Formula 1 World Championship #1

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Enrico Papi
Community User Level: 1

Re: Formula 1 World Championship #1

Post by Enrico Papi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Carlos Sainz Jr wrote:No Whippe, I don't care about points to be honest but trust me, I try to be as fair as possible but sometimes it is impossible to avoid some slight race accident contacts, especially if there are cars everywhere next to you (I understand yo can't get it since you start in Top 6 everytime). For example my second contact with Ippon is literally impossible to avoid, and the only contact visible in lap 13 I just didn't expect Magnam to brake so early since I was right behind him in the straight. He took advantage from that and Jurgen who was behind me was about to overtake me cause I lost a lot of speed lol.

What I meant before is that some cars change their direction lines instead of leaving some space just cause they know that if they get pushed the following car lose some speed, but for you that is the second car's fault. How is that possible?

Nevermind, I'll accept the verdict and I'll start again having on my mind how I let Mike and Tinjo pass me and my fight against Will. Peace :mrgreen:
You and Wurz are crying way too much, respect the admins and accept their decisions, amateurs :!:

max tre

Post by max tre » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Alexander Wurz wrote:If lap1 is enough to give me a punishment of 2 points, [...]

:mrgreen:

Tijny
Community User Level: 5

Post by Tijny » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:15 am

Enrico Papi wrote:You and Wurz are crying way too much, respect the admins and accept their decisions, amateurs :!:
Nah. When literally more than half of the drivers are being sanctioned, the admins need to rethink their ruling criteria.

@Mike: I don't think I have that tool anymore, and it surely wouldn't work for TS 2.5+.

(I approve of the idea of racing against 19 Mike Nikes though!)

Jurgen-NL
Community User Level: 4
Community User Level: 4

Post by Jurgen-NL » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:45 am

i don't believe there should be sanctions either however with major incidents such as backwards driving or getting in the way of lead cars getting lapped can be punishable

i am getting more used to the car now simply driving on a different zoom level then i do with prime because of the top speed but still lacking the feel for good laps sometimes though

first race i had some getting used to this but i found after 10+ prac races i did quite alright and settled early for pos 11 - 10 - 9 then made a wacky off road manouevre losing momentum but no real places yet after only 11 laps
i was driving in ghost town then a few players caught up whom i didn't know exactly i did recognize magnam being 1 of the duo around lap 12-13 lost 2 spots along the way then found my pace again and hung in there
tho after regaining 1 spot and overtaking magnam whom bumped me off road for 9th and took off again (no need for punish race incident but very gross :p)
I had some troubles finding my pace but eventually did getting his spot back later in the end finishing 11th which was where i belonged it seemed not gaining on 10th but 12th no where in sight at finish

look forward to next race with this experience :)
Dont beg for things do it yourself or else you wont get anything!!

Mike Nike

Post by Mike Nike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:16 am

I've been asked for some tips to improve by a few drivers now.
So, here are my 2 cents (again) - maybe that will help:

Tips (even some weird ones) to improve your personal best lap:

Step 1: create good conditions
- optimize your settings (internet, ingame), so you reduce the amount of warps and serverdiff in a way, it nearly matches a local recordhunt
- get rid of distractions (reflecting lights on the screen or in your view range, a dirty screen, animals in the room, sound sources from elsewhere, maybe put on a certain music that helps you not getting distracted by thoughts that have nothing to do with racing)
- create a location to play that suits your "record hunting style" well. Examples: under my laptop i put something to better the grip, so it does not slide so easily. My chair and table allow me a sitting position, so that the position of my feet and my body work together in a balanced way to improve my pushs of the driving keys in terms of timing and strength. Easier than driving in the bed, with the laptop on your knees, dede might agree. Also: something like a towel for under your ellbows. And if you can't sit long on your chair: put "more" on it, unless it does not comfort your "balanced position".
- gfx settings: high resolution and a low zoom. I use on a somewhat small screen: fullscreen 1920x1080 and zoom 1.0. The main thing is: the car may not be too tiny, so you can still aim well in curves, but you should be able to see far enough ahead in order to hit breaking points more frequently and avoid crashing in front crashs in races. Also: i recommend at least trying to use predictive camera mode for a longer while. I use it and for me it is a great help.

Step 2: chose your driving style
- in qualification it does not matter if you hit the acceleration key 100% of the times or not. Anyway, in order to learn to get comfortable with fuel saving and breaking/gas releasing points for the upcoming race(s), i can only recommend to keep the "fuel-saving" style.
- chose your driving keys and hands. Some players can drive with just 1 hand, many might drive with 2, many might also drive with only 2 or 3 fingers, i personally prefer to drive with 4 (2 fingers from each hand). My advantage is the faster reaction time here. A disadvantage, depending on the key binding, is: in some curves or curve combinations in some tracks, your fingers might actually be in the way of each other. Also the possibility of hitting the wrong key or an additional key, that might lead to a keyboarderror, is slightly higher, maybe. In 100 6 lap races, i get like 5 wrong key hits and 0,5 keyboard errors in average, maybe - and then i end up driving offroad, usually.
- just for races or really long tracks: you can either choose to "chicken fight" and play it safe, driving constant safe curves or you can start trying to beat the lap record (or sector record, or curve combination record) every single time. You will end up driving offroad more often and even crash some times, but in the end you can easily drive way more than 0.2s/lap faster that way, in some tracks maybe 0.5 sec or more. In the end your racetotaltime will be faster and also your personal best laptimes. Unfortunately that does not work for races in every tracks. A crash in Elementerekejfe in curve 3 can cost you 4-9 seconds, often. So: i suggest special careness in curve 2, mainly in curve 3, and a decent amount in the last curve as well.

Step 3: math in driving lines
- Tijny already had some strong tips here! Release the gas early and/or break early and make sure you do not miss the apex, costing you over 0.05sec per car width.
- hairpins or not in 180 degree turns? Actually, with F1-Genesis, i do not know. You want to build up speed for the long straights, that's for sure. But you have to keep in mind the low turning speed of the car. I suggest: make sure that, if you start accelerating in the middle of the curve or a little bit earlier, that you can keep pressing the key and do not have to release it in order to avoid getting offroad. If you then did not miss the apex and your car ends up at the very outside of the road, you've usually done pretty well.
- watching the top3 merged videos can give you a good idea of where you can save time. Example: entering the lap, you can already win over 0.02sec by driving a tight first mini-curve and then drive straight to your 1st breaking point, instead driving a long curve to it. Also, you should enter the lap with a maximum of speed. Actually, if you already ruined your lap, you can start your next lap from a certain "speed 0" point before the last curve, which lets you end up in entering the start/finish line in a high amount of cases with a somewhat optimized speed. Let's say i get that in 80%, while getting a fast outcome of last curve in only 60-70%. But if you keep practicing the last curve, you will at least improve your timing there, which is maybe more important in order to not mess up your super fast lap, once you get one.
A little information, i probably did not shared until today, in order to show the importance of the entering speed (Tijny/dede might like that): i once won a weekly hotlap cup 3 times in a row or so, where one of it was with EasySlider. I entered the track with a ridiculous high entering speed, because i started from a weird point of the track, giving me a slight advantage, even the slightly stronger EasySlider players could not make up.

Step 4: adjusting the driving line
- my favourite tip: use the environment for breaking/gas release points! If you want to approach your improvement period as a method, you can try this: start ridiculously early with breaking, so you will not miss the apex and will not drive offroad. Remember your breaking points and start breaking lap by lap a bit later, until you find the perfect break/steer/accelerate combination for each curve. While breaking points are easy (start of curbs or trees next to the road or the middle axis between 2 trees), it is way harder to find out how long to break and when to accelerate. Can't really help you with this, yet. Also: in Elemterekejfe curve 2, and partly in curve 5, i suggest to test a stepwise breaking (hitting the break key fast many times, releasing it in order to not overheat the tyres). In the middle part there is a tree to your left, you could use as "gas release point". Knowing the amount of time i have to release it (under a second), i came out nicely into the loooong straightish curve in nearly 100% of the times, without seeing the apex coming yet in my screen. Later i tested to release gas earlier, so i have more time spent on high speed in that section, due to earlier acceleration. But then i started to be too tight to the left side very often and end up offroad left or right. Tough lucky middle part still for me, if i try the more optimal line.
- sometimes it helps to drive close behind fast drivers in order to get an idea of a good line or breaking point. But please try to avoid irritating them with your ghostcar by driving inside them right during a curve in one of their strong laps! :D
- watch the laprecord videos (tsr files) by downloading them or from your autosave folder (make sure you have permanent recording activated)

Step 5: keep the focus!
- my 2nd favourite tip: once you drove a good lap already and are fine with your breaking points, try to drive optimal every curve (yeah, i basicly already said that yet, but anywayz)! That means: if you crashed or drove a slow curve 1, don't think you have to drive almost 2 laps now in order to see your next fast laptime. Use it as practice for when you are in a hot lap. Or use it as study, to see how much you lost in that curve - you will have to drive a very fast rest of lap in order to have a good comparison. Or use it as improvement of the way you drive your curve - because sometimes you drive it faster than you ever did before.
- don't lose focus! The other day i had like 36 6-lap races within...more than 5 hours. At some point, like so often, i lost focus and although i happened to drive a fast lap from time to time, here is something which happened ridiculously often: i started to focus again and really tried to "attack", trying to drive a strong lap, approaching every curve with high risk. And then, i drove a sick lap immediately in the very next lap!

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:30 am

Seems the only way to stop this bastard is to delete all the trees out of track. :twisted:

power79
Community User Level: 3

Post by power79 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:44 am

You can draw anything you want in the track image png file without changing hash value. Trees or other visual marks.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:26 am

Oh mighty wall of text, I approve of you.

A few points I'd like to expand on:
  • Try to go for consistency first. The key to consistency is to brake early and smoothly, which ties in nicely with Mike's tips. If you can do 6 clean laps in a row without missing your braking points or needing major throttle corrections, then it could be time to push harder and go for a faster lap. You might even find it difficult to beat the laptimes you did in your smooth, consistent runs.
  • A good rule of thumb is to try to accelerate just before the apex. If you end up offroad or have to make a throttle correction on corner exit, it means you did not slow down enough for the turn. Similar to the tip of braking very early, it could be beneficial to focus on going full throttle out of every corner, even if you don't quite have the timing to use the whole track width.

Mike Nike

Post by Mike Nike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:15 pm

power79 wrote:You can draw anything you want in the track image png file without changing hash value. Trees or other visual marks.
Hmm... just like driving with transparent bridges or using other car images, this sounds like a very good help. But it feels like a semi cheat on the other hand. I remember actually trying that by editing the road images and/or other objects you can use in the track editor. Didn't have the idea of changing the track image file yet. Either way, i can't remember having semicheated a record with that, yet. 2 records with transparent bridges. And tons of records with TS 0.86 car images of default cars (because i was used to them), when driving in TS 1.x or 2.x.
My performance in practice races in curve 3 was horrible though. Instead of breaking with my eye/feeling, i always tried to hit some weird "0.x sec after tree" breaking point and missed that often. Adding 1-2 more trees or something at that curve would probably give me 0.05-0.2s/lap advantage, i can imagine^^ ...so 2.25-9sec reduced from the total race time. That sounds a lot, but it would not feel allright using this advantage, when others can't. Although uploading the changed image file and share it here would actually sound fine to me, especially for this corner, where there is a huge stuck and mass crash chaos danger :D
Now it is a bit late though and also i would wait for "whippe word" first...or whoever is the trackmaker. In case of later video editing, Whip would probably not want some ugly "paint"ed colored marks on the side of the road in a video (although for that you can still change back to old image file).

@T

Nice add!

Badeend

Post by Badeend » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Stats of tonight's race:

http://lvp-ts.com/races/detail/3521/

Congrats to Tinjo! I feel sad for Mike, judging on the first few laps it looked like Tinjo would have a hard time beating him...

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:33 am

Everything is updated. I enjoyed the race at the most part. I just had really nasty lags during laps 7th and 8th (hard disc was crackling like something is updating again) causing me to make some picnics out of track. The first goal was to do 1 stop only (I was hoping to be one of those lucky guys who will avoid all contacts with extremely pussy drive in first curves), but the things escalated quickly. :) I managed to collect 20% of damage in the first lap, so 2 stops were planned right away.
I felt so bad about Mike - I was sure he'll nail this race. :cry: But, from another side, Jormeli took the chance to get his first podium. Congrats for that! :wink:

power79

Post by power79 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:46 am

Race Stats:
Race Stats(Elemterekejfe)
I removed drafting stats as those were not interesting.

Damage Report:
Damage Report(Elemterekejfe)
Lap is now for clarity indicating lap of the leader and not lap of the first car in collision.
Other change is that first car should indicate the car that was behind the second car when collision happened.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 am

power79 wrote:Other change is that first car should indicate the car that was behind the second car when collision happened.
Oh, that's a nice add-on! Basically, all the left-sorted drivers are the guilty ones (in 90% situations). Btw, in "Damage / lap (Collisions)", can you also show overall damage per player?

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:57 am

Badeend wrote:Stats of tonight's race:

http://lvp-ts.com/races/detail/3521/

Congrats to Tinjo! I feel sad for Mike, judging on the first few laps it looked like Tinjo would have a hard time beating him...
That's for sure, but my car was a bit more damaged in the first few laps which explains him being marginally faster. The damage report also explains why you couldn't keep up with us, seems J was out to get you! But I'm quite happy with how consistently I drove, only 3-4 of my laptimes out of 45 weren't really up to par. Mike would not have found it easy to beat me either, it would have been a great challenge for both of us. :(

Dynamic standings.

Azev
Community User Level: 2

Post by Azev » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:37 am

LAP 8: ***************************************************************
Azev ---> Silva ( 2,6%) TimeStamp: 10:26.720
Silva ---> Azev ( 2,6%) TimeStamp: 10:40.740
Silva ---> Azev ( 1,7%) TimeStamp: 11:01.680
LAP 9: ***************************************************************
Azev ---> Silva ( 9,0%) TimeStamp: 11:06.860
Azev ---> Silva ( 3,6%) TimeStamp: 12:08.380

"Damn Silva". I let him pass twice, at least (he is faster), but he kept making mistakes in front of me.
Lag wasn't helping, so yeah, it was rage time :mrgreen: :twisted:

Anyway, first time racing, and I liked it! I hope to get a place there next Sunday! :wink:

Will

Post by Will » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:39 am

As expected the first few corners were chaotic -lots of damage for a lot of people and respective races compromised. I wish there was a way to prevent the starts to be so 'random', for a lack of a better word.
Contrary to the previous ones, I didn't particularly enjoyed this track and race, in part, because of the 'stop and go' nature of it, this made close racing riskier than usual. I never felt in the rhythm at any point, and it was hard to manage and predict the tire performance. I'm still puzzled how i out-braked myself several times when all by myself and not pressured in any way. Weird.

Azev, what the hell happened to you?

Carlos Sainz Jr

Post by Carlos Sainz Jr » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:08 pm

I didn't like that track much so I was a bit pessimistic for the race, just add that I got screwed up by some cars in first laps (I smashed Power tho, sorry man) and that I got disconnected 3-4 times for a couple of seconds each losing a checkpoint without noticing it and you have Carlos Sainz Jr. performance :D

Fortunately Oompa loves me and he came to hug me while I was stuck in the corner ♥

wazaari

Post by wazaari » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Nice stats and nice race.
Where can I find all my lap times? I would like to see them

Thanks
Waz

Azev

Post by Azev » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Will wrote:As expected the first few corners were chaotic -lots of damage for a lot of people and respective races compromised. I wish there was a way to prevent the starts to be so 'random', for a lack of a better word.
Contrary to the previous ones, I didn't particularly enjoyed this track and race, in part, because of the 'stop and go' nature of it, this made close racing riskier than usual. I never felt in the rhythm at any point, and it was hard to manage and predict the tire performance. I'm still puzzled how i out-braked myself several times when all by myself and not pressured in any way. Weird.

Azev, what the hell happened to you?
Lag and Silva.

This is some weird lag, I don't believe it's a connection problem, the game seems to freeze sometimes. :?

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Azev wrote:Lags, bla bla
Check THIS posts out. Anyway, many of your moves can't be excused by lags.
wazaari wrote:Nice stats and nice race.
Where can I find all my lap times? I would like to see them
Do this in game menu: Settings -> Statistics -> Permanent Logs - set to "Enabled".
Now you'll have all race statistics saved in "logs" folder. :wink:

But, for now, I'll paste them for you here:

Gap to leader each lap

Code: Select all

"Ippon-Wazaari" 0 14.022 17.929 20.708 23.481 25.008 27.116 29.873 32.464 35.499 37.320 49.323 56.265 57.573 58.681 59.675 62.208 62.613 64.892 66.076 66.442 70.827 73.924 87.956 89.016 89.253 89.516 89.712 89.835 89.783 90.978 91.645 92.959 102.063 107.395 107.148 106.856 106.833 106.482 106.238 112.235 112.507 113.100 113.961 114.265 
Lap times

Code: Select all

Ippon-Wazaari pos 14 (time: 1:02:04.358,  44 laps), best lap: 38 (1:21.696c) F1-Genesis 1ad408b5
  Lap times: 1:36.069c 1:25.955c 1:24.826c 1:24.821c 1:23.574c 1:24.156c 1:24.805c 1:24.638c 1:25.083c 1:23.868c 1:34.051c 1:28.989c 1:23.356c 1:23.156c 1:23.041c 1:24.581c 1:22.452c 1:24.327c 1:23.231c 1:22.414c 1:26.433c 1:25.144c 1:36.080c 1:23.107c 1:22.285c 1:22.311c 1:22.243c 1:22.171c 1:21.995c 1:23.243c 1:22.714c 1:23.362c 1:31.152c 1:27.379c 1:21.801c 1:21.755c 1:22.025c 1:21.696c 1:21.804c 1:28.045c 1:22.319c 1:22.641c 1:22.908c 1:22.352c

Azev

Post by Azev » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Azev wrote:Lags, bla bla
Check THIS posts out. Anyway, many of your moves can't be excused by lags.
Oh, no excuses here! Lag just made me mad, and then came Silva, and then the ESC.

Racing is more difficult than I imagined, I bumped into Silva 2 or 3 times, my fault, should have hit the brakes earlier, but as I already said, it was my first time, so I get maybe a noob discount? :D

I will be careful next time.

Oompa

Post by Oompa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Zev, you give up too soon :( Don't let ghosts get in your way. Try to hunt them down,

"like the buffalo before it vanished from the plains."

No! See? This is what I mean! Don't give in to melancholy Azev! Don't spill your coffee like the water

"that drained away from the dying trees in the"

.... WTF STOP IT!

"You will know nothing but pain.
You will suffer from loss of grip."

NO PLEASE AZEV ENOUGH I CAN'T TAKE ANYM...

"It will be a slow puncture for you, coming to a stop in the sludge from yesterday, worms will climb your legs onward to the nostrils of evil."

Zev, don't sell your children into slavery! I beg you!

"Begging only hurts. I have seen enough hurt to last even their lifetimes. Dust they will become, nameless, shoeless, beggars in the night, forgotten. Now, speak no more, you fiend, melt away like you always do, cowardice untoppeth."

At night Azev comes. During the day, Azev comes. The postman brings packets of Azev. They are full of torment and anger, disguised as emptiness. Poor Zev :( x

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Oompa, share that weed with us man. Btw, I've just watched replay - Wazzari's race shows clearly why avoiding contacts gives you more advantage than forced overtaking. It was his the best race so far (even there was still some unnecessary and uncontrolled maneuvers). Wazzari - don't pay attention so much on the drivers behind of you. Keep your focus on those in front. That way you won't have so many late braking - and if somebody hits you from behind, it's not your fault. Btw, your first 2 pit stops were pure comedy. :)

Alexander Wurz

Post by Alexander Wurz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 pm

So, I watched my own race again to report some "strange" crashes. Here is what I came up with:

-Lap1 I destroy Will in turn 1, and Power in turn 2. Nothing to say, just crazy nervous Wurz striking from behind. Defo my fault.

-Lap2 Power hits me twice in last U turn. Well that was a strange turn pow ahah Fortunately he was aware of his mistake and asked forgiveness just after the race.

-Lap16 that was quite hard to judge. Wokinger and I are side by side in last turn. I try to race my lane turning right but Wokinger kinda pushes me a bit outside by proceeding straight. Don't know who is to blame.

-Lap33 turn3 Wokinger hits me from behind trying desperately to overtake me and laf.

BTW, that was a fun race trying to come from behind after the first 2 disaster laps. I really felt the track more than usual and think laptimes show it. Had some nice fights with Sainz between 8-12, Bruno all over the race trying to come up the pack (gg to him, did a nice comeback) and Wokinger during last laps. Hope to have the same fun in weeks to come.

Wokinger

Post by Wokinger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Alexander Wurz wrote:-Lap16 that was quite hard to judge. Wokinger and I are side by side in last turn. I try to race my lane turning right but Wokinger kinda pushes me a bit outside by proceeding straight. Don't know who is to blame.
IMO, I was inside and you turn too early and there was contact. You'd better stay outside and force me to leave you space outside on corner exit.

Alexander Wurz wrote:-Lap33 turn3 Wokinger hits me from behind trying desperately to overtake me and laf.
I thought you will drive wider on exit, but I failed. I sucked there. I would be on P7 if I overtook you there :(