Turbo Sliders 2.0.0 Beta

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Turbo Sliders 2.0.0 Beta

Post by Ande » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:25 pm

All right, it is time to release the first 2.0.0 version for beta testing. As mentioned before, old track records won't be valid any more. Player IDs will also be regenerated. It might be a good idea to install this on a new clean directory or at least back up your 1.0.x installation before installing 2.0.

I would be surprised if there weren't any major compatibility issues. Don't panic, just report them here and I try to fix them. The game tries to use a higher resolution by default so it may cause lag on older machines. You can report about that and tell if lowering resolution helps. TS 1.0 used always DirectX which caused alpha blending to be slow. TS 2.0 uses windib by default and alpha blending is not slow any more. On the other hand, graphics may not be hardware accelerated which may cause problems to some. Just let me know about any such problems and tell if switching to DirectX or lowering resolution or anything helps. Remember to tell me the specs of your machine. OpenAL libraries have also been updated, tell me if it misbehaves with your sound card.

UPDATE: Latest version is now rc5. This version is compatible with rc3 and rc4 but upgrading is recommended. The main thing in rc4 was OpenGL support and in rc5, the game tries to use maximum framerate for a smoother gameplay. (To disable this feature, set Smooth FPS off in graphics settings.)

If you have problems, please report them here and tell which computer you have (OS, processor, amount of memory, video card) and what F10 tells during a race.

UPDATE: rc6 now fixes some track loading problems. Update is recommended both for clients and servers. It is still compatible with rc3-rc5.

UPDATE: rc6 will be the final 2.0.0. Here are the official download links:

For Windows:
http://www.turbosliders.com/download.php?type=win

For Linux:
http://www.turbosliders.com/download.php?type=lnx
Last edited by Ande on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:42 pm

Here is the list of new features:

- Track restrictions removed from the demo version
- Game engine improvements: smoother network game and more accurate lap times
- New track record format and directory, old players and records not valid any more. Old player data can be imported but a new id is generated.
- Support for total conversion mods (read README-totalmod.txt)
- New server script options (/source and /cmd, read README-autoserver.txt)
- Track loading always done using a fixed scale. No need to test tracks with different resolutions any more. To disable this feature, set UseFixedLoadScale to 0 in sliders.ini (not recommended).
- Start positions can be freely adjusted
- You can make Single Lap Tracks meaning the last control line specifies the finish line and only one lap is driven
- New view modes in editor: Terrains and Full View
- Random start mode added, added command /startmode [0|1]
- Added command /demoplayersallowed [0|1]
- A track can be selected multiple times in tracks menu by holding Shift.
- It is possible to kick spectators by IP and define how many spectators are allowed with /spectatorsAllowed, /who also lists spectators
- Fixed sticky Alt after Alt+Tab
- Tracks can have gravity (to enable for example space ship races or battles)
- Automatic support for more resolutions, including widescreen ones
- Cars of disconnected players are stopped
- Added command line parameter -capture <n> which saves the first n seconds of recordings as bmp files in directory capture
- Command /continue always restarts the server in Cup End mode
- Fixed editor sometimes showing a new tile in a slightly inaccurate position
- Updated libraries, using DirectX is now optional and not default

UPDATE:
- OpenGL support.
- Smoother non-fixed FPS.
- Track loading bugs fixed.
Last edited by Ande on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Etmil
Community User Level: 3

Post by Etmil » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:14 pm

Somebody should create some new TS2 servers for us, cause I can't and it's impossible to connect to older ones. (Invalid protocol version, server is older or newer than client).

Badeend
Community User Level: 1
Community User Level: 1

Re: Turbo Sliders 2.0.0

Post by Badeend » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:41 pm

I found some kind of movement bug. To make it a bit more clear, here's a video:

http://rutger.lvp-media.nl/ts/2008.09.0 ... naring.tsr

When you drive in an angle (top-right to bottom-left or reversed) the car is moving too much sidewards. In the angle top-left to bottom-right everything is fine. I'm just driving forwards and backwards without any steering.

Mouse
Community User Level: 5

Post by Mouse » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:26 pm

The newer resolutions are not working with my monitor, so I'm still stuck with window mode (I'm using a big TV, so high res needed... cannot read text..).

Anyway, I'm going to actually play now. :) I'll post later with my feedback.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:08 pm

very nice job, Ande. :) From what I have tested so far I'm very happy. I tested a track with all custom start spots (5 rows of 4), and ran it with 20 bots. They still work fine, I saw no problems. Random start mode, is a very simple new feature, but I think it is one of the best of 2.0, great!

This total mod stuff is going to take some time for me to understand, I think... i checked out the readme file and did not understand. :) But what it can do, seems pretty cool.. and eventually I'll dig into it.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Badeend wrote:I found some kind of movement bug. To make it a bit more clear, here's a video:
Thanks for finding this even though I would have been happier if it wasn't there :). Fixing this will probably require changing game engine code and invalidate records once again.

xzeal

Post by xzeal » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:44 pm

I hope I never wake up from this dream...

EDIT: Ok I woke up, seems that my players list is too long?

I get the error "invalid player store line: ningen"

"ningen" was my 23.rd nick in the list, deleted it and then it just said the same about the next one.

So do I have to pick my 22 favourite ones and delete the rest? That won't be a problem, but... you know I heart my nick list.

dede

Post by dede » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:03 pm

Badeend wrote:In the angle top-left to bottom-right everything is fine.
Hmm, doesn't seem so. I tried in minileap, and the problem is everywhere (in some places it's more visible, in other it's smaller).

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:07 pm

xzeal wrote: I get the error "invalid player store line: ningen"
That should have nothing to do with having too many names. Have you manually edit the file somehow? It seems that lines are off-sync. I mean, every other line must contain a name and every other the other data. It tries to read all other data from a line that contains just ningen and fails.

The new version can read players.dat file but it saves the data as players.da2, generating a new random id and placing a couple of hash values to the end of each data line.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:09 pm

And yes, the odd movement bug is everywhere. I am currently trying to figure out how to fix it.

Jarno

Post by Jarno » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Some noticing:
- Race commentary sounds are missing, were those removed?
- Starting lights change differently, it put all three light at the same time and then remove those when start is, bug or feature?
- Networking didnt work at all... server-list, making a server and so on. It tried to connect or smt but nothing happened and then game couldnt be stopped :S Very weird stuff

Ps. I'm very pleased that now i can use all the graphics i want and game runs smoothly :) So long SDL!
Spinnering on limits...

dede

Post by dede » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Jarno wrote:- Starting lights change differently, it put all three light at the same time and then remove those when start is, bug or feature?
That seemed quite odd indeed, but it's a feature: this way players know when start mode is normal and when it's random.
Jarno wrote:- Networking didnt work at all... server-list, making a server and so on. It tried to connect or smt but nothing happened and then game couldnt be stopped :S Very weird stuff
Check your firewall. Network game works, as far as I know :P

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Jarno wrote:- Race commentary sounds are missing, were those removed?
They aren't missing, it's just that the default sound effect settings are very quiet, you just need to turn them up a notch. :)

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Regarding the Editor: maximum track size is still 2000 by 2000. If i read well it should be increased to 4000 by 4000.

Hope it was not a dream :roll:

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:45 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Regarding the Editor: maximum track size is still 2000 by 2000. If i read well it should be increased to 4000 by 4000.

If you had read it even better, you would have known that it was only for total modifications.

Janne

Post by Janne » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Regarding the Editor: maximum track size is still 2000 by 2000. If i read well it should be increased to 4000 by 4000.

Ande wrote:I also made it possible to make a total modification support bigger tracks (2000x2000 -> 4000x4000).

dede

Post by dede » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:48 pm

I noticed what's wrong with nickname conversions. Since comments are now enabled on players.da2, players starting with '#' are considered comments. I tried to convert players.dat with '#dede' as one nickname, and I exactly had the same problem xzeal reported. Probably you can solve that by:

1) adding a space before the nickname if it starts with'#' (conversion from players.dat)
2) adding a space before the nickname if first character is '#' (new player, ingame - otherwise the player is cleared after the restart)

xzeal

Post by xzeal » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:13 pm

dede wrote:I noticed what's wrong with nickname conversions. Since comments are now enabled on players.da2, players starting with '#' are considered comments. I tried to convert players.dat with '#dede' as one nickname, and I exactly had the same problem xzeal reported. Probably you can solve that by:

1) adding a space before the nickname if it starts with'#' (conversion from players.dat)
2) adding a space before the nickname if first character is '#' (new player, ingame - otherwise the player is cleared after the restart)
Damn you stealing my thunder, I just came here to say the problem was nick nr. 21 "#32xzeal" I deleted that and everything was fine.

dede

Post by dede » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:36 pm

We had a problem with custom car downloading. After downloading the track (while the server was hosting a race), we reconnected, but we kept seeing EasySlider. I tried to move the car to main car folder, but that didn't help. Offline it worked, online we kept seeing easyslider (except the hoster). Later, I tried to host with that car, and nobody had problems. Weird.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:04 am

I'm not able to play online either, same problem Etmil spoke of.

Also, I went out and bought a new monitor finally. It's been hard to use an HDTV for so long.. been wanting a normal PC monitor.. the widescreen resolutions of TS 2.0 have made me go a buy a new monitor..... :) It's greeeeeat!

And, my problem with playing in full-screen mode has gone. woo Ande.

EDIT:

I'm not able to make bots for point-to-point (single lap) tracks. AI Record mode does not record the first lap driven (taken from a dead start), so Ande, could you allow it to record the first lap on one-lap tracks?

I made a track to test, and recorded 4 laps.. but it did not work. Then I realized that it's not possible. Yet? :)

Jeffrey

Testted so Far

Post by Jeffrey » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:23 am

TESTED SO FAR:

Wide Screen Resolution - Worked Great on my 22" wide monitor.

Different Starting Grids - Worked Great

Total Mod - I managed to make a test mod using an image track of 4000 by 4000. It worked just great and loaded in a couple of seconds.

Sounds - Worked normal for me.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:19 am

Mouse wrote:
I made a track to test, and recorded 4 laps.. but it did not work. Then I realized that it's not possible. Yet? :)
Yes, it is a known issue that you can't really do that easily. What you can do is first save the track as a normal track, then make AI lines. Then, change the track to SingleLapTrack and save it again. You must then open the AI line file and change all TrackHash lines (there may be several of them) to use the correct hash. Not easy or convenient but maybe you can give it a try...

Not being able to connect probably was due to not having any 2.0 servers around, right?

Not loading names starting with # was a bug, too. I may fix it so that only the first two lines may contain comments.
Last edited by Ande on Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dede

Post by dede » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:23 am

Ande wrote:Not being able to connect probably was due to not having any 2.0 servers around, right?
Right, autoservers will be probably converted when a stable version will be released.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:41 pm

A new version has come:

(Link removed since a newer version was already released)

This should fix the movement bug and not being able to have # in the beginning of a player name. I also removed the possibility of a name to start with a space.

Fixing the first bug required to make bigger changes to the game engine and thus, previous version track records were invalidated again. I hope this was the last time this had to be done.

Players playing the previous version (rc1) and the new version cannot join each other's games so anyone still having rc1, please upgrade before playing.
Last edited by Ande on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.