It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Zoom 2.0 Cars + Shrinked Track Tiles = Big Tracks?

Discuss the various race cars in Turbo Sliders.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Mike Nike

Community User Level: 5

Zoom 2.0 Cars + Shrinked Track Tiles = Big Tracks?

PostThu May 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Today i once again thought about that stuff..
also created a slowish version of the antislider and tested it in zoom 2.0. probably better to drive it with 128 or 256 rotations i have to admit.
anyway, once again im quite too lazy to create small track tiles, according small car+png patterns and build a huge 2kx2k or 4kx4k track with basicly much more space to drive on.

was there a minimum limit the car pattern had to have (32x32)? or could it be 16x16 or lower as well?
either way, 16x16 and being able to create 4 times bigger tracks could be nice.
id kinda like it to have some kinda antislider track which takes a lot of minutes as a challenge/cuptrack or an f1 track, which takes 1min30 to 2 min. im not sure, but maybe using zoom 2.0 might even save ressources = better FPS?

anyone out there who has build those tracks+tiles+cars yet or like to create some?

Whiplash

Re: Zoom 2.0 Cars + Shrinked Track Tiles = Big Tracks?

PostThu May 15, 2014 5:37 pm

If you want 2 min races, you can simply drive my F1-NG-beta car. :P
Yeah, I thought at first that 4000x4000 will give us ability to create 1:1 F1 tracks. But that's still 4x far from it (at least I counted that Monza would need 16000x16000 size).
And, yes, you will safe resources by that trick, but such a track will lose it's visual quality (sharpness).

power79

Community User Level: 3

PostThu May 15, 2014 6:00 pm

I was planning tile scaling feature for my track editor project , but I am now doing other stuff so thats have to wait. But basically if you don't care about resources, easiest way to make tiles smaller is just decrease the pattern files. You can leave image files as they are. Game scales image files down to pattern size automatically, ofc they both need to have same proportions. I don't know why Ande didn't have that feature in the editor. Tiles could have just had "scale factor" property in them and it would have been easy to use different sized tiles. Now you have to always create "new" tile to get them at different sizes.

Note that as the image scale is 2 in the default cars, collision mask size is half (or actually quarter) of the image size. No other sizes but 32 x 32 are currently supported.

I think you can make pretty small cars with that. If you use scale 1 you have half the size of default cars. Although documents say that :
The preferred way to make a car is to make its size 32 x 32 and use scale 2. Use that to avoid problems.

Edit: I guess I could rather easily create program that goes through all tiles and scales down their pattern images and then creates new "tiles.til" file for the smaller tiles?

power79

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 1:26 pm

I made a smaller(half the size) F1-Premium car and also reduced acceleration,braking and grip to half. Then I took TSE_Bruinen track shape and scaled it also to half the size (only pattern file, image file is still 2000x2000). Now if you double your zoom factor it's almost the same F1 experience, just half the size. Collisions didn't work quite perfectly but I made the collision area smaller in mask file and it got a bit better.

So maybe the car is too small for collision algorithms to work perfectly but otherwise this could be fun way to make bigger tracks. New versions 4000x4000 would feel like 8000x8000 normal F1 tracks.

Here's the files so you can test yourself. Track only has the road as I didn't go see the trouble to change all tile sizes etc.

Car:
F1PremiumS.zip

Track:
TSE_BruinenS.zip

Whiplash

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Oh, the result is better than I expected. :) Car and track look nicely. Only tyre marks and smoke effects are too big. Maybe in the future we could ask Ande to support this idea and let us also to customize size of those effects too. :wink: In the next new version we can already just disable them totally.

A bit of-topic... about your TSR_Reader:
Are you able to add there a new option that will allow us to see if a lap time is made by hitting the wall?

power79

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Whiplash wrote:A bit of-topic... about your TSR_Reader:
Are you able to add there a new option that will allow us to see if a lap time is made by hitting the wall?

No. I can't show any information that isn't included in the tsr file. Normal collision laps (c) are shown but there's no way to know if car has hitted wall during the lap.

Return to Cars