Race Of Champions tournament

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Augusto
Community User Level: 1

Race Of Champions tournament

Post by Augusto » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:54 am

I was thinking about organizing a Race of Champions tournament...

basically the idea was to have 32 players (or maybe 64 if we can) and make like knockout stage... i thought about making 5 races each "match" (one with each default car) or maybe with another car like TSB-F2

i made this RoC track (we can play this one or any track you like)

For selecting the players i thought in a qualy stage ..
but i dont know, tell me if you think of another way to do it...

also we have to decide how the matches will be arranged, i mean who will play against who..

well.. tell me what you think about this

PS: I dont know if i will be capable to organize it on my own.. so ill surely need help

COMMENT PLEASE :D

shyguy1001
Community User Level: 5

Post by shyguy1001 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:58 am

Yup, I loved the F1 SL ROC I raced in not too long ago, and was saying there should be one with the default cars. 5 races each would be a bit too much. Stick with best of 3 I guess ;) And random default cars. Also, getting 32 players is unlikely total. I would host it in just one day over lots of different servers, otherwise people might not show up for matches etc.

JonnO
Community User Level: 2

Post by JonnO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 am

RoC is awesome, I'm definitely up for this, great idea! :idea: 8)

Wokinger
Community User Level: 3

Post by Wokinger » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:24 pm

There is not SLRoC final version, but it can be tested in mod_f1sl09alpha3b. Size is not more than 2000px, so it can be run without mod. It needs only some modifications.

Of course RoC is total great idea!

Mike Nike

Post by Mike Nike » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:17 pm

i like that kind of tournament.
i hosted a ko cup in other game, already a year ago...
seedings were done based on basic skills multiplied with a random factor, so that basicly good players would meet in late stage of the tourney.
plus, it was a double elimination system (with losers bracket), so each player could play at least 2 matches.

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Yeah, probably won't get 32... And 5 races in each stage would take ages. We discussed a RoC-thingy almost exactly a year ago here. Tijny also made a nice new car for it which has never been used for anything though it's much bigger than default cars so there'd probably have to be x other RoC cars. Also I think the lines on the track could be very distracting if your track is used. Random seeding with double elimination for odd player numbers or if you get close to 32 some could get byes to the second round (and obviously get a practice session similar to races). It would probably be best to do it in a single session or 2 (getting a large number of people to agree on scheduling is known to be next to impossible) but that could take a while...

Augusto

Post by Augusto » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:17 pm

it was a double elimination system (with losers bracket), so each player could play at least 2 matches.
a double elimination tournamente is a great idea! but it is a little more complicated than a single elimination... of course it can be done but i will need help :)
seedings were done based on basic skills multiplied with a random factor

i dont understand how can you measure "basic skills" to multiply it by a factor

i was thinking of a qualy stage and then arrange the players similar to this acording to their positions in qualy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_(sports)
I would host it in just one day over lots of different servers, otherwise people might not show up for matches etc.
great idea! can you help with this? .. im not very good in running servers.. of course i can learn but i have a lot to study in these weeks :S[/quote]

Yeah, probably won't get 32
Also, getting 32 players is unlikely total
do you really think its so dificult to get 32 players?... i hope we can get 32 because i dont know how to make the tournament if ammount of players is not power of 2 :P

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Augusto wrote:
seedings were done based on basic skills multiplied with a random factor

i dont understand how can you measure "basic skills" to multiply it by a factor
Mike is German so he needs everything to be quantifiable and tabled.
Augusto wrote:do you really think its so dificult to get 32 players?... i hope we can get 32 because i dont know how to make the tournament if ammount of players is not power of 2 :P
Yes. Some of the recent punaball tournaments have had trouble getting 16 players. You can make a bracket system work with odd numbers of players (though there will be some byes) (linky) or you could have a group system where everyone drives everyone once or twice and the top x of the group qualify on to a knockout stage with sudden-death qualifying for those who finished x+1 in their group if you don't have a suitable number of groups. But that could be very confusing.

pablinho15

Post by pablinho15 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:11 pm

DEFAULT CAR's - RANDOM CAR.

Adioz

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:38 pm

Wokinger wrote:Image

There is not SLRoC final version, but it can be tested in mod_f1sl09alpha3b. Size is not more than 2000px, so it can be run without mod. It needs only some modifications.

Of course RoC is total great idea!
This was an awesome cup! ;) Best non-racing tournament I played :)

Jan

Post by Jan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:27 am

I'll play if it's with default cars. :wink: Double elimination sounds good so you don't get knocked out straight away if you have to race against Tijny. :D

Augusto

Post by Augusto » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 am

well..the tournament will be double elimination and with default cars.. still have to decide how many races per "match" (maybe best of 3 or best of 5)
For qualifying i thought of running a server for a whole week maybe and make a ranking adding the best times of each player with each default car (obviously in the same track of the tournament that still needs to be decided)

i've made a spreadsheet which will make everithing a little easier

here is the link Tournament Brackets and Players List

all the drivers that want to participate comment on this post so we know how many are we (if someone's name is not in the spreadsheet, tell me)
Last edited by Augusto on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Best of 3, for sure.. of 5 would get boring total.

Respekt

Post by Respekt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Brilliant idea I'd be in for sure. If you need a server to host it, talk to whoa maybe he'd be willing to let you use the xS server.

szymek66

Post by szymek66 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:47 pm

Great idea, of course i'm in. I must take revenge on Shyguy :D

JonnO

Post by JonnO » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Well i'm definitely in for this!

pablinho15

Post by pablinho15 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:11 pm

@Dede;

dede

Post by dede » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 pm

pablinho15 wrote:@Dede;
Don't worry, I'm reading and possibly playing, but I'm not up for the organization. I learnt from PB cups that playing&hosting this kind of competitions isn't a good idea because of stress.

Augusto

Post by Augusto » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:05 am

dede wrote: Don't worry, I'm reading and possibly playing, but I'm not up for the organization. I learnt from PB cups that playing&hosting this kind of competitions isn't a good idea because of stress.
you are rigth, organizing this will be very stressful... i will add you to the list so i can se how many people are playing and maybe start next week after the final race of F1 League

dont worry about the organization ill try to do as much as i can on my own :)
(obviously any help from anyone will be welcome ;) )

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:51 am

Talk to Wokinger, and Szymek, like I said they hosted a very enjoyable ROC competetion.

dede

Post by dede » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Augusto wrote:(obviously any help from anyone will be welcome ;) )
I don't know how many servers you need for this. At the moment we have these good servers available:

LVP 1, LVP 2, LVP 3, F1-PRO, F1-ROOKIE

Additionally we can use the old Polish Community Server (max 2 servers), although performances aren't as good as the ones mentioned above.

I suggest to use source files to configure the server with ease. I can actually help with the configuration of source files, but I don't want to be the main organizer/server admin for once.

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:10 pm

Count me in. (If it's hosted on reasonable times)

Augusto

Post by Augusto » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:10 pm

dede wrote:
Augusto wrote:(obviously any help from anyone will be welcome ;) )
I don't know how many servers you need for this. At the moment we have these good servers available:

LVP 1, LVP 2, LVP 3, F1-PRO, F1-ROOKIE

Additionally we can use the old Polish Community Server (max 2 servers), although performances aren't as good as the ones mentioned above.

I suggest to use source files to configure the server with ease. I can actually help with the configuration of source files, but I don't want to be the main organizer/server admin for once.
wll, lets supose that a miracle happens and we get 32 players, then we'll need at least 4 servers to host the whole tournament in only one day in 1h and a half (suposing each match takes 5 minutes). Also i thought about having 2 aditional servers to be use as "waiting servers" where players can play there while they wait until next race and this way nobody will be late :D

For the qualifying stage there will be needed a full time server to be online for about 2 weeks (mainly to convince more people to join the tournament). This server will get the best lap times of each player with each car, add them and then make a ranking which will be used for seeding. It will be great if you can help with this "qualy server" as i have no idea of how to make that ranking :D

About being admin of the tournament server, i can be admin in one, hazard also and we will need two more people :)

Again, any kind of help from anyone will be welcome :P

dede

Post by dede » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Augusto wrote:This server will get the best lap times of each player with each car, add them and then make a ranking which will be used for seeding.
Not sure if we have something like this yet.. Btw, how would seedings work?

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Augusto wrote:wll, lets supose that a miracle happens and we get 32 players, then we'll need at least 4 servers to host the whole tournament in only one day in 1h and a half (suposing each match takes 5 minutes).
A more realistic estimate would be 2.5-3h if you really think you really can do it in that time.
Augusto wrote:this way nobody will be late :D
Wrong..

And I still don't think the qualifying/seeding system is necessary (yes, I don't like wanking but I still can't really see the point especially if you go with double elimination).