Formula 1 World Championship #1

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Will
Community User Level: 1

Re: Formula 1 World Championship #1

Post by Will » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Carlos Sainz Jr wrote:Why don't we put less damage per contact, pace is not slowed down but you can't recharge for it (only if you go to pit maybe)? It could be fun cause we can have retires as normal races :p
Do you mean like that mode in full contact where we can only be x amount of time off the track before the car stops, but instead, the damage will be done by contact? That could be interesting if the car starts to go slower below, let's say, 50% but pitting will repair it, and 0% will stop the car leading to retirement. This will make players think a little before risking but wont ruin a players race with a casual contact. I believe this might be better that the current proposal of slow down the car x secs, but wanna hear other opinions. It feels more 'real'.

Carlos Sainz Jr

Post by Carlos Sainz Jr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:06 pm

Will wrote:
Carlos Sainz Jr wrote:Why don't we put less damage per contact, pace is not slowed down but you can't recharge for it (only if you go to pit maybe)? It could be fun cause we can have retires as normal races :p
Do you mean like that mode in full contact where we can only be x amount of time off the track before the car stops, but instead, the damage will be done by contact? That could be interesting if the car starts to go slower below, let's say, 50% but pitting will repair it, and 0% will stop the car leading to retirement. This will make players think a little before risking but wont ruin a players race with a casual contact. I believe this might be better that the current proposal of slow down the car x secs, but wanna hear other opinions. It feels more 'real'.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant (I think the mod was called Full Contact Demolition?) but I was a bit in a hurry so I typed it bad, thank you for explaining it better :p

I think it could be the best option if we really want to put damage tbh and apparently Will agrees with that too so you Admins should consider this proposal :mrgreen:

Whiplash
Community User Level: 5

Post by Whiplash » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:09 pm

That was my initial idea, but we gave up from it because that could have a radical effect on a player who's hit by others (even though I'd like to have these kinds of incidents in races too :twisted: ). Also, there is one thing that must be considered when it comes to this car. I've included to its setup one new parameter that new game version got by my suggestion: damagedownforcefactor 0.3
So, when asking this from Ande, my idea was to implement damage system which doesn't affect the speed (acceleration) of the car at all, but only its downforce. It would just feel like you damaged your car's wings and now you lose some performance in very fast turns - until you visit the pit and repair it.

P.S.
Initially I expected Ande to make this parameter as a regular damage parameter, but for some reason he decided to make it as a car parameter. That's why we can't customize it without changing the car totally. I'll ask him at some point if this can be changed.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Will wrote:
I think I actually agree with this, but I guess Whiplash feels that a direct effect might have more impact on people's driving styles than an indirect one. It's also quite hard to balance the settings in such a way that people who collide too much are punished while "acceptable" driving styles are not.
Because that is what I feel should be the ideal: just one or two unlucky collisions caused by someone else should not hurt you any more than it already does, but those who drive carelessly enough to cause 4 or 5 collisions themselves should be penalized. An auto-repair system just cannot provide that.

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:46 pm

I just wish you could drive vs your on PB Ghost. :cry:

magnam

Post by magnam » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Pingu wrote:I just wish you could drive vs your on PB Ghost. :cry:

THAT OPTION WOULD BE ULTRA MEGA SUPER COOOOOL, and it would make training much easier

Carlos Sainz Jr

Post by Carlos Sainz Jr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Tijny wrote:
Will wrote:
I think I actually agree with this, but I guess Whiplash feels that a direct effect might have more impact on people's driving styles than an indirect one. It's also quite hard to balance the settings in such a way that people who collide too much are punished while "acceptable" driving styles are not.
Because that is what I feel should be the ideal: just one or two unlucky collisions caused by someone else should not hurt you any more than it already does, but those who drive carelessly enough to cause 4 or 5 collisions themselves should be penalized. An auto-repair system just cannot provide that.
We can give sanctions after game, for example +10.0s to final time etc.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Damage setup is changed. This time it won't affect your speed (acceleration) at all. It will only influence your downforce. As I said before, it will feel like the car's wings are damage and you won't be able to drive that fast trough very fast corners anymore. Once you get damaged, you will have to decide whether to continue racing or to visit the pit and repair the car - which will totally change your initial strategy.

Will

Post by Will » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Whiplash wrote:Damage setup is changed. This time it won't affect your speed (acceleration) at all. It will only influence your downforce. As I said before, it will feel like the car's wings are damage and you won't be able to drive that fast trough very fast corners anymore. Once you get damaged, you will have to decide whether to continue racing or to visit the pit and repair the car - which will totally change your initial strategy.
Is there a way to know for sure the car is damaged, or do we have to 'feel' the damage? Also is this a all or nothing or a progressive thing?

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:57 pm

It shows a percentage on the screen, same as with fuel and tyres. Except that it's in red. The effect is gradual.

power79
Community User Level: 3

Post by power79 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Here is current Top-3 Circly drivers (Tinjowitsu-san, [+] Badeend, [x] Whiplash) and their top laps overlayed together! Remember to turn ghost cars visible so you can actually see the action.

Circly_Top3

edit: Oh, snap. Badeend just improved his time so this is bit old information but it was a quick test anyway so who cares.

edit2: Ok updated video to present Badeend's latest lap.
Last edited by power79 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Badeend

Post by Badeend » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:29 pm

power79 wrote:Here is current Top-3 Circly drivers (Tinjowitsu-san, [+] Badeend, [x] Whiplash) and their top laps overlayed together! Remember to turn ghost cars visible so you can actually see the action.

Circly_Top3

edit: Oh, snap. Badeend just improved his time so this is bit old information but it was a quick test anyway so who cares.
Wow, this is great stuff!

Will

Post by Will » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Badeend wrote:
power79 wrote:Here is current Top-3 Circly drivers (Tinjowitsu-san, [+] Badeend, [x] Whiplash) and their top laps overlayed together! Remember to turn ghost cars visible so you can actually see the action.

Circly_Top3

Wow, this is great stuff!
Indeed. Very different approaches showing that the perfect lap still wasn't reached.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Circly_Top3
Great, thank you for this! I have done two other laps that were within 0.009 of my current best, and I'd be extremely interested in seeing those merged together with the actual lap record, if it's not too much work of course. :)
(if you can also think of a way to make them somewhat identifiable, that would be even better)

Videos downloaded from the server: 1:31.173, 1:31.171

power79

Post by power79 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Tijny wrote: Great, thank you for this! I have done two other laps that were within 0.009 of my current best, and I'd be extremely interested in seeing those merged together with the actual lap record, if it's not too much work of course. :)
(if you can also think of a way to make them somewhat identifiable, that would be even better)

I tried to change car colors but It didn't take(don't know how that color stuff works to be honest). So good luck getting anything out of this mess:
Tijnyx3

My tool is still a bit buggy so I can't really take any more requests. I will update Top-3 video at some point before race.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm

power79 wrote:
Tijny wrote: Great, thank you for this! I have done two other laps that were within 0.009 of my current best, and I'd be extremely interested in seeing those merged together with the actual lap record, if it's not too much work of course. :)

So good luck getting anything out of this mess:
Tijnyx3
Thanks a lot, and I understand your position of not taking any more requests (all too well).

What I can make out of that is that what looks to be the .171 lap opens up a gap of 0.150-0.200 seconds twice, but is caught both times. That would suggest that I can do a 1:30.7? Seems like I've got a new goal for friday evening after having had a few wines!

power79

Post by power79 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:58 pm

I couldn't change just player colors but was able to change players. So here is clearer video for Tijny:
TijnyX4.tsr
[bot]power01 1:31.173
[bot]power02 1:31.171
[bot]power03 1:31.164
Tinjowitsu-san 1:31.085

Here is Top2 at the moment:
Top2.tsr
Tinjowitsu-san 1:31.085
[+] Badeend 1:31.281

And to help my competitors to catch me, here is positions 6-9 at the moment:
Pos6-9.tsr
power79 1:31.900
TDi_Gol_v8 1:32.035
Silva 1:32.081
[SL] Wokinger 1:32.303
You can see that I usually brake earlier than others. That's probably why I usually get hit in races at least couple times.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:56 pm

power79 wrote:You can see that I usually brake earlier than others. That's probably why I usually get hit in races at least couple times.
Yeah, in racing situations braking early can be dangerous if others aren't paying attention -- but that's most likely not your fault. But because you brake early and hard enough, your lines do look tidier than those of the other guys in that video, generally getting more speed out of the corners. Still, compared to myself and Badeend, you could prioritize your corner exit speed even more! (and that advice goes doubly for the other stars of that video)

For example, in the slow chicane early on, you can see that I slow down enough to keep myself really close to the track edge, in order to get maximum acceleration onto the straight that follows - because that is where the time is gained.

Another example - I try to drive the fast sweeping right-hand bend in such a way that I get a perfect approach into the next turn, where everyone in the "6 to 9" video ended up much further down the track, more or less around the red marker. My speed at that point might be a bit lower, but my higher speed onto the next straight more than makes up for that because in the end, I get a higher speed for longer.

Sky

Post by Sky » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum (and to the game also... just drove some laps so far).

Someone suggested me to ask for bots for the 4k tracks. Can someone send these to me?

Many thanks.

Alex

dede

Post by dede » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:24 am

Someone? You suck!

Tijny/whip can you take care of sending Sky those / publishing them somewhere?

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:36 am

Jawohl. Here is a zip package with driving lines for all 4K tracks.

Extract these files into the "ai" folder, then set the desired AI Fill number in the Players menu. Or, if you're running a server, use the command /aifill N.

Will

Post by Will » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:42 am

Tijny wrote:Jawohl. Here is a zip package with driving lines for all 4K tracks.

Extract these files into the "ai" folder, then set the desired AI Fill number in the Players menu. Or, if you're running a server, use the command /aifill N.
You have to forgive Tijny, he rarely uses computers. Here's the correct link:
Here

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:00 am

Oh fvcuk, danm tpyos! Tnahks \/\\/\||___|_!

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:06 pm

magnam wrote:
Pingu wrote:I just wish you could drive vs your on PB Ghost. :cry:

THAT OPTION WOULD BE ULTRA MEGA SUPER COOOOOL, and it would make training much easier
Agree, because then you can see if you win or loose time if you drive a corner differently, now its al feeling. And we don't all have the Turbosliders feeling of Dede Tijny or Badeend.

Sky

Post by Sky » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 pm

dede wrote:Someone? You suck!
Aren't you tired to keep on asking this to me? The answer is always the same: forget it!

Actually I was trying to do you a favour by keeping secret our relationship :P

Thanks guys for the link.