Merging videos

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tijny
Community User Level: 5

Merging videos

Post by Tijny » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 pm

I made a little tool that can merge 2 TSR recordings into one, so that you can project different driving lines on top of each other.

Download TSR Workshop

How to use

The program has to be run from the command line, with the following format:

Code: Select all

tsrwrkshp.exe videoA.tsr -merge videoB.tsr PlayerA PlayerB output.tsr

'videoA.tsr' and 'videoB.tsr' are the existing videos that you want to merge, 'output.tsr' is the file it will be saved to.

'PlayerA' and 'PlayerB' are integral numbers that represent the desired player ID in videoA and videoB, respectively. To find out someone's player ID in a TSR recording, you can open the video (in TS) and look at the big black stats bar in the bottom of the screen. The top left player has ID 0, and the rest of the IDs are in sequential order. For example:

Code: Select all

0    1    2    3    4
5    6    7    8    9

A sample is included in the download package. If all is well you should only have to extract the files and double click on run.cmd, and output.tsr will be produced.

Limitations

- It does NOT work with client-sided videos. This tool relies on the fact that the videos are of lossless quality, which client videos are not. I realize that this is a very big limitation for some, but unfortunately there is no other way.
- It does NOT work when fuel is enabled.
- Collisions with other cars will have unexpected results.

I hope you'll enjoy.

Dide Dide
Community User Level: 2

Post by Dide Dide » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:49 pm

You are still working or this is the final version

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Dide Dide wrote:You are still working or this is the final version
I guess it's stable enough, but it's not the final version.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Fixed a small bug with the laptimes not being displayed properly and updated the download package.

Also, here's another small demonstration of this tool's capabilities: Mike Nike vs. Tijny

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:11 pm

I can freely say that this is the most useful tool ever. Really cool and easy to use. Nice job. :wink:

misterpom
Community User Level: 3

Post by misterpom » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Wow. Pretty sick tool, man! Am total impressed! I think this might be responsible for a significant increase in players skills sooner than we can imagine. It will be much easier to understand what we're doing "wrong" now.

Do you think you can create a similar program that makes a big video file of many different pieces put together one after another? That could be used as an editing tool, for "video resumes" of the races, like those F1 ones from BBC. The "comments" would be written on the chat while it's being recorded by whoever decides to make a comment on a race.

Again, pretty sick tool. I'm very impressed! Nice job!

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:23 pm

misterpom wrote:Wow. Pretty sick tool, man! Am total impressed! I think this might be responsible for a significant increase in players skills sooner than we can imagine. It will be much easier to understand what we're doing "wrong" now.

Do you think you can create a similar program that makes a big video file of many different pieces put together one after another? That could be used as an editing tool, for "video resumes" of the races, like those F1 ones from BBC. The "comments" would be written on the chat while it's being recorded by whoever decides to make a comment on a race.

Again, pretty sick tool. I'm very impressed! Nice job!

And we all should say tnx. On his place I would keep it for my self. :twisted:
Nobody could f*** me that easily in some wanking battles. :twisted:

dede

Post by dede » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Great job T! :)

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:09 pm

New version released, download link updated. I added experimental support for client videos, I guess it will work in most cases but it can go horribly wrong just as easily. The variables (position, rotation, speed etc.) used in client videos are still approximations since they are represented as 16-bit integers, as opposed to the way more precise 32-bit floating point numbers used in local videos.

Rendy Andrian

Post by Rendy Andrian » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:17 am

Nice tool Tijny! I can make a video of a SSS race! But... This tool can also merge videos where the racers are AI, right?
RACING SINCE 2007
OFFICIAL SITE - BLOG - TWITTER

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Rendy Andrian wrote:Nice tool Tijny! I can make a video of a SSS race! But... This tool can also merge videos where the racers are AI, right?
Yes, it should work on AI bots, but for now the output video can have 2 cars and 2 cars only.

New version released, fixing a few bugs regarding client videos. They should work (almost) perfectly now, as long as the selected player is local to the video. So for example, if you join a server and use this tool on yourself, it will most likely work - however, if you try to extract some other (remote) player's driving lines from the same video it will probably fail.

I also made it so that the players from video A and B always appear as non-ghost and ghost, respectively.

Lanz
Community User Level: 4
Community User Level: 4

Post by Lanz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:15 pm

patetic T!
thx

Rendy Andrian

Post by Rendy Andrian » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:26 am

I'm waiting for a new version that can merge more than two vids! Tried this last night and I'm pretty delighted!
RACING SINCE 2007
OFFICIAL SITE - BLOG - TWITTER

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks to this new technology now we can finally analyse some videos and finally see what mistake one of the players did:
Tijny vs REIROM Here is such a case.

misterpom

Post by misterpom » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:38 pm

REIROM AM TOTAL PATETIC HAHAHA