Turbo Sliders 2.0.0 for Linux

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Turbo Sliders 2.0.0 for Linux

Post by Ande » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Here is the Turbo Sliders 2.0.0 Linux version:

http://www.turbosliders.com/download.php?type=lnx

Only binaries are included as usual. Unfortunately, this probably causes problems for some. The binaries were compiled with the latest Ubuntu. There are two versions of the binaries, one that uses the dynamic link libraries found in the installation directory and one that tries to use the ones in system directories.

For some reason, OpenGL seems to be very laggy on my machine even though FPS is perfect. It just seems that the window system doesn't want to update the screen fast enough. Let me know how it works on your machine or if you can find a solution for that problem.

UPDATE:
I compiled my own versions for all the libraries that are included in the installation packet. GLIBC_2.4 is not required any more when using sliders.linux.

UPDATE:
Rc6 fixes track loading problems. Upgrading is recommended.

UPDATE:
Rc6 will be the final 2.0.0 version.
Last edited by Ande on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sharp

Post by Sharp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:57 am

Both binaries run on my Arch Linux laptop. I had no problems with video on a quick test, OpenGL or SDL but audio was scrambled. It wasn't that way all the time, there were seconds here and there when it sounded completely normal. There were more of these moments when I ran the shared libraries binary but it still happened. I don't have this problem on 1.0.8.

Regarding the GLIBC_2.4 problem, presuming the machine is running Debian etch, a quick hack -less solution would be to wait for lenny to be released and upgrade. Don't know about the security, they might already support it.

Hengari
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3

Post by Hengari » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:03 pm

Great! Both binaries run fine on my Gentoo desktop althought I did some symbolic linking with the libraries for the rc3-version. OpenGL gives me fps about 62 and SDL shows 111. With quick test I didn't notice any lagginess. Don't know about the audio, because I haven't used it for ages.

About the Glibc, couldn't you just compile it from the source and install the library to your homedir with using the prefix-option in the configure-script.
Sharp wrote:a quick hack -less solution would be to wait for lenny to be released and upgrade
You're using quick and Debian in the same sentence. You must be kidding :)
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:42 pm

I investigated the issue and it seems that by using a certain compiler command line option I can make binaries that are supported by older c libs, too. The problem is that I will have to compile each and every library by myself, too, since they all have that same dependency...

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:16 am

I did that - compiled every library myself - and updated the Linux version. Now I can run it at least on the US server machine again. I upgraded record server to 2.0 and started two 2.0 servers.

With 1.0, the only executable that was working in the US server was the statically linked one. With this new packet, I managed to run the dynamically linked sliders.linux. Currently, I don't plan to include the statically linked version any more since I expect this new executable with manually compiled libraries to work at least as well as the old static version. Let me know if I am wrong.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:04 pm

And a new version, rc6, was already released, see the first message for a link and description.

The Dude
Community User Level: 1

Post by The Dude » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:30 pm

Great, a Linux version. I will start testing this version now. Initially, I wanted to wait for the final version - but as this is very close to it - it is time to start testing it on my machine too.

If it is possible, a new 64-bit version would be nice.

The Dude

Post by The Dude » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Did see a repeating error message "Unknown macro" in log.txt when loading a track.
Message: Autoserver cup pause before next race is 30 seconds.
I suspect it will go away when a macro called Track_sandycur are present but I shouldn't get an error for this.

Probably way to late and too much to ask for another feature, but for future reference here it goes...

1. A command where you could send a private message Server -> Client and Client -> Server. /whisper <destination nick or IP> <message>
You could then send directed messages. A player could be asking for coming cups and the server would respond.

2. Some way for admins to get a message to log.txt without going through main chat. /note <message>
ex. /note Beginning of F1 cup #23
This will make it easier for admins to find certain parts in a big log.txt-file.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have TS 2.0.0 rc6, Linux.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:47 pm

Yes, those are good feature requests, I won't implement it them to 2.0.0 but maybe in the future...

That Unknown macro message is rather ugly, too. Since it is only in log.txt when running an automatic server, maybe we have to live with it for now, I won't make a new build for that unless something bigger is found. As you probably guessed, by defining those macros you can make track specific macros. For admins, there are also other powerful commands like /source and /cmd. Especially /cmd could be used to do almost anything, including security holes by badly written scripts :). More info about how to enable and use it in README-autoserver.txt.

dede
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5

Post by dede » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:53 pm

The Dude wrote:Did see a repeating error message "Unknown macro" in log.txt when loading a track.
That's because there is no macro configured for that track. It has been there in 1.0.8 too, I guess. And I don't think it's a real error, it's more like a notice.
The Dude wrote:1. A command where you could send a private message Server -> Client and Client -> Server. /whisper <destination nick or IP> <message>
You could then send directed messages. A player could be asking for coming cups and the server would respond.
That could be quite nice (also having the possibility to write messages to own chat only, /ownmsg "This is a message visible only to me").
It would be also nice to enable ONLY custom script (now to run a custom script, we need to enable all scripts and raceend.cmd is run even if it's not there), and the possibility to run own custom scripts even when being in client mode.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:41 pm

As mentioned in the other thread, rc6 will be the final TS 2.0.0 version. I am hoping to make on "official" release real soon now but upgrading 1.0.8 servers to 2.0.0 is recommended already.