TurboSliders.com F1 League 2012 Edition

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

[gasp]poppowitch
Community User Level: 1

Post by [gasp]poppowitch » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Im IN boyzzz!!!

Kyna_musti

ola

Post by Kyna_musti » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:18 pm

In

JonnO
Community User Level: 2

Post by JonnO » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:44 pm

Wow 5 more players and we're at 40 players! Epic 8)

stummihouse

Post by stummihouse » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:37 pm

I would like to sign in :D

dede
Community User Level: 5

Post by dede » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Little reminder for tonight's test race. We are starting at 20:00 CET - meaning in 1h and 20m from now!

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Was a nice test race, was kinda pitty though that I drove most of the race alone :( . First lap I had some touches with other cars have to look back how it really went but didnt think it was to sever.

Epic overtake on Shyguy was highlight of the race. If he could hold me up for that one lap, he would prob beat me in the race :lol:

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:19 pm

In order to get more players I suggest released tracks with weekly wanking. :P
Btw, test race was fun. I ll have to play with SDL and low resolution with pixeleted car since I got disconnections during the wormup cause screen was freezing in some moments.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:33 pm

I mostly drove my race alone too, until in the last stint I got stuck behind dede for some laps. My car was much faster than his, but eventually after a couple of failed attempts I tricked my way past him. We totes want SlidersTV commentary on that move!

Hevonen

Post by Hevonen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:42 pm

reis vas kuud and i kot niu frends :D

Mike Nike

Post by Mike Nike » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:43 pm

hehe, had to change res from 1680x1050 0.9 to 1280x800 0.8 zoom, so the font wouldnt be so tiny...
still, the time i took for calculating fuel stuff was..eh...5 laps in stint 1 and half of stint 2 or more...plenty mistakes involved due to less concentration, few deep sand cuts, losing some energy here and there..kinda ugly.

plus, driving 100 percent with finger on acceleration key with now even only 60 percent idle consumption costs me probably +-2 sec (didnt calculated yet) per race instead of the usual 1.5 or so. i wished idle cons. would be 100 percent like in f1sl :P

Etmil
Community User Level: 3

Post by Etmil » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Good race, mostly.. first stint awful though. I haven't watched the replay yet but some very impolite overtaking moves there in my very humble opinion. Please enforce more strict rules and punishments.. some people just won't give way after ruoghing other totes into a bad line or completely off the track.

Augusto

Post by Augusto » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Etmil wrote:Good race, mostly.. first stint awful though. I haven't watched the replay yet but some very impolite overtaking moves there in my very humble opinion. Please enforce more strict rules and punishments.. some people just won't give way after ruoghing other totes into a bad line or completely off the track.
surely you say it for me... i know i hit you a couple of time.. but in my defense i have to say that it wasnt my intention.. i had lot of lag and i couldnt see where your car was and i couldnt avoid hitting you (added to that, is the fact that im a horrible driver). well i apologize for my "impolite" moves.. i ll try to be more careful. About the race it was good but i had to abandon because of lag problems

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Whiplash wrote:In order to get more players I suggest released tracks with weekly wanking. :P
Btw, test race was fun. I ll have to play with SDL and low resolution with pixeleted car since I got disconnections during the wormup cause screen was freezing in some moments.
noo noo noo, this wouldn't bring more payers you say this because you want this :p.

The nice thing for this is that you dont have to practice all week to be competitive during the upcoming race, you can just join in and have fun.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 am

Ok, so I disassembled the server's executable and changed how the fuel consumption code works to give Mike a helping hand (and to learn some more about reverse engineering), accelerating and braking simultaneously will count as idle now. I felt this was a bug in the game, because accelerating has no effect whatsoever when you have the brake button pressed as well. I know some of you (wippe) will say "hey, that isn't how it works in real cars!!!" but that's exactly the point - flooring the accelerator while braking will actually do something there, unlike in the game. Mike shouldn't be penalized just because he has a weird driving style.

Anything to increase dede's chances to lose, even if it's only by 0.4673%.

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21 am

Noo this is really bad for me lol, I always release throttle key.. I just cant get used to driving while always having throttle pressed. I prob loose small amounts of time every corner because of the key swopping... while if you hit brake during accelerating you will insta brake and when you release it you will throtlle without loosing time.

I cant learn different driving style aargh!

dede

Post by dede » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:25 am

WTF RULLE CHANGE??? Last year you changed the server executable so that it disconnected me in every race, now you hacked Mike Nike's car to lower fuel consumption..

Anyway, League will start on November 4th, next Sunday we'll drive another test race to test my speed. If we have enough players I'll set up two races, otherwise just the pro race.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Pingu wrote:Noo this is really bad for me lol, I always release throttle key.. I just cant get used to driving while always having throttle pressed. I prob loose small amounts of time every corner because of the key swopping... while if you hit brake during accelerating you will insta brake and when you release it you will throtlle without loosing time.

I'm just wondering, how the f*** did you interpret my message in such a way that you think you have to change your driving style? You're saying yourself that Mike's style is harder to get used to, so shouldn't it be an advantage (a very small one at that) to him that he masters this technique instead of a huge disadvantage?

Mike Nike

Post by Mike Nike » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Pingu wrote:I cant learn different driving style aargh!
hehe, thats how i felt the last season(s) with fuel and idle consumption <100% lol

in some tracks i rly got weird problems with my finger coordination when i dont hit acceleration 100% of the time.

i cant say for sure, but my feeling tells me it is easier to learn the 3-key-style (using basicly only left, right and brake, since 1 finger is kinda 100% on acceleration) for pingu than the 4-key-style for me.

but im still impressed by those people who use a keyboard who get a keyboarderror when pressing accel+brake+left (or right). i think i drove 1-3 races on my new keyboard in f1sl and or some porsche cup or similar and i had to use the 4-key-style. did went well, actually, but it wasnt easy.
now that i fixed my keys-get-stuck problem on my old keyboard (~1 time each 8 laps in 6 races in a row i drove straight offroad in practice server -.-, like i did with slider in irt vs dede) my chances increased as well :D

id still have no chance vs janne in the long run, i guess. but vs silcir, pab and lanz i can challenge better now.
just need to get more used to the more tiny resolution..

Wokinger

Post by Wokinger » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:00 pm

I disagree with changing fuel! If you want to save fuel (and drive a bit slower) you should have possibility to do that. The same in a opposite way. Mike Nike prefers 100%, but others prefer 10%. So, sth about 50% is compromise!

Etmil

Post by Etmil » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:09 pm

dede wrote:League will start on November 4th, next Sunday we'll drive another test race to test my speed. If we have enough players I'll set up two races, otherwise just the pro race.
To test your speed, lol?
Tijny wrote:Anything to increase dede's chances to lose, even if it's only by 0.4673%.
TOTAL!

Anyway, I don't know about others, but the way I drive is that I have my right hand controlling the acceleration and steering.. and the left hand handling the brakes (closely together with the key to change info/data in the upper left corner of the screen). How popular is this kind of setup?

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Wokinger wrote:I disagree with changing fuel! If you want to save fuel (and drive a bit slower) you should have possibility to do that. The same in a opposite way. Mike Nike prefers 100%, but others prefer 10%. So, sth about 50% is compromise!
Maybe you understood me wrong, idle consumption is set to 60% for now and my modifications won't affect that. The only thing I changed is that when you're accelerating and braking at the same time, the "idle" amount of fuel (in this case 60%) is consumed instead of the full 100% for reasons I previously posted. So, if anything, I made it easier to save fuel. For Mike at least.

Wokinger

Post by Wokinger » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Tijny wrote:
Wokinger wrote:I disagree with changing fuel! If you want to save fuel (and drive a bit slower) you should have possibility to do that. The same in a opposite way. Mike Nike prefers 100%, but others prefer 10%. So, sth about 50% is compromise!
Maybe you understood me wrong, idle consumption is set to 60% for now and my modifications won't affect that. The only thing I changed is that when you're accelerating and braking at the same time, the "idle" amount of fuel (in this case 60%) is consumed instead of the full 100% for reasons I previously posted. So, if anything, I made it easier to save fuel. For Mike at least.
It shouldn't work as you wrote, but ok.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Wokinger wrote:It shouldn't work as you wrote, but ok.
I expected that one:
Tijny wrote: I know some of you (wippe + Wokinger) will say "hey, that isn't how it works in real cars!!!" but that's exactly the point [...]
If this game tried to simulate reality you would be absolutely right - but it doesn't. The logic of the game is as follows:
  • * When a car accelerates, it accelerates
    * When a car brakes, it brakes
    * When a car accelerates and brakes, it brakes
These facts are something that Mike's (and possibly others?) driving style heavily relies on, and my modifications are merely in accordance with the game's own logic.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Tijny wrote:Ok, so I disassembled the server's executable and changed how the fuel consumption code works to give Mike a helping hand (and to learn some more about reverse engineering), accelerating and braking simultaneously will count as idle now. I felt this was a bug in the game, because accelerating has no effect whatsoever when you have the brake button pressed as well.
Can you also take few minutes and make TS v3.0.0 please?

Btw, I have to admit that in some cases I'm driving with the "Mike's" technique, but for sure it's not 100% of holding acceleration key pressed.
With F1 car I'm using acceleration+brake in some particular situations (curve types). That technique gives me much more advantages when playing with Slider or especially with Speeder.

Basically, game (car) engine should be improved so that acceleration+brake results with the fixed speed, not with the braking. That would make things much more fair. Sure, it would be perfect if the game could make that fuel consumption be infected just by the car speed.
Last edited by Whiplash on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Tijny wrote:
Pingu wrote:Noo this is really bad for me lol, I always release throttle key.. I just cant get used to driving while always having throttle pressed. I prob loose small amounts of time every corner because of the key swopping... while if you hit brake during accelerating you will insta brake and when you release it you will throtlle without loosing time.

I'm just wondering, how the f*** did you interpret my message in such a way that you think you have to change your driving style? You're saying yourself that Mike's style is harder to get used to, so shouldn't it be an advantage (a very small one at that) to him that he masters this technique instead of a huge disadvantage?
If no1 changes his driving style the ones who release keys get a bit slower relatively :)