TurboSliders.com F1 League 2012 Edition

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kapa112
Community User Level: 1

Post by kapa112 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:30 pm

In

Etmil
Community User Level: 3

Post by Etmil » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 am

Ok, dede: is this some kind of a joke? Were you seriously offended by that 'f*** disappoint' statement? I don't see any other possible reasons for this other than that.. or you just being silly. 40th in the list? Would you please explain to me what I've done wrong so I can perhaps say I'm sorry and do better next time (I'm just totally clueless here and at my wits end)? I mean really.. what's the matter? Please, speak up - thanks.

:?

dede
Community User Level: 5

Post by dede » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:39 am

Etmil wrote:Ok, dede: is this some kind of a joke? Were you seriously offended by that 'f*** disappoint' statement? I don't see any other possible reasons for this other than that.. or you just being silly. 40th in the list? Would you please explain to me what I've done wrong so I can perhaps say I'm sorry and do better next time (I'm just totally clueless here and at my wits end)? I mean really.. what's the matter? Please, speak up - thanks.

:?
Haha! Actually I forgot to put you on the list, so you complained and as a joke I put you in last position. Don't worry, you are in! :)

Delux

Post by Delux » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 am

I'm In

Hevonen
Community User Level: 2

Post by Hevonen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:34 am

Lol :D

Wokinger

Post by Wokinger » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:37 am

My suggestion (2 options, a > b):
a) fuel system like in F1
b) fuel only in race

about quali:
If we didn't have fuel, we could drive less laps, maybe only 2 (only 1 counted). It would make quali less predictable, what is better for race (more battles).

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:29 pm

I like F1 quali, hate F1SL quali, please, don't reduce the amount of laps :D

However, might be nice to have no refuelling, only tyre strategy.. although I think refuelling + tyres made for unpredictable strategy in the last season and so exciting races.
www.youtube.com/sliderstv <---- Best Turbosliders Videos ever made ;)

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Wokinger wrote:My suggestion (2 options, a > b):
b) fuel only in race

about quali:
If we didn't have fuel, we could drive less laps, maybe only 2 (only 1 counted). It would make quali less predictable, what is better for race (more battles).
Yea and bring in some Polish councils :lol: :lol: :lol:

(To enforce the ambigous rules)

the rules in this league are way better and clear though

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:02 am

Is it still not decided if there will be teams or not?

I remember we once made rough ranking on player skill. I actually liked this pretty much. But maybe we could change it in such a way that the team size is not fixed but every player is worth an X amount of points and the maximum number of points a team can be worth is 25.

So for example:

Dede - 10
Tijny - 10
Mike Nike - 9
Pablinho -8
Lanz -8
Matic - 7
Hevonen - 7
Shyguy - 0

Or would this be to much work.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 am

Pingu wrote:Is it still not decided if there will be teams or not?

I remember we once made rough ranking on player skill. I actually liked this pretty much. But maybe we could change it in such a way that the team size is not fixed but every player is worth an X amount of points and the maximum number of points a team can be worth is 25.

So for example:
[...]

Shouldn't it be more like this though?

dede 20
Tijny 5½
Pablinho 5½
Mike Nike 5½
Lanz 5½
Pingu 5
Shyguy 5
Etmil 5

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 am

Probably yes :lol: It was just for illustration purposes 8)

Etmil

Post by Etmil » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:09 am

Tijny wrote:Shouldn't it be more like this though?

dede 20
Tijny 5½
Pablinho 5½
Mike Nike 5½
Lanz 5½
Pingu 5
Shyguy 5
Etmil 5
Pretty much.
:D

dede

Post by dede » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:48 am

Pingu wrote:I remember we once made rough ranking on player skill.
That was made because we had released tracks and we wanted balanced teams. The whole idea behind it was that top players should've trained with rookies - and this pretty much worked.

The side effect of this team organization is that players not picked in "top teams" are forced to drive with other random players, so there will never be team spirit or training between them.

But anyway, we can do it the way you like the most!
Wokinger wrote: My suggestion (2 options, a > b):
b) fuel only in race

about quali:
a) Full tank & no refueling? I don't know, I kind of like to have some cars faster than others because of different strategy. I know that this can be obtained with tyre wear as well, but more variables = more fun?

b) I like to play with fuel in quali (obviously linked to race startfuel) because it can give the possibility to slower players to start from front rows by picking different fuel strategy

In my opinion starting grid shouldn't be too random and we should reduce the "mistake" effect, so that e.g. Tijny won't start last if he crashes one lap. Imagine him starting from last row, being 3s/lap faster than the 19th - in race there might be big troubles of unwanted pushes.
But, in the other hand, it's nice seeing Tijny starting 8th because of 1 pit strategy while others on the front are on 3 stops!

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Pingu wrote:Is it still not decided if there will be teams or not?

So for example:

Dede - 10
Tijny - 10
Mike Nike - 9
Pablinho -8
Lanz -8
Matic - 7
Hevonen - 7
Shyguy - 0

Hey! How many podiums do YOU have? :P

Mike Nike

Post by Mike Nike » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 pm

well, if there are teams, i kinda like the idea of balanced teams...and my suggestion would be to just take the last f1 seasons pts...or av pts of top9 races times the amount of approx. races the driver will drive..
because if driver x, lets call him pablinho, already knows he can take part at only 3 races or so, he aint be helping the team pts that much in the end.

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Ok, so me, JonnO and Sam got together and thought of a few ideas. However this would require co-operation from everyone.

Our first thing to cut time would be removing most graphics. This would reduce the quality of the videos unfortunately BUT its either that or no video. To get around this problem, we thought of this solution: constantly leaving up the in game timing (as in the full list) and if everyone was required to use ONLY their 3 letter acronym when racing in the F1 League (i.e SHY, PAB, DED, EDD, PIN). Like I say, this would require Dede to make that a rule and everyone to co-operate and obey it.

This would not be enough.. I need to massively cut the time recording and finding the right times take. So we came up with this idea - a pre-recording commentary. First off, I would watch the recording of the race back, re-recording it while typing every time when someone enters pitlane. Then, I would distribute this recording to my pre-recording team, and we would watch the race through, fully zoomed out, creating an audio track where we document what is going on where on the track. Then I could create an actual recording in just a few takes (or even one take in a perfect world), playing that audio file 20 seconds ahead giving me time to switch between players and land on the right one in time to see the event.

Tijny is the expert on TSR files - is there anything else I can do to make my job easier? Is it possible to change the order in which the camera switches between players? Is it possible to change a players name in a TSR file?

If anyone has any extra time saving ideas or any other ideas to make the videos better, please, tell me!

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:54 pm

shyguy1001 wrote:Is it possible to change the order in which the camera switches between players?
This is not possible. However, there might be a few ways to mimic this behavior. Something like AutoHotKey comes to mind, but I don't have much experience with that - I'd have to dig a bit deeper into it.
shyguy1001 wrote:Is it possible to change a players name in a TSR file?
This is possible, if you find some program that can modify .tar.gz files (7-zip is one of the more well-known ones) and a Hex editor (I'd recommend Notepad++'s Hex plugin). Extract the .tsr file, open the result in your Hex editor, look for the section with the player names (it's somewhere near the beginning) and edit it. Every player name is zero-padded to 17 bytes, so just replace the excess characters with zeros. Save it, create a .tar.gz archive with the file you edited (like explained here) and finally, change the file extension to .tsr.

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Nice idea about autohotkey!! That could make things much better...

And ok, nice, but it would be easier for stupid me if everybody just used their 3 letter acronym, then I would only have to change the names of any idjits who didnt bother (although easier way to make them bother would be to make them do it).

lux2

Post by lux2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Dede, please sign me in.
I'll show up in the wet races if there will be any and if you will inform me in advance enough.

JonnO

Post by JonnO » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Tijny wrote:This is possible, if you find some program that can modify .tar.gz files (7-zip is one of the more well-known ones) and a Hex editor (I'd recommend Notepad++'s Hex plugin). Extract the .tsr file, open the result in your Hex editor, look for the section with the player names (it's somewhere near the beginning) and edit it. Every player name is zero-padded to 17 bytes, so just replace the excess characters with zeros. Save it, create a .tar.gz archive with the file you edited and finally, change the file extension to .tsr.
Well, doing Computing at uni, I'l probably understand this more than Shygay, so I'l have a bash at this when I have time :) Would be cooler if we could all use usual names in game tbh!

dede

Post by dede » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:37 pm

shyguy1001 wrote:Our first thing to cut time would be removing most graphics. This would reduce the quality of the videos unfortunately BUT its either that or no video. To get around this problem, we thought of this solution: constantly leaving up the in game timing (as in the full list) and if everyone was required to use ONLY their 3 letter acronym when racing in the F1 League (i.e SHY, PAB, DED, EDD, PIN). Like I say, this would require Dede to make that a rule and everyone to co-operate and obey it.
I did not understand this. Why?? What's the advantage?

xios

Post by xios » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:43 pm

In!

- ziossi

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:49 pm

dede wrote:
shyguy1001 wrote:Our first thing to cut time would be removing most graphics. This would reduce the quality of the videos unfortunately BUT its either that or no video. To get around this problem, we thought of this solution: constantly leaving up the in game timing (as in the full list) and if everyone was required to use ONLY their 3 letter acronym when racing in the F1 League (i.e SHY, PAB, DED, EDD, PIN). Like I say, this would require Dede to make that a rule and everyone to co-operate and obey it.
Easier to read, neater, won't cover much of the screen. It's not a problem I guess if JonnO can help me out on renaming on the replay files anyway.

Simmser696

Post by Simmser696 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:30 am

Count me In although the possibilities of me making it into the pro race are about as high as me winning a SCARTS race. :P

UKOGSam

Post by UKOGSam » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:31 pm

shyguy1001 wrote:
dede wrote:
Easier to read, neater, won't cover much of the screen. It's not a problem I guess if JonnO can help me out on renaming on the replay files anyway.
Wouldn't make any difference to my name UEAUHEUAHEUHA.
I think it would be easier if Jonno simply changes the names as surely with 20+ people you will get some kind of ShygayJr who won't do it and will ask "why" about 1000 times when told to do so.