It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:57 pm

xS^ The Xtreme Sliders Server - NEWS & INFO thread

Advertise websites, games, projects, etc. HERE.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

WHOA

xS^ The Xtreme Sliders Server - NEWS & INFO thread

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 10:25 am

So, as some of you may have noticed we have a new 24/7 server dedicated to the good old days of TurboSliders.
We'll use this post to keep everybody informed on every change or adjustment made to it in order to have some feedback from the community.
Our goal is to revive the oldschool competitions with the best cars and tracks that made TS the game we all love.

Server name: xS^ OLDSCHOOL SERVER [London]
Server ip: 178.79.187.97
Rules: fair-play (or at least try to)
Cars: Easyslider, Spinner, Speeder, Slider, Antislider
Tracks: balanced mix of old and new tracks, no default ones.
Last update: 20/12/2011

20111207: BEGIN PUBLIC TESTING OF THE NEW RANKING SYSTEM

Have fun and keep posting suggestions! We are looking forward to give you the best oldschool TS experience![/b]
Last edited by WHOA on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:40 am, edited 7 times in total.
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
24/7 OLDSCHOOL Server - 178.79.187.97
whoa@xtremesliders.com

Dide Dide

Community User Level: 2

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Would be nice if u guys organized some default cars cups :D

Like TOTAL SLIDING CUP

iBlaze²

Community User Level: 3

Community User Level: 3

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Awesome, will try to get online tonight for some old-school TSB-F2 action then :)

EDIT: Actually, one suggestion to maybe try out. How about increasing the number of laps to 8 like on the old Terra demo server. I still remember the FTR days on Terra and it worked nicely back then.

WHOA

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Dide Dide wrote:Would be nice if u guys organized some default cars cups :D

Like TOTAL SLIDING CUP

Absolutely! Once the website is up and ready we'll do it.

iBlaze² wrote:Awesome, will try to get online tonight for some old-school TSB-F2 action then Smile

EDIT: Actually, one suggestion to maybe try out. How about increasing the number of laps to 8 like on the old Terra demo server. I still remember the FTR days on Terra and it worked nicely back then.

Well, good idea for a cup, but I don't think it will work for everyday's racing. Many people I've met on servers are complaining even for only 4 laps... ;) maybe we could try it one of this evenings and see..
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
whoa@xtremesliders.com

olio

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Tip: If you want to keep recs interesting, don't give password to Whiplash&comp. Otherwise they'll go and put /laps 100 and start wanking for recs and after that they aren't beatable in normal couple of lap races.

Dide Dide

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 3:32 pm

olio wrote:Tip: If you want to keep recs interesting, don't give password to Whiplash&comp. Otherwise they'll go and put /laps 100 and start wanking for recs and after that they aren't beatable in normal couple of lap races.

true :D

Mike Nike

Community User Level: 5

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 3:36 pm

if so...you shouldnt allow export recs then, though..

Whiplash

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 3:43 pm

olio wrote:Tip: If you want to keep recs interesting, don't give password to Whiplash&comp. Otherwise they'll go and put /laps 100 and start wanking for recs and after that they aren't beatable in normal couple of lap races.

Mike Nike wrote:if so...you shouldnt allow export recs then, though..

And also, you should forbid that someone plays more than once for all time in the future. I already did my job.

Del

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 3:54 pm

@Nike: Few people will do it anyway so it shouldn't be too big a problem. I assume you don't do it on every new server you encounter either.

Tijny

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Del wrote:@Nike: Few people will do it anyway so it shouldn't be too big a problem. I assume you don't do it on every new server you encounter either.
But it only takes one wanker to do so in order for the records to become unbeatable. Best to disallow it from the start.

And @wippe: that is one of the more ridiculous statements I've ever read here.

Whiplash

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Tijny wrote:And @wippe: that is one of the more ridiculous statements I've ever read here.

I'm just trying to be perfectly fair. Olio already liked it. :P

olio

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 4:26 pm

Yes, I liked it for one of the more ridiculous statements ever in here.

WHOA

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Thx for posting, all requests have been fullfilled.
As for the records, probably we'll reset them once we got the new ranking working so no problems.
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
whoa@xtremesliders.com

WHOA

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 9:41 am

First post updated.
We decided to get rid of Easyslider and Speeder, Antislider is back by popular demand, so now we have Antislider, Slider and TSB-F2.
New tracks were added too.
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
whoa@xtremesliders.com

Dide Dide

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 am

the other cars were not used anyway :P

Del

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 11:58 am

Dide Dide wrote:the other cars were not used anyway :P
Just proves you haven't even played on the server. And I think getting rid of Speeder is ridiculous especially if it's done in favour of the default Anti which really is about the most boring car ever. I personally don't like EasySlider much but I'd still rather have it over Anti or even TSB-F2.

Dide Dide

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Del wrote:
Dide Dide wrote:the other cars were not used anyway :P
Just proves you haven't even played on the server. And I think getting rid of Speeder is ridiculous especially if it's done in favour of the default Anti which really is about the most boring car ever. I personally don't like EasySlider much but I'd still rather have it over Anti or even TSB-F2.

1st i like all default cars inclunding spinner :D

The ideia of making an old school server was to restore the concept of racing like they used to race in Terra Servers with default cars and TSB-F2. But really i think that learning to drive Speeder or EasySlider, Spinner or even Slider requires, and since newbies dont even know the car they will end quitting the server which is not good.

Putting default tracks can be fun, but for some people can become anyoing :D they drove billions of laps there especcially the demo tracks!!!

A good way to make people race default cars is by maybe doing a Weekly wank sessions and cups. Ah Team play with 5 players with 5 different cars is also a nice cup.

olio

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Mang, I have to agree with Del! I think the car selection has gone backwards.

Somehow I can't see TSB-F2 as an old school car. To me only old school cars are the default cars, for purists Spinner isn't an old school car. It was nice to drive on the server with Slider, Speeder and EasySlider. Tracks are also nice, but the addition of TSB-F2 made it worse for me personally. Often I saw that "wow, next track had that great IRT on it. It'll be great to drive on it again. Oh, TSB-F2...." It's just not the same. But as it was the only annoying car and I guess that it is/was(?) somewhat popular even in European community, it was ok.

But now, with Anti, TSB-F2 and Slider, the server is basically the same thing over and over again what it has always been. New people don't know how to drive other default cars or sliding cars, they complain, cars are changed and I guess in the end this will be yet another Anti-only server. We've seen the same pattern so many times. And the worst part is that Anti is absolutely terrible car in fairplay racing.

Too bad, I had fun on the server but I don't feel like driving in there anymore.

shyguy1001

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 2:07 pm

To be fair I would say all the default cars are pretty godawful for fairplay racing :P Something like RDP antislider with less bouncyness is actually the perfect car for racing on default tracks in my opinion, and if you want a sliding car I guess easyslider/speeder does the job.. but very hard to not touch in those cars :P

Ivan Drago

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 pm

shyguy1001 wrote:To be fair I would say all the default cars are pretty godawful for fairplay racing :P Something like RDP antislider with less bouncyness is actually the perfect car for racing on default tracks in my opinion, and if you want a sliding car I guess easyslider/speeder does the job.. but very hard to not touch in those cars :P

Mang.. since when is not touching = fairplay? Of course it's very hard not to touch but why should you avoid touching? It's part of the game and not considered non-fairplay when racing with slider (or easy, or speeder, or spinner). Hell, you can touch with anti as well without it being non-fairplay.

For the server, I'd definately go for random anti/easy/spinner/slider/speeder with a track selection including the default tracks + all the other classics like puna's legendary tracks.

olio

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 pm

shyguy1001 wrote:To be fair I would say all the default cars are pretty godawful for fairplay racing :P Something like RDP antislider with less bouncyness is actually the perfect car for racing on default tracks in my opinion, and if you want a sliding car I guess easyslider/speeder does the job.. but very hard to not touch in those cars :P

Yo, you couldn't be more wrong! :D Why Anti is a bad car for racing? One reason is of course that it's slow to accelerate and little contacts give speed to one in front and slow the one behind. The real problem however is, that there is only one good line and that one line is significantly faster than any other line. This is exactly the same with RDP. That combined with the speed&contact problem described earlier leads into impossible overtaking if the driver in front doesn't make a mistake. Believe me, I've been there myself several times as I'm pretty slow with Anti. Being the slow driver with faster one behind, as long as I won't make a mistake it's impossible for the driver behind me to overtake. He only kept giving me a bit more speed. And of course there is also the fact that with side to side contact Anti starts sliding which totally kills the speed. Yes, it's the worst racing car out of default cars and the difference with RDP is basically only in speed, so it's bad also.

However when you take Slider, it's totally possible to take different kind of lines without loosing too much time and that way build up an overtake attempt. I think that Slider is the best racing car but EasySlider, Spinner and Speeder are good too. Little contacts can be dealt without too much problem and the fight can keep on going. Also it is totally possible to fight without contacts, I remember one Slider race with Limp-pu. We switched positions several times over 3-4 laps without a single contact. No mistakes either, it was just pure racing. Do that with Anti. Speeder is actually good race car too, but it requires a lot of skill. I've seen some amazing races between Tijny and dede with that car.

Ivan Drago wrote:For the server, I'd definately go for random anti/easy/spinner/slider/speeder with a track selection including the default tracks + all the other classics like puna's legendary tracks.

+1

WHOA

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 3:21 pm

OK OK, calm down ;)
This is the kind of feedback we want to hear from the community.
Please consider that we are trying a variety of formulas to give you the best possible experience on the server, all the changes we are doing are just tests, so keep posting your complaints about it anytime :)
Btw, this "riot" after the last changes makes me think we were wrong. Oldschool players want oldschool, so we'll put back speeder and easyslider, maybe just leaving anti and tsb-f2 for a while and see how it goes.
We are also spending some time thinking about the type of competition we should host on the server. We are not ready yet cause I'm also trying to implement a new ranking script, so it will take some time before it's ready, but it won't take long.

Thanks for sharing opinions, they are gold.
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
whoa@xtremesliders.com

shyguy1001

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

RDP can be awesome for fairplay as there is more room to make little errors and pick up speed off a corner with throttle control where there isn't in normal antislider.. also longer braking distances = more chance to outbraketry going on the full contact server and pull a nice fairplay pass, it's more rewarding than a rough one! (but don't tell anyone I do it sometimes, it's f*** illegal)

olio

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 4:55 pm

shyguy1001 wrote:RDP can be awesome for fairplay as there is more room to make little errors and pick up speed off a corner with throttle control where there isn't in normal antislider.. also longer braking distances = more chance to outbrake

If those are your criteria for good fairplay car, it seems that Speeder is the best one for the job :D

shyguy1001

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Speeder is fun because if you try and pass, then you set up badly for the next straight and there can be lots of passing/repassing.. but in tracks with technical winding sections it's not fun at all to drive, in my opinion..
Next

Return to Ad Rack