It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:41 am

Cant brake and turn right at same time

Did you find any bug in TS.com? Report it here!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Afinfas

Community User Level: 3

Cant brake and turn right at same time

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 am

Hey guys,

as the tile says, i want to clear something thats happening to me and probably you have already discussed it so many times but....i cant find anywhere on the forum, even if i havent mde an intensive search i admit.

When racing on F1-Premium practice server (online at least), when i want to brake and press gas and turn at the same time, it only works if i do it turning left. If i want to do the same thing but turning right doesnt work. Is there a solution for this?
I dont really like this way of driving but i noticed that it can be really faster in some parts of tracks and quite some players use it.
Is there a fix for this? Do you get what i mean?

I use the keys ED & UI gas/break Left/right

Let me know when you can...thanks in advance! ;)
"Dont forget to be happy!"

Pingu

Community User Level: 5

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 9:36 am

I had exactly the same with my old keyboard. I just changed my keys to fix it.

Some keyboards can't do all combinations at once

Tijny

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 am

This is not a bug in the game, it's just that your keyboard doesn't support this kind of driving style at least for those particular keys. It's true that some players drive like this (I don't) and it gives them a theoretical edge, but in practice the difference is hardly noticeable, if at all. So my advice is, just stick with the driving style that suits you best.

Mike Nike

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 am

i hear you..
i dont remember if you can probably just use other keys in order to hit 3 at the same time for acc+brake+L/R..
i drive with arrow keys and own a new keyboard which has the same problem.
but im driving turbosliders in 99%+ cases with an old +-20 years old keyboard from benq 6512-va where acc+brake+l/r (3 keys same time) dont result into keyboard errors.

something like..
http://www.compass.com.ru/img.asp?toUID={5782F434-2CEA-4994-A6FD-F83EF1DB71C0}&tpVid=3

just that 3 keys are missing (lol) and some dont work so good anymore..and the shiftkey doesnt work at all...
still..for turbosliders id probably buy just this keyboard again some day...or get it for free lol.

Afinfas

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 am

Ok, i just tried several different key combinations and..... :? Was getting frustrated cause, or it continued with same problem, or switched to the other direction (able to right but not left) or simply didnt worked both directions! :evil:
Finally, after making some compromises i reached a combination that works, hopefully will not affect my performance. So, case solved even though its a strange problem. I even thought it would be because same keys were sometimes assigned to other players as well but not...i changed them all and was still with same prob.

@Tijny Hmmm....i think its a big advantage even though i dont like it as well. It ables you to adjust tragectory without having to break very hard. Or right after you release the break car accelarated immideatly. I think it can give something like 0.300s advantage, except if you know exactly the turning points of the turns then doesnt make any difference i would say but....for rookies can be a big help i recon cause you dont loose so much time correcting mistakes! :)

BTW....im on a laptop so, i cant really change the keyboard except if i buy an external one! :lol:

dede

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 1:10 pm

http://blog.controlspace.org/2010/08/n- ... ow-to.html

Here you can test best combinations easily. It also explains the problem ;)

Tijny

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Afinfas wrote:@Tijny Hmmm....i think its a big advantage even though i dont like it as well. It ables you to adjust tragectory without having to break very hard. Or right after you release the break car accelarated immideatly. I think it can give something like 0.300s advantage, except if you know exactly the turning points of the turns then doesnt make any difference i would say but....for rookies can be a big help i recon cause you dont loose so much time correcting mistakes!
Are you sure? The way I see it, having brief moments of lifting the gas makes for a smoother driving style, making it easier to be consistent to begin with. It also gives you more options to correct your line. For example, if I start accelerating too early in a corner and I have to make a correction after the apex, it's easier to do so by lifting than by braking, because it requires much less precision in my timing. Braking 0.05sec longer than needed has much more severe consequences than lifting 0.05sec longer than needed.

Afinfas

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Tijny wrote:
Afinfas wrote:@Tijny Hmmm....i think its a big advantage even though i dont like it as well. It ables you to adjust tragectory without having to break very hard. Or right after you release the break car accelarated immideatly. I think it can give something like 0.300s advantage, except if you know exactly the turning points of the turns then doesnt make any difference i would say but....for rookies can be a big help i recon cause you dont loose so much time correcting mistakes!
Are you sure? The way I see it, having brief moments of lifting the gas makes for a smoother driving style, making it easier to be consistent to begin with. It also gives you more options to correct your line. For example, if I start accelerating too early in a corner and I have to make a correction after the apex, it's easier to do so by lifting than by braking, because it requires much less precision in my timing. Braking 0.05sec longer than needed has much more severe consequences than lifting 0.05sec longer than needed.

I agree with you in some points. But you forgot to add the case of going on a turn and starting to accelerate to early and then, even if you lift the gas pedal is STILL not enough to avoid going to grass, then you have to break! If you use this technique you can start pressing gas too early and still go on time to reduce speed to avoid a possible visit to grass, if that is the case. Confusing?? :lol:
Its kind of hard to explain but yeah, i see it as a small advantage, specially between rookies. If you know the tracks well then no need for this except on special cases. I use it mainly on the wide and long turns. I see i go to grass even though i release gas then i press break with this technique.

@Dede Thanks for the link mate! ;) Indeed interesting!

Whiplash

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 pm

I found this topic for you. Maybe it could help in some way. :wink:

Afinfas

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Whiplash wrote:I found this topic for you. Maybe it could help in some way. :wink:

Thanks! ;) I guess i was too lazy to make a big search! :D

I did read all the posts and tried all the solutions presented but didnt worked with the key configuration i wanted. I guess i have to get used to the one i have now. Its ok i think, the hard part is to remember which keys are when i start the session (race,Q, preQ) cause i use the same key configurations for all racing games i play! :lol: So on this will be different....

But i have a feeling that its from TS and not from my keyboard, or maybe a combination of both...

EDIT: This is great to test the Keyboards! Thanks DEDE! ;) http://www.microsoft.com/appliedscience ... gDemo.aspx

Mike Nike

PostSat Nov 17, 2012 4:13 am

cant resist..

dede wrote:http://blog.controlspace.org/2010/08/n-key-rollover-what-it-is-and-how-to.html

"Aqua Key Test"

"Aqua Key Test is a GUI application that shows an on-screen keyboard indicating the key presses that are being recognized after you throw a bottle of water over the keyboard. This is a small standalone executable that comes from Korea."

okay..let's try this...

Afinfas

PostSun Nov 18, 2012 8:08 am

Hmmm...so as i said before. EDUI (Gas,break,left, right) doesnt work on TS with my keyboard as well as in another independent racing game. But works in all the others i´ve been playing, NSGP inclusive!
So what i assume is, its not from my keyboard limitations (cause it works on NSGP) but from the programming language.
NSGP is made on Blitzmax and TS i dont know...so maybe Blitzmax supports this and TS programming language dont!!?

Hmmm, just wanted to share my thoughts on it.

See you later guys fro one more race, this time at 18:30! Hopefully i can reach main race! :D

Scud

PostSun Nov 18, 2012 8:15 am

Had same problem before. Changed keys from default to Q=acceleration, A=brake, ;=left and :=right... works now.
~siLciR <3~

Return to Bugs