Joystic support

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Keppana
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:00 pm
Location: Finland

Joystic support

Post by Keppana » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:02 pm

I am testing Xbox 360 controller which is compatible with XP. Seems like digital buttons works, I wonder has it support for analog buttons. I would be happy to use triggers as acceleration/braking and tats for steering.

User avatar
Hengari
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: Capital City
Contact:

Re: Joystic support

Post by Hengari » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Keppana wrote:I am testing Xbox 360 controller which is compatible with XP. Seems like digital buttons works, I wonder has it support for analog buttons. I would be happy to use triggers as acceleration/braking and tats for steering.
Analog buttons are cheating compared to playing with keyboard.
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

Tijny
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:59 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Joystic support

Post by Tijny » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Hengari wrote:
Keppana wrote:I am testing Xbox 360 controller which is compatible with XP. Seems like digital buttons works, I wonder has it support for analog buttons. I would be happy to use triggers as acceleration/braking and tats for steering.
Analog buttons are cheating compared to playing with keyboard.
Indeed. TS works in such a way that buttons are either pressed, or not. There's nothing in between. Even if you could get the analog buttons to work, you would not be able to utilize any of their advantages.

Janne
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:40 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Joystic support

Post by Janne » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Keppana wrote:I would be happy to use triggers as acceleration/braking and tats for steering.
Did I understand right: one could turn smoothly without having to tap buttons? I think it would be unfair.

User avatar
Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer
Posts: 487
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:43 pm

Post by Ande » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:22 pm

Controls are always on/off so you don't get any advantage playing with a joystick. About the original question, I am not sure how different buttons work or don't work. You can test which buttons are recognized in controls settings.

User avatar
Mouse
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 1:56 am
Location: New York

Post by Mouse » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:22 pm

I have used an Xbox 360 controller for TS, since the console launched.

There is no analog, as Ande said. If you're a console gamer (like me) It may just feel more comfortable and natural than using a keyboard.

My inputs (if anyone cares):

Left Bumper - Open/Close lap time box
Right Bumper - Tab stats
A - Accelerate
X - Brake
B and Y - Shoot Missile
Start - Record Race

So Hengari and Janne, no one is getting an unfair advantage. :wink: Keypads just feel more natural for some people.

You can also use a Playstation 3 controller, because they all have USB ports on them. I may try this someday, because I think PS3 > 360 in terms of controllers (and, everything else :D).

Ande, ever a chance to see rumble support in TS? :P So when I crash into something at the beginning of every race, or go into the grass/sand, my controller rumbles. Would be nifty.
Image

User avatar
Keppana
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:00 pm
Location: Finland

Post by Keppana » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:26 pm

Mouse wrote:My inputs (if anyone cares):

Left Bumper - Open/Close lap time box
Right Bumper - Tab stats
A - Accelerate
X - Brake
B and Y - Shoot Missile
Start - Record Race
How do you steer the car, with keyboard? :D A and X sounds natural for accelerating and braking, shoulder buttons could be used as steering but it does feel very unnatural. Cross buttons could be also nice for steering, but they seems to be analog.

User avatar
Mouse
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 1:56 am
Location: New York

Post by Mouse » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Keppana wrote:
Mouse wrote:My inputs (if anyone cares):

Left Bumper - Open/Close lap time box
Right Bumper - Tab stats
A - Accelerate
X - Brake
B and Y - Shoot Missile
Start - Record Race
How do you steer the car, with keyboard? :D A and X sounds natural for accelerating and braking, shoulder buttons could be used as steering but it does feel very unnatural. Cross buttons could be also nice for steering, but they seems to be analog.
Well I use the left stick to steer. :wink: The d-pad maybe could be a bit more accurate, but I feel better with the stick. And the triggers can also be used to steer, but it's not even possible for me, not that I ever wanted to use them for that anyway.
Image

User avatar
Hengari
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: Capital City
Contact:

Post by Hengari » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:03 am

Mouse wrote:So Hengari and Janne, no one is getting an unfair advantage. :wink: Keypads just feel more natural for some people.
Phew, I knew that people can't read between the lines.

When I said that "it's cheating" I mean't that the game is made so that it isn't possible to use those analog controls like the way Keppana suggested. Because it would be unfair advantage. This joystick-thingy has also been discussed before.
Mouse wrote:PS3 > 360 in terms of controllers (and, everything else :D).
You're wrong in terms of controllers and games but PS3 is better on many aspects.
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

User avatar
Mouse
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 1:56 am
Location: New York

Post by Mouse » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:28 pm

About your first point, I was only agreeing with you, Hengari. :)

As for you're second point. Does the 360 D-pad work good for you? Like spending money on batteries or recharge add-ons? Enjoy the motion sens... oh, wait. :P Well my argument is mostly personal choice because I have used DualShocks for over 10 years, so it just feels more comfortable for me.

Oh, and, people can stop saying 360 has better games now, that ended some months ago. :wink:

If you wish to get into a console battle, I'll put my helmet on. "lol" Microsoft has pissed me off quite a bit, and I'll defend Sony for their quality products.
Image

User avatar
Hengari
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: Capital City
Contact:

Post by Hengari » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Offtopic follows:
Mouse wrote:Does the 360 D-pad work good for you? Like spending money on batteries or recharge add-ons?
D-pad, haven't had any problems with it. And the sixaxis runs on holy spirit, eh :)
Mouse wrote: Oh, and, people can stop saying 360 has better games now, that ended some months ago. :wink:
True, true, but you still can't get some games to PS3 like Forza motorsport 2 which kicks GT5's ass :)
Mouse wrote: If you wish to get into a console battle, I'll put my helmet on. "lol" Microsoft has pissed me off quite a bit, and I'll defend Sony for their quality products.
Sry, I don't like to pay for that way too expensive Live gold stuff. As I don't like MS products either but I think that their console is quite good now (when it's fixed and after the dashboard update) but PS3 is way better on some aspects like the network gaming and using as a media player.
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

User avatar
Mouse
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 1:56 am
Location: New York

Post by Mouse » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:55 pm

I mean console battle as in, debating which is better. :P But It seems we are in agreement on most stuff!

The Sixaxis is rather pointless.. have not found a game that I use it in at all really. There are some things like, tilting to pull up the multiplayer scoreboard (Resistance does this). And the new SOCOM lets you tilt the controller to make your guy lean around corners. In driving games, or any games where you need precision, It's useless.

GT5 is not out yet though! Only Prologue, which is a demo.. really. Just to keep the GT fans happy until the full game comes out. I'm dedicated to racing games on PS3 because I can use my G25 wheel.... where on microshaft's console, they only let your use theirs.... one of the reasons I side with Sony...

... the main reason, being the 3 red lights. I got it once, and went full-on Sony from there.

Sorry to everyone else reading this off-topic discussion. :)
Image

Jarno
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:14 am
Location: Finland, jyväskylä
Contact:

Post by Jarno » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:21 am

Consoles sucks :S Nowadays games are so stupid because of consoles :S Good thing is that we have turbo sliders.
Spinnering on limits...

User avatar
Hengari
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: Capital City
Contact:

Post by Hengari » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:28 am

Jarno wrote:Consoles sucks :S Nowadays games are so stupid because of consoles :S Good thing is that we have turbo sliders.
But think about how much more players would we get if Turbo Sliders would be available on Xbox Arcade or that PS3 thing (don't remember the name) :)
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

User avatar
olio
Community User Level: 2
Community User Level: 2
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:23 am

Post by olio » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:33 am

Mouse wrote:GT5 is not out yet though! Only Prologue, which is a demo.. really. Just to keep the GT fans happy until the full game comes out. I'm dedicated to racing games on PS3 because I can use my G25 wheel.... where on microshaft's console, they only let your use theirs.... one of the reasons I side with Sony...
I have to agree here with Mouse. Even though I don't have either of the wheels, but I've driven Prologue with G25 and Forza with MS wheel. Because X0 doesn't support any "real" driving feel, it makes Forza less of a good package than GT5&G25 combination. MS is peeing itself on a leg there.

And it's easy to blame consoles on "stupid" games, when the real reason is piracy.


...and then kind of back to the topic, would be quite funny looking to drive TS with G25 etc. :D

User avatar
Jazzyclub
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 586
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:11 am
Location: Milano - Italy
Contact:

Post by Jazzyclub » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:19 am

im with mouse too, playing TS with gamepad is more comfortable and its better if you have a wireless keyboard "omg nooo the battery!!!"

User avatar
Hengari
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: Capital City
Contact:

Post by Hengari » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:08 am

olio wrote:I have to agree here with Mouse. Even though I don't have either of the wheels, but I've driven Prologue with G25 and Forza with MS wheel. Because X0 doesn't support any "real" driving feel, it makes Forza less of a good package than GT5&G25 combination. MS is peeing itself on a leg there.
Yeah, unfortunately that's kinda true. I just don't like the driving feeling of GT-series compared to Forza.
Last edited by Hengari on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

User avatar
Mouse
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 1:56 am
Location: New York

Post by Mouse » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:26 pm

Jarno wrote:Consoles sucks :S Nowadays games are so stupid because of consoles :S Good thing is that we have turbo sliders.
I hope that you stub your foot on the bed tonight before you go to sleep. :x

Muahaha! :P

Anyway, it depends (for most people) what they played their first game on. For me, it was a NES. I never had a PC until I was a bit older, so consoles were/are my home for games. I guess it's a similar thing for many people.

I guess I'm going to make a video for Youtube, of me playing TS with a G25! :D

If TS were on consoles (PSN and XBLA), It would be 10000% more popular than it is here.... Though, TS would not be close to as great! Cannot make any cars or track with a console (unless it's LittleBigTurboSliders).
Image

Post Reply