It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Current status of default car racing

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

olio

Community User Level: 2

Current status of default car racing

PostSat Nov 12, 2011 10:56 am

I can start this and answer to the subject and say it directly, it's non-existent. But why? That's what I'm interested in.

In the past, majority of racing was done with default cars. We had JJT, IRT, IHLC, DIT and so on, all default car based racing. Nowadays we only have F1 and FC. Tijny was kind enough to put up a Slide Shack server some time ago, which was a normal racing server with EasySlider, Slider and Speeder. But as you may have noticed, that server is gone. And the reason is simple, it was always empty.

Of course I have a personal agenda behind this. I dislike F1 and FC. Or I could put it this way, I dislike non-sliding cars, which F1 and RDP are. Also FC is not even racing, it's just a bump fest. This is only my personal opinion, but I really don't think they offer as good racing possibilities as some of the default cars. They aren't as suitable for racing. Well, of course now they are, because there isn't any default car racing going on.

That brings me back to the start, why it is so, when the community used to be so much about default cars. I'd be interested to hear opinions from new players. Here are some things that I think have affected in it.

a) Free version becoming a full version. In the past with demo the most popular server in Europe was easily thedude.st. It had website that saved every players progress and best times in every track with every car. Most of the European players started in there and learned default cars with driving against fellow demo players. I started in there. But of course it's a bit shortsighted to say that free version becoming a full version is a reason for the vanishing of default car racing. I do think that it has a part in it, but without this move into free version, would there be TS to play at all anymore?

b) Age factor, at least in Finnish community. Old Finnish TS players had all grown in the era when Slicks'n'Slide was popular offline game. The idea of TS is heavily based on Slicks'n'Slide and for that reason TS and it's default cars felt like home for most of the Finnish gamers. Nowadays new Finnish players don't know Slicks'n'Slide anymore and default cars are only some weird looking stupid cars.

c) Patience. I think, that the default cars are the hardest to learn to drive properly fast. And to be honest, current generation of young people seem to be "everything to me at this instant second" -generation. They don't have the patience to learn the cars. If they join a server with default cars, they drive couple of laps, (let me put it how lux said it): they think "shit car" and leave the server. Most do this in the middle of the first lap, the strongest survive until they are lapped. There isn't anymore patience left to learn how to drive those cars fast.

d) This could be added to the end of c) but if there is new players that want to drive default cars, they are faced with only old drivers that already know the basics of default cars. There isn't possibilities for new players to play against new players with default cars. And to put it lightly, if they can keep fairly close to for example dede or Tijny with F1, it's likely that they get their asses handed to them with default cars. It's not really motivating, they would need to play against other new players.

e) You tell me?

I'm not bringing this up to revive default car racing via organized cups. It's pointless to make a cup with them, because there is only half of dozen players that would like to race in those. Generation in TS has changed, and there isn't much left of the old generation. The era when the recs were properly sick and adjustability to different cars during cups were valued. Some of the old players do enjoy F1 and FC, but unfortunately I can't. It's because I was spoiled with default car racing awesomeness and I dislike non-sliding cars. This was reminded to me just yesterday, when we raced in the spirit of Slide Shack with lux. It reminded me how awesome car Slider is in racing situation. You can take different approach into a corner than the other player without loosing too much time, drive neck to neck without contacts and so on. I think that it is the best racing car TS have ever produced. Sadly few of the new players know it and the situation yesterday was the same as it has been lately. We drove two cups, and it was the two of us most of the time (Del was with us in some races). No new players joined or if they did, they left quickly. Such a shame.

RIP default car racing. It was a blast.

shyguy1001

Community User Level: 5

PostSat Nov 12, 2011 11:11 am

Hmmmm. We had IRT's and IHLC's a little while ago now, they were quite popular but you are right nothing compared to the 35ish players that want to play F1 league. We had an antislider league last year in the F1 offseason, which proved to be quite popular, maybe that will make a return? Although you are saying you prefer the sliding cars :P

Del

PostSat Nov 12, 2011 11:36 am

When I started playing in April 2010 the only active European servers were FC, F1 and various puna servers. Other than the brief runs of slide shack (hugely unpopular), ThisIsNotTheSameServer (mostly as hugely unpopular as slide shack) and weekly wank last year there just haven't been default car servers. Weekly wank was quite popular but after that it was back to FC and puna. There just haven't been enough opportunities for new players to play online with default cars. Online >>> offline any day of the week.

And the other reason is patience. Anti is relatively easy to learn. When some of the new players haven't driven more than 10 laps with the default cars (and them being pretty hard to learn) an olio or lux will dominate to such an extent most will quit. So even giving them the opportunity to race the default cars won't work as long as there's FC/something else popular.

kikiriki

Community User Level: 1

PostSat Nov 12, 2011 2:49 pm

I loved speeder and spinner, antislider was my least favourite car, before i started playing ts again. but now i love fc server, battling and racing is the best kind of fun, like mariokart sne/64 :D
But i also missed racing with other cars than anti. I tried to create equally fast default cars, superslider and some other stuff, but not many players were intersted.
Lux's default cars missiles racing server was also cool :)

Whiplash

PostSat Nov 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Yep Olio, I share the same pain with you. But I have my own explanation of the problem. It's kinda from wanker's perspective :wink:

e) It's because no one forced new players to improve their skill with those cars. It's not about newbies, it's about hard core players. During past 2-3 years they all spinned from classy races to custom races and they simply increased the worthiness of racing with those custom cars.
Luckily I started to play TS online at the time when default cars were still pretty respected (I heard that time before my coming was even better from that point of view).
TS site needs some new features which will force new players to play with default cars. Surely, the site can't do it just by itself. Importance of competition is increased by hard core players activity, so they must be the leaders.
TS ranking combined with wanking server is ruined, and that's something that I'll never be able to get over. That was the best way of forcing new drivers to improve their skill and start to like the cars more.
Simply, importance of default cars should be increased; all new players should know that without improving skill for those cars they will never experience what's the real beauty of TS racing.

I still keep saved many videos of old races with default cars. Damn, I played just few races with those cars where pit is turned on. I even think that I never visited pit with any other default car except Anti. :) That's really sad.
Btw, I like default cars looking more than any other car. They are professionally made and can't be compared to any other car.

Etmil

Community User Level: 3

PostSat Nov 12, 2011 4:56 pm

I remember a bit of def-car racing back when I was still starting out in TS. I never had anything against it, and still don't. But I couldn't get good enough to be competitive with any of those cars. I liked Anti and eZ, even. But the competition was tough back then and I never managed to get to a good enough level to fight at the top.

I guess I would still race with def-cars today, but there just isn't anyone to race. Or most of the guys are better, which makes it uninteresting. Or the other majority of guys are even worse than me, which makes it boring, yet again. Also, there have been like 0 def-car tracks in the last I don't know.. forever? Jarno and Janne used to make most of them in the old days, I made a few.. Punatiainen and Jazzyclub as well, Scud.. all of them have disappeared :(

lux2

PostSat Nov 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Olio, I fully agree with all you wrote.
Now, you will maybe not agree with me if I say that I also love TSB_F2 car :oops: :D :D .
I have no answer for you. I really can't undesrtand why people love so much (and only) antiXXX things and use anti as fixed car everywhere: XB, puna, missiles racing, FC. I really disagree with that.

Tijny... Time for another Slide Night is coming?

mjay

PostSat Nov 12, 2011 7:09 pm

etmil thats bs u got many records at default tracks
fresh to death #YOLO

Jan

PostSat Nov 12, 2011 7:47 pm

In case default car racing makes a comeback, I'm ready to give the newbies some competition if the other oldies are too fast for them. :D If there was a default car server as popular as Full Contact is now, I'd play there.

Etmil

PostSat Nov 12, 2011 8:43 pm

mjay wrote:etmil thats bs u got many records at default tracks

LOL! That's totally not true.. you probably haven't downloaded all records. Besides I used a different nick when I started out, don't even know what that was but it wasn't until 3-4 years into the game that I actually settled down for 'Etmil', which I still kind of dislike, but what the hell :D

WHOA

How to bring back old the oldschool ;)

PostSat Nov 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Hey everyone,
first post on the boards, but I'm really not new to the game.
I consider myself as a long time newbie (:P) that has played most of the time offline against the AI players.
You may ask why..
Well, answer is that I love the original TS, and that perfect mix of variety and competition that slider cars put into the game on the old days.
Nowadays is all about antislider and F1, and personally I don't like it. Yeah, Full Contact is fun, but I think that's not what TS should be, or better, it shouldn't be the only alternative.

Now, it happens that I'm here to post this "vintage rant" 'cause I really want to bring the old competition back to the old days and I have some ideas to share.
As of my work, I have some servers (London based, good connectivity for everyone across Europe) that I would gladly share with the community and also the coding skills to put up a new ranking system if needed.
Naturally I would need the help of all of you because these things need time and dedication to become reality. So if anybody has ideas to share please post them here.
I'm sure that with everyone's effort we could contribute to make TS the game it deserves to be.

Have a nice day,
WHOA

Respekt

PostSat Nov 19, 2011 12:47 pm

It's funny you mention this... I can only win slider races lol. All these new cars and obsticle coarse like tracks have me lost in last place. I sure miss the good old days.

WHOA

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 2:23 pm

OK so.. I've put up VANILLA TS, a simple, classic server with pure TS on it (default cars, default tracks, etc..).
Let's see how it goes..
I would like to test the interest in this project, as well as some ideas for some ranking formulas so feel free to write down what you think.
I hope that some of the new players will have some fun racing like we used to in the old days.

Keep it up!
WHOA

Whiplash

PostTue Nov 22, 2011 12:51 pm

WHOA wrote:OK so.. I've put up VANILLA TS, a simple, classic server with pure TS on it (default cars, default tracks, etc..).
Let's see how it goes..
I would like to test the interest in this project, as well as some ideas for some ranking formulas so feel free to write down what you think.
I hope that some of the new players will have some fun racing like we used to in the old days.

Keep it up!
WHOA

I played there a little bit yesterday and I suggest you to set up random and fixed car changing. Otherwise (as it is now), only 1-2 cars would be picked for each of tracks (nobody will pick spinner, or easyslider on some longer track).

WHOA

PostTue Nov 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Got it, good idea. Maybe it will boost the competition a little bit.
Now it's random fixed and I've put up a selection of oldschool tracks on it.

Have a nice day!

Del

PostTue Nov 22, 2011 2:25 pm

WHOA wrote:OK so.. I've put up VANILLA TS, a simple, classic server with pure TS on it (default cars, default tracks, etc..).
You could make a topic for the server that lists the rules and such (is it rough? Maybe /adminmsg or even after every race while it's still new). Slide shack's idea of eliminating anti was nice (as we have anti servers already... But I can see the point of keeping it). Just an idea.

WHOA

PostTue Nov 22, 2011 2:34 pm

Of course, we're open to all possibilities right now, as we're still evaluating what kind of competition should be better for everyone.
I don't feel like giving out rules at the moment, simply because we're still at an early stage of testing.
Just race and have fun, we'll see what to do about "rules" in the next days. :wink:

Jurgen-NL

Community User Level: 4

Community User Level: 4

PostTue Nov 22, 2011 11:49 pm

if ya want me to drive sliding cars in the future (as i cant play ts these days :s) revive the good old 0.86 days with TSB-F2 :P

maybe then ill find the will to play more default cars instead of only anti slider
Dont beg for things do it yourself or else you wont get anything!!

Respekt

PostTue Nov 22, 2011 11:55 pm

Jurgen-NL wrote:if ya want me to drive sliding cars in the future (as i cant play ts these days :s) revive the good old 0.86 days with TSB-F2 :P

maybe then ill find the will to play more default cars instead of only anti slider

YEA DUDE! that's what I want to hear. WHOA and myself are working on putting together an "oldschool" server. With cars such as the slider, ts legend, and tsb-f2" with the original 86 tracks by ande and a few others. I strongly think the older TS players will appreciate this. Also, we are very open to suggestions, afterall we want to give the older TS players what they want.

Res

iBlaze²

PostWed Nov 23, 2011 1:50 pm

Had a few races on the new server with WHOA last night. Very good old-school racing with the default cars, reminded me of the old super-fairplay community server. Would have been even better if there were more people of course, but I like the efforts being made to bring back default car racing :)

Oh, and the added benefit that the server is based in London means it runs like a dream for me in Essex!

Etmil

PostWed Nov 23, 2011 3:21 pm

iBlaze² wrote:Had a few races on the new server with WHOA last night. Very good old-school racing with the default cars, reminded me of the old super-fairplay community server. Would have been even better if there were more people of course, but I like the efforts being made to bring back default car racing :)

Oh, and the added benefit that the server is based in London means it runs like a dream for me in Essex!

Are you planning to drive more on that server? The iR guys totally miss you!

lux2

PostWed Nov 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Jurgen-NL wrote:i...revive ... TSB-F2

+1

@iBlaze: Hello Bew! Welcome back!
If there are some people on the server i'm one of those who could join it.
Expecially if Anti ans spinner will be removed :wink:

bazter

PostWed Nov 23, 2011 5:30 pm

hello im new.
I have a problem with version 2.0.0. I do not work well and I use windows 7 ultimate need to help me.

iBlaze²

PostWed Nov 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Etmil wrote:Are you planning to drive more on that server? The iR guys totally miss you!

lux2 wrote:@iBlaze: Hello Bew! Welcome back!
If there are some people on the server i'm one of those who could join it.
Expecially if Anti ans spinner will be removed :wink:

Hello! Well in a couple of weeks it will be Christmas holidays so I'll almost certainly be back for a few weeks then. And I'll most likely be playing on both full contact and this new server if people are there :)

bazter wrote:hello im new.
I have a problem with version 2.0.0. I do not work well and I use windows 7 ultimate need to help me.

Make sure you run the program as an administrator.

Return to General Discussion