Turbo Sliders 2.0.0 Beta

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dede
Community User Level: 5

Post by dede » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Hengari wrote:Try to release a Linux version also :)
True, at least a "autoserver" version, so that we can convert all remaining 1.0.8 autoservers.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 pm

Jazzy and others had good feature request again but I really can't add anything new any more or the new version will never be finished. The new smooth FPS feature will be optional but on by default unless it proves to have problems with many. And yes, I try to make a Linux version once the Windows version is finished.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Latest version is now rc5. This version is compatible with rc3 and rc4 but upgrading is recommended. The main thing in rc4 was OpenGL support and in rc5, the game tries to use maximum framerate for a smoother gameplay. (To disable this feature, set Smooth FPS off in graphics settings.)

If you have problems, please report them here and tell which computer you have (OS, processor, amount of memory, video card) and what F10 tells during a race.

(Link removed since a newer version was released)

And an experimental Linux version was released too, I will open a new thread about it.
Last edited by Ande on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scud
Community User Level: 3

Post by Scud » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:42 am

Wow...This version works great! I had some performance issues before(AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core +4400, 2 GB DDR2 RAM & GeForce 7900gto 512mb) but now it runs smoother than ever...almost too smooth. Thanks, rc5 works great!
~siLciR <3~

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:18 pm

I think it would already be a good time to start switching old servers to 2.0. Unless big bugs are found, rc5 may already be the final version or very close to it. When 2.0 becomes officially released, it would be good to have as many servers as possible so that new players find places to play in. Personally, I try to make the Linux version work with US servers. How about other 1.0.8 servers like TheDude TS Server, Punas Antislider Cup, Punaball server, Terra servers etc.? Are the admins reading this or can anyone contact them?

dede

Post by dede » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:30 pm

Ande wrote:Personally, I try to make the Linux version work with US servers. How about other 1.0.8 servers like TheDude TS Server, Punas Antislider Cup, Punaball server, Terra servers etc.? Are the admins reading this or can anyone contact them?
About those US servers, it might be a good idea to set up also FTP access for using them, since nearly nobody plays there nowadays.
I talked to TheDude some weeks ago, and he is planning to upgrade the server. It might take some time because he wanted to upgrade his statistics system too.
The PunaBall autoserver is ready to be converted as soon as you release a linux version with static libraries.

Hengari

Post by Hengari » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:40 pm

dede wrote:a linux version with static libraries.
Why do you need a version with static libraries?
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:40 pm

I will test rc5 later today.

Ande when you have a track with a diagonal start and we set the first control point, we can rotate that using a command.

But that just rotates the grid. The start/finish line is not perfect has it can be either totally horizontal or vertical.

Is that demanding to fix for this version?

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:01 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Ande when you have a track with a diagonal start and we set the first control point, we can rotate that using a command.

But that just rotates the grid. The start/finish line is not perfect has it can be either totally horizontal or vertical.

Is that demanding to fix for this version?
From what I gathered, that would require Ande to rewrite the entire control point system, so I don't think it's too realistic at this point. But maybe he can confirm that here himself. :)

Jazzyclub

Post by Jazzyclub » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:15 pm

Ande wrote:(To disable this feature, set Smooth FPS off in graphics settings.)
thx again, i see you like my suggestions :))

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:39 pm

Yes, supporting diagonal start/end lines would be too big a change now. The whole control line system is very simple since checking whether a pixel is on a vertical or horizontal line segment is very simple compared to checking whether it is on an arbitrary line segment. This is of course a bad excuse since it could have been done, but unfortunately, I can't implement every feature :).

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:32 pm

Yes Ande i understnand perfectly.

Just something i noticed: When i do a bridge i set it as a normal tile and then place it in the place/position i want.

Then i open track file and change tile to Leveltile 2.

But what is noticing is that when i test i find that the location of the tile moves and is not in the right place i placed it.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:19 am

BUGG: when i host a server i have noticed that...... when some one downloads a track on my server for some reson it doesnt download correctly and becomes a "invalid" track and cannot race with me, but in RC4 people could download tracks and race with me without transfers taking for ever. another one........ i host a server and my brother tries to connect and connects but when he tries to race....... he cant it laggs soo mcuh that his car on his screen is like going through a teleporter constantly and is inoying...... pls fix these PLS it would help our nascar league at www.tsnascar.tk

- Scorpio

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:20 am

Scorpio wrote:BUGG: when i host a server i have noticed that...... when some one downloads a track on my server for some reson it doesnt download correctly and becomes a "invalid" track and cannot race with me,
Does this happen with every track or just one specific track? Have you made that track by yourself? Does the track reference (include, terrains, images etc.) to only files in the same directory as the track or default stuff in data folder?
brother tries to connect and connects but when he tries to race....... he cant it laggs soo mcuh that his car on his screen is like going through a teleporter constantly and is inoying...... pls fix these PLS it would help our nascar league at www.tsnascar.tk
This would seem like a network problem. Use F10 to see what race ping is and if it stays stable. Remember that if any one of you or someone sharing a connection with you is downloading or uploading something big, it may cause all network games to lag.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:22 am

I upgraded the record server and started two JGG US servers. Let's still try to convert everything to 2.0 before the official 2.0 release which should be quite close now...

dede

Post by dede » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Ande wrote:Does this happen with every track or just one specific track? Have you made that track by yourself? Does the track reference (include, terrains, images etc.) to only files in the same directory as the track or default stuff in data folder?
I've been having this problem as well, at times (that's why I asked for the "download track again if it's invalid"-feature). I actually couldn't realize why this happens, but I might have a guess: if two tracks share the same tiles and they are positioned in the same folder (server), client downloads the first track correctly, and then the second track without those tiles (but this track is positioned to a different client folder than the previous track?).
Just a guess, but most of times it happened like that.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:23 pm

Yes, there seems to be a bug. When client stays connected, server sends all new files and client correctly puts the files to the same directory where the old track was and things work. But the problem arises when client disconnects and reconnects. In this case, the server does not reset the list of files that have already been sent even though it should.

I try to fix that and also try to make client be able to redownload broken tracks. The problem is that in some cases, this could cause a track that is really broken to be downloaded several times. And I need to consider the possibility that a track is not broken but memory is out or some other similar thing happens.

Btw, this bug probably was there in 1.0.8 already, right?
Last edited by Ande on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dede

Post by dede » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:09 pm

Ande wrote:Btw, this bug probably was there in 1.0.8 already, right?
Yes, I think so.

Janne

Post by Janne » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:35 pm

Ande wrote:I upgraded the record server
Puddles is in pu_tracks.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:56 pm

[Does this happen with every track or just one specific track? Have you made that track by yourself? Does the track reference (include, terrains, images etc.) to only files in the same directory as the track or default stuff in data folder?] yes for every track that people hasto dl, if they have it it works if they dl it it wont, yes the tracks are in the folder with all the correct tiles, they worked in rc4, but i cant stand to switch back becuz of the rc5 gameplay isnt so choppy ;) ... hopefully you can fix this.

[This would seem like a network problem. Use F10 to see what race ping is and if it stays stable. Remember that if any one of you or someone sharing a connection with you is downloading or uploading something big, it may cause all network games to lag.] - no, raptor just connects and no lag in the lobby but when he gets on track its just him that gets lag, i think that might just be our network problem in our router

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Btw, this bug probably was there in 1.0.8 already, right?
nope it was fine in 1.0.8 and RC4 rc 3 had this bug too, what ever you did to rc4 to 5 might have done that... look into the coding in rc4 and 5 and see if you can fix this

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:32 pm

I'll fix the server so that it resets the list of sent files when a player reconnects. Another fix is that I will rename .trk files to .trk.invalid if track loading fails AND the track in in tracks/download folder AND the game is in client mode. I hope this helps... I think this was a much older bug than something related to different 2.0 RCs. If you didn't do reconnecting in older versions you did not see the bug.

Fixed record server tracks, too.

I hope to release new build tonight.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:48 pm

you can come to my server if u installed game ;) u will se what im talking about then i could show you through a program called team view.... all the tiles are in the correct place..

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:02 pm

Latest version is now rc6. This is pretty much like rc5 but hopefully fixes track loading problems. Note that both client and server must be using rc6 for the problem to go away. Clients can now mark tracks invalid when loading fails and servers reset the list of files they think clients have when client reconnects.

If you have problems, please report them here and tell which computer you have (OS, processor, amount of memory, video card) and what F10 tells during a race.

(Link removed since a newer link was given)
Last edited by Ande on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:50 pm

YAY THANKS now i can host and race with people XD :)