Fun Races

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lanz
Community User Level: 4

Post by Lanz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Quali

Race

thx guys! 8)
after all those last disappointments i had to change my view on this races! the lucky win at Lake Endry gave me to much convidence! :D glad that i can see again the difference between quali and race! also that nice server that was on helped me a lot, to do some good laps for preparation! hope ill see it again! :D all in all great racing!
thx for joining!

[siLciR]
Community User Level: 2

Post by [siLciR] » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:21 pm

u'r lucky the new time at which the race is made doesnt suit me. Otherwise it would be total pwnage. hahaha :D

Lanz

Post by Lanz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:48 pm

FUN RACE#15
Sunday 07.08.2011 19:00CET!

Car: TSE-F1beta2c
Warm up: 10laps/fuel off
Quali: 10laps/fuel off/ghost on
Race: 30laps/fuel off

Track:
de_Canadring
http://www.turbosliders.com/view_track.php?id=545

Lap Times

cya on practice server!

shyguy1001
Community User Level: 5

Post by shyguy1001 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:47 pm

The wet version of that track is very nice.. just saying :P

Lanz

Post by Lanz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:08 pm

shyguy1001 wrote:The wet version of that track is very nice.. just saying :P

indeed, thats why i took it! kinda joke that we didnt drove a rain race til now! maybe we will see one in the future! :D

misterpom
Community User Level: 3

Post by misterpom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:33 am

38.258. Seems like a nice lap. I think 38.000 is possible.

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Under 38 is definitely possible

Hevonen

Post by Hevonen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:43 pm

38.237.. not a perfect lap but good for me. Clearly im improving :P

Lanz

Post by Lanz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:36 pm

dede wrote:although I'm not sure if we can have a full season of unreleased tracks. We'll see ;)

T stopped making Tracks or what? do i have to get my lazy ass up?

@pom: i watched your race and if your talking about the last lap i dont think that you had to wait! you were much faster on the straight but there was no space to avoid the contact with Hevonen! so from my point of view no unfair move from you!

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 am

Thanks, Lanz.

I didn't want to cause any trouble anyway. It was fun race. I probably wouldn't stop if it was F1 Season. I didn't think I was wrong but I didn't want to upset anyone.

Hevonen

Post by Hevonen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:11 am

38.038 8)

Thank you anyway Pom, you are great and fair driver.

dede

Post by dede » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Lanz wrote:T stopped making Tracks or what? do i have to get my lazy ass up?

Well, I believe he can make some more tracks, but I don't want to announce a "unreleased tracks" cup with 0 ready tracks. Let's start making tracks if we want to drive on unreleased tracks!

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:06 pm

dede wrote:
Lanz wrote:T stopped making Tracks or what? do i have to get my lazy ass up?

Well, I believe he can make some more tracks, but I don't want to announce a "unreleased tracks" cup with 0 ready tracks. Let's start making tracks if we want to drive on unreleased tracks!

Released - better (at least for me)
It would be better just to make all tracks rainy, so that we can have any of tracks under the rain by some percent possibility. Maybe only weather conditions should be unreleased. 20% of tracks could be under the rain. Having new tracks will not make more fun I think.

lux2

Post by lux2 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Which rules for the new F1 league?
Fuel on/off? Track unreleased until the last minute?

I have 2 tracks (4 if you count wet/dry version) with short grid (easy to change with the long one).
One of them is better if fuel off because with fuel on some corners could become "full throttle". Both have a laptime around 50s.

Another track needs to be finished. There's only the pattern. Laptime will be around 60/70s. I'll finish it sooner or later.

So, if tracks will be unreleased until the last minute, you'll have 2 track avilable if fuel on and 3 if fuel off.
If "unreleased track" means that a new track will be wanked for a week before the race, like in the past league, count 0 tracks available :wink:

If someone wants to finish my tracks with the editor i'm happy to provide him the patterns and the big tiles.
I like to create shapes but i don't like to do all things that require the editor.

dede

Post by dede » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Yeah, by "unreleased" i mean that tracks will be released at the race on sunday, not the week before for wanking. I'd prefer to keep tracks unreleased because it just add more fun and interest in the race event.

I still have to decide what to do if 40 players sign up..

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 pm

@Hevonen

Thanks for the nice words. You're also a great and fair player. It's always a joy having against you.

About tracks:

I once tried to create tracks but the shapes weren't very good. They were okay but not TSE level. Also, my kerbs looked like shit. I tried to follow the FAQ closely but somehow I still fucked up on the kerbs. Dede tried to help me but couldn't do much about the low quality of it.

When I have spare time I will try to make one decent track. I doubt I will accomplish anything.

Someone should do one of those videos where they teach each step haha. LOL.

About F1 Season:

I remember liking both styles very much. I like the surprise of an unreleased track. Puschtras worked well this way and it was very good. The only thing is that people could give it a clue if ti's a wet race or not because I don't really enjoy them.

Also, I liked the released tracks with rookie race and pro race on the other F1 season. Trying to make it to the top 20 on the dedicated server was hard at times and very satisfying when you got a nice lap.

I wouldn't like to see fuel back, to be quite honest. It's not a big deal but I got used to no fuel and I think it's more rookie friendly.

Subscription are mandatory in my view. Some idiots tried to ruin Fun Race and one race even had to start all over because of backwards driving.

10 races would be nice. 19pm CET is a nice time to race.

I think those are the basic things I have to say.

GR8Arjen

Post by GR8Arjen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:00 am

dede wrote:I still have to decide what to do if 40 players sign up..

Well, that aint so hard,

We could use the same quali system as last year. I think it worked perfectly with the rookie race with two wild cards for the main event.

Ok it removes the possibility of unreleased tracks on raceday, but the wanking quali system guarentees serious players on sunday, which is undoubtedly something we should want in these races.

Just my two cents. ;)

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:06 am

Fuel + Tyres.. I was discussing with tijny earlier, simply set the tarmac as damage terrain and the new strategy it creates is great, pitting earlier can now be an advantage to get in clean air with newer tyres, set fast laps and leapfrog the opposition. But then, once they pit, they may be behind you but.. they will have newer tyres, and should catch you up. Also, it means that perhaps a more aggressive strategy with lower fuel and more stops is more likely to work, cos as well as the benefits of lower fuel, you also have the benefits of always fresh tyres.

We tried in in SCARTS, and in the races where there aren't morons calling YEL every five laps, it created very interesting strategies. With a standing start, no interruptions from YEL, I think the strategy it could create would bring much more fun to the F1 league if coupled with fuel.

Matic
Community User Level: 1
Community User Level: 1

Post by Matic » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:24 am

next F1 league

no fuel no Matic

dede

Post by dede » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 am

Tyre wear could be interesting, but settings should be picked accurately. The bad thing is that wear is the same for everybody, meaning that you can't save tyres by driving less aggressive. We can put two different levels of damage (ideal line = less wear), but it wouldn't quite solve the problem.

About the qualify system, it could work like in last season with the only difference that qualify track is the one we drove in previous race. The rookie event would be based on last race's track also, so the unreleased track will be only for pro race.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:15 am

dede wrote:Tyre wear could be interesting, but settings should be picked accurately. The bad thing is that wear is the same for everybody, meaning that you can't save tyres by driving less aggressive. We can put two different levels of damage (ideal line = less wear), but it wouldn't quite solve the problem.
Another slight drawback would be that tyre wear wouldn't affect the handling of the car, only the acceleration/top speed. About the issue you mentioned, one very simple "solution" would be to make sand/grass/etc. inflict many times as much damage to the tyres compared to tarmac. Not only is this realistic, it also means that driving more aggressively will logically wear out your tyres more, since you are bound to make more mistakes.

lux2

Post by lux2 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:03 am

Tijny wrote:...tyre wear wouldn't affect the handling of the car, only the acceleration/top speed

This is the reason for I think that tyre wear is quite useless.
TS is a simple and fun game. It's NOT a simulator!
Don't try to simulate things that u can't simulate expecially when results have nothing to do with the real behaviour that u are searching for.

While tyres wear produces a speed down, fuel consumption produces a speed up, my fun will go to the toilet before the start.

EDIT: I agree 100% with dede's idea of prequali and rookie race.

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:01 pm

What Tijny said is what we do in SCARTS - if you run over the grass, its like your tyres are "dirty" and destroys your tyres a bit. Also in SCARTS we paint the ideal line with a different type of tarmac to the outside line etc. and make the kerbs a little more hurt on the tyres too so the tighter you turn the car, the more you kill your tyres but this isn't exactly necessary.

As for the idea about not affecting the handling - well unfortunately that's this game. Same can be said for fuel - in reality fuel doesn't simply slowdown the acceleration or top speed, the car will feel lighter and you can brake later and turn faster as fuel goes down.. but in TS it simply feels like your engine is less powerful on top fuel. Doesn't make it any less interesting playing with it though..

And yes, the settings must be picked accurately. I would suggest you change the settings a little race per race to keep it fun and keep people guessing - at some tracks maybe tyres are very "durable" and less pitstops is the way to go.. and at some tracks maybe tyres "fall off" fast and more pitstops are needed for a slightly faster strategy.

Of course, it's only a suggestion, but the level of strategy it brings is something which could be very good.

dede

Post by dede » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like your suggestions.. but..

Unreleased track - 20min practice&quali + 30min race.. fuel & variable tyre wear to be experimented... Wouldn't it be too hard? :P

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Hmmm as long as tyres never wear faster than fuel, then it's ok.. problems in SCARTS come in races where there is many yels and tyres go down at same rate even when pacing (but less fuel is used).. but of course there is not this problem in F1. The two main settings to adjust is maxenergy (something suitably high so tyres don't wear over course of a fuel run) and maxslowdown. If maxslowdown is low, having newer tyres won't make as much of a difference as if maxslowdown is high. Of course it also depends on the damage line set in the .trk file, on how high a damage the tarmac is set.

So I would suggest, you make sure trackmakers keep the damage terrain line in their tracks the same, so that you know what to expect from how fast tyres will go down at different maxenergies. Then, the maxslowdown.. well it wouldn't really matter whether it was high or low as everyone would be on the same level playing field..

In SCARTS we found tyres don't make a huge difference to strategy at road courses until the maxslowdown goes to at least 0.1, we used settings of 0.14 for our road course races and while the second one was ruined by lots of YEL's, the first one we had a long 40 lap run to the end and the strategy was very interesting. I somewhere after the restart and so was way back in traffic, saw there was a gap of clean air behind me if I made a pitstop so did so, set lots of fast laps on new tyres while the leaders were battling and assumed the lead by 3 seconds after they had made their stops about ten laps later. Unfortunately for me then, they had new tyres so were catching me.. it would of been a good ending but sadly I crashed lapping someone :lol: If these sorts of strategies could come to the F1 league..