first time (obviously if you start with 100%):

Lap 3: you need to stop again at lap 6, so fill with 100% subtracting the amount of fuel remaining before pitting (always remember to put a couple of units of extra fuel). Same thing for lap 6 pit. Fuel consume is max. 33% per lap.

Lap 4: case described before. Fuel consume is max. 25% per lap.

Lap 5: Fuel consume is max. 20% per lap. Fill with about 80% for remaining 4 laps.

Lap 6: Fuel consume is max. 16.7% per lap. Fill with about 50% for remaining 3 laps.

Lap 7: Fuel consume is max. 14.3% per lap. Fill with 30% for remaining 2 laps.

Lap 8: Fuel consume is max. 12.5% per lap. Fill with 15% for remaining lap.

Strik3r wrote:And is the damage very influent (one hit and your running badly slowly) or the noobs may have a chance of spending more time in the track than in the pits?

Damage settings can be checked by typing /show damage. These are the settings of the GPOR server:

ForceDamage: 1 - Damage is enabled if track has pit area
MaxEnergy: 10000 - Car "energy"
MaxCarHitEffect: 2000 hp - Max. energy lost by hitting a car
MaxWallHitEffect: 2000 hp - Max. energy lost by hitting an obstacle
FullRepairTime: 10 sec - Time needed to repair the car from 0% to 100%
MaxSlowdown: 0.750 - Max. slowdown (75% slowdown is car has 0% energy)
SlowdownStartLimit: 0.500 - Slowdown starts when reaching 50% of damage (the more you are damaged, the more you'll slow down - so no effect if e.g. you got 55% remaining energy).

That's it. I hope it helps. And remember that TurboSliders includes a very nice documentation which is worth to read (check your /doc/ folder)!

Strik3r

PostMon May 11, 2009 2:34 pm

This is an excellent post!

It explains perfectly how this stuff works...

Tonight I'm gonna try to end the races without being lapped! :D

See ya there! :D

Black

PostWed Jun 03, 2009 9:04 pm

As some of you know, I have been complaining about the PRO-RULES in Gpor. I think it should not be on and here is why:
I am a slower car but I am still competing and I want and try hard to get back in the race, but every time a faster car comes around I have to duck and hide - and frankly some of you guys hit us anyway just to be jerks. Or, today there was 22 cars on the track, I could not possibly remember the fast cars or who lapped me, or even see who lapped me when I was in the pits, so now I am supposed to get out of everyones way??????? This is not racing for everyone, this racing for you fast guys. Or today, I am pulling out of pit lane and a fast car hits me, I am not in his line, he made the mistake - BUT I am out!!!! This is like waisting my time, I am here just like everyone else trying to have some fun and get better, but I only get to finish half the time. Take a look today, 23 cars and in one of those races only half the field finished - the rest were out because of the so called PRO-RULES. All those cars made it more fun for everyone, even the faster cars would agreee. Why can't you "better drivers" go around us?????? Really, your victory in an arcade game is more important than us getting to finish ours - its nonsense and smacks of NO FAIR PLAY FOR SLOWER DRIVERS! So I think the PRO-RULES should be banned, faster cars more considerate of us slower guys, we are trying to move, but we cant get better if every time a car comes up behind us we have treat it like the second coming!!! Please, we should be able to finish our race too, we should have same chance to get our lap back as any Formula one racer has - however unlikely. I bet F1 would love to have a Rule like ProRules - touch the guy and he is out of the race - no slower markers to pass, boy wouldn't that be fun to watch!!! CRAPPOLA

thanks

BLACK

Scud

Community User Level: 3

Community User Level: 3

PostWed Jun 03, 2009 9:17 pm

I understand you but there is also good reason for pro rule. As we all know, there is some tards who "dont know" driving direction. With pro rule those backwards drivers can do less harm for normal players. Thats why i think pro rule should stay...
~siLciR <3~

dede

PostWed Jun 03, 2009 10:29 pm

Black wrote:As some of you know, I have been complaining about the PRO-RULES in Gpor.

I see your frustration, and you are damn right about it. In the other hand, I have been playing this game actively for years and I still believe that pro rules are good in order to keep a good quality if the server isn't administrated.
I've not been very active lately, but I know that there are some players screwing up by pushing in pits and driving backwards. Pro rules are a good way to limit their bad actions when administrators aren't in the server.
Unluckily pro rules disable lapped players also when they don't deserve it, so they kill the fun for newbies.

The main suggestion for newbies, when pro rules are on, is to give way to any car coming very fast from behind by slowing down outside the driving line (or to check with TAB button, but this might be a bit hard for those driving with two hands).

Anyway, I invite server administrators to disable pro rules when there is no need to keep them active (= when they are racing to the server). But please remember to enable them back before quitting the server.

Burn

Community User Level: 2

PostThu Jun 04, 2009 11:12 am

If you need help with that admin thing, I'm available.

Black

PostThu Jun 04, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks guys for those positive words. Just to be clear, I am not a newb, I have been around a couple of years now, I just don't get to run very often or for very long. Usually it is lunch or at the end of the day for 30 minutes. That is why it is so frustrating, each race takes 5 to 10 minutes if I only have an hour and I only finish half the races I have wasted 30 minutes watching you guys have fun.

Perhaps someone could start a Tier II server for GPOR for guys like me? then when we think we are ready to make the jump we can join you guys.
Or perhaps Turbo designers could change the Pro-Rules so that it takes three touches to be out, or the car stalls for a second or two, or the faster car flashes when he is coming up to me, or me up to him, so I have a caution.

Anyways thanks Burn and Dede.

Strik3r

PostThu Jun 04, 2009 2:04 pm

In fact, I understand there are pros and cons in PRO Rules. For me, there are more cons, 'cause I'm a total waste driving TS (yes, that's right, because I never get the chance to lap a slower driver than me! :D). And as I said before, this is an arcade game, not a simulation, so bumps, crashes and touches are the today's dish. In a 9 lap race, the problem isn't much, but in a 12 or 15 lap or even longer race, where strategy can take us to be lapped during a refueling, it makes no sense.

"If you see a faster guy, move asside!". Ok... and if it is the last lap and that faster guy just went "farming" for a long time and I passed him fair and square? Or if the sucky guy like me that was behind my car gets to pass me because I slowed down for a top classified pass and do not touch me? These are the bad sides of the PRO rules for the slower buddies interested in playing and learning with you. In fact, someone gets to improve with a faster guy in front of us.

Of course there aren't perfect solutions, and I understand the actual PRO rules are the best disuatory measure for those guys running backwards. But we all can help in order to find some better ways for all to keep dummy's out and slow guys in...

Mouse

PostThu Jun 04, 2009 8:32 pm

A few weeks ago I actually did a few races (yes that's right, I actually played) and in my second race, I was trying to avoid a backwards driver. He was disabled and then quit. So while I understand that pro-rules may suck sometimes, things can be worse without them.

By the way, you were in a race with 22 cars? :D

Good luck, I hope you are not discouraged. You could always do some offline laps to improve your speed, then you don't need to worry about fuel, damage or other drivers.***

*** Though GPOR does not endorse "lap wanking," in some cases it's a good idea.

Black

PostFri Jun 05, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi Mouse,

You are not quite following, your arguement is one sided and forgive me for saying - selfish. You are only worried about your race and that some inconsiderate bastard knocked you out of contention (not out of the race). Meanwhile, us casual guys get knocked out of the Race, not first place, not second, not third - the race.

Put yourself in my shoes and try to imagine having fun when you know in about 4 or 5 laps you have to start worring about getting touched by a better driver! Get that, a better driver, he should be able to get around me without having to run me, he should have to wait for a proper place to pass me, not the first turn that he catches me on. Just like racing, slower markers are part of the game and while they need to move, they do not do in in desperation, they do not get out of the line on a corner because they might be battling with someone for fifth or sixth.

I guess my point is, we are still racing too. We are fighting for our positions and our points just like you guys, in fact perhaps we are trying even harder because we have a longer way to go. I love to see my name go up the list, even if it is only 2 or 3 postions up - it is just as important to me as it is to you.

Black

dede

PostFri Jun 05, 2009 1:13 pm

Black wrote:Get that, a better driver, he should be able to get around me without having to run me, he should have to wait for a proper place to pass me, not the first turn that he catches me on. Just like racing, slower markers are part of the game and while they need to move, they do not do in in desperation, they do not get out of the line on a corner because they might be battling with someone for fifth or sixth.

Let's not compare TurboSliders to real F1, because it's quite a different scenary. While in F1 driving lines are quite similar for everybody, curve approach might be very different in TurboSliders from driver to driver. Even top players often fail to take best possible line, so it's clear that newbies are a little unpredictable. When I'm not battling for my position, I put all of my efforts not to hit lapped drivers, but that sometimes results in a fail. When battling for position, things become even more complicated.

My suggestion is still to get out of normal line in straights, even if you are battling for position (that's wha happens with "blue flag" in F1 - but in TS giving room in curves is just harder, so straights are places where do do that): the guy you are battling against will have to do the same or he will get disabled, so your battle won't be affected much if both do the same thing.

Disabling pro mode is something that won't happen when the server doesn't have moderators in it. We don't want that it becomes a kind of far west where everything would be allowed, backwards driving included.

Disabling pro mode when administrators are in the server is something that can - and should - be done, since they will take care of punishing backward drivers properly.

dede

PostFri Jun 05, 2009 1:36 pm

Anyway, this season ends Sunday 14, so we should decide settings for new season.

I was thinking to turn off fuel and damage and add bots (too bad that they can't pit..), in order to race against other cars even when the server is empty. The new starting type could be interesting too (random waiting before lights turn off - it gives some importance to the start).

Please post your suggestions.

Black

PostFri Jun 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Thoughtfull, but we will have to agree to disagree. I go back to one of my first comments, PROMODE= no fair play for slower drivers.

Black

PostFri Jun 05, 2009 1:39 pm

sorry Dede, my last post was for mouse. Your ideas sound pretty interesting.

Thanks to you guys for putting up with my arguements and at least considering my thoughts.

dede

PostFri Jun 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Black wrote:I go back to one of my first comments, PROMODE= no fair play for slower drivers.

Yeah, we agree on that. Promode is the only tool we have to stop backward drivers after their first attempt and to maintain a good quality in the server when there are no administrators connected. Don't consider it as a way to penalize slower drivers, that's not it. Imagine if when you play, there is a guy running backwards and hitting cars in every lap. That fucks up your mood even more than getting disabled, and it kills the fun of racing. At least with promode they can do that only once, and you have a chance to complete the race if you give way to faster players.

stummihouse

Hash Code

PostFri Jun 05, 2009 8:13 pm

hello!

there is a change in the standings calculation: now we consider the "hash code" in order to separate different players that play with the same name.

i see now 2 Matic: maybe you are playing from 2 different pc... you can set the same "hash code" in your players, i think.

waiting for dede for more informations about the "hash code :P

dede

PostFri Jun 05, 2009 11:59 pm

Here I come. This change was needed because otherwise different people playing with the same nickname would result in the same ranked player.
If you are listed multiple times in the ranking (for example Matic), it means that your player ID changed. Player profiles are saved in the data/players.da2 file. If you open it with notepad, you will be able to move player profiles between different installation directories or pc's.

Little explanation of the meaning of those lines:

Code: Select all
[+] dede
4fc47e13 0 50 50 50 1   3  250 250 0  50 50 50   ae9edf1f 1c11a41

Each profile is saved in two lines. First line is the player name (in my case [+] dede).
Second line starts with player ID (4fc46e13) which identifies your player profile together with your name. So profiles with same player name and different player ID will result in different ranking entries.
Rest of the code contained in second line represents the color (0 50 50 50 1 3 250 250 0 50 50 50) and the validation hash (ae9edf1f 1c11a41).
Hash has been introduced in version 2.0 for security reasons (previously you could set manually player name and player ID, so it was possible driving with exactly the same player profile than other players without knowing other information. Now any attempts to change player name and ID without knowing the correct validation hash will result in a broken entry, which will be removed by TS. You can manually edit color code though (but take care of making a backup of your player.da2 before doing that).

It is possible to copy player profiles between different installation folders, or also copying the whole players.da2 in order to play with the same "account" from different PC's.

EDIT: Something I forgot to say is that you can't recover a player profile (e.g. if you format your PC). So make a backup of your players.da2 file ;)

Etana

Community User Level: 1

Community User Level: 1

PostTue Jun 09, 2009 9:17 am

Random start could be interesting, though I manage to start too early sometimes even with normal start... Fuel and damage are ok for me, but of course if we want to use bots then it's not possible. Maximum amount of bots should be set to relatively low amount, something like 4-5. Personally I don't like driving with bots, so when there is couple players bots are completely useless and actually annoying :)

dede

PostTue Jun 09, 2009 11:30 am

Etana wrote:Maximum amount of bots should be set to relatively low amount, something like 4-5.

Yeah that was the plan. But we have to think carefully if that's of any use, for the reasons you explained.

Anyway, now it's quite sure we will launch a new car from Open Season 6 so that payers will be trained when September's season will start.
Main changes will be about braking, acceleration and steering. There will be several new tests before the release of TSE-F1, in order to get more feedback from different people. Server name will be "F1 prototype testing" or similar.

Black

PostTue Jun 09, 2009 1:32 pm

When you are considering the brakes perhaps in the pits the brakes could be slightly more effective than elsewhere. Less bumping by accident that way.

dede

PostTue Jun 09, 2009 2:00 pm

Black wrote:When you are considering the brakes perhaps in the pits the brakes could be slightly more effective than elsewhere. Less bumping by accident that way.

In the new car brakes will be more effective everywhere. But we'll put some attention at future trackmaking in order to have better pitlane as you described.
Next

Return to Competitions