It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:00 am

Formula 1 World Championship #1

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Whiplash

Community User Level: 5

Re: Formula 1 World Championship #1

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 am

Wow, no need to scroll down to see all damage incidents. :shock:
Btw, the race was really great, apart that I sucked. It's really nice to see how many drivers managed to improve their skill and understand the tricky car (Oompa, Jurgue, Jormelion...). I had few incidents with Jurgue: some were my fault, some not. And I had once cute "fence kiss".

P.S.
power, there's a bug with "-1" position info in first stats.

Azev

Community User Level: 2

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 9:59 am

Whiplash wrote:Wow, no need to scroll down to see all damage incidents. :shock:

This is really good! I'm always afraid to hit others, when battling for position, and I usually end up making mistakes.

Anyway, the race was awesome till I crashed entering the pits. I lost 5 positions. Who put that thing there? :twisted:

Good battle with Carlos, Wurz, and Silva, on the first laps. And later with Laf. :D
Next time... Keep calm and drive, Azev.

Carlos Sainz Jr

Community User Level: 1

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 10:00 am

Bah, I may sound cocky and arrogant but I feel like I'm a bit faster than people I fight with. The problem is that something wrong happens everytime and I always have to do "strong comebacks" to reach good results. I got smashed at start by Will (also Bruno wtf, I start better but you change your direction line so I touch you and you can gain some speed with me losing it, really?), taken offroad by Silva (but I think I also had a mini graphic lag there) and knocked out by a lapped Drax. I was not 100% mentally ok, kinda stressed for what happened to me, even 'cause for a couple of laps I experienced some annoying lag and I also failed my 1st Pit, but yeah good race after all, fights with Wurz, Azev and Silva in particular, but also Ippon and Laf were cool. Sorry for this lil vent :)

Ah, I noticed that it happens that the game counts small front-rear contacts on straights even if there still is a bit of space between cars involved. It wouldnt be weird if that happens everytime there's the same distance, but it is not like that, it's kinda random tbh. Sometimes I can even stay more close without any problems, other times I end up pushing someone. And that's a problem for who wants to take maximum advantage possible by draft.

Good stats Power, but I was wondering if it is possible to add something like how many cars we overtake in a race. It could be a cool statistic in my opinion (oh, for the info, check my maneuvre to Azev on 2nd lap :p).

Tinjo, dynamic chart whenever you can. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Carlos Sainz Jr on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azev

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 10:42 am

Carlos Sainz Jr wrote:
(oh, for the info, check my maneuvre to Azev on 2nd lap :p).

I knew you were going to try that on the inside, but still couldn't stop it, well done :D

Whiplash

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 10:55 am

Carlos Sainz Jr wrote:Ah, I noticed that it happens that the game counts small front-rear contacts on straights even if there still is a bit of space between cars involved. It wouldnt be weird if that happens everytime there's the same distance, but it is not like that, it's kinda random tbh. Sometimes I can even stay more closer without any problems, sometimes I push someone. And that's a problem for who wants to take maximum advantage possible by draft.

That happens because of the race ping. Sometimes it's higher so you see cars' positions on the track refreshed few milliseconds later, and it feels like you're hitting invisible objects. If you check the server's replay video, you will probably not be able to see that happening. The only way to fix that is to make car pattern smaller, but then it would look bad - cars would overlap each others too much.

Tijny

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 11:33 am

Whiplash wrote:
Carlos Sainz Jr wrote:Ah, I noticed that it happens that the game counts small front-rear contacts on straights even if there still is a bit of space between cars involved. It wouldnt be weird if that happens everytime there's the same distance, but it is not like that, it's kinda random tbh. Sometimes I can even stay more closer without any problems, sometimes I push someone. And that's a problem for who wants to take maximum advantage possible by draft.

That happens because of the race ping.

Not quite, this phenomenon happens in local races too. The way collision detection works is, cars are updated one by one in a predefined order (the same one as the order of the names in the big black status bar). What this means is that in situations like the one you described, how easily you collide depends on which car is moved to its new position first, the leading one or the trailing one. If it's the latter, the game can detect a collision even if there are as many as 6 pixels between the cars, if the speeds are high.

(Dynamic standings)

power79

Community User Level: 3

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Whiplash wrote:P.S.

Be more specific. I don't see it. You started from position 6 and finished race at position 7, right? "-1" means you lost one position during race.

Carlos Sainz Jr wrote:Good stats Power, but I was wondering if it is possible to add something like how many cars we overtake in a race. It could be a cool statistic in my opinion

I can try, but there should be some kind of rule when overtaking has officially taken place. Like if you get half a car ahead for couple seconds but lose the position back right away, does that count as overtake for both cars? Everyone also "overtook" [$pectre]Jaw$ in first lap because for some reason he doesn't like to start the race at the same time with others. Do you count that?

Oompa

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 1:18 pm

Fine race, got the jump at my main competitors at the start and took a slighty raw look at the front. I was battling T and Eend for some time. Eend magnificent outside move (happy now? You want badschuim to go with it over your face?). Halfway I met T again, and noticed that you can move ahead enough after last turn to make overtake by follower in first and second improbable. I let him go because of Jorm Whip and Juerg, the latter had a nice fight it seems, so they remained well behind. I believe Jurgen called Whip a homosexual.

Halfway through I had an itch on my face. I waited for the straight to scratch but I threw my glasses off by accident. I panicked and had to press my face against the screen and and squint my eyes and wait for a straight to even look where I had thrown them. Then I got them but one leg was folded in so I had to wait again to straighten it and put them on. I went off twice I think and had to drive the remainder of the race with a fingerprint smudge ridden sight like a dirty vizor which made me feel like a gritty racer for once.

Jormeli caught up with me in the end and was much faster on slightly newer tyres. With two laps to go he outbraked himself in turn 1 and went off in 3. Can't say that I felt bad. Jormeli very steady and fast. I think Jormeli is the one to watch for me, also because he is not as visible and/or present like the other two.

Will, you can do this, you need more patience. Carlos, Same. I see many drivers give up or stop concentrating after unfortunates. Don't throw up on yourself. Others will throw up on you enough.

Carlos Sainz Jr

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 2:30 pm

power79 wrote:
Carlos Sainz Jr wrote:Good stats Power, but I was wondering if it is possible to add something like how many cars we overtake in a race. It could be a cool statistic in my opinion

I can try, but there should be some kind of rule when overtaking has officially taken place. Like if you get half a car ahead for couple seconds but lose the position back right away, does that count as overtake for both cars? Everyone also "overtook" [$pectre]Jaw$ in first lap because for some reason he doesn't like to start the race at the same time with others. Do you count that?

I don't know, I thought something like when you effectively gain a position overtaking someone on track with all your car, so not including pits or lapped cars (Jaws' case), but I seriously don't know how much workable it is, I don't want you to spend your time tryin' to do that bro.

Azev wrote:
Carlos Sainz Jr wrote:
(oh, for the info, check my maneuvre to Azev on 2nd lap :p).

I knew you were going to try that on the inside, but still couldn't stop it, well done :D

Yeah, thank you. You did a good job too few turns later from what I remember and then I failed brake on 1st turn of new lap. Let's say a cool mini fight. :D

Also Oompa hahah I loved your post, even tho I didn't get what me and Will could do, but still. :mrgreen:

Whiplash

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 2:56 pm

power79 wrote:
Whiplash wrote:P.S.

Be more specific. I don't see it. You started from position 6 and finished race at position 7, right? "-1" means you lost one position during race.

My mistake. I thought somehow that all those "-" were actually missing number "1" there. Maybe it would be better to write "+0" or "0" there.

Will

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 10:17 pm

This game hates me.
Approaching the 1st corner on the 1st lap I had lag. Can you believe it? Of all the places and times to have lag, it would have to be the 1st f****** corner on the 1st f****** lap! When things got back under control, I was against Carlos, so sorry number one to him.
When i reached the end of the 1st lap, I pressed TAB and saw 3% damage and thought to myself "well, it could have been wors..." BANG!! I crashed into the rear of spectre that was stopped on the main straight.
lesson number 1: Never celebrate to soon.

After spending some laps trying to calculate how much laptime the damage was costing me, I decided to pit. Now with a shinning car I saw 3 players driving offroad ahead of me and thought: " Finally some luck is on my way". But then reality sets in. The game disconnected for about 5 secs and with that the cars ahead of me went crazy, and when the game connected again I was the one stopped against a tree.
Lesson number 2: Never celebrate other people's misfortune.
If that wasn't enough, and while trying to get back on track, I got hit at full speed by a yellow car, still not sure who it was. Really sorry for that and i almost quit there to not keeping ruin other's peoples races. This was on the fastest part of the racetrack and hard to avoid.

Approaching the end, I realized I could get two more places by getting new tires, but only to get stuck behind a group of cars one lap ahead fighting for position, so while i could get faster than them thanks to the new tires i had to sit down and not mess with their fight.
Lesson number 3: Having the tools to be faster doesn't mean that you CAN go faster.

This has been a rough path with four races in a row completely ruined by incidents.

Mike Nike

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Enjoying to read all those reviews, Carlos, Oompa, WILL... :)

@Badeend/Oompa
sick outside overtake by B vs Oompa oO ...0 pixels between you guys, but it felt like you both did not collide. Brave all or nothing "move" by B, paying off. Darn it, the one race i skip to go for 1% lower fuel, fearing to run out of fuel, it would have actually saved my a**... - the driver with the best pace won - i like that :) ...but still: damnit :D

power79

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Race Stats Div 2:
Race Stats(Sandopolis) Div2

Damage Report Div 2:
Damage Report(Sandopolis) Div2

I made a mistake at lap 3 where I should have let Astunce pass me, sorry for that. Otherwise pretty clean race. Having only 7 drivers of course helps a lot with that.

Had tough battle with Zealot until he had disconnection(?) at lap 17 and lost over 20 seconds. After that it was pretty much just cruising for rest of the race.

Badeend

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 6:49 am

Some other stats of the division 2 race: http://lvp-ts.com/races/detail/4761/

Badeend

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 7:10 am

Mike Nike wrote:Enjoying to read all those reviews, Carlos, Oompa, WILL... :)

@Badeend/Oompa
sick outside overtake by B vs Oompa oO ...0 pixels between you guys, but it felt like you both did not collide. Brave all or nothing "move" by B, paying off. Darn it, the one race i skip to go for 1% lower fuel, fearing to run out of fuel, it would have actually saved my a**... - the driver with the best pace won - i like that :) ...but still: damnit :D

Yeah, I really liked that one, especially because we gave each other just enough space.
By the way, I wonder why I'm using so much less fuel; I'm not deliberately lifting and coasting. I could have done it with 87% :o

Azev

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 9:49 am

Will wrote:When i reached the end of the 1st lap, I pressed TAB and saw 3% damage and thought to myself "well, it could have been wors..." BANG!! I crashed into the rear of spectre that was stopped on the main straight.
lesson number 1: Never celebrate to soon.

Ah! So that loud bang was you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I almost got stuck there, a few seconds earlier

Azev

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 9:51 am

Somewhip should make a video with the best moments of each race :mrgreen:

Whiplash

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 10:09 am

Azev wrote:Somewhip should make a video with the best moments of each race :mrgreen:

T has better PC. But, I'd still like to get one new feature in the game by Ande which would allow anyone to create highlightings of any race by one click. I 'll force him to make it in a new version.

Azev

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Azev wrote:Somewhip should make a video with the best moments of each race :mrgreen:

T has better PC. But, I'd still like to get one new feature in the game by Ande which would allow anyone to create highlightings of any race by one click. I 'll force him to make it in a new version.

Well, I was not talking seriously, it's a lot of work.
It should be at the end of the championship, with highlights...

What? That sounds like a pretty nice feature! :wink:

Tijny

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Whiplash wrote:But, I'd still like to get one new feature in the game by Ande which would allow anyone to create highlightings of any race by one click. I 'll force him to make it in a new version.

Buaha, Ande is a programmer, not a magician!

Whiplash

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 2:38 pm

Tijny wrote:Buaha, Ande is a programmer, not a magician!

Nah, he'll implement my idea easily. Let me describe it:
He would simply make that the game can automatically focus the cam on a driver that is in the most interesting situation on the track (highlights), that's all. For example, these two rules should be the base:
- focus on a driver that is the closest to his opponent
- keep the focus 5-10 seconds minimum
(then he can also add some fancy rules too: give some attention to a driver who's visiting pit etc.)
This should work when you're in spec mode and when you're watching replay (I will suggest key "H", which is unusable then).

And, huala, when preparing videos for YouTube, like Shyguy did - you would be spared of all those painful video editing (cutting, merging); you will simply record and upload it. Heu! :wink:

power79

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 pm

So I did my best to create a overtaking stats.

Added stat: Overtakings / Overtaken

I (tried) to remove lapped car overtakes, pit stop overtakes and cases where position is taken back in the next 5 seconds from overtake. Errors are still big possibility. Some cases overtake is noticed only after lap changes so timestamp might be wrong etc.

It's the last stat:
Race Stats(Sandopolis)
Race Stats(Sandopolis) Div2

And a list where you can check all counted incidents:
Overtakes(Sandopolis)
Overtakes(Sandopolis) Div2

edit: Fixed stuff.
Last edited by power79 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tijny

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 8:47 pm

power79 wrote:(Yes, please give me better name. I don't know correct english terminology for this.)]

Overtakings / overtaken. :)

Nice job, but I think I would still be quite interested to see a log that includes the moves that were immediately countered, and whether that just leads to too much noise or if it actually does a good job at showing failed attempts. I guess it's best not to include those in the total number of moves though, like it is now.

Mike Nike

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Nice, power :)
Although as "traffic avoidance" is also kind of a strategy/planning skill, kinda (due to early or delayed pitting or stopping just 1 time instead 2 etc), seeing the amount of lapped cars as info might be nice too. Also interesting might be the laptime influence in laps where you lapped someone or overtook someone or got overtaken by someone.
That might point out who is losing a lot of time when battling or lapping. Last race i lost a second vs Drax, Bade lost nearly nothing vs him. I lost also an additional 0.5sec in next lap just thinking about the lost sec - losing focus -> mistake. That's why i indirectly lost 1.5sec due to Drax.
Although Tijny lost a lot of staying/waiting behind Oompa. Not the first time Tijny could have used a couple diving spots, he skipped and just slowed down behind the car in front, keeping the ideal line, probably just waiting for a mistake or for a good opportunity on a long straight.

@Drax
No hard feelings, Drax...for ignoring blue flag (kind of thx to the spectator, whoever it was, telling DRAX BLUE FLAG)! Unless you had to read the rules and skipped it. But even then: all in all this is a newbie friendly community, i think/hope...

Tijny

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Mike Nike wrote:Although Tijny lost a lot of staying/waiting behind Oompa. Not the first time Tijny could have used a couple diving spots, he skipped and just slowed down behind the car in front, keeping the ideal line, probably just waiting for a mistake or for a good opportunity on a long straight.

As you may know I don't really like "diving" so much, I find it cleaner to try and maximize my exit speed and use the draft on the following straight. Incidentally that's how Oompa got me a few times, and he drove a good pace all in all. But yeah, in the end that battle cost me the chance to stay in contention for something more than 3rd place. Ultimately I don't think it mattered though, because my pace wasn't really good enough anyway.
PreviousNext

Return to Competitions