Keyboard issues

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

misterpom
Community User Level: 3

Keyboard issues

Post by misterpom » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:08 am

I'm having a problem that is really getting on my nerves. When I use Sliders 2.0 sometimes my D-pad (the keys with arrows) gets "stuck".

Example: I'm doing a curve. I'm accelerating (up pad) and then I go to turn left (left pad) but something happens and I don't go the left. Instead I keep going straight and I crash somewhere.

That doesn't happen to me in Sliders 1.5. I tried to change keys (IKLJ or 8564, for exemplo) and it gets just a bit better but that still happens.

I use an Acer Aspire 5738z notebook. Does anyone knows why that happens and how to solve it and why it happens on TS2 but not on TS1.5?

Sorry to bother and thanks

dede
Community User Level: 5

Post by dede » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:23 am

Maybe it's a stupid question, but are you releasing the left button when curving right? Some keyboards have issues with three keys pushed at the same time, but probably that's not your problem since it worked with old turbosliders.
Does the game run smoothly or do you get warps even locally? It might actually be a problem of video configuration - but then it shouldn't happen only when pushing keys.

Tijny

Re: Keyboard issues

Post by Tijny » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:01 am

This is quite a common problem, many keyboards can't handle up, down and left being pressed at the same time. Although I'm not sure if this is even the problem (since you didn't mention the brakes), nor does it explain why it did work with TS 1.0.5.

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Jup brake and left thats why i changed my keys since i started turbo sliders

Q - accelerate
A - brake
< - steer left
> - steer to right

I like it, because of more space between my hands :wink:

Whiplash

Re: Keyboard issues

Post by Whiplash » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Tijny wrote:This is quite a common problem, many keyboards can't handle up, down and left being pressed at the same time.

Yeah. As I know, It mostly happen with laptops. So, I suggest connecting another usb keyboard on it. But sometimes you can find correct combination of keys (like: ujkh, hnmb, 8iou etc.).

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:52 pm

It's strange because the only time it happens is when I'm using Turbo Sliders 2.0.

The controls work perfectly on 1.5 and in emulators in general. I don't understand how an upgrade can be worse than its predecessor on my notebook.

It's really annoying. Everything is fine except for this. I think it's some kind of incompatibility between the keyboard (cheap as hell as in most notebooks).

Do you know what happens when you're driving and you press the talk button? You're not able to control the car anymore. That's exactly what happens. It's as if somebody pressed the talk button while I was driving.

Thus, I can't practice, my laps won't get better and I don't think I could even take part on the F1 tournament since I'm afraid I'd bump on people due to the problem.

Thanks for anyone. I'll try to correct the problem and I'll let you know if anything works.

dede

Post by dede » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:29 pm

If in the same pc the old 1.0.5 works with no problems, then it's not likely a keyboard problem. You didn't answer my questions, so I can't help you.

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:04 pm

I do release the left button and it runs smoothly. No warps whatsoever. Sorry I didn't answer your questions then.

Still trying to figure out a good way to solve this

dede

Post by dede » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:46 am

misterpom wrote:I do release the left button and it runs smoothly.

Do you hear any sound when that happens (like a hardware beeeep or smth..)? Does it still run smoothly while it's happening or it warps a bit?

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 pm

dede wrote:Do you hear any sound when that happens (like a hardware beeeep or smth..)?

He would hear it for sure with standard PC. But he has a laptop (Acer Aspire 5738z). So, I don't think so.

dede

Post by dede » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Whiplash wrote:He would hear it for sure with standard PC. But he has a laptop (Acer Aspire 5738z). So, I don't think so.

Hups, that's actually true. Well, if he is sure about not pushing other keys except up and left/right, then it shouldn't be a problem..

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:25 pm

dede wrote:Hups, that's actually true. Well, if he is sure about not pushing other keys except up and left/right, then it shouldn't be a problem..

As I understood, the problem is exactly there; he can't use just those two keys (combination of up and left) in the same time; up and right works well I guess.

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:21 pm

It happens with any combination. Up and left or Up and right. Sometimes it even stops accelerating while I'm still pressing up!

Anyway, I used today a USB Keyboar. It worked out fine most of the time. I still have the same problem but not very much. I have 90% less problems, I'd say.

I don't know what the problem is exactly. I guess my notebook just sucks, lol.

Storm
Community User Level: 2

Post by Storm » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:40 am

check ur keyboard matrix with this

moerph
Community User Level: 1

weird keyboard issues

Post by moerph » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:25 pm

hey all!

this might sound weird, but a friend of mine playing TS on XP told me it takes him ages to get to the main menu (about 5 minutes), though he is hitting all kind of keys (esc, enter, space, dsköflwefk.. :D )
and when he gets to the main menu sometimes the keyboard doesn't work at all, or it works but his computer takes about 30 sec to elaborate what he pressed..
last one (and not really keyboard related): ingame the cars are not where they should be on red lights... they are not even on the track (but on the grass, not on the starting grid), the lights are in the middle of the screen and half of the image is blurry..

is there any chance he might be able to play? lol

Jurgen-NL
Community User Level: 4
Community User Level: 4

Re: weird keyboard issues

Post by Jurgen-NL » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:51 pm

moerph wrote:hey all!

this might sound weird, but a friend of mine playing TS on XP told me it takes him ages to get to the main menu (about 5 minutes), though he is hitting all kind of keys (esc, enter, space, dsköflwefk.. :D )
and when he gets to the main menu sometimes the keyboard doesn't work at all, or it works but his computer takes about 30 sec to elaborate what he pressed..
last one (and not really keyboard related): ingame the cars are not where they should be on red lights... they are not even on the track (but on the grass, not on the starting grid), the lights are in the middle of the screen and half of the image is blurry..

post more information of his pc?
Dont beg for things do it yourself or else you wont get anything!!

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:20 pm

-Go to video settings and try to change driver to SDL. Then restart the game. That will help if your graphics card is not updated.
-Other possibility is that it's maybe one little problem that can be solwed by clicking left mouse key when demo video is playing on start, and then press enter. Try this one first.
But it will not help him to have start from tarmac for sure. :) It can only maybe help to make keyboard works.
I have no more ideas.

moerph

Post by moerph » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:12 pm

Jurgen-NL wrote:post more information of his pc?

it's not the newest one, but for sure good enough to play TS:
pentium 4 - 3 GHz, 2 Gb Ram, graphic card ATi Radeon 9600. Windows XP professional SP 3

thank you both for the quick answers.

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:47 pm

I got the same problem i posted about it before when i start turbosliders i have to wait approx 1 minut before it starts lol

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Problem fixed. I stopped using OpenGL and I turned off every other special effect. This seemed to solve the problem. I'd like to thank Dede. If he didn't touch on the subject today, maybe I wouldn't have tried it to do that.

Thanks for all the support.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:24 pm

misterpom wrote:Problem fixed. I stopped using OpenGL and I turned off every other special effect. This seemed to solve the problem. I'd like to thank Dede. If he didn't touch on the subject today, maybe I wouldn't have tried it to do that.

Finally. After 10 months. :)
OpenGl is the first thing that need to be improved in the next version of this game. It has just too many bugs. I have them few too.
You are using SDL or DirectDrow now?

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:36 pm

Whiplash wrote:
misterpom wrote:Problem fixed. I stopped using OpenGL and I turned off every other special effect. This seemed to solve the problem. I'd like to thank Dede. If he didn't touch on the subject today, maybe I wouldn't have tried it to do that.

Finally. After 10 months. :)
OpenGl is the first thing that need to be improved in the next version of this game. It has just too many bugs. I have them few too.
You are using SDL or DirectDrow now?

Yes, finally haha.

SDL.

DjDiabolik

Post by DjDiabolik » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:33 am

Hey boys......... i have very similar problems but in my case i obtain a problems like a "continuous pressure" of a button example:
When i turn to left and release the left button sometime the car continue to turn to left!!

After i have read this thread i have try to set SDL and not use the OpenGL... with SDL this BUG appears very rarely but if i try OpenGL it's a shit...... it's impossible to games......

All on 2.0.0 Free version and during a Training Session.....

jannypan

Post by jannypan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:56 am

Does the game run smoothly or do you get warps even locally? It might actually be a problem of video configuration - but then it shouldn't happen only when pushing keys.

Dide Dide

Post by Dide Dide » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:39 pm

jannypan wrote:Does the game run smoothly or do you get warps even locally? It might actually be a problem of video configuration - but then it shouldn't happen only when pushing keys.

Locally runs so smoothly for me, i think others do.
Maybe Update your Video driver will make it smoother.

Online all sever run smoothly if you have less than 100 ping, no lag, but if you have higher than 300 ping it becomes laggy,

Enjoy the Game.

Btw Putuscras Cup, is over Jannypan, i new cup will start soon, dede will organize some soon keep in touch with the players and The Site