Quick 2vs2 PunaBall Tournament #5 - Monday 01 August 2011

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dide Dide
Community User Level: 2

Post by Dide Dide » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:39 pm

i dunno if i will make it, my net is not working

dede
Community User Level: 5

Post by dede » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Reminder: cup starts in less than 2 hours..

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:26 am

Great cup, the final was one of the most hard-fought matches I've ever played, which makes coming out on top even more sweet.

Here are the full results:

Group A:
Famagustas & SpainLove vs. dede & Badeend 1-11
Balky & Lindbaeck vs. Tijny & kapa112 2-18

dede & Badeend vs. Balky & Lindbaeck 15-1
Famagustas & SpainLove vs. Tijny & kapa112 7-12

Famagustas & SpainLove vs. Balky & Lindbaeck 17-3
dede & Badeend vs. Tijny & kapa112 3-11

Group B:
Del & Kyna_Musti vs. Cezar & oleole 7-4
xzeal & Kuite vs. olio & Iijo 5-4

Del & Kyna_Musti vs. olio & Iijo 9-4
xzeal & Kuite vs. Cezar & oleole 4-6

olio & Iijo vs. Cezar & oleole 6-7
Del & Kyna_Musti vs. xzeal & Kuite 2-0

Semi-Finals:
Tijny & kapa112 vs Cezar & oleole 5-0, 5-3
dede & Badeend vs. Del & Kyna_Musti 5-2, 6-4

Bronze Match:
Del & Kyna_Musti vs. Cezar & oleole 10-8, 10-4

Final:
Tijny & kapa112 vs. dede & Badeend 10-7, 5-10, 11-9

Top Scorers:

Code: Select all

[+] Tijny            43
[iR] kapa112         34
[+] dede             33
[+] Badeend          33
Kyna_Musti           24
Ðel                  20
oleole               20
SpainLove            13
Cezar                12
Famagustas           12
[+] olio              8
Iijo                  6
[*$*] Kuite           5
[+] xzeal             4
Balky                 4
Lindbaeck             2

Fama

Post by Fama » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:36 am

Congratz to the winners, the 2nd 3rd place and organization :) Nicely done as usual.

dede

Post by dede » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks to Tijny for scores and thanks to every player who competed in this cup. Everything was much faster than previous cup and with much less stress for me. A special thanks to those who administrated the servers so nicely.

Now to our result:

I'm not completely satisfied of first matches and semi final, and I guess I understood what was the problem. I noticed that I use to play less aggressively than in normal matches, leaving too much gap between my mate and myself. This leads to better defense (the risk of fast counter attack is lowered), but it also drops teamplay and attacking possibilities.
I believe I made this mistake in whole previous cup (w/ olio) and in this cup except last two matches (and a half).
The final matches were long and hard indeed. Too bad that it ended badly for us, but I have to say that I enjoyed and had fun, and that's the most important thing when you don't manage to win! ;)

Next cup might be organized in the final week of August or in September.

Cya!

olio

Post by olio » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Nice cup, congrats for the winners. It was really fascinating to watch the final, you could actually feel the tension and pressure the players had.

What comes to our games, I didn't expect us to get through the group phase. But looking it after the matches, I think it was possible. For the first game against xzeal and Kuite we would've needed a warm-up, neither of us played any puna before the tournament. We were losing already quite a lot in that match but we managed to close the gap into only a one goal. In second match against Kyna and Del we didn't really stand a chance but it was also a very frustrating match because it seemed that every possible bounce ball went to our net. They were a lot more lucky but of course also more skilled. And you have to remember, that good positioning is always a big part of luck. In the last match against Cezar and oleole we were the lucky ones, but couple of my stupid mistakes in defense cost us the victory.

Overall I'm quite happy how we played. With some training together and more puna hours for Iijo I think we could (at least with similar group) make it through from the group phase. Most of the bad situations for us were basically my fault, as I've used to play with top players (even though I'm not one myself) so I wasn't aware enough of Iijo's situation in the field and I often took too big risks when going into the ball even if he was somewhat out of the game. I should've been more aware of the general situation in the field. But, it was fun to play with him so I enjoyed the matches (apart from the frustrating one :P) even though we lost all of them.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:08 pm

olio wrote:It was really fascinating to watch the final, you could actually feel the tension and pressure the players had.
Yeah, I've never seen so much, shall we say, emotional discharge after every goal. That was awesome, haha.

dede wrote:I'm not completely satisfied of first matches and semi final, and I guess I understood what was the problem. I noticed that I use to play less aggressively than in normal matches, leaving too much gap between my mate and myself. This leads to better defense (the risk of fast counter attack is lowered), but it also drops teamplay and attacking possibilities.
I believe I made this mistake in whole previous cup (w/ olio) and in this cup except last two matches (and a half).
That's odd, because in our group game and partly the first leg of the final we had no trouble scoring goals against you even though you say you played defensively. Then you started playing more aggressively, and suddenly no one was scoring anymore. :D

But yeah, it is hard to find the right balance between defense and offense, especially in games like these. Staying too far back often hurts your defense more than it helps, since you can't get to the loose ball before your opponents. Anyway, I guess it's not so much the pressure that makes me play differently, I'm just much more concentrated than I normally am which causes me to make a lot less mistakes.

dede

Post by dede » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Tijny wrote:That's odd, because in our group game and partly the first leg of the final we had no trouble scoring goals against you even though you say you played defensively. Then you started playing more aggressively, and suddenly no one was scoring anymore.

Playing defensively doesn't mean that defense works better, but just that attack is null. Against average players it worked anyway, since sooner or later Badeend scored the goals we needed, but against good players it's nonsense, since it usually becomes a 1vs2 match in both attack and defense.

kapa112
Community User Level: 1

Post by kapa112 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:15 am

Reaching the final with Tijny was, well, obvious, since he's the only player I know that can(at least I think so) team up with anyone and still win. We could've also had some optimistic views for those final games, cause we won d+B in the group phase, having almost no problem with scoring, just like Tijny said.
The first game started as we expected, although after sometime it became clear to us that d+B won't be that easy to beat anymore. Luckily, over an hour of never-ending pressure gave us victory. Congratz to the ones we've beaten. :)

Anyway, thanks to dede for organizing and, as usual, looking forward to seeing more of those in the future! :D

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 am

kapa112 wrote:...since he's the only player I know that can(at least I think so) team up with anyone and still win...

Hmm, I could find one player with whom even T can't win. :oops:

Fama

Post by Fama » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:19 pm

..."since he's the only player I know that can(at least I think so) team up with anyone and still win" i think that's not true, since kapa is an exelent player, like tijny. I understood what you said, maybe its easier to T to play with anyone since he play well like always, but the word "anyone" is not the most correct, as i suppose your including very low players...

kapa112

Post by kapa112 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Famagusta$ wrote:..."since he's the only player I know that can(at least I think so) team up with anyone and still win" i think that's not true, since kapa is an exelent player, like tijny. I understood what you said, maybe its easier to T to play with anyone since he play well like always, but the word "anyone" is not the most correct, as i suppose your including very low players...

Ok, ok, "anyone" is a little bit too wide, there are players that just can't play this game, but I'm sure(and so is all of you, no matter how hard you try to change my mind) Tijny wouldn't team up with such guy. :roll:

iBlaze²
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3

Post by iBlaze² » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:26 pm

kapa112 wrote:...there are players that just can't play this game

Hello :D

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Del wrote:
kapa112 wrote:Ok, ok, "anyone" is a little bit too wide, there are players that just can't play this game, but I'm sure(and so is all of you, no matter how hard you try to change my mind) Tijny wouldn't team up with such guy. :roll:
So Tinjy can win with anyone as long as they're one of the very best puna players. Not that surprising given he's one of them himself. So what was the point you were trying to make?
Yep, you're right. Given how hard the final was, there were only 3 players competing in this cup that I could've won the title with - all of whom played in the final. You're just being way too modest, kapa. I couldn't have beaten dedeend with anyone but you - or no one else that took part in the cup anyway.

Fama

Post by Fama » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Hello everyone! Shall we do another puna cup during this week? We had 3 weeks to rest and improve since last cup. Puna players(me including) are willing to play in a more "serious" way again i guess. So who's with me?

Puna greetings :wink:

kapa112

Post by kapa112 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:12 pm

I think dede said he'll be busy for another couple of weeks, so we should expect that cup is gonna be held in September(if we're lucky). I doubt there's someone willing to manage the cup himself, it's stressful. :P

dede

Post by dede » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:56 pm

I wanted to organize it for next monday, but I'm busy, I can't make it. There might be a slight chance we can play it on Monday 12 September, otherwise it needs to be postponed to Monday 26 September.