[planning] TurboSliders.com F1 League 2011 Edition

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tijny
Community User Level: 5

Post by Tijny » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 am

dede wrote:I confirm that we will play a test race this sunday @ 21:00 CEST. Settings to be defined yet and track too. Server open @ 20:50 CEST.
What about the car? We're not going to use a beta car AGAIN this season are we? I'd like a final version and I'd like it soon.

dede

Post by dede » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:51 am

Etmil wrote:PS. What is that in FIN/EST time? :P
22:00 FIN, 21:00 ITA/GER, 20:00 UK

lux2
Community User Level: 2

Post by lux2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:58 pm

OOOK
I'll be there

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Anyone wanna help me making F1 style graphics for videos? Using the old "f1 style graphics", here's an example of what I had so far, once you've seen the first test video of course you will be able to help even more:

http://www.filedropper.com/printscreengraphics

I need player graphics, plus perhaps tables for the points, results, qualifying etc.

Also nice (but not essential) would be a table copy of the positions each lap with the seconds behind of each person, perhaps how many stops they made, etc. I guess I will probably end up doing it in excel and copying it in but if anyone can make nicer graphics, it would be appreciated.

Lanz
Community User Level: 4
Community User Level: 4

Post by Lanz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:02 pm

lux2 wrote:OOOK
I'll be there
nice! of course me too!

GR8Arjen
Community User Level: 3

Post by GR8Arjen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:35 am

Back from holidays!

I'll do my best to be arround. I missed the competiion very much, so looking forward to it. Although I will be rusty, and need some tracktime. More then most of U guys since you all have more tallent then me I gues.

Jaykoq

Post by Jaykoq » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:40 pm

i'll be there ... there is lot of dust on my f1-beta-car, so i need to take that off :D
I'm a moron \o/

GR8Arjen

Post by GR8Arjen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:49 am

Jaykoq wrote:i'll be there ... there is lot of dust on my f1-beta-car, so i need to take that off :D

Talking dust... haha... Can you even imagine how bad the team Fungus cars smell!!!!

There like unacceptable, but I have good news!

Team Fungus has a new sponsor!!!

Stating next season, we are proud to anounce Power Magic as lead sponsor for team Power Magic Fungus!

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Will new car be prepared too?

Jaykoq

Post by Jaykoq » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Is it possible to create smth like KERS via "fire" button? :/
I'm a moron \o/

dede

Post by dede » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Jaykoq wrote:Is it possible to create smth like KERS via "fire" button? :/
Yeah, but it will work for car in front of you (missile!). Heaheah :D

Jaykoq

Post by Jaykoq » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:42 pm

dede wrote:
Jaykoq wrote:Is it possible to create smth like KERS via "fire" button? :/
Yeah, but it will work for car in front of you (missile!). Heaheah :D
No, I mean like ... fire button is used in SCARTS for "not re-fueling" ... so I thought we could use that for KERS or smth like that if possible ... I dunno how it is programmed :/
I'm a moron \o/

mjay
Community User Level: 1
Community User Level: 1

Post by mjay » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:47 pm

no i think there should be testing to find some kind of brake wear (because some people brake to much :) )

dede

Post by dede » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:52 am

Jaykoq wrote:No, I mean like ... fire button is used in SCARTS for "not re-fueling" ... so I thought we could use that for KERS or smth like that if possible ... I dunno how it is programmed :/
Yes, fire button works like that, but it comes together with the game itself, it's not a programmable feature.

dede

Post by dede » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:30 am

The first test race will be tonight at 21:00 CEST! This is the server: 85.17.220.2:6656

Later!

pablinho15

Post by pablinho15 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:57 pm

dede wrote:The first test race will be tonight at 21:00 CEST! This is the server: 85.17.220.2:6656

Later!
GMT?

dede

Post by dede » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:33 pm

pablinho15 wrote:GMT?
It should be 19:00 GMT, meaning in 1h and 30m from now.

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:43 pm

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/f ... p1=37&ah=1

I suggest using this site. You just have to click, check your city (or one with the same timezone) and that's it. It avoids the whole GMT/CET bullshit which confuses a lot of people.

Jaykoq

Post by Jaykoq » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Cannot receive the server list :/
I'm a moron \o/

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:04 pm

Too much lag. I was trying to resist Etmil's attack and then a lag throws me on a rock and I lose like 5 positions or more trying to get away from it. After that it got even worse so I just quit. I knew there was no chance.

My feedback:

About the tyre damage: I hated it. I mean, my starting laps on qualy were pretty bad and they were faster than my last lap, which was much better. It makes no sense. I just wasted fuel. You either have to get your best lap in the beginning or it's over for you. Qualy is fun because anything can happen until the very last lap and it's up to you to give your best shot and make it. Tyre damage kills it by making the car super slow. No incentive to continue whatsoever. You have one shot and that's it. It was nice seeing people on their last lap getting an amazing time out of their asses and having the pole. That would be gone with tyre damage, unfortunately.

I think the most basic the better. Going to pit stop every 5 or 6 laps would kill the fun for me. I think it complicates too much. I can't even think of the idea of doing it and having to hit fire button or some crap like that. It just spells "annoying" to me. Do we need more than one strategy? Keep it simple, I say. Turbo Sliders is not a simulator.

Also, I consider myself to be an aggressive player. I think the risk of damaging the tyre by going on the dirt is an incentive not to try harder and pass someone. I don't want to "save tyres". I want to go really fast and overcome the other player like it's nobody's business without worrying about tyre wear.

I can understand that some guys like the idea of more strategy and have fun calculating consumption and shit like that but I think that "go getter" players like myself won't like this too much.

I hope the idea is dropped.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Damn, I watched that Flyguy blocking all drivers whole race. After he did it to T I decided to ban him. But, f***, I typed wrong IP, so I banned Simmser. :oops: They had similar IP (109.xxx)and they were one under another. Sorry. So many stupid people in that race. Luckily, it was I test. Sorry Simmser once again. :oops:

lux2

Post by lux2 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Whiplash wrote:...so I banned Simmser.
Nooo, simms was really fair until he was there. :D Consider this as a payment for all those times that he parked his car on the fc grid.

About the race, I liked a lot tyrewear.
I was thinking that it was a stupid thing but I liked it. I can't be definitive about this, but the first feel was really fine.

About how the the league races have to work, I still have the same idea:
- prequali (ww style) on the previous track
- rookie race un the previous track
- disclose the new unrealesed track just before the main race warm up.

I don't think I'll try hard to qualify myself, so I plan to always race the rookie race.

At the moment... NICE!

dede

Post by dede » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:24 pm

First of all, thanks to all players who showed up. Hopefully in few days the master server will be back up, so it'll be easier to find us next week.

I made some major mistakes that I won't repeat. Server password will change during the cup, I do NOT want additional admins except myself, Tijny, lux and Lanz. There will be NO spectators allowed and possibly no IRC bot either.

About the race, I do not really know if tyre wear is a good addition. My car speed was about the same for the whole race (about 0.5 difference maximum). I expected to battle against Tijny and experiment some, but I ended up racing alone. I will do different tactic next time..

Your feedback?

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Hmmmm.. I'm still not sure if fuel to the end of the race would bring tyres into a better light. Also Pom, I'm not sure if you misunderstood that you can change tyres in quali :) Lots of people used it to a good effect. I thought it was a nice touch, but perhaps unessential. I really wouldn't mind whether tyres were used or not in quali in the league.

As for the race: Well, I did a two pit strategy and kept right with the 3 stoppers, so I don't think you had to pit every 5 or 6 laps :) The fuel really cancelled the tyres out.. Until the end of the race, when all had the same fuel, that was the only time the tyres really came into play. Thus I think, maybe fueled to the end of the race, and tyres with a much lower slowdown (between 0.100-0.140) may bring the strategy into a more simple to calculate way.

Personally, I would like a race format to be like thus:

Release the track at the start of the week. Have a weekly wank to get top 18 cars, rookie race for 2 wildcards, etc. This way, I can calculate the total time lost by going down the pitlane, tyre strategies, etc. This would allow me to modify my tyre strategy mid race.

Comments on the race:

Exciting start racing with Lexx, from then on, working my way up the positions with solid laps before and after the stops, and came out just behind lux after a slow final stop. My new tyres allowed me to pass him (this is the tyres coming into play at the end thing I mentioned earlier), and from there I pulled a gap, chasing Lanz at times but eventially cruising to 5th, happy mostly to not get lapped by dede! :)

Etmil

Post by Etmil » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:48 pm

misterpom wrote:Also, I consider myself to be an aggressive player.
Oh yeah.. you definitely were quite aggressive there during the first couple of laps. I thought you were maybe low on fuel so I let you go but damn, it was like you braked into the corners using me all the time.

About tyre-wear, I had no problem with it, it was actually kind of cool. I had no trouble managing my tyres and fuel at the same time. And it went pretty well for me so I really don't know.. if it helped me in the way that it made other drivers perform worse, then by all means - let's have it :D But I'm not so sure. Currently I'm okay with it!

Qualification went smoothly for me, I guess. I managed to get 7th on the grid, which was decent I suppose. Also had 36% of fuel, bit more than I was planning for the 1st stint, which was due to my opting for aborting my final qualifying lap. So I was well-prepared to fight for a position in the top 5. At least that's what I was thinking at that time, before the race.

Start was fairly okay, I didn't get a good take-off, but at the same time I didn't lose any places right away. After a couple of corners though, Misterpom was behind me and trying very very hard to pass me. Quite aggressive there but whatever. I let him go and tried to do my best. Soon he ran into some other drivers and I caught up. Could not repass him though and settled then for 8th, I think?

Soon I saw lux behind me, but immediately after that Pom went into the sand (lag problems I hear) and that opened up the track in front of me. Not that he was close to me and holding me up or anything, but now I could just settle on my own race, trying to be consistent and not to make any mistakes. Lux didn't pose a threat to me so I could just go.
Then I found myself running 5th or so? Don't really remember. After a while Eddie/Tijny caught up with me, I think he was coming from the pits with new tyres and I had gathered up quite a lot of tyre-wear up until this point so I was significantly slower, especially on the straights. But I managed to hold him for quite a while, just staying on my racing-line, trying not to make mistakes and not opening any doors for him. But eventually he still went past. And then there was my 1st pit stop which went awesomely well, holding the fire button wasn't necessary as the tyres were changed in like half a second. And off I was, to my 2nd stint.

Don't remember much from my 2nd stint.. I didn't have any threats from behind, was just trying to focus on my own racing. Had only a couple of mistakes, off-track moments when I went slightly to the sand.

3rd stint was fabulous as well. I remember having another fight with Eddie/Tijny, but this time it was a lot shorter and he rushed past with ease. Amazingly enough I still found a pinkish car in front of me in the last lap, thought it was someone I was lapping and was very careful not to crash into him. But it was Tijny, having crashed into a lapper himself (as I heard), so that was the reason. Had I known beforehand what I was dealing with, I could've maybe attacked, but nevertheless finishing 3rd was awesome! Very, very surprised and happy about it, so looking forward to the first official race!