It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:47 am

xS^ The Xtreme Sliders Server - NEWS & INFO thread

Advertise websites, games, projects, etc. HERE.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

WHOA

PostMon Dec 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Updated first post.
Removed default tracks (many players got bored of them), added new ones.
First tests of the new server ranking system.

Cheers,
WHOA
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
24/7 OLDSCHOOL Server - 178.79.187.97
whoa@xtremesliders.com

WHOA

PostWed Dec 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Ok so,
we began the public testing for the new ranking script on the server.
I won't enter in the details here, just an outline of how it works:
basically, after every race, points are given dynamically, based on how many players have raced on the track.
So, for example, if we have 4 players racing, points are given as follows:
1st = 3 pts, 2nd = 2 pts, 3rd = 1 pt, 4th = 0 pts.
The formula is simple: points you get = players - your position at the end of the race.
Moreover, there is also a parallel ranking based on a slightly different system (called xSPts). xSPoints are given in a bonus/malus style, so it's also possible to lose points if you place in the last positions.
xSPts system will be used later to host some competitions on the server, more on this later.
Last but not least, we are collecting some other stats such as how many races you had, how many victories, etc, to try to have more detailed player ratings, mainly to be integrated with the points system. I won't give details on the formulas used here because we are actually testing and changing them on the fly until we'll settle with a solid one.

Note 1: the whole ranking system gets disabled if you race alone, so you won't get any points if you are the only one on the server.

Note 2: records are not displayed by now, however they're recorded as always.

Thanks for testing! We welcome all the criticism and discussion may arise from this test. Nothing it's perfect right now and there may be bugs that need to be fixed. We do it for fun, so just have some races on the server and have fun too :wink:
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
whoa@xtremesliders.com

Whiplash

Community User Level: 5

PostWed Dec 07, 2011 5:15 pm

WHOA wrote:Thanks for testing! We welcome all the criticism and discussion may arise from this test. Nothing it's perfect right now and there may be bugs that need to be fixed. We do it for fun, so just have some races on the server and have fun too :wink:

-F2 car should be removed. It's nothing old school about it. It's just old shit. Just set up all default cars. They are the best.

-The point system is too much based on players activity, which is bad. Somebody could be first by collecting tons of points 1 by 1. So, I suggest you to make somehow that only first 10 race points counts.

-You should give some extra points (not too much...less than 10) for the cup win too, cause now you made that winning cup means nothing, which is kinda bad too.

-You should not show top 20 players. You should show only rank of players who are playing the cup/race. On that way, all players will be able to see their rank. Full ranking should be showed on your website.
For example, lets say that only 3 players are playing. This would be showed:
25. Player1 200pts +0 bla bla
33. Player2 250 pts +2 bla bla
53. Player3 300 pts +1 bla bla

-Also, you should notice that people could not be motivated to play there if only few players are in. So, there should be some possibilities to get extra points even if you're playing alone, or with few more players. So, you could give extra points for each record holding, or something like that.

It's pretty hard to get nice ranking based on skill at first, but for sure, it's better to have any kind of ranking than having nothing. It can be improved step by step. I liked to play there few times, but whenever that F2 shitty shit came, I went out of server. It just looks like a crap and its handling is the same.

WHOA

PostWed Dec 07, 2011 6:43 pm

-The point system is too much based on players activity, which is bad. Somebody could be first by collecting tons of points 1 by 1. So, I suggest you to make somehow that only first 10 race points counts.

While it's true that somebody could be first slowly gaining position one point by another, it's also true that it will require a lot of time doing it. Anyway, that's a good point to be considered.

-You should give some extra points (not too much...less than 10) for the cup win too, cause now you made that winning cup means nothing, which is kinda bad too.

Good idea. I think we could implement it.

-You should not show top 20 players. You should show only rank of players who are playing the cup/race. On that way, all players will be able to see their rank. Full ranking should be showed on your website.
For example, lets say that only 3 players are playing. This would be showed:
25. Player1 200pts +0 bla bla
33. Player2 250 pts +2 bla bla
53. Player3 300 pts +1 bla bla

The stats display will be HEAVILY modified. Right now we are using it only for debugging purposes. The final version will be much more refined and will contain per player ranking, stats and records.

-Also, you should notice that people could not be motivated to play there if only few players are in. So, there should be some possibilities to get extra points even if you're playing alone, or with few more players. So, you could give extra points for each record holding, or something like that.

Good point again. I think that we could give some points for the number of races, but it should have a marginal weight. Just to award the pure presence on the server.

As of F2-TSB, it seems that there are very different opinions in the community, maybe we should post a poll and vote for it.

Thx for posting!
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
whoa@xtremesliders.com

Jan

Community User Level: 3

PostWed Dec 07, 2011 6:50 pm

I don't care about the ranking that much so everything is fine for me. I just play for fun. :D

WHOA wrote:As of F2-TSB, it seems that there are very different opinions in the community, maybe we should post a poll and vote for it.

Yeah go on and post a poll as many people don't like it. I'll vote for removing it.

Whiplash

PostWed Dec 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Also, I think that using number of players for the base of ranking could be really problematic. It's harder to beat 1 or 2 good players than 19 averages.
So, in this situation, some player should just have a luck and join the server when it's full of losers. :wink:
There must be a better solution.

WHOA

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 12:02 am

Whiplash wrote:Also, I think that using number of players for the base of ranking could be really problematic. It's harder to beat 1 or 2 good players than 19 averages.
So, in this situation, some player should just have a luck and join the server when it's full of losers. :wink:
There must be a better solution.

This is true, especially for top rank players. That's why we are developing a formula which takes in account also other performance indicators such as the number and the type of opponents the player encounters during each race.
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
whoa@xtremesliders.com

Respekt

Community User Level: 1

Community User Level: 1

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 12:21 am

booya!

Mike Nike

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 1:37 am

whip said

at the moment its probably not a bad idea to support activity

whip said

if all people know its not about the cupwin, then its no big deal giving no bonus for cupwin..
also people are more likely to join and stay during a running cup - which supports activity..well..on the other side maybe some people would leave a running cup earlier

whip said
-It's harder to beat 1 or 2 good players than 19 averages.

people who would try to play for most rankingtypes would probably start leaving servers if they dont improve in ranking if there are playing too many good players and that kinda sucks. when i drove with janne on gpor and we were the only 2 left in the server it was usually max 1 more race between us and 1 or both of us left then.
i just got an idea though..if you just count the 1vs1 comparisons, like
whip vs dide drove 50 races vs each other, just the last 20 races count and the relation only counts...so for example:
whip vs dide 15-5 it wouldnt count as whip gains 10 pts or something..instead he would be as high in a ranking like if newb-a drove 4 races only yet, all vs newb-b and won 3-1. probably a little activity bonus for whip..
but...that can cost a lot of database-size maybe :S

WHOA

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 9:53 am

Updated first post.
Removed TSB-F2 and added Antislider, now it's all about default cars.

people who would try to play for most rankingtypes would probably start leaving servers if they dont improve in ranking if there are playing too many good players and that kinda sucks. when i drove with janne on gpor and we were the only 2 left in the server it was usually max 1 more race between us and 1 or both of us left then.

Actually, while the "normal" ranking doesn't take in account this situation, the xSPts does. In the case of 1vs1 races, the player who leaves the server is given a -1 point, while the winner takes no points.
But it's not working either. It's far too penalizing for low-rank players that get pushed even lower.
Maybe we could check the ranking of the two players and give points accordingly so that if the spread between the two is high, the loser won't get penalized so much. On the contrary, if the loser is the top ranked player, he'll get a much higher penalty.
I'm just trying to come up with a good balance here.

i just got an idea though..if you just count the 1vs1 comparisons, like
whip vs dide drove 50 races vs each other, just the last 20 races count and the relation only counts...so for example:
whip vs dide 15-5 it wouldnt count as whip gains 10 pts or something..instead he would be as high in a ranking like if newb-a drove 4 races only yet, all vs newb-b and won 3-1. probably a little activity bonus for whip..
but...that can cost a lot of database-size maybe :S

Although this can be made, as you said, it will require a lot of coding, and for a little gain in ranking precision IMHO.
Don't really know what is the best solution, I have to think about it some more time.
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
whoa@xtremesliders.com

Whiplash

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 11:31 am

One more thing. Maybe it will be better if you make a system where we will have number of maximum points. Now, even we have a ranking, we still can't know what's the real speed/skill of each driver. Ranking should allow to good drivers to reach deserved rank easily. Now some pro can win an average driver 50 times, but average will still be on the top (cause he played many races before and he will probably do that in the future too). It will be really hard to solve that.
That's why you should use more fastest laps as a criteria. For example, if someone has record on some track with some car, his race points should be multiplied by 100 (or something). 2nd record holder would have race points multiplied by 95 (or something) etc.
Only summary of top 10-15 points should be counted for each driver.
This will make that people me motivated to play play there even when server is empty. They 'll try to improve their fastest lap base to get more points on some track with some car when there be more players to compete with. :wink:
So, max number of pts could be 100x19 for one track+car, and for overall ranking 10to15x(100x19). Of course, these numbers are just an example. You will easily find the most balanced numbers.

olio

Community User Level: 2

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 12:07 pm

@WHOA. Thanks for the car change. Even though I don't personally like Anti, I think that default cars are definitely the way to go. Good change there, thumbs up.

Whiplash wrote:That's why you should use more fastest laps as a criteria. For example, if someone has record on some track with some car, his race points should be multiplied by 100 (or something). 2nd record holder would have race points multiplied by 95 (or something) etc.

No, no points for recs. It's already annoying enough when for example I'm fighting for a position with some player who's nike, I mean name I wont mention here and instead of the battle he leaves gap only to wank for a rec. Giving points from recs would make some players only to wank. Instead of racing, they would give 20s gap straight from the start to have clear wanking chance. Whip, I know you love the whole rec thing, but I'm in an assumption that this is supposed to be a racing server, not a wanking server.

Also, fastest driver is not the same thing as fastest racer. We've seen this so many times, some people can be sick quick but they lose over and over again against slower drivers simply because they keep crashing. If the server is supposed to be a racing server, there shouldn't be any points given from recs what so ever. Recs should be meaningless.

I don't know anything about coding, but for the actual ranking I think that the kind of 1vs1 ranking that was in puna rank server would be the best bet. I don't know how it worked, but it seemed to take into consideration players skill level, amount of goals (time diff in racing?) and so on. Maybe the change in that could be so that it would only count last 30 days or so. That way you would have to drive constantly to keep your spot up in the rank.

Jan

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 1:52 pm

olio wrote:
Whiplash wrote:That's why you should use more fastest laps as a criteria. For example, if someone has record on some track with some car, his race points should be multiplied by 100 (or something). 2nd record holder would have race points multiplied by 95 (or something) etc.

No, no points for recs. It's already annoying enough when for example I'm fighting for a position with some player who's nike, I mean name I wont mention here and instead of the battle he leaves gap only to wank for a rec. Giving points from recs would make some players only to wank. Instead of racing, they would give 20s gap straight from the start to have clear wanking chance. Whip, I know you love the whole rec thing, but I'm in an assumption that this is supposed to be a racing server, not a wanking server.

Also, fastest driver is not the same thing as fastest racer. We've seen this so many times, some people can be sick quick but they lose over and over again against slower drivers simply because they keep crashing. If the server is supposed to be a racing server, there shouldn't be any points given from recs what so ever. Recs should be meaningless.

Exactly. Please keep at least this server clear of wanking. Wanking in servers where it isn't supposed to happen is the most annoying thing in TS ever.

Whiplash

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 2:11 pm

:) Why people hate wanking so much? Anyway, I just tried to give some ideas. Actually, I don't care if there's wanking or not; I just hate rankings where activity has big influence. I prefer more stable rankings, and that is something that can be reached only with fastest lap counting.
I doesn't necessary means that people will only wank there. If you make good balance between all those numbers, it could work really nicely.

WHOA

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Well, to be honest, I share olio's point of view regarding the record thing.
I think it's quite safe to say that, in today's small community, there's a high probability that the fastest player is even the best one in terms of overall results. It's a small community, where all the top players are long time TS lovers who know everything about every type of car and track. So, there's a huge gap between them and new players that are just approaching the game these days, and I think that this represents quite a steep learning curve to newbies.. They enter a server and all they can do is being lapped repeatedly. And they quit. Forever.

That's why since I began thinking about a new ranking I preferred to have a system based more on presence and steadiness than on records and wanking.
Surely, I'm not pretending that this idea is the best one (this is a spare time project after all) but just a starting point for making TS a little more fun to play, and this is the main reason I'm trying to ask everyone for some help.

Actually, I'm testing 3 different types of ranking, we run the script for less than a week now, so result are not accurate at all, but I'll post some numbers so you can judge by yourself which is the more accurate.

Points ranking (the one you actually see on the server right now):
1. [fS]Palomies 256
2. Haba [PahaJori] 161
3. [x] Whiplash 141
4. [fS]Jan 114
5. [x] Mike Nike 105
6. Kyna_Musti 100
7. [fS]Hevonen 56
8. Ender [PahaJori] 53
9. xS^ WHOA 47
10. [iR] lux 41

xSPts ranking (bonus/malus):
1. [fS]Palomies 80
2. Kyna_Musti 36
3. [x] Mike Nike 33
4. Haba [PahaJori] 25
5. [x] Whiplash 6
6. [fS]Hevonen 5
7. Jr. Cigano 4
8. [fS]Jan 3
9. [+] olio 3
10. [iR] lux 3

xSRtng (an hybrid system, based on presence and race results):
1. [x] Mike Nike 1.000
2. Kyna_Musti 0.847
3. [fS]Palomies 0.815
4. [+] olio 0.764
5. Jr. Cigano 0.750
6. xS^ WHOA 0.734
7. Haba [PahaJori] 0.700
8. [fS]Hevonen 0.666
9. [dp] Ðel 0.625
10. [x] Whiplash 0.602

Different formulas giving different results. Naturally, for the hybrid one, just one week of testing is not enough to be precise, but in the long run I think it will be the most accurate for measuring racing "skills".
I don't know, judge by yourself and tell me what you think, but, please, remember that we are doin it JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT, and that's what TS should be! :wink:
xS^ The Xtreme Sliders
whoa@xtremesliders.com

Del

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Whiplash wrote:Why people hate wanking so much?
Why do you like wanking so much? It's not very social, not very fun...
Actually, I don't care if there's wanking or not
HEHE
I just hate rankings where activity has big influence.
I don't really like it either... But the other choice is a puna-ranking style thing where the top-ranking players will play once a month to keep their rank. One alternative could be a hybrid ranking system (see WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAA's post) with a sufficiently short reset time like 7 days or something. And also: is wanking not activity-based?
I prefer more stable rankings, and that is something that can be reached only with fastest lap counting.
Yeah, NO.
I doesn't necessary means that people will only wank there.
There will certainly be less racing (as olio described).
If you make good balance between all those numbers, it could work really nicely.
A multiplier of 100? Balanced...

Personally I'd prefer no ranking at all but I guess it can bring more activity. I just hope it doesn't turn into another PESOL puna server where the main purpose for most players is ranking, not having fun.

Whiplash

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 7:37 pm

Well, I can just say that if I get feeling that servers counting my visiting, I ll probably stop to play it. Now when you join the server and see that I (for example) have 141 pts, I's just like you're reading how many times I visited the server. So, what's the point of that ranking? You could make that I get few pts whenever I join the server and it will show pretty much the same result.
I don't want to watch how many times somebody joins the server, I want to read his driving abilities from that. So, you should be focused on that. Sure, those are my wishes and you can always say that I'm not that important person here, but I don't think that my wishes are irrational. More relevant ranking will make more activity on the server.
So, it's not about wanking or not. It's about relevant ranking or not. I believe that it's impossible to make such a ranking without including fastest lap criteria, but if you think different - even better. Let's see how good it will be.

Del

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Just thought you'd like to know:
Code: Select all
Dec 09 18:24:01 <xWhiplash>   total missed my point
Dec 09 18:24:16 <Delll>   Why don't you actually say what your point is in the post then?
Dec 09 18:24:16 <olio>   you had a point there?
Dec 09 18:24:25 <Delll>   Would make it much easier for us
Dec 09 18:24:33 <xWhiplash>   I prefer ranking where I play, play, play and then stop
Dec 09 18:24:43 <Delll>   =activity...?
Dec 09 18:24:50 <xWhiplash>   and nothing is changing drastically there anyway
Dec 09 18:25:01 <Ivan_Drago>   if you stop, then you fall out of the rankings
Dec 09 18:25:11 <xWhiplash>   that's what i hate
--
Dec 09 18:35:06 <xWhiplash>   if you some time at your best shape, that result should be only counted
Dec 09 18:35:19 <xWhiplash>   it doesn't metter what place you will get
Dec 09 18:35:22 <Ivan_Drago>   someone translate please?
Dec 09 18:35:43 <xWhiplash>   if you got some time*
Dec 09 18:37:44 <xWhiplash>   you just used the word "stable" literaly
Dec 09 18:38:25 <xWhiplash>   it's stable only from perspective of 1 players, not from all
Dec 09 18:38:34 <xWhiplash>   player*
Dec 09 18:40:04 <Tijny>   but there's no continuity that way
Dec 09 18:40:13 <Tijny>   players will have no incentive to continue after they got good times
Dec 09 18:41:11 <xWhiplash>   that's true, and that's exactly what's cool
Wippe doesn't want an active server. He just wants a server players will drive a good time on once and then revel in the glory of being at the top of the ranking.

And Wippe... Driving ability != wanking ability. Even morely driving ability != wanking ability when players can spend varying amounts of time wanking times for the competition/ranking/whatever.
Whiplash wrote:So, it's not about wanking or not. It's about relevant ranking or not. I believe that it's impossible to make such a ranking without including fastest lap criteria

I believe fastest lap criteria ~= wanking so it is about wanking. Nice contradiction there.

Tijny

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Whiplash wrote:Well, I can just say that if I get feeling that servers counting my visiting, I ll probably stop to play it. Now when you join the server and see that I (for example) have 141 pts, I's just like you're reading how many times I visited the server. So, what's the point of that ranking? You could make that I get few pts whenever I join the server and it will show pretty much the same result.
I don't want to watch how many times somebody joins the server, I want to read his driving abilities from that. So, you should be focused on that. Sure, those are my wishes and you can always say that I'm not that important person here, but I don't think that my wishes are irrational. More relevant ranking will make more activity on the server.

Yes, you're right about this: just adding all the points together is too simple a solution. There should at least be a theoretical limit to the ranking score you can achieve, much like the old Punaball ranking had with the ELO-system, but unlike with the Punaball rank, the points you gather should diminish over time so that people don't reduce themselves to playing once a month to keep their nice ranking score. Also, it should be based on 1vs1 comparisons - beating dede should of course be worth more than beating reirom. Yeah, it's challenging to make a good ranking system, but I believe it can be done.
Whiplash wrote:It's about relevant ranking or not. I believe that it's impossible to make such a ranking if you include fastest lap criteria
I fixed your quote, you had it backwards there.

Whiplash

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Del still trying to get a new rec of his stupidity. All that story wasn't about xS ranking. It was speaking in general; speaking about ranking that TS community still hasn't.

Del

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Whiplash wrote:Del still trying to get a new rec of his stupidity. All that story wasn't about xS ranking. It was speaking in general; speaking about ranking that TS community still hasn't.
You were talking about the kind of ranking system you want which is what you're trying to get on the xS server.

Mike Nike

PostSat Dec 10, 2011 4:19 am

well..in a server where you get points for positions only, fastest laps shouldnt influence the mainranking. it can be a seperate one, as side information.
and if something like fastest lap should count, then probably fastest totaltimes.
also it should be made clear if its about winning a cup or winning a race, so if you are cupleader with x pts lead to 2nd and a good player joins the cup for last race...you arent fighting the good player if its just about the cupwin.
so, if you give pts for cup, you should probably give pts for cupplaces too - i just wonder how to balance it.
i think id rather give people /points 0 0 or something like that (/points 0 1 1 1 1 ...) and just make clear its about the raceresults only and not about the cupresults.

Del

PostSat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 am

From what I gather this server is not all about the ranking. It's just a server which happens to have a ranking script. There's nothing bad about fighting for cup wins and such even if they don't give ranking points.

Jan

PostSat Dec 10, 2011 11:49 am

Mike Nike wrote:i think id rather give people /points 0 0 or something like that (/points 0 1 1 1 1 ...) and just make clear its about the raceresults only and not about the cupresults.

If the server was all about the ranking this would be good, but it isn't. Cup points give some more fun factor to the server as you can fight for cup positions too, not just the race wins. The server should be made to be as fun as possible and then build a ranking system around that (if it's needed at all in the first place). The server shouldn't be modified to suit the ranking in the cost of "fun". This is just my opinion though so the server owner may do whatever he wants. Anyway, for some people rankings and looking fast player to others seems to be more important than having some lighthearted fun.

Whiplash

PostSat Dec 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Jan wrote:Anyway, for some people rankings and looking fast player to others seems to be more important than having some lighthearted fun.

Why all people split those two things. Having fun and fighting for pts is the same thing for me; it can't be separated like you all saying.
Sure, it sounds nice when you say: lets just play for fun and make that server active. But that will not happen. There is needed some extra motivation to join it. Why would I join that server if it's empty? Well, because of ranking. :wink:
WHOA could easily see how activity is improving by his coding. People are just interested to see what's happening there, and while that, we had nice racing.
PreviousNext

Return to Ad Rack