F1 League Pre-Qualifying Format

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Del
Community User Level: 2

Post by Del » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:02 am

GR8Arjen wrote:I don't have personal performance fears within my motivations.

My interests are only to protect the league, the weekly event, (atmosphere) and the training/introduction of new players.

Unlike others, I care about more then just myself.
We'll come back to these paragraphs.

On a second note:

I am not gifted with lot's of tallent, I am an average player that is able to be competative putting in lot's of training. It is my motivation that sometimes rewards me with good results. It's a very satisfying reward when if all works out and I make less mistakes. This is one of my key points of this system. It rewards motivated people over the unmotivated people, because it improves people's skills!
A player with lots of talent (dede, Tinjy, Jane, Nike, ...) will make it into the pro race even if they wank just 15 minutes per week. I'd say you're a lot better than average with the F1 but you still say you have to put in the time to get a good enough time in wanking. Not everyone has that time so naturally your chances of getting in are higher with the wanking system. Please check the first 3 paragraphs again.

It also improves the competition, because it makes people better.

Suggesting that people could also train offline to get better sounds fair, but is far from realistic. The competition the pre quali has build into, is the best way to motivate the players to become better, and it is a huge billboard advertising the league itself.
It can't be denied that wanking will increase your raw speed (until other cars come around at least..) but wanking a single track will mostly increase your knowledge of the track. You'll learn every single braking point by the pixel but what happens when the track changes? You'll have to learn every single braking point by the pixel again to be as fast. If every race is on a different track you'll learn a lot more about the car, making you able to drive tracks you've never seen better. As the races are held on unreleased tracks the multi-track racer will have an advantage over the wanker.

You could still have your F1 racing, F1 wanking, F1 XBumpz, F1 puna, etc. servers to advertise the league. Would it not motivate players that they have the chance to get into the pro race even without wanking 70 hours per week?

I don't want to bash, but I don't see any of the possitive points I mention happening in option 2
I don't want to bash but I think you're both blind and verry stupid and I can't see any of the positive points of option 1 happening... Do at least try to substantiate your claims.

GR8Arjen
Community User Level: 3

Post by GR8Arjen » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:51 am

We'll come back to these paragraphs.

??? You question my motivations?

A player with lots of talent (dede, Tinjy, Jane, Nike, ...) will make it into the pro race even if they wank just 15 minutes per week. I'd say you're a lot better than average with the F1 but you still say you have to put in the time to get a good enough time in wanking. Not everyone has that time so naturally your chances of getting in are higher with the wanking system. Please check the first 3 paragraphs again.

Thank you for seeing me as above average, but I need more time then others to get on speed. (like you said, Dede, Tijny, Janne, all just need 15 mins to get within the cut)

I spend 3 hours of serious wanking to get my time. I urge you to stop exaggerate your claims with your 70 hours!

There is no person in this league that comes close spends so much time into it, it is misleading!

I see lux now at 11th spot, I am sure there was no 70hours needed to archieve that. Only motivation is required to get a good time, and that is exactly my point!

It can't be denied that wanking will increase your raw speed (until other cars come around at least..)

Thanks for confirming, it is one of my key points.

but wanking a single track will mostly increase your knowledge of the track. You'll learn every single braking point by the pixel but what happens when the track changes? You'll have to learn every single braking point by the pixel again to be as fast. If every race is on a different track you'll learn a lot more about the car, making you able to drive tracks you've never seen better. As the races are held on unreleased tracks the multi-track racer will have an advantage over the wanker.

It will learn you a lot more. Players will learn much more how lines work, (slow in fast out on corners) Taking a wide line at the last corner to get more speed on the straight for next lap, stuff like that. They will learn and on new tracks will recognise simular corners. They will also be able to judge better the other corners speeds on the new tracks,
It is an experience thing, and the server now increases players experience evey minute.

I don't want to bash but I think you're both blind and verry stupid and I can't see any of the positive points of option 1 happening... Do at least try to substantiate your claims.

Check my last post again

The only point you every time come up with is time consumption,
It is easyly to ignore such point because I see it as lack of motivation.
Get 3 hours devided over a full week of 168 hours, and you will be in the top ten, and prooved yourself as a motivated player.I am sure you are able to pull it off.

Also, you totaly ignore my points about: The atmosphere during the wanking, but more important... the final moments of the wanking.
(Read back my experiences about that in earlyer replies. )

You can't deny that those final moments of wanking are cool when the deadline is less then 30 mins remaining. This is a exciting period to experience as a contestant, or as a spectator. ;)

Del

Post by Del » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:37 am

GR8Arjen wrote:??? You question my motivations?
Yes.

Thank you for seeing me as above average, but I need more time then others to get on speed. (like you said, Dede, Tijny, Janne, all just need 15 mins to get within the cut)
Or you need more time to get a lucky lap (or 3) that will get you into the pro race. Every minute you wank more than someone else will increase your chances of getting in over them.

I spend 3 hours of serious wanking to get my time. I urge you to stop exaggerate your claims with your 70 hours!

There is no person in this league that comes close spends so much time into it, it is misleading!

I see lux now at 11th spot, I am sure there was no 70hours needed to archieve that. Only motivation is required to get a good time, and that is exactly my point!
Wippe has previously suggested that he could wank 70 hours a week so I'll just use that as an exaggerated measure thank you very much. Also.. What is motivation with a thing like this? If I'm REALLY VERY SUPERMOTIVATED can I drive 3 consecutive 37.0xx laps? No. If I'm REALLY VERY SUPERMOTIVATED TO WANK 70 hours I may just get into the top15. By your definition motivation is the time you can put into wanking. You fail to take into account that some people have have work, kids, exams, whatever.

It can't be denied that wanking will increase your raw speed (until other cars come around at least..)
Thanks for confirming, it is one of my key points.
Carefully picking out that one admission before my well-proven argument to the contrary. Nice.

It will learn you a lot more. Players will learn much more how lines work, (slow in fast out on corners) Taking a wide line at the last corner to get more speed on the straight for next lap, stuff like that. They will learn and on new tracks will recognise simular corners. They will also be able to judge better the other corners speeds on the new tracks,
It is an experience thing, and the server now increases players experience evey minute.
[b]The point of having multiple tracks is that they're all different. With multiple tracks you actually learn to drive the car, not the track. If you've achieved 90% of your potential on 10 tracks you'll be a lot better prepared for an unreleased than if you've achieved 100% potential on 1 track and 75% on the 9 others. More tracks, more variety, more learning of the car. I really can't see how you think you can argue against that.

The only point you every time come up with is time consumption,
It is easyly to ignore such point because I see it as lack of motivation.
Get 3 hours devided over a full week of 168 hours, and you will be in the top ten, and prooved yourself as a motivated player.I am sure you are able to pull it off.
[b]Oh I wish I had 168 free hours per week... IMO wanking is boring and I know I'm not alone in thinking so. There's a reason you actually have a race at the end of the week instead of the results being decided by wanking results.

Also, you totaly ignore my points about: The atmosphere during the wanking, but more important... the final moments of the wanking.
(Read back my experiences about that in earlyer replies. )

You can't deny that those final moments of wanking are cool when the deadline is less then 30 mins remaining. This is a exciting period to experience as a contestant, or as a spectator. ;)
Wouldn't it be even more tense if you had to get a good overall time over 8/10 laps and everyone would be in danger of not making it?

shyguy1001
Community User Level: 5

Post by shyguy1001 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:47 pm

I say option 2, but the top 10 in points need to have a locked in spot into the pro race. What if Dede suffers disconnection, can't race the pro race? Would be ridiculous. Having said that, Dede isn't top 10 in points at the moment :P

pablinho15

Post by pablinho15 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:15 am

choose option 2 because option 1 is very wanker.

mjay
Community User Level: 1

Post by mjay » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:19 pm

i like 1 because 1 lap fastest gave rookies no chance to get in the pro race but it still may not because they may run 1 good lap like a 37.9 at xiolo but two laps over 38.6 and be way down on average so i think this needs fixing but it is best right now try 2 lap best
fresh to death #YOLO

Lanz
Community User Level: 4

Post by Lanz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14 pm

sure 2nd option is the most fairest way for this kind of competition! still i think that for the game and the F1 community itself option 1 would be better! there is actually nobody playing F1 thru out the year, at least not much people, thats why i hoped that we keep the old system! 10 weeks with some active server, thats what im dreaming about! we could achieve that! kind of shitty that fc is the most active server during such a competition! these are not some personal thoughts, i already achieved more that i ever hoped, still im not very glad how this format is going! also i think that we dont need unreleased tracks for it, sure its a good thing, but making tracks requires some time! its not a good and necessary thing that this kind of cup is dependent on new tracks! there are so many good tracks existing who never saw such kind of racing! we have lots of F1 tracks but no reason to make new ones if nobody is playing! T is for sure the best trackmaker around and sure all of his tracks are very suitable, still the whole league is depending on him! wich cant be a good thing, for us and for him! i would like to see 2 leagues in 1 year, like it was! that would be possible if we keep 1 with released tracks! i would do everthing needed to help out, hope you guys know that! so just ask if you dont have time to do things like posting standings on forums tournament site etc.!
also it would be possible to combine the league how it is now with some other format, maybe WW or my last idea 10 races in gpor style! we wouldnt even had to change the server, just restarting! the problem is that we dont attract new players! wich isnt good! we see that this game is held by addicted people and it would be a shame if we would loose the last guys from the F1 community wich already are only a few people! thats my fear when the F1 league is over! hope i found some ears! :P

Del

Post by Del » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:01 am

The fact of the matter is that FC and puna are the more popular choices for mid-week players. You can't really argue with that since the F1 racing server has been empty every time I've looked for the past week. Effectively forcing (non-100%-sure-to-qualify) people to wank F1 to get into the pro race, which they probably don't prefer over FC/puna as evidenced by server activity, can't IMO be good for the community. There is a dedicated F1 racing server (which is more relevant to the league than wanking). Why have I never seen you there? You know people are much more likely to join a 1/x or 2/x server than 0/x.

I prefer unreleased tracks so there's always something fresh and everyone really does start on equal ground. I understand that it's tough on the makers (mostly Tinjy?) so maybe it'll have to be scrapped.

Attracting new players... The people signed up to this season who didn't participate last season (apologies if I missed someone or added someone who did): Drago, xzeal(?), ptSpyder, PAOLO, Furion, Wokinger, Augusto, Hazard, Kuite, Pelbel, Szymek, isaak, mjay, Danny, AIR GIGI. That is quite a list though not all of them are new players (and some probably did race last season). But there are a lot more new players who played during the week and a bit with the F1 wank server up. Even then they weren't sufficiently interested to sign up to the forums and join the league. You won't be able to force-feed them F1 (wanking) when they're 99.997% sure not to qualify (as most new players are).

IMO the best way to embiggen the "F1 community" (The TS community is small enough. Do we really to have to divide it into smaller parts?) could be something like the Fun Races (but more GPOR-like in length). You have a weekly event, say Thursday 20-21 CET, when there are a few people on the F1 racing server and hope that new players will go "Hmm F1 with 9/20 players. I'll go check that out". Getting 20 new players to drive 1-5 laps with the F1 as in weekly wank is quite different from getting 5 new active players who may even go to the F1 racing server when it's empty.

lux2

Post by lux2 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:21 am

Lanz wrote:10 weeks with some active server, thats what im dreaming about! we could achieve that!

The best thing you can do is join the f1 racing server and wait for somebody else. People go where people are.
I'm not a FC lover, and I'm also not a F1 lover but I play most of my time in those servers.
Populated server with a shit thing are more attractive than a nice server with no people.
Yesterday I played some good sliding races with olio and del on the slide shack server, but we were only three...

Forcing people to wank, only beacause they have to qualify, can only lead them to get bored and sick and, sooner or later, to quit with F1 (and maybe with TS).
For sure, without the new "no-wanking rules" the first race would have been the last one for me. I was already sick.

So, if you want/hope people play F1... you have to join the F1 racing server to hope other people follow you.

You can also try to announce some "F1 happy hour" like Arjen did in th past.
Every day at 21CET, a cup of 10 races with F1. Why not? I'll be there for sure (if there will be more than 2 other players!).

Now I said this, it's possible I'll not race tomorrow because I'm not sure to be at home in time. Probably I'll be but I can't be sure.

Lanz

Post by Lanz » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:43 am

Del wrote:Why have I never seen you there?

because im working and ill have a life, you want to blame me for that?
like i said this is not an personal opinion, im not forcing people to wank! also im no fan of ghost races! im not trying to do some things wich are good for me, but for the f1 community! i tried a lot to bring back some life to f1! so what you did apart from knowing anytime everthing better?

Del

Post by Del » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:45 am

Lanz wrote:
Del wrote:Why have I never seen you there?
because im working and ill have a life, you want to blame me for that?
like i said this is not an personal opinion, im not forcing people to wank! also im no fan of ghost races! im not trying to do some things wich are good for me, but for the f1 community! i tried a lot to bring back some life to f1! so what you did apart from knowing anytime everthing better?
And a lot of other people have lives too which is why I thought wanking pre-quali is a bad idea. That was not meant as an accusation. It's just that you can't really expect F1 to be popular if there's no one to be the first and second player on the server. As F1 just isn't as popular as it used to be (evidenced by lack of action on the racing server) I really can't see why effectively forcing people to wank with it (to qualify for pro race) is good for the whole TS community. What's bad for the small TS community is probably bad for the "F1 community". I'm trying to do what I think is good for the whole community and the league.

GR8Arjen

Post by GR8Arjen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Nonsens.

I wanked like 6 times last week, and all the time I was playing in groups of 5-9 players.

------

The reason why people don't like the current race server is simple. FUEL!

Fuel is nice for long races, not for these kind of short races.

Turn off the fuel and you will see much more action in that server I am 100% sure!

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:02 pm

GR8Arjen wrote:Turn off the fuel and you will see much more action in that server I am 100% sure!
Done.

Let's see how that will work out.

GR8Arjen

Post by GR8Arjen » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Nice!

To bad I am not around lately to see if it draws more people, but I realy think it will.

In a couple of days I will be around there though.

I need tracktime :)

[gasp]poppowitch

OMG

Post by [gasp]poppowitch » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:13 pm

i think the first opinion is the betterone!

theres nobody playing!
if we continue like this we dont need anymore a qualy for the pro race, because there are not enuff players...

most important thing here is, that we win some new players... its also a nice publicity for the F1 League!!!
i think the goal must be to fill 2 servers!
if someone dont qualy for pro race , theres allways the possibilty to win the rookierace... wuts not realy difficult!

i know, mabye its more work for dede...

fuel or not doesnt change anything!
and if it takes to many time to wank, i think we shut wank only for one fastest lap!

Thats no fun, reading hole day posts from crying Babys!!
F1 is dying!!

Del

Re: OMG

Post by Del » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:46 pm

[gasp]poppowitch wrote:i think the first opinion is the betterone!

theres nobody playing!
if we continue like this we dont need anymore a qualy for the pro race, because there are not enuff players...

most important thing here is, that we win some new players... its also a nice publicity for the F1 League!!!
i think the goal must be to fill 2 servers!
if someone dont qualy for pro race , theres allways the possibilty to win the rookierace... wuts not realy difficult!

i know, mabye its more work for dede...

fuel or not doesnt change anything!
and if it takes to many time to wank, i think we shut wank only for one fastest lap!

Thats no fun, reading hole day posts from crying Babys!!
F1 is dying!!

Maybe that's why there were 2 more people in race #2 than race #1? Jan's signed up too. And last race had a few no-shows because of unfortunate circumstances (Arjen and Kyna (military service)).

The F1 racing server is there for publicity. Nobody playing? F1 isn't very popular? Should we force it to become popular even if the players don't want it?

Care to elaborate on this?:
<[gasp]poppowitc> if we have the qualy how we have it now i think there needs more luck to quly

[gasp]poppowitch

Post by [gasp]poppowitch » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:00 pm

YEs Del MORON!! i think ur only aganst because ur not able to qualy for prorace!!

Damn noob!