It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:42 am

Scripting idea for competition organizing

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Whiplash

Community User Level: 5

Scripting idea for competition organizing

PostWed Dec 07, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm wondering... is it possible to make a scripts that can allow to cup organizers to prepare the cups without their own hosting?
For example, dede could say that next cup is on 12.12.2011 and prepare all for the cup today. Desired server would automatically run his setup at that time even if he's not at home.
I'm predicting that some complicated competitions like F1 league would be probably hardly organized like that, but most of the simple cups/leagues could.
Just imagine: dede (or anyone) could set up whole league in just few minutes, and scripts would do rest of the job. Whole league would be hosted by computer. We could have informations on the homepage when next race is coming, so anyone who wants could just show up and play. Admins wouldn't have any obligation.
If anyone else would like to organize a cup, he could just send his race script (or all needed) to T or dede, and they would just set it up for desired date. :wink:
That could make us to have bunch of cups every week. :wink:

Mike Nike

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 1:18 am

basicly possible..
but at the least if the first cup gets ruined by, for example a backward driver or someone who accidently disconnects and reconnects too late because the server started the race already...
then people want back manual administration.
on the other hand there might be a lot of cuptypes which work pretty well that way.

Whiplash

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 10:58 am

Mike Nike wrote:basicly possible..
but at the least if the first cup gets ruined by, for example a backward driver or someone who accidently disconnects and reconnects too late because the server started the race already...
then people want back manual administration.

Yep, but I think it's not big problem. If somebody planned to play, he will be prepared for the cup for sure. Also, it's hard to imagine that there will not be some admin anyway.
But, just think, IHLC, IRC, Anti league, Slider cups and many others...EVERY WEEK!!! :wink:

Mike Nike

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 11:44 am

Whiplash wrote:IHLC, IRC, Anti league, Slider cups and many others...EVERY WEEK!!! :wink:

ihlc and irt* i could do every day hehe

Whiplash

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 12:17 pm

I wrote IRC up there. :oops: That's cause I use it often. :P What a fail.

Del

Community User Level: 2

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Whiplash wrote:If somebody planned to play, he will be prepared for the cup for sure. Also, it's hard to imagine that there will not be some admin anyway.
Bw drivers can't prepare for the cup? Mhh...

And as there will always be admins anyway, why does it have to be automatic? Just make a thread and get Nike to put the server up and make the script. Simples.

Whiplash

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Del wrote:
Whiplash wrote:If somebody planned to play, he will be prepared for the cup for sure. Also, it's hard to imagine that there will not be some admin anyway.
Bw drivers can't prepare for the cup? Mhh...

And as there will always be admins anyway, why does it have to be automatic? Just make a thread and get Nike to put the server up and make the script. Simples.

It's easy for admin just to take care of bw bastards, than of all other things. Anyone can ban drivers, but not anyone can handle whole organization.

Del

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Whiplash wrote:Anyone can ban drivers

That's been made all too clear in recent times...

Whiplash wrote:but not anyone can handle whole organization.

So...
Whiplash wrote:Just imagine: dede (or anyone) could set up whole league in just few minutes, and scripts would do rest of the job. Whole league would be hosted by computer.

Computers can run the script but admins can't?

Whiplash

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 6:45 pm

Del wrote:Computers can run the script but admins can't?

Computers can't ignore your stupid questions, but Whip can.

Del

PostThu Dec 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Del wrote:Computers can run the script but admins can't?

Computers can't ignore your stupid questions, but Whip can.
Computers won't take note of whatever it is I say. Can you actually give one good reason for automating the starting of cups if there are admins present? Now I would like these to be done a bit faster but I suppose sometimes the 3-minute wait for something that actually may be important isn't bad (but that doesn't mean you shouldn't pee or eat before pre-qualifying in F1 for example.......).

Return to General Discussion