TurboSliders.com F1 League 2012 Edition

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mike Nike
Community User Level: 5

Post by Mike Nike » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Afinfas wrote:Ok, i just checked once again on replay. Theres no live stats in what the position concerns! You have it for damage and fuel but not for position! Or am i completely blind??
Hmm, you should notice that TAB button shows 3 types of stats. If you press it once, yeah, it will show fuel, damage and stuff, but if you press it once again it will show the live stats of positions in the bottom of the screen. Amateur. :wink:
i think he knows about the tabbing and that he means livestats in terms of ngsp...where you overtake a car and the place/position is immediately updated.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Well, a race to forget for me, but I can take solace in the fact that I had the speed to compete for the victory. Disconnected in one of the first laps, had to come back and overtake most of the field again, but despite all that the gap to the leaders remained more or less the same throughout the race even though I didn't really have much to drive for anymore. Well, better luck next week I hope.
Afinfas wrote:...and i think the NSGP guys dont like it so much cause it needs some time to get used to it, and who comes from a much slower game like NSGP has a hard time to get used to the speed of TS and to the fact that turns come more quickly! :P
I think it's more due to the fact that they're not used to braking, period. :P Flying through tight hairpins at 300km/h = win.

Afinfas
Community User Level: 3

Post by Afinfas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Pingu wrote:nah Alfonso you are right there arent life stats per position, only when you cross the finish line as you said
Whiplash wrote:
Afinfas wrote:Ok, i just checked once again on replay. Theres no live stats in what the position concerns! You have it for damage and fuel but not for position! Or am i completely blind??
Hmm, you should notice that TAB button shows 3 types of stats. If you press it once, yeah, it will show fuel, damage and stuff, but if you press it once again it will show the live stats of positions in the bottom of the screen. Amateur. :wink:
Mike Nike wrote: i think he knows about the tabbing and that he means livestats in terms of ngsp...where you overtake a car and the place/position is immediately updated.

:lol: If you´re calling me amateur(which i am), then you are also calling Whiplash one! Is that true? :lol: Im still not convinced but i will give another look, cause i still havent found a stats with live position update! As i said, will check it and edit this post when i have the result! :P

About Mike Nike: Thats exactly what I am saying for a long time but i think they are not understanding. For me its obvious that when you overtake someone, it should update right away the position on the stats! :D Otherwise i happens like it did to me. I was like wow, im on 5th place, but then when i passed the finishing line it said, not you´re on 8th! :(
This update should be immediately as soon as there is a take over...

EDIT: Doent work! LOL just tried...even with Lanz. No position update immediately after take over! :P
Last edited by Afinfas on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dont forget to be happy!"

dede

Post by dede » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Etmil wrote:PS. Is it possible to have standings with the cut system implemented? So it'd be without the 2 worst results of all drivers. Shyguy, I remember, did it so well.
Yeah it's possible and results are already excluding 1 race out of 4. If we complete the whole championship, we'll count only 9 races out of 12.
For me its obvious that when you overtake someone, it should update right away the position on the stats!
Yeah, that's obvious but not so obvious in TS. You are coming from a simulation game, so everything has been developed in a single direction.
To understand what I mean, I suggest you to open a track file with the editor and check out how "control points" work. That's how TS checks if you are driving correct lines or if you are "cutting/cheating".
One possible solutions in order to have live stats would be to update racestats after every control point. Now stats are updated only when cutting finishline.

Afinfas

Post by Afinfas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:54 pm

dede wrote: Yeah, that's obvious but not so obvious in TS. You are coming from a simulation game, so everything has been developed in a single direction.
To understand what I mean, I suggest you to open a track file with the editor and check out how "control points" work. That's how TS checks if you are driving correct lines or if you are "cutting/cheating".
One possible solutions in order to have live stats would be to update racestats after every control point. Now stats are updated only when cutting finishline.
Yeah, that would be a compromise that makes sense. :) And when i say its obvious it should have immediately position update i dont mean that it should be like NSGP. In speaking in general, all racing games i have played that i remember work on that way. You gain one position, it updates right away.
Hopefully comes soon a small update with these little details sorted out!? Would be great! :) I would be glad to give some ideas as well... ;)

Is there any chance for an update to arrive anytime soon?Who would be responsible for it?
Last edited by Afinfas on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dede

Post by dede » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Afinfas wrote:Hopefully comes soon a small update with these little details sorted out!?
Nah, we have to live with what we have now, unless Tijny takes over the programming instead of just hacking the executable.

Afinfas

Post by Afinfas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:02 pm

dede wrote:
Afinfas wrote:Hopefully comes soon a small update with these little details sorted out!?
Nah, we have to live with what we have now, unless Tijny takes over the programming instead of just hacking the executable.
:lol: I didnt knew you were "hacking" the executable! :lol:

Another parallel question if you have the time/patience for the rookie guy that arrived to TS 3 weeks ago and "invades" the forum with questions and suggestions all the time! :P
Are the tracks where we play made on the TS editor or its used a third party plugin to make it? Cause some tracks look to clean to be have been made by the simple editor....
If someone can clarify me on this i would appreciate it, cause i was thinking in making some tracks but seems to be a bit "hard"/complicated to them smooth with built in editor.

EDIT: Nevermind...i just saw the thread about the tracks.....photoshop tutorial.
Sorry for my laziness of looking for the stuff. Its so much easier to ask!

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Afinfas wrote:For me its obvious that when you overtake someone, it should update right away the position on the stats! :D Otherwise i happens like it did to me. I was like wow, im on 5th place, but then when i passed the finishing line it said, not you´re on 8th! :(
Hmm, actually all real races works on the TS way. Even real F1 works more like TS than NSGP or Gran Turismo.
dede wrote:One possible solutions in order to have live stats would be to update racestats after every control point. Now stats are updated only when cutting finishline.
Nah, the perfect way would be to create an new type of control points which will be called "sectors". On that way you could have over 50 control points and only 3 sectors (where you could make approximately the same distance between them), which is more natural than to do it with every control point.
dede wrote:Nah, we have to live with what we have now, unless Tijny takes over the programming instead of just hacking the executable.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking to ask for the source in order to get T or Mike or you analyzing it a little bit. I'm sure some of you could do some improvements to it (especially T). You all shouldn't have any pressure with it. Maybe it's better to have some programmers doing some small changes on the source without any pressure, than just having nobody improving it. So, why don't you just ask Ande to give the source to 3-4 well known TS players (you, Mike, T...). If you guys couldn't to do any changes - no worry, at least you tried. So it would be something like semi-open source. :wink:

Afinfas

Post by Afinfas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Whiplash wrote: Hmm, actually all real races works on the TS way. Even real F1 works more like TS than NSGP or Gran Turismo.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking to ask for the source in order to get T or Mike or you analyzing it a little bit. I'm sure some of you could do some improvements to it (especially T). You all shouldn't have any pressure with it. Maybe it's better to have some programmers doing some small changes on the source without any pressure, than just having nobody improving it. So, why don't you just ask Ande to give the source to 3-4 well known TS players (you, Mike, T...). If you guys couldn't to do any changes - no worry, at least you tried. So it would be something like semi-open source. :wink:
First point - No way! :lol: Cmon, F1 you know right away in which position which car is and its not only updated in the end of the lap! Am i getting crazy and never realized that or you´re not really understanding what i mean? :lol:

The second point : Oh yeah! Semi Open source all the way!!!!! :D That would be fantastic and i think its a great idea! Missing to know if those guys you mentioned are willing to put the effort on it or not! :P
Last edited by Afinfas on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Afinfas wrote:First point - No way! :lol: Cmon, F1 you know right away in which position which car is and its not only updated in the end of the lap! Am i getting crazy and never realized that or you´re not really understanding what i mean? :lol:
I'm pretty sure you're wrong there. I mean, yeah, real F1 doesn't update the positions by the end of the lap, but it updates it by the end of the sectors. :wink:
Otherwise, how could their stats tools know when some car is "in front" and when "behind". Computer can't understand what is "in front" and "what's not" in every moment. Even human being couldn't know it. Every track would must be created by the trillions of virtual control points to be able to understand what's "in front" and what's "behind".

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 pm

Whiplash wrote:Otherwise, how could their stats tools know when some car is "in front" and when "behind". Computer can't understand what is "in front" and "what's not" in every moment. Even human being couldn't know it. Every track would must be created by the trillions of virtual control points to be able to understand what's "in front" and what's "behind".
I'm sorry, but you are wrong-o. Have you ever seen the GPS time gaps in F1 broadcasts? Those are updated way more often than 3 times a lap.
In TS though, live standings wouldn't be all that trivial to implement like dede already tried to explain. He left out the most important reason though: clients have no knowledge of when checkpoints are being passed, only the server does.

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Afinfas wrote:First point - No way! :lol: Cmon, F1 you know right away in which position which car is and its not only updated in the end of the lap! Am i getting crazy and never realized that or you´re not really understanding what i mean? :lol:
I'm pretty sure you're wrong there. I mean, yeah, real F1 doesn't update the positions by the end of the lap, but it updates it by the end of the sectors. :wink:
Otherwise, how could their stats tools know when some car is "in front" and when "behind". Computer can't understand what is "in front" and "what's not" in every moment. Even human being couldn't know it. Every track would must be created by the trillions of virtual control points to be able to understand what's "in front" and what's "behind".
As Eddie just said, its perfectly possible, Indycar has constantly updating standings using GPS, sometimes it can update twice in one corner if cars are passing, repassing.
www.youtube.com/sliderstv <---- Best Turbosliders Videos ever made ;)

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Tijny wrote:I'm sorry, but you are wrong-o. Have you ever seen the GPS time gaps in F1 broadcasts? Those are updated way more often than 3 times a lap.
Yes, but that thing is irrelevant. It's made just to give some recent infos to the audience even they aren't correct sometimes. The only relevant times are those ones captured from the static lines, not from the dynamic spots. It's many times questionable what spot belongs to "in front" and what to "behind". Those infos can't be something official; they are always made for audience in order to make them be much more oriented to the recent race events, nothing more than that. At least I saw it nowhere be used on different way. Teach me if I'm wrong.

Tijny wrote:In TS though, live standings wouldn't be all that trivial to implement like dede already tried to explain. He left out the most important reason though: clients have no knowledge of when checkpoints are being passed, only the server does.
That's why we would put some white or yellow lines there. It would be the best if editor would combine one sector's "virtual" line with one track's "physical" line.

pablinho15
Community User Level: 2

Post by pablinho15 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:37 am

nice race.

Afinfas

Post by Afinfas » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Tijny wrote:In TS though, live standings wouldn't be all that trivial to implement like dede already tried to explain. He left out the most important reason though: clients have no knowledge of when checkpoints are being passed, only the server does.
That's why we would put some white or yellow lines there. It would be the best if editor would combine one sector's "virtual" line with one track's "physical" line.
I know nothing about programming but...the checkpoints define the positions of the cars on the track or? That should be enough to make the live position update!
Trying to explain:
Car A passes checkpoint 8 (for example) before Car B, so in the standings it shows Car A 1st and Car B 2nd! If until next checkpoint (nº 9) Car B makes a takeover on Car A, then when Car A (now 2nd place) passes checkpoint nº 9, the position is update to 1st: Car B 2nd: Car A or?
Confusing??? For me its kind of clear!
I just dont know if its so easy to make this on programming...

arsen36

Post by arsen36 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:05 pm

can we start today 15 mins later?

dede

Post by dede » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:03 pm

arsen36 wrote:can we start today 15 mins later?
No, but we have warmup in first 10 minutes.. so hurry and you won't miss pre-quali.

Etmil

Post by Etmil » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Yeah I'll be running to get home, too. Please wait me out, I'm definitely coming!

dede

Post by dede » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Reminder for tonight's race! It's starting in 2 hours from now!

Track will be available from the following link, please download it separately if your download speed from servers is low (it's nearly 2MB).

Download Track (link working few minutes before the event).

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Lol what a race.. The beginning corners I had huge framedrop somehow... I dont think it was lag, beginning was really cars everywhere and a pink once forcing a lot if i remeber correctly. That car later was also the reason i had no chance to defend Etmils attacks. Well 12th to 5th still kinda nice but I think 4 was possible :o

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Blah. I touched the grass in first turn and ruined my whole race by that. I decided to continue anyway. But after I visited the pit for the 2nd time I realized I'll probably miss 1% or 2% of fuel to finish the race. :oops:
I also made few mistakes while fighting with Scud cause my eyes started hurt a lot (btw, that wasn't bad battle) and then just decided to stop. I fucked up Mike there pretty much too. Sorry.

Track wasn't too bad. :wink:
Last edited by Whiplash on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaykoq

Post by Jaykoq » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi again ... seems that I'm back :D
And I want to participate in this league 'til end :D

C'ya on Sundays :P
I'm a moron \o/

Scud

Post by Scud » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Race was good but car was bad... Nice battle with Whip and Mike. One big mistake in last lap and last corner cost me 7th place but it´s ok, s*it happens.
~siLciR <3~

Afinfas

Post by Afinfas » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Hmmm...i know it was hard to beat the excitement i had last weekend but still i was expecting a little bit more of it. Hopefully not sounding as an excuse but...i felt there was a lot of agressive driving today! :(
I was trying to be fair but cars were pushing me like #$# Entering on the turns not caring if there was already a car there or not, or if he had already the position or not! :(

Anyway...14th was what i could make after starting 17th. I felt very slow today. Had the feeling that on the long turns or the big sequence of turns, everyone could make it full gas and i never made it. I think i didnt made a single clean lap!
Also made 2 stupid consecutive mistakes going to grass on the upper 180º turn letting everybody pass and then run away. Was a pretty lonenly race! Not so much fun but i know racing games are like this so, i´m already waiting for next weekend! :)

Altough track was looking clean and nice and simple, it wasnt! I think was the hardest track i ever raced on this competition!

BTW: Is there any Race Control where you can make appeals?

Etmil

Post by Etmil » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Bad qualifying (9th) for me.. also wondered why only 5 laps there - weird.
Race was better though. Having realized I was half-way through my tyres at the end of the 1st stint, I decided to go for another stop, changing from 2 stop to 3 stop strategy. Which was a daunting decision at first, seeing as I needed to be constantly fast throughout the rest of the race and really drive aggressively, yet avoid mistakes. Calculating the fuel for the changed strategy went well and I was hoping for 5th-6th place finish. In the end, after my last of 3 stops, I had a nice good Vettel car designed by Newey himself. With that, I overtook 2 random dudes quite soon and then realized I was basically going just fine for 5th. Pingu was in front though and so I decided to attack and somewhere just 2-3 laps before the finish, I sandwiched myself perfectly through him and some lapper, even though at the end of the final stint I was too nervous and lost the rhythm. Thought I couldn't make it, but I did! So overall - very happy with 4th, but I know Mike might've had a poor race so it's a little due to that, as well :)