It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:12 am

SCARTS - Stock Car Auto Racing on Turbo Sliders

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

[FTR] Burnout

Community User Level: 2

SCARTS - Stock Car Auto Racing on Turbo Sliders

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 8:36 pm

SCARTS is currently searching for more drivers for our oval racing league. For those who do not know, SCARTS simulates NASCAR and the tracks they run on during the course of the season.

We have three series: Full Throttle Cup Series, Phenom Series, and the Rough & Ready Truck Series. These simulate the top three series in NASCAR.

If interested, visit http://scartsracing.darkbb.com

Here are some races we've run this year in Season 3.

Full Throttle Cup Series
The front five in our Las Vegas race and a four-way battle for 1st.

Phenom Series
A snapshot of racing going on at Dover.

Rough & Ready Truck Series
Two wide two deep for the lead here in our season opener for the truck series.
"That boy has got alot of talent, if only he can harness it on a weekly basis."

Pingu

Community User Level: 5

PostTue Oct 13, 2009 9:18 pm

Do many people play this?? I never see a server of this

shyguy1001

PostTue Oct 13, 2009 9:24 pm

There are quite a few regulars, (around 10-12 no?) races are on at something like 6:00 american time (yes I know theres quite a few "american" time zones :P ), so we europeans are sleeping at that time. Quali is about 4 hours before the race tho so on some evenings you may see practice/quali server, I have taken part in a quali session, is harder than you may think :P

Pingu

PostWed Oct 14, 2009 10:27 am

lol sounds cool , but not for eurpoeans then i guess :wink:

Jurgen-NL

Community User Level: 4

PostThu Oct 15, 2009 4:26 pm

yes but the races will be at 0:00 or 1:00 and finished around 2:00 or something like that so most europeans sleep only a few european nightsuvivors
Dont beg for things do it yourself or else you wont get anything!!

[FTR] Burnout

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 4:36 am

I do run this series independent of the mainstream Turbo Sliders forum but I always welcome new entries to the racing if anybody is interested. We race twice a week, usually one top tier league race (Full Throttle) and one of our secondary series (Phenom or Truck). In fact, our truck finale is 8:15pm Eastern time TONIGHT if available. I'll have servers up about three hours before for practice and qualifying.

Our very own Dede has competed in a few races, as well as Mouse and Mike Nike, so it has somewhat of a following but again the league is run seperate of the mainstream TS community but it continues to grow with new tracks and the upcoming 2010 season with even newer tracks and cars. As our league continues to evolve into a full fledged mod, I'll be making SCARTS more and more known.

Our latest road course race at Watkins Glen (It isn't ALL left turns ;))
Whiplash is in that pic in the #99 car :D

Forum address: http://scartsracing.darkbb.com

Klutch

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 5:08 am

join SCARTS, probably the most competitive racing league on Turbo Sliders

[FTR] Burnout

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 5:14 am

Bar none. Since most of our ovals have a progressive banking, you can run anywhere on the track to keep up competitively. Its hard to dominate one of our oval races since the level of competition is so even with lots of options for line choice. Even on this Watkins Glen road course, I designed the handling (not the track, Scorpio made the track) to make the competition fierce with side-by-side battles. This game is great for custom terrain modification which is really helping SCARTS flourish as a league.

Turbo Sliders is a very underrated game but its my favorite racing game for originality.

Mike Nike

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 1:05 pm

Klutch wrote:join SCARTS, probably the most competitive racing league on Turbo Sliders

ouch...you might just try to advertise, but if not...:
testing 2 races, i have to say: in the few years of playing turbo sliders, the scarts league is one of the worst league i liked... though the organization around it is very good - the races themselves seem to be only tolerable if you are a fan of nascar racing.

Mouse

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 4:55 pm

Mike Nike wrote:
Klutch wrote:join SCARTS, probably the most competitive racing league on Turbo Sliders

testing 2 races, i have to say: in the few years of playing turbo sliders, the scarts league is one of the worst league i liked... though the organization around it is very good - the races themselves seem to be only tolerable if you are a fan of nascar racing.

I agree, this is totally different than any other league I have played in, there is good and bad.

Burnout, I guess you don't care as much to make this league accessible to the whole TS community, as you have a decent group currently. Though, if you do want more people, you may want to simplify things a little bit.

I felt the racing was mostly about luck. In one race I had a problem at the start, had to exit the game, and when I rejoined I was -5 laps. All the yellow flags allowed me to take free passes and I lead the race at one point. Yellow flags are very frustrating and easy to take advantage of. If you fall behind.. just crash yourself to bring out a yellow, and you catch up. The races are very long also, something I don't mind, but seriously the first 95% of the race is pointless with yellow flags.

OK, I'll say something that should sum it up... Scorpio won the road course race. Clearly he was not fastest (not even top 5) but 10 (out of 120 laps?) remained and after a yellow flag, he managed to pass people and win. Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Good luck anyway in the cup, I'm not meaning to bash it or anything, because you're doing fine, just don't expect mainstream TS players to enjoy this very much, unless you simplify it.

shyguy1001

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Mouse wrote:
Mike Nike wrote:

I agree, this is totally different than any other league I have played in, there is good and bad.

Burnout, I guess you don't care as much to make this league accessible to the whole TS community, as you have a decent group currently. Though, if you do want more people, you may want to simplify things a little bit.

I felt the racing was mostly about luck. In one race I had a problem at the start, had to exit the game, and when I rejoined I was -5 laps. All the yellow flags allowed me to take free passes and I lead the race at one point. Yellow flags are very frustrating and easy to take advantage of. If you fall behind.. just crash yourself to bring out a yellow, and you catch up. The races are very long also, something I don't mind, but seriously the first 95% of the race is pointless with yellow flags.

OK, I'll say something that should sum it up... Scorpio won the road course race. Clearly he was not fastest (not even top 5) but 10 (out of 120 laps?) remained and after a yellow flag, he managed to pass people and win. Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Good luck anyway in the cup, I'm not meaning to bash it or anything, because you're doing fine, just don't expect mainstream TS players to enjoy this very much, unless you simplify it.

Surely if you activate a yellow flag you should be disqualified? Similar that if you activate a saftey car you really wouldnt be able to continue racing.

dede

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Yeah, sure. Considering that you never joined any TS racing league besides that one...

However, calling it racing is quite sad, since it's all about calculating the right moment to enter the pitlane for the last time. Without any experience players can win just by using a little bit their brain. Yeah sure, it's fun for those who aren't skilled, but it's completely meaningless to drive 40 minutes for a 5 minutes race.

Lexx

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 10:04 pm

The way you put it makes absolutly no sense.
There's a lot to race for. [Lap 1 bonus, halfway, fastest lap etc]

Maybe you guys don't like it as you find it has to be 'luck' to win the race.
But PIT strategy is also a big thing in the F1 league, of course.
Guys like Janne, Tyny, dede Badeend etc are way better than the most of us, but SCARTS is great fun!

You all should just check it out sometime and make your own mind up about it.

Jurgen-NL

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 10:13 pm

dede wrote:

Yeah, sure. Considering that you never joined any TS racing league besides that one...

However, calling it racing is quite sad, since it's all about calculating the right moment to enter the pitlane for the last time. Without any experience players can win just by using a little bit their brain. Yeah sure, it's fun for those who aren't skilled, but it's completely meaningless to drive 40 minutes for a 5 minutes race.

seems like your tries playing in the scarts league werent the much positive(even when you drove my car :lol: maybe its cursed since i havent won any race either with it :twisted: )
but instead of giving it negative feedback you could just leave it alone :wink: but okay everyone can give their opnion about it. im not saying your right or wrong but in real nascar races it also comes down to the last 30-50 laps so i dont think youll see that changeing. anyway thats all i wanted to say for now :wink: .

Whiplash

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 11:30 pm

dede wrote:However, calling it racing is quite sad, since it's all about calculating the right moment to enter the pitlane for the last time. Without any experience players can win just by using a little bit their brain. Yeah sure, it's fun for those who aren't skilled, but it's completely meaningless to drive 40 minutes for a 5 minutes race.

Hah, man, I totally agree with that. I played it just once and I tough that I don't understand the rules well. I was the worst player on the track, but the best one was just a few cm (in real life:few m :wink: ) in front of me. He couldn't show his skill because someone was calling yell almost every fuc... lap. In my opinion SCARTS is only good for people who want easy win, not to get better skill. Sorry.

[FTR] Burnout

PostThu Oct 22, 2009 11:31 pm

This is exactly why I have kept SCARTS under the radar. "Its up to alot of criticism by the longtime players." If I hear to much of that, I feel less motivated to fix anything and help it succeed. We've done alot and changed alot over the last year and a half and now I feel like were at a point to make it more pronounced as a league.

Yes its different from what you guys typically race on Turbo Sliders. Yes there are rules. Yes there is luck. But this all revolves around the sport of oval racing and if you don't like it, don't play it. And Lexx is right, for those racing for titles there is alot more to race for which puts a kink in your strategy. And yeah the last pitstop is key to take enough because you have no clue how slow the pace will be before the race ends. Strategy and luck in my opinion is alot more fun than knowing you can dominate races. It keeps suspense.

dede

PostFri Oct 23, 2009 6:52 am

Jurgen-NL wrote:seems like your tries playing in the scarts league werent the much positive

Why you say so? I obtained very good results. Anyway I didn't say it's shit. I just complained that people say things without knowing anything about what they are saying, and that this isn't what I mean by racing. In SCARTS league you can basically play random until the last pitstop. No high concentration needed, since you can always crash and call a yellow.
In my opinion, racing is driving with high pressure and concentration for all race long. I can feel something different in those cases than racing in SCARTS league.
Besides that, I join all TS leagues when possible (SCARTS is 2 hours later than the time I go to bed), even if I consider them not so enjoyable.

Jurgen-NL

PostFri Oct 23, 2009 10:34 am

dede wrote:
Jurgen-NL wrote:seems like your tries playing in the scarts league werent the much positive

Why you say so? I obtained very good results. Anyway I didn't say it's shit. I just complained that people say things without knowing anything about what they are saying, and that this isn't what I mean by racing. In SCARTS league you can basically play random until the last pitstop. No high concentration needed, since you can always crash and call a yellow.
In my opinion, racing is driving with high pressure and concentration for all race long. I can feel something different in those cases than racing in SCARTS league.
Besides that, I join all TS leagues when possible (SCARTS is 2 hours later than the time I go to bed), even if I consider them not so enjoyable.

the way you put it to words now sounds 10 times better then you did before and to be even more honest i agree with you on this (since when i raced i went for the wins and poles not the title`s)

[FTR] Burnout

PostFri Oct 23, 2009 3:10 pm

The driving line style was introduced in our series for the sole purpose of evening the competition. I want everybody to succeed at some point without one person winning all the races all the time. If you think there is no skill in caution flags, brother we need to talk because oval racing is a high speed chess match as they call it. There is alot going on that you may not realize as a first timer to the series. Your position at the end of the race is dependent ON EVERYTHING you do earlier on. Not just the last caution as Dede puts it. Think of it, we don't practice with fuel in practice. You have to figure that out yourself and not just calculate the max fuel distance. You have to mentally calculate a 'fuel window' where you know you can make it to the end if cautions slow us down frequently. And besides that, finding a race groove you might use to win the race later on. Your result is based on how you read the race and how comfortable with the track you are.

To me, strategy is fun and there IS focus in that.

dede

PostFri Oct 23, 2009 5:44 pm

[FTR] Burnout wrote:Your position at the end of the race is dependent ON EVERYTHING you do earlier on. Not just the last caution as Dede puts it.

Obviously. 90% is about using the brain without caring too much about the position. Then later on you just need to lapwank 5 minutes to bring home the victory. As I said before, I prefer a different type of racing, where brain, pressure and speed are involved in the whole race non-stop.
I think I joined enough races to understand how it works and to have my own opinion about it, don't you think so? :P

Whiplash

PostFri Oct 23, 2009 6:05 pm

dede wrote:As I said before, I prefer a different type of racing...

Come one man, say it: ''I prefer real race''. Don't be shy. :wink:

Mouse

PostFri Oct 23, 2009 8:42 pm

[FTR] Burnout wrote:...If I hear to much of that, I feel less motivated to fix anything and help it succeed....

What would motivate to you change things then? Seems like a stubborn mindset.

[FTR] Burnout wrote:...Yes there are rules. Yes there is luck. But this all revolves around the sport of oval racing and if you don't like it, don't play it...

I have watched NASCAR for many years, and you're correct about that. Though, it's too extreme here. It seems you need to be 90% lucky to win, if you're actually fast it really does not matter. It's as if I'm role-playing rather than racing (if that makes and sense to anyone).

[FTR] Burnout wrote:The driving line style was introduced in our series for the sole purpose of evening the competition. I want everybody to succeed at some point without one person winning all the races all the time.

Good idea, but you should not make the best drivers need luck. If there are superior drivers, they should always win. NASCAR is always a bit of a lottery, but you always see the same drivers up front (see: Jimmie Johnson).

[FTR] Burnout wrote:If you think there is no skill in caution flags, brother we need to talk because oval racing is a high speed chess match as they call it.

Well I guess we need to talk. It's very dumb if someone crashes, he calls for a re-do. Also I think NASCAR is not much of a chess match, more like rolling dice.

[FTR] Burnout wrote: You have to figure that out yourself and not just calculate the max fuel distance. You have to mentally calculate a 'fuel window' where you know you can make it to the end if cautions slow us down frequently. And besides that, finding a race groove you might use to win the race later on. Your result is based on how you read the race and how comfortable with the track you are.

Does this need to last for an hour though? Qualifying is utterly pointless, so is practicing. I agree with dede that you can sit around for the first 90 laps, and the last 10 push past everyone and win. Why not make the races something like 20-30 minutes?

I hosted a few oval leagues years ago. They were VERY simple, and much more enjoyable. People don't hate oval racing as much, but most of this is not really actual racing.

I think you're trying to re-create WATCHING NASCAR rather than actually racing NASCAR.

God I'm making friends today...

*gets in F1 car to flee*

[FTR] Burnout

PostThu Oct 29, 2009 6:28 pm

We tested out Teamspeak the other day and it worked well. Klutch had to borrow a server for testing and our race went alot smoother and easier to understand. It'd be great if the Turbo Sliders community could chip in on purchasing Teamspeak servers for all of the various servers like GPOR, Terra, Punaball and others to be able to chat online as a community.

SCARTS is currently in process of transitioning into a fulltime Teamspeak league but at the moment we are only able to borrow servers from those who let us or until we purchase our own to use.

shyguy1001

PostThu Oct 29, 2009 7:10 pm

[FTR] Burnout wrote:Terra

Speaking of which, what happened to the terra servers? When I used to play that used to be where alot of people went for online play, now they all have ping 300+ and are pretty much deserted :S

Scorpio

Community User Level: 1

Community User Level: 1

PostSat Oct 31, 2009 1:27 am

hmm..all the down talkers dont have success at all in the racing, dede, some luck, yet alot of fails.....mike, because u couldent manage to place atleast a car from last shh..mouse, same... down talking because you simply cant win is because of the competition, we have been able to race 3-4 wide for about 10 laps at a time in alot of tracks, 2 wide at watkins glenn Road Course for about 3 laps, which u never are 2 wide for more than a single corner in ur f1 leagues, i grow board of the sheer gaps in road racing (f1 style) in the watkins glenn race, no one was a more than 3 seconds off at the finish, in the f1 leagues 2nd is close to about 30 seconds (half a lap) to about 3-4 laps down....kinda gets repetitive when all you are racing is yourself..
Next

Return to Competitions