New Server

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Whiplash
Community User Level: 5

New Server

Post by Whiplash » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:09 pm

I talked about this with T today, but maybe we could have discussion here too.
Is possible to get one new server for wanking? LVP3 would be great. :wink:
Also, I remember dede mentioned that some polish guy kanadee (or something like that) gave him server for F1 quali last year, so is that server possible to restore?
Where is GPOR server? Maybe it's possible to use it for this?
Many times I'm bored and I would like to play TS, but nobody is online. I know that I could wank offline too, but it's much cooler to have live statistic like in Weekly Wanking where many players drive for the same goal.
A lot of other players would like to play it for sure.
It would be really good to refresh the main ranking with it too.

So:
-DIT tracks (each week new one)
-default cars
It can't be better. :wink:

I'm sure that it would be very active server.

TRACK SELECTION:

Whiplash:
Sc_Antila
J_Grasdum
Last edited by Whiplash on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

Hevonen
Community User Level: 2

Post by Hevonen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:44 pm

Yes, Ive been hoping for something like that for a long time.
Can't we have one active wanking server or cup? Weekly wank was so fun. One track and three default cars per week, or one car and three tracks? Maybe one track is better if we use default cars.

dede

Post by dede » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Yeah, polish server is still available (it was used for WW, F1 quali and GPOR). With Keppana's cup scheduled for Sundays, we could delay the beginning of F1 league (starting it in the summer wouldn't be a good idea anyway, because of holidays) and organize Weekly Wanking + renew the ranking.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:34 pm

dede wrote:Yeah, polish server is still available (it was used for WW, F1 quali and GPOR). With Keppana's cup scheduled for Sundays, we could delay the beginning of F1 league (starting it in the summer wouldn't be a good idea anyway, because of holidays) and organize Weekly Wanking + renew the ranking.

Oh, thanks God!!! :)

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:57 am

And do you plan to set up a new tracks, or keep the old ones?

Also, I would just mention that link for the RANKING tab shold be changed to to this one.
Adding skill classes, and teams would be perfect. :wink:

dede

Post by dede » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:00 pm

No no, I don't play to program anything new for the ranking, sorry.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:00 pm

dede wrote:No no, I don't play to program anything new for the ranking, sorry.
¸
Well, keeping all old will be ok too. Please, just open Wanking server.

Dide Dide

Post by Dide Dide » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:39 pm

LVP 3 Wanking Server/Cupos is still missing :D

emanuel
Community User Level: 1

Post by emanuel » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:08 am

i would host it if someone gave me scripts 24/7

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:59 am

emanuel wrote:i would host it if someone gave me scripts 24/7

Nah, dede can easier run better server, but he's just a lazy bastard.

kapa112

Post by kapa112 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 am

Well, I guess we can't hope that dede will do everything we want him to do. That would make him look like some kind of a slave of the community - I know it sounds bad.

And since I don't know shit about programming, servers, etc., I can't tell if it's such a big deal to run a server, but if so, we can just send dede some flowers and wait for his response. :)

dede

Post by dede » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:32 pm

No, it shouldn't be a big work, but I need some extra spare time to do that. It's not just one script, I need to remember what and how to configure the whole thing. And since I normally have only couple of hours/day of spare time, I use them to play.

Just be patient, please :)

olio

Post by olio » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 am

Personally I would prefer a racing server with similar ranking as in puna.forumcommunity.net. Default cars, some good defaultish tracks, like the ones used in past IRT's. Wankers would wank there anyway, so it would be two flies with one hit.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 am

olio wrote:Personally I would prefer a racing server with similar ranking as in puna.forumcommunity.net. Default cars, some good defaultish tracks, like the ones used in past IRT's. Wankers would wank there anyway, so it would be two flies with one hit.

Nah. Rankings based on activity are childish. We already have them too many (Puna, Gpor, and all others). It should be based on pure skill. Main TS ranking is has the best point system of all competitions. It gives the most relevant informations about all drivers speed and it's the only acceptable for the real wankers. The only good thing on Puna ranking is that it has skill classes.

olio

Post by olio » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:12 am

Whiplash wrote:Nah. Rankings based on activity are childish. We already have them too many (Puna, Gpor, and all others).

There you are wrong. Puna ranking is not based on activity, or how do you explain that player ranked 3rd has 26 matches and player ranked 8th has 997 matches. I believe it's done with 1vs1 comparisons.

And for the rest of your comment, only wank ranks that are based on pure skill are IHLC's. Others are heavily based on time invested in wanking. Of course skill always plays a part, but to say that the main TS ranking has the best points system to rank players is simply wrong. It is based on 10% skill and 90% of invested time. IHLC's and IRT's were 100% skill, new track for everyone, same amount of practice and same amount of laps.

dede

Post by dede » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:21 am

Whiplash wrote:It should be based on pure skill.

Well, are you sure that setting a record by improving 0.003s means you have more skills than previous record holder? :)

Or is it just a matter of luck/number of laps driven? After 6 years of wanking I finally convinced myself that once you are close to the record, it becomes just a matter of laps (demonstration: EasySlider - Sandycur).
Last edited by dede on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:25 am

olio wrote:
Whiplash wrote:Nah. Rankings based on activity are childish. We already have them too many (Puna, Gpor, and all others).

...same amount of practice and same amount of laps.

And not the same ping, connection, laggs, day time, etc. etc. :P
It's not just that simple.
Puna is totally based on activity. dede is 2nd now and kappa is 1st. But try them put in the same match. What will you get???
Then use main TS ranking. Give to kappa 10 years, he will still not be able to catch T. If he manage to do it - he's better driver.
Now on puna, kappa fucked dede even he's not better yet. :wink:

dede wrote:Well, are you sure that setting a record by improving 0.003s means you have more skills than previous record holder? :)

Sure not. Sometimes even with -050. But it's hard to have -003 with about 10 tracks. That must be bigger, and that can't be just a luck. That's why we can't just look at de_Pict times as an example. Whole ranking gives totally relevant picture of our speed.
Last edited by Whiplash on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:30 am

Whiplash wrote:Nah. Rankings based on activity are childish. We already have them too many (Puna, Gpor, and all others). It should be based on pure skill. Main TS ranking is has the best point system of all competitions. It gives the most relevant informations about all drivers speed and it's the only acceptable for the real wankers. The only good thing on Puna ranking is that it has skill classes.
Wow, I haven't seen so much bullshit crammed into so few words since reirom got banned here :P
Laptimes are not a good measurement of someone's speed. It is more than anything based on activity like dede and olio said, so by your own words, it's childish.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:36 am

Tijny wrote:Laptimes are not...It is more than anything based on activity...

That kind of activity is allowed because it gives you a skill. Puna activity makes champion of you even you are not good enough. Wanking will not make that situation. :P
But anyway, we just need a server - Wanking server. We will see what's the best ranking system in next time. And my philosophy will win. :twisted: :P

dede wrote:If you want less variables involved, IHLC is a good way to compare players (but there are still some variables, like luck, lag etc..).

Also, some people are more frustrated by ghosts then others. :P
Last edited by Whiplash on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

dede

Post by dede » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:37 am

Whiplash wrote:Now on puna, kappa fucked dede even he's not better yet. :wink:

In my opinion every ranking shouldn't be taken too seriously. You cannot have a "fair" and "100% reliable" ranking, telling who's the best player in skills.

For example, the PunaBall Ranking tells who is getting the best results lately, but there are several variables involved (partner, lag, people quitting, opponents...). The one in the top of that ranking isn't necessarily the most skilled PunaBall player.

Same goes for wanking ranking: the one on top is the one with good skills and possibly the one who dedicated most time to wanking. If you want less variables involved, IHLC is a good way to compare players (but there are still some variables, like luck, lag etc..).

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:55 am

This all went to wrong direction. We all saying all that we already know.
And we all probably think the same even we can't find the best words to explain that.
It's sure that driving skill is not the same as wanking ability, but it's the most similar. Wanking results gives us the pure speed of some driver. That speed can be fucked up on many ways in the race. For some of them reason can be not good driving skill (what is including driving concentration). Drivers with good driving skill are able to keep their pure speed in the racings too. Driving with just a wanking ability can be fucked up there because of no luck or no driving skill.
For sure: there is no such a way to find out who's the best driver.
But also: there is one secure way to see who's the best Wanker and for that we need new server and renewing (refreshing) the ranking :)
Last edited by Whiplash on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 am

Whiplash wrote:
Puna activity makes champion of you even you are not good enough.
I don't know what you're trying to say here... kapa is an exceptional Punaball player who is more than a match for even dede.

Whiplash wrote:Wanking will not make that situation.
Sure it will. I remember this one time [orange] diesel (an average driver) got the EasySlider record on Banaring just because he drove 7418972 laps there. The same goes for LaTuska who drove sick times on Minileap no one has beaten to this day; he would've been majorly outclassed by any top driver on other tracks. And I could think of more examples. A wise man once said, "Anyone can do one great lap, real competitiveness is the ability to consistently drive good laptimes."

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:05 pm

Tijny wrote:
Whiplash wrote:
Puna activity makes champion of you even you are not good enough.
I don't know what you're trying to say here... kapa is an exceptional Punaball player who is more than a match for even dede.

Whiplash wrote:Wanking will not make that situation.
Sure it will. I remember this one time [orange] diesel (an average driver) got the EasySlider record on Banaring just because he drove 7418972 laps there. The same goes for LaTuska who drove sick times on Minileap no one has beaten to this day; he would've been majorly outclassed by any top driver on other tracks. And I could think of more examples. A wise man once said, "Anyone can do one great lap, real competitiveness is the ability to consistently drive good laptimes."

As I know, ranking server doesn't have just one track. Maybe it's easy to get 1 rec, but for 10, you will need more then luck. :P
The main ranking gives you also to watch consistence of drivers. :P

lux2

Post by lux2 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:20 pm

Hello, I'm probably the most antiwank-antitrain of all.
I also have no interest at all in ranking, but tijny's last sentence is pure truth.

So, i want to say mi opinion here, even this is a wrong place for me.

If you really want a "rank server", why not to base ranking on the whole race time instead of laptime?

This could be useful also to define prequali for f1.
It can also be used to add some variable in gpor open seasons to reduce the weight of ultraactivity.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:35 pm

lux2 wrote:Hello, I'm probably the most antiwank-antitrain of all.
I also have no interest at all in ranking, but tijny's last sentence is pure truth.

So, i want to say mi opinion here, even this is a wrong place for me.

If you really want a "rank server", why not to base ranking on the whole race time instead of laptime?

This could be useful also to define prequali for f1.
It can also be used to add some variable in gpor open seasons to reduce the weight of ultraactivity.

Well, that's the same thing as the lap wanking. That's even worst: we will need more free time, and much more luck.
As dede said, there is no way to see who's the best driver, but the main ranking is a nice and the most practical and fair way to see infos of all drivers speed.
Just imagine, even if we had ranking based on real official races, I could still saying that it's not relevant enough because of many things, and I would even have much more arguments then you against this ranking.