It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:35 am

[Community Servers] Cups&Management

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

dede

Community User Level: 5

[Community Servers] Cups&Management

PostWed Jun 20, 2007 8:00 pm

Community Server:
The idea of a "Community Server" comes from the lack of good servers available to host organized cups: many players would like to organize a cup/tournament/season, but in most cases they don't have a good server to host them, or they can't even host one. Thanks to these "Community Servers" players don't need to have a good connection to be able to organize a cup. You take care of cup organization, Community Servers' administrators will take care of running the cup for you.

Server's details:
Max Players = up to 16/20 -> 100mbps connection
Hosters = Philippe, JollyGoodGames, Kanedaaa, Kajaani
Location = Belgium, USA, Poland, Finland
Current administrators = Philippe, dede, Jan, Mouse, Kyna, olio, BluT, stummihouse, Jeffrey, Kovalainen, Storm, Keppana, iBlaze, Scud, xzeal, siLciR, Mor, lux (and some others i forgot to mention..)
Current cup organizing administrator = dede

How to host a cup/tournament/season on the CS:
In order to host a cup/tournament/season on the Community Server, you have to contact the cup organizing administrator to discuss about rules, planning, and cup details. An administrator will come to adjust settings for your cup, some minute before it's supposed to start OR you will be temporarily added as administrator (please read "How to administrate the server" if you get temporarily admin pass).

How to administrate the server:
First of all, remember that everything you do is saved into logs. This means that if you kill the server or if you misuse admin powers, you will be discovered and punished.
In order to log in as administrator you have to type "/admin YoURpaSsWoRd" (cAse SenSItIve!). Once you logged in, remember that it's not your own server, so take care of resetting server settings after hosting your cups (normally a /restart would do that).
There is a command that kills the server (/quit), so it's forbidden to use it in any servers for any reason. If you kill a server, it takes up to some days to get it back, so you are creating a big problem.
Community Servers have a default banlist which is loaded at every restart. You are not allowed to clear bans for any reason. Players in that banlist aren't allowed to join the servers, not even in custom cups.
Administrators can't use their powers in order to ban players basing on their own criteria: we have common rules and criteria to be applied. Especially newcomers should always receive a warning before getting banned.

Available sources:
Sources can be executed using the command /source <sourcename>. If you want to change tracks, you have to take care of running the source before cup start (if cup is started already, then use the /restart command). Eventually you can switch the autoserver to manual mode using the /autoserver 0 command. Please remember to switch it back to autoserver (/autoserver 1) before leaving.

help -> lists all available sources

Currently we have two versions of the source system and community servers trackpack. Community Server [BEL] and Community Server [FIN] have the new pack, others keep the old one.
Last edited by dede on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:13 am, edited 34 times in total.

wazaari

Community User Level: 3

PostThu Jun 21, 2007 2:30 am

finally a good thing!!! gj
[url="http://www.pokerstrategy.com?referrer=wazaari"]Impara a giocare a poker avvalendoti gratuitamente delle strategie ed incassa il bonus da $150 di PokerStrategy![/url]

Mouse

PostSun Jun 24, 2007 9:32 am

My quick review on this new server:

20 players, no lag.

:D

Mike Nike

PostMon Jun 25, 2007 7:17 pm

First of all: nice summarize there, dede. Good work!

Just drove around 3 or 4 AntiSlider cups on y4nnick's server a 10 races...
Had to stop because my shoulder is aching too much due to sitting strange because of constant fast driving^^

Well..warps/lags nearly no ones.
A problem was partly: the usual nonghost thing, Jarno talked about.
Even the rule is superfair racing, you can have a few drivers which do race rough or don't let you pass again when they push you out or crash in front of you...or they drive too rough in the mass in first curves and cause billard effects (cars in fronts get pushed out).
In addition the order by race results is ok - but on the other hand the first race can decide the cup already, because it is a lot easier to win races from 1st position if you block cars behind in 1st curve(s) in case of no rough racing around. It took me a few races to find out ;) (finally when i "wanked" a good lap and got place 11).

Anyway, good server!

dede

PostTue Jun 26, 2007 5:58 am

y4nn1ck server has those settings in order to have more racing activity. Admins can ban those who don't race properly, but only if they are there while rough racing is happening. Another way would require someone sending the video about that rough racing, but it's not possible banning people forever.
I had some good cup there also with antislider which I don't like because of its roughness: it's always about who's playing. Maybe I'll publish more info's about rules and "how to behave" in y4nn1ck (superfair = f1 style -> trying to avoid ANY TYPE of contact).
I'm not planning to change anything in y4nn1ck server (or maybe just cars settings).

wazaari

PostTue Jun 26, 2007 6:08 am

Just an advice, super fair driving is impossible unless u ban 50% of players!!!
[url="http://www.pokerstrategy.com?referrer=wazaari"]Impara a giocare a poker avvalendoti gratuitamente delle strategie ed incassa il bonus da $150 di PokerStrategy![/url]

dede

PostTue Jun 26, 2007 6:16 am

wazaari wrote:Just an advice, super fair driving is impossible unless u ban 50% of players!!!

That's not a problem, at least for me. When I'm racing there, I want that people respect rules. If they don't, then they can go playing somewhere else.

Tijny

PostTue Jun 26, 2007 6:21 am

wazaari wrote:Just an advice, super fair driving is impossible unless u ban 50% of players!!!
So what exactly is the advice, that he should do it?

Mouse

PostTue Jun 26, 2007 10:25 am

"Fair driving" is different in many player's minds, i think.

Passing with 0 contact is VERY hard to do, most players don't try it. I don't know most people's style, so i try to race them as they race me. Example:

When racing someone like Tijny, Mike Nike.. or some other very fast and clean driver, i will try to pass him without contact. Usually very very hard of course. When racing an unknown driver, i will try to find his passing style (if he pushes others to pass, i will nudge him in the turn).

For me, rough racing =

- Pushing a car totally off it's line. Causing another car to slide across track.
- Blocking a car who has a run (or if coming back onto track, blocking another car).
- Not letting a person pass after you crash in front of him.

Last night there were some people who got me a bit annoyed. Some drivers were always going to finish at the back... but in the first lap they pushed anyone to try to get to the front.... and then there is TOE! lol... i think he never completed 6/6 laps.... :P

All in all, i cannot complain too much, because seeing TS the past few nights... how can anyone say it is dead? :D LOVING these loaded servers!

olio

Community User Level: 2

PostTue Jun 26, 2007 10:29 am

After some weeks, if y4nn1ck stays as active server as it is now, maybe we could try out for some days driving only with Easy in there? If people won't like it/driver amounts decrease a lot, then back to Anti. Personally I would prefer Slider (as would some others too), but I know that there is lots of players that hate Slider. But maybe Easy is more neutral car. With Easy non-ghost racing would be better. Minor contacts aren't so crucial and more of different kind of lines can be used in order to overtake. If driver in front won't make mistakes, overtaking without contacts by Anti is really really hard, imbossible if he blocks even little. And another thing that I don't like about Anti, is that when I make a mistake, driver(s) behind suffers from it a lot.

mikko

PostTue Jun 26, 2007 11:54 am

How about voting for the next car after each cup, like at the demo server? Is that technically feasible at y4nn1ck?

About superfair rules, nice idea while a bit naive. Sounds good on paper but bad on hot action. Practically impossible in crowded races. Furthermore, trying to drive superfair easily draws focus out of the race itself. I find tight (fair, not superfair) fights for positions, with the side effect of inevitable accidental contacts, much more enjoyable. Pushing and blocking on purpose should be forbidden, of course.

If all contacts are to be avoided, then why not shift to ghost? In the case of anti, that might not be so bad idea, I think.

I'm very glad to see so much action at the servers. Let's hope this marks the beginning of a new era of TS.

wazaari

PostTue Jun 26, 2007 1:38 pm

Tijny wrote:
So what exactly is the advice, that he should do it?

dunno, i don't care very much but i think that in the comunity server there shouldn't be rules decided by few people!!
When i started playing there were servers full of people and great fun.

It is so stupid to think to have 0 contacts.
Contacts are part of the game and part of the fun (otherwise u can use ghost mode)
Anyway that just an my opinion.

dede

PostTue Jun 26, 2007 1:58 pm

AntiSlider = easiest car to drive for newbies, not much gap in races, more funny for them

Non ghost = otherwise newbies won't have fun

Non rough = if people want to play it, then they can just set up their server with different rules

Superfairplay racing = I will explain what I mean by that when I'll have some free time

y4nn1ck server and Community Server aren't servers provided by JGG/Ande, so they have to be considered private servers. About y4nn1ck, it will remain a racing server, so no rough racing (and actually, players have to learn how to behave in the server).

Limp-pu

Community User Level: 1

Community User Level: 1

PostTue Jun 26, 2007 5:24 pm

I vote vote

short cups (5tracks) with the possibility to vote the car in the beginning would be great. In that way majority would get the car that they want. People coming in the middle of cup would sometimes have to drive other cars than anti for a race or two, which wouldnt be too bad, since then they could learn some handling of other cars too.

off course, having an admin do things all the time is the bestest.

ghost is just pure nothingness against non-ghost. It's sort of a wanking. with many players and non-ghost there are always problems with first-curve-chaos and differently skilled players playing by different "rules". Thats just natural, and I can't understand why people can't adapt to that. it happens, no bic deal. Just do your best what comes to fairness.

Many players is naturally nice, but it's not nessecerity for a good cup. Best slidercups I've had with 2 to 6 closely equally skilled drivers. People seems to think that a server with only 4 or so players is allmost as empty.
People want full servers and "no crash"-races both in the same time which is impossible unless all are pros. life is hard: you just cant get it all :)

dede

PostSat Jun 30, 2007 6:34 am

Community Server will host Ippon Racing Tournament on Sunday July the 1st @ 18:00 CET
Administrator: dede

Community Server will host [Swoot] XBUMPZ Tournament on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (2nd, 3rd, 4th July) @ 18:00 CET
Administrator: Jan

Tijny

PostSat Jun 30, 2007 6:39 am

dede wrote:Community Server will host Ippon Racing Tournament on Sunday July the 1st @ 18:00 CET
Shite, that time doesn't suit me at all... oh well, have fun then I guess.

dede

PostFri Jul 06, 2007 10:24 am

Community Server will host Ippon Hot Laps Cup
(link) on Sunday (8th July) @ 19:00 CET
Administrator: dede

dede

PostThu Jul 12, 2007 2:41 pm

I won't be home from Saturday 14th July to first days of August. If you want to organize a cup in this server, please contact Mouse or some other administrator.

dede

PostMon Aug 13, 2007 4:25 pm

Community Server will host the whole International Toca Tournament (2nd Edition) -link- and -link-. This is the calendar:

RACE 01 - 26/08 - 6 p.m CET
RACE 02 - 29/08 – 9 p.m CET
RACE 03 - 01/09 - 6 p.m CET
RACE 04 - 04/09 - 9 p.m CET
RACE 05 - 07/09 - 9 p.m CET
RACE 06 - 10/09 - 9 p.m CET
RACE 07 - 13/09 - 9 p.m CET
RACE 08 - 16/09 - 6 p.m CET
RACE 09 - 19/09 - 9 p.m CET
RACE 10 - 22/09 - 6 p.m CET

Only signed up players can take part to the tournament. Administrators are allowed to kick those who didn't sign up. Please understand that if you are driving in the server, you might be kicked when admins will start to prepare the server, if you're not signed up.

dede

PostTue Oct 09, 2007 5:09 pm

dede wrote:...but it's not possible banning people forever...

Edit: now it is. We already have the first winner of this contest: Kometen got a permanent ban to the community server, and a ban in any other server when administrators are connected (any type of game, with any type of rule, at any server).

Just a little advice to newcomers: buying a license allows you to join public servers. But since those servers aren't directly hosted by JGG and they aren't supported with the money you paid for the game, if your behaviour doesn't suit server rules, you will be banned from online racing.

This is just to avoid players complaining like "I bought a license and now I can't even play in servers".

I'm personally battling against idiot behaviour in servers while other players are having fun, and continuing behaving in that way would mean war. War won't last till you will quit the game.

Jeffrey

Community Server Request

PostFri Oct 26, 2007 6:30 am

I would like to know what is the possibilty that TSM uses the community server for our local championship.

Our local championship, has just started. We race every thursday on and off (every 15 days) from 9:30 pm till 11:30 pm. We are a maximum of 16 drivers on track and at the moment we are using a university server.

But these last two races we had some lag, which was really disturbing for some moments.

I am asking what is the possibility that our next race on the 8th of November we use the community server if it is available and no cups are booked. Then if we find that the server is ok for us, would like to ask a further question and see what is the possibilty that we use that server on thursdays from 9:30 to 11:30, again if no cups are already booked.

I'm just asking.

Ivan Drago

PostTue Dec 18, 2007 3:49 pm

dede wrote:Kometen got a permanent ban to the community server, and a ban in any other server when administrators are connected (any type of game, with any type of rule, at any server).

Overreacting. Banning for a while is ok but this kind of action is misuse of admin rights.

Hengari

PostTue Dec 18, 2007 3:54 pm

Ivan Drago wrote:
dede wrote:Kometen got a permanent ban to the community server, and a ban in any other server when administrators are connected (any type of game, with any type of rule, at any server).

Overreacting. Banning for a while is ok but this kind of action is misuse of admin rights.

You see, there is no place for humour in this game or in this forum. Jajajajajajaja.

Anyways, I also think that permanent bans are not good. This is not like you mod you friking Xbox 360 and got to buy a new one to get back to Live. There also should be some list of bans and reasons for those.
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

dede

PostTue Dec 18, 2007 6:13 pm

List of bans:
Kometen - IP+Range - banned on Community Server, Community Server 2 (coming soon, with new Ranking Server), Pesol, TheDude, y4nn1ck (manual ban). Reason: player drives backwards and has a lame behavior (reason for all servers). Player isn't a good example for newbies, and he's totally lame towards them (TheDude). Server hoster decided for his ban, otherwise he would just close all servers (Community Servers).

I don't agree as well on permanent bans, since players can change and notice that their behavior was bad. Usually I'm giving a second, third, fourth chance, trying to explain why player got banned. If player just thinks he can do whatever he wants, and he doesn't want to understand that his behavior is inappropriate, a permanent ban is the solution (expecially if it's directly required by server hosters - I don't want to loose the best server ever because of a mongoloid). License means online games also, but it doesn't allow you to play in a certain server. If you're not welcome, you just can't complain. Even if hosters ban you for unknown/stupid reasons. Just set up your own server and play.

Have fun, byebye.

Ivan Drago

PostWed Dec 19, 2007 5:18 am

Ridiculous. You are placing yourself above us others here. Like you were somekind of god who decides who plays and who doesn't.
Next

Return to General Discussion