It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Ranking: downloadable videos?

Talk about new ideas for the website.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you think ranking videos should be public and downloadable by everybody?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 15

• Author

dede

Community User Level: 5

Ranking: downloadable videos?

PostSat Nov 10, 2007 2:14 pm

Ok, I've been thinking about downloadable videos for the ranking. What do you think? Public videos would mean no secrets for anybody, but also no doubts about cheats and tricks.

Normally I don't like sharing my videos with other players, but well, if every video is shared, then why not :)

Please give your feedback.
Last edited by dede on Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janne

Community User Level: 3

PostSat Nov 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Well, you already see our videos so why not everyone else as well. Yes.

dede

PostSat Nov 10, 2007 3:05 pm

JTS wrote:Well, you already see our videos so why not everyone else as well. Yes.

Yes, that's another good reason. I'm watching your videos for validating them ;)

Tijny

PostSat Nov 10, 2007 3:35 pm

I agree with Janne for the exact same reason. Also, releasing the videos might give "less skilled" players a general idea of how driving lines work, which could be beneficial for the game.

dede

PostSat Nov 10, 2007 4:50 pm

Ok! Videos are now available for download! Laptimes in bold mean that they have a video associated :) Have fun.

Hengari

PostSat Nov 10, 2007 7:04 pm

Tijny wrote:Also, releasing the videos might give "less skilled" players a general idea of how driving lines work, which could be beneficial for the game.

I have watched some faster drivers' slider and antislider recordings and I still haven't a clue how they can drive so damn fast :D

You can drive the same driving lines but still be slower. Driving lines are just a part of the lap time and learning those (when you're a new driver) is helpfull (how others will drive the next curve so that you can try overtaking) but can also be a negative impact of learning your own lines which can be better (for your driving style).
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

mikko

Community User Level: 2

Community User Level: 2

PostSat Nov 10, 2007 8:03 pm

I do not actually care too much because I prefer to find the lines by myself. But sure this is useful for beginners, as Tijny pointed out. Like a turbo sliders driving school videos. For me these videos will be most useful for checking if any tricks have been used, in which case they will save my time.

Mike Nike

PostSat Nov 10, 2007 9:07 pm

I voted Yes (9-0 results i see, not bad).
Although i am similar to dede, a guy who usually does not tend to share his videos, in case of ts.com it might be the right choice due to already named reasons (dede and other validators can see the videos too; learning effect for new drivers; more skillful drivers for the future (longterm add of the competition)).
Since i've loved to find out the optimal lines by my own in the very usual case...even it sometimes can be nervdesroying... (because else a record doesn't feel as good as usual - you didn't reach it 100% by your own because you've chosen to let yourself help). I actually prefer the way that new players experiment with the turbo sliders physics engine, but when someone asks me for some lines or tricks (a special laprecord video maybe), i still kept on helping him (usually after suggesting to find out by hisself, maybe giving 1 hide which could help him starting)..

Anyway, long story short: the Trackmania Nations eXchange page requires a tsr-video upload (the top 10 records are available for download). Probably though, to honor special laptimes, like Tijnys 21.700 ("normal" lap) in Forestry with Speeder, there could be a special section for videos which show maybe the fastest way to drive a special track in a normal race since bouncing is usually too risky and consequently not the chosen racelap driving line.

dede

PostSat Nov 10, 2007 9:19 pm

Oh, I'd like to point out that bouncing isn't allowed in the new ranking. Please report if any of ranked laptimes are obtained through bouncing. Please report also if you notice some other trick/cheat, so that we can explain if it's allowed or not, and in case remove the laptime/video.

Thanks

Janne

PostSat Nov 10, 2007 10:03 pm

EDIT: (forget)

Mike Nike

PostSun Nov 11, 2007 12:43 pm

Let's think about a special case:
A drivers does not know about the "bouncing is not allowed" rule in that ranking, but is trying to drive a nice laptime with a car, experiments with bouncing and reachs a new laprecord by using at least 1 bounce - he invested a lot of time to improve his lap and his video will be removed after sending it.
What's the best solution?
a) remove his video
b) remove the track (could be a problem/tragedy if the track has been "wanked" already for months or longer
c) solution a) or b), depending on the case (?)

Certainly, if a) is the choice, there should be taken more care about advertising the rule. Maybe already done with 1 warning at the bottom or top of the ranking page and on the bottom or the top of a page where you can send/upload videos? Any better suggestions? Don't know right now...

Jarno

PostSun Nov 11, 2007 12:58 pm

Mike Nike wrote:What's the best solution?
a) remove his video
b) remove the track (could be a problem/tragedy if the track has been "wanked" already for months or longer

d) remove the rule :)
Spinnering on limits...

dede

PostSun Nov 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Mike Nike wrote:What's the best solution?
a) remove his video

a) is the solution.

dede

PostSun Nov 11, 2007 4:07 pm

Ah, another thing. Please edit your videos: push F4 when fastest lap is starting, push F4 again when the fastest lap ends. If you keep on sending 100000 laps videos, I'll have to set a lapnumber limit for each video, so if video is longer than e.g. 3 laps, it won't be accepted.

Try to understand that going through 10000 laps videos isn't easy for me, and it takes quite a lot of time.

Thanks

Return to Suggestions