[planning] TurboSliders.com F1 League 2011 Edition

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dede
Community User Level: 5

Post by dede » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 am

Del wrote:The point is that if you follow in very close proximity to the car in front you must be prepared to take evasive action. If you brake too late, go wide and abandon the corner, don't hit the car in front.
And again. This can happen between two skilled players. What happens if I brake too early and the car behind brakes 0.1s later, using normal braking points? I believe it's fair to allow small contacts in those cases, and we shouldn't punish those by putting more elasticity to car settings.
Evasive actions on high speeds require skills.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 am

dede wrote:
Del wrote:The point is that if you follow in very close proximity to the car in front you must be prepared to take evasive action. If you brake too late, go wide and abandon the corner, don't hit the car in front.
And again. This can happen between two skilled players. What happens if I brake too early and the car behind brakes 0.1s later, using normal braking points? I believe it's fair to allow small contacts in those cases, and we shouldn't punish those by putting more elasticity to car settings.
Evasive actions on high speeds require skills.
That is not a good example, you never brake too early. But suppose it would happen - hypothetically - with the old car you wouldn't even notice that someone hit you and you could drive on unaffected. I think that's stupid. The one great thing about battling with someone is the interaction; having to take your opponent's driving lines into account. I know it's not always possible to avoid hitting someone else, but it's not like I'm suggesting to use RDP bounciness - merely a value high enough to notice a collision.

Another thing, people getting stuck into obstacles. Even though most tracks are made so that it's very hard to crash, there are always people who do and with that low an elasticity setting there is a very reasonable chance of getting stuck for at least a few seconds.

dede

Post by dede » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:24 am

Tijny wrote:But suppose it would happen - hypothetically - with the old car you wouldn't even notice that someone hit you and you could drive on unaffected.
Well, "unaffected" not really. I drive to track limits, if you hit me I'll need to correct my line because of higher car speed. If we want more bounciness, we need to pay attention so that rough doesn't become too easy.

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:12 pm

More shameless advertising here but i beleive if I can make the race videos thing happen, every rough move will be called out, but I cannot stress enough I still need a co commentator!! Anyway, once people see themselves publically embarrased on the videos, they may think twice before making a rough move..

Mike Nike

Post by Mike Nike » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:03 pm

hehe, good one, shy...
an idea for the video: people could send .wav files to you, commenting some of their own scenes:
- overtakePlayerName.wav
- mistakePlayerName.wav (mistakes/lags etc.)
- startPlayerName.wav
- summaryPlayerName.wav (end / race resumée)
so, you can maybe add some interesting voice comments to the video and have less work to do...
on the other side, i could write a tool which autocuts the overtaking scenes from a video, but since i dont have so much time right now, that could be a job for tijny, maybe (?)

comments under the youtube video or here are nice and good and also "enough", but voice comments can still be a nice add :)

also, it might be nice to add parts of some race comments posted in this forum (deadline 1 or 2 days after the race or so)...
example:
pablinho writes after the race he practiced 100 laps and his laprecord for qualification simulation was a 44.532 starting the lap with 55% fuel[..]
so in the video, for qualification/grid review, this could be mentioned somehow, if it seems to be a nice information

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:47 pm

Yeah I completely agree.. if you mean to add the .wav files as a sort of "team radio" thing, that's a really good idea. But I still do need someone to back me up in the booth, as it feels weird talking to myself. It will probably take 4 days for a video to be created and another 1 day to commentate and upload, so I guess friday or saturday will be usually the time it is available to watch and thursday should be the deadline for race comments or your .wav file idea. But.. still a co-commentator is needed :)

GR8Arjen
Community User Level: 3

Post by GR8Arjen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:24 pm

I realy would love to help and do co- comentary with you shy, but I have a terrible comentary voice, and my dutch accent would just sound weird I gues. As said before, your voice is the best so it will be hard to top that. :)

We could give it a try though, just to see if there is some nice chemistry between us. If we fill in on eachother nicely, it could work I gues.

(Lol, I just read this back, and this sounds very bad haha) But you know what I mean. :)

GR8Arjen

Post by GR8Arjen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:37 pm

Del wrote:In F1 touching is usually avoided at all costs (Hamilton being the notable exception).
That's not the point. Ofcourse it would be best to have no touching at all. It is just hardly impossible to do it corner after corner. (even with highly skilled players) Punnishing touching harder would result in less battles, that is the point.
Del wrote:Why couldn't you have the same respect with a different car? Au contraire, some less respectfoul players could get a little more careful if they know it may end badly.
Less respectfull players will never be more careful. That's why we call them less respectfull players. Heck, they can do even more damage this way. By driving cars that are less forgiving, you basicly give them a better tool to ruin people's races.

Overall I say, bad idea.

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:28 am

I agree with everything, except changing the car and adopting the whole tyre thing. Just keep F1 as it is.

I like the car the way it is now. If you change it too much, it might be bad for new players (or even old ones) to get close to the pros, who will certainly learn faster. I took some time to get used to this car and I still can't beat the pros. I can't even think how much it will take to get closer again if settings are changed. So please don't change it haha. Also, I think close driving is great. It's great to battle with someone and not totally blow that person's race is you happen to touch his car. I think this car is as good as it gets for F1, really.

I don't like tyre damage. I think fuel is strategy enough already. To think of fuel AND tyres will take sometime. Most people don't calculate this kind of thing. They just want to race at full speed. I don't even like fuel too much but I think it's okay when it goes down slowly. Tyre damage is not welcomed, really. This is a simple game, not a simulator. No need to make it more strategy based than it is.

Bye

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Yes, you're right. I know it's only elasticity, but I just wanted to warn in case someone decides to change more things. I like it the way it is and that's all I really meant. Close driving is great, also.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:31 am

Del wrote:
misterpom wrote:Yes, you're right. I know it's only elasticity, but I just wanted to warn in case someone decides to change more things. I like it the way it is and that's all I really meant. Close driving is great, also.
Alright, but what about the newcomers who'll have to learn the car and will never catch up to you even if they're about as good as you with other cars? Why not redesign the car radically for each season? And you could still race closely and battle even with over 9000 elasticity.
Del, be cool.

dede

Post by dede » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:28 am

Ok, we ran a few tests with fuel & tyre wear and it seems interesting. Settings are not appropriate yet, since 2 stops were 10 seconds faster than 1 stop.
New tyres give about 2s/lap advantage, so basically cars are faster right after the pit even if fuel is high. When coming next to the pit with very worn tyres and low fuel, car will be slower than top times, so I think it's okaish.
If you make one pit more than other drivers your top times will be about 0.2/0.5 faster.

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 pm

dede wrote:Ok, we ran a few tests with fuel & tyre wear and it seems interesting. Settings are not appropriate yet, since 2 stops were 10 seconds faster than 1 stop.
New tyres give about 2s/lap advantage, so basically cars are faster right after the pit even if fuel is high. When coming next to the pit with very worn tyres and low fuel, car will be slower than top times, so I think it's okaish.
If you make one pit more than other drivers your top times will be about 0.2/0.5 faster.
Will 3 stop be possible at some races maybe? That would be awesome, and the closer we can get the total time of the three strategies the better

Obviously also remember not to take light TOO much of the total time, 2 stop must be a little bit faster than 1 stop to be succesful as you will surely have to work your way through more traffic to get to the desired pace.. same with 3 stop. Finding a pistop "gap" to drop into will be interesting..

dede

Post by dede » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:46 pm

shyguy1001 wrote:Will 3 stop be possible at some races maybe? That would be awesome, and the closer we can get the total time of the three strategies the better
Yeah, it would be awesome to have three strategies available and possibly not very different in totaltime. We'll see ;)

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Any news? I miss playing with you guys. Sunday without some F1 racing is not as fun. I wish I could help with unreleased tracks. Too bad I'm N00B TOTAL. :cry:

dede

Post by dede » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:25 pm

Biggest problem is that I didn't find time to test tyre wear settings so far. I got a clue of what should be done, but I need to repeat tests and adjust settings properly.

First test race could be on October 9th.. stay tuned!

pablinho15
Community User Level: 2
Community User Level: 2

Post by pablinho15 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:43 pm

You can change the engine sound?

The motor has gears.

ex: http://www.mediafire.com/?rlp9w1kz14k4rwt

I use this 2 years ago :)

pd: Another example is the sound of motor cars malta community

Byez

dede

Post by dede » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:28 am

I confirm that we will play a test race this sunday @ 21:00 CEST. Settings to be defined yet and track too. Server open @ 20:50 CEST.

Etmil

Post by Etmil » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 am

Wohoo!
PS. What is that in FIN/EST time? :P

edit: Ah, nevermind, probably just 22:00 then for me.