It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:16 am

Turbo Sliders - Mac version

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Turbo Sliders - Mac version

PostWed Sep 21, 2005 11:06 pm

i'd like to buy turbosliders, but there is no mac os x version...and estimate when there will be one?

------

Mod edit:

Try this: http://macgyver.fi/turbosliders.zip

Hengari

Community User Level: 3

PostThu Sep 22, 2005 11:09 am

Hih, I just asked a week ago for Ande to make a version for Mac. He said "we'll see" (as he always says).

If the game compiles nice on Linux and Mac OS X is just another Unix, I think we see the PowerPC -version of Turbo Sliders after Ande has learned to cross-compile and has some distCC or other way to make PPC-binaries.
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

PostThu Sep 22, 2005 1:10 pm

>after Ande has learned to cross-compile
AFAIK it's nearly impossible to cross compile for macosx

> Mac OS X is just another Unix
there might be some byte-swapping issues due to ppc beeing big-endian but that's a minor problem...since turbosliders uses SDL the port should be very quick and painless

>or other way to make PPC-binaries.
since "jollygood" already has some mac games, why should this be a problem at all? obviously they have to have the supporting hardware and ppl...?

Hengari

PostThu Sep 22, 2005 3:27 pm

Anonymous wrote:>after Ande has learned to cross-compile
AFAIK it's nearly impossible to cross compile for macosx

I'm no programmer and have no expertise in that area, have just read quickly some pages about distCC and things.

Anonymous wrote:>or other way to make PPC-binaries.
since "jollygood" already has some mac games, why should this be a problem at all? obviously they have to have the supporting hardware and ppl...?

As I understood, Ande had no PPC machine to use and maybe "jollygood" is just for providing the marketing and other efforts and not the coding part. Hard to test PPC-binaries without a decent developing environment.
sliderpoint

Creator

Community User Level: 2

Community User Level: 2

PostSat Oct 01, 2005 4:28 pm

The sales of the Linux version are very small compared to Windows (and even on Linux forums the most common thing people complain about is the fact that the game is not open source and you have to pay to get the full version). We do have some other Linux and Mac games for sale, but unfortunately the Mac versions sell even less units than Linux.

It would be possible to create a Mac version, and we would do it if we knew there's people out there willing to play it (and you know - pay for it). But if that's just 3 people, it would be better to spend the time improving the existing versions. IF you want a Mac version, please send us email. [url mailto:support@jollygoodgames.com]support@jollygoodgames.com[/url] is always listening. If there's enough feedback, things will happen!

Chukie

Community User Level: 1

PostWed Sep 26, 2007 7:57 pm

Creator wrote:The sales of the Linux version are very small compared to Windows (and even on Linux forums the most common thing people complain about is the fact that the game is not open source and you have to pay to get the full version). We do have some other Linux and Mac games for sale, but unfortunately the Mac versions sell even less units than Linux.

It would be possible to create a Mac version, and we would do it if we knew there's people out there willing to play it (and you know - pay for it). But if that's just 3 people, it would be better to spend the time improving the existing versions. IF you want a Mac version, please send us email. [url mailto:support@jollygoodgames.com]support@jollygoodgames.com[/url] is always listening. If there's enough feedback, things will happen!

I mailed JGG requesting a mac version and decided to bring this topic up because I thought that there might be more demand for a mac version nowadays.

I recently changed to mac and would like to keep playing TS without installing a second os on my mac. I'm definitely willing to pay for the mac version even though I all ready have a license.

So, if any of you would like to have a mac version of TS - and you're willing to pay for it - please contact JGG. :)
"We play more games before 9am than most people play all day."

aNt1

PostTue Oct 09, 2007 12:12 pm

Macs are now Intel based... So it must be easy to convert! I'll buy it!
aNt1?aNt1!

Hengari

PostFri Dec 12, 2008 5:28 pm

No news about the Mac version of Turbo Sliders?

Hmmm, I think that it could work also on OS X if Ande would compile the code on some other Unix-platform like FreeBSD or even on Darwin (the Unix behind OS X).

If I just had the source code so that I could (try to) compile it myself :)
sliderpoint

Humanoid

PostWed Apr 15, 2009 3:13 pm

You know.. I'm running Turbo Sliders 2.0.0 Windows version under Mac OSX Leopard through Wine with no problems. Only the sound and OpenGL support is missing (I bet you can somehow get the OpenGL working). I'm using only 1.5GHz Mac Mini with 1GB memory and it runs very smoothly.

Be sure that you have the X11 (XQuartz nowadays) installed.

To get Turbosliders work, do this:
1) Download the latest Darwine build for OS X from here:
http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/

2) Install both Darwine and TRiX. Run TRiX from Applications. Be sure to install Visual C++ 2008 Redistrubutable libraries.

3) Install turbosliders.exe through WineHelper you just installed under Darwine

4) edit ~./.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Jollygood Games/Turbo Sliders/sliders.ini and disable the OpenGL (from 1 to 0).

5) Play.

Important:
You can tweak the X11 resolution from winecfg (/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/). I also noticed that WineHelper has some difficulties to run Turbo Sliders from GUI. If this happens, go to the installation directory from Terminal (normally this is ~./.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Jollygood Games/Turbo Sliders/) and run it like this:

/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/wine ./sliders.exe

It's easier if you make an executable script with that command.. :)

Enjoy!

Chukie

PostThu Apr 16, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks Humanoid.

Though the thing is that I'd love to play TS on my mac without all the hassle.

Might give wine a go in not so distant future. :)

Humanoid

PostThu Apr 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Chukie wrote:Thanks Humanoid.

Though the thing is that I'd love to play TS on my mac without all the hassle.

Might give wine a go in not so distant future. :)

It's not a hassle.. just install Darwine and run the TS from Terminal (short version) :)

Hengari

PostSat Apr 18, 2009 9:49 am

Humanoid wrote:You know.. I'm running Turbo Sliders 2.0.0 Windows version under Mac OSX Leopard through Wine with no problems.

Oh yeah, that really works. I also got the sound. As I understand OpenGL would need Crossover -software which costs money.

Although the performance could be better because the car movements are a bit erratic and the playable resolution (1024x768 is ok and 1440x900 is not) is kinda low.

The best solution would be that Ande would lend (to me or someone else) the source so that it could be compiled for OS X binaries :D

Update: I tried it with Crossover Games (7.2.0) and it worked with OpenGL and the gameplay was smooth. Or as smooth as it in 2.0 is atleast.
sliderpoint

Humanoid

PostSun Apr 19, 2009 8:32 am

Hengari wrote:Update: I tried it with Crossover Games (7.2.0) and it worked with OpenGL and the gameplay was smooth. Or as smooth as it in 2.0 is atleast.

I tried it too but didn't find the place where to install all the necessary runtime libraries.. so it didn't work for me. There is a way to get OpenGL support for Darwine but it must be done manually. No .dmg available for that, yet.

It's not so hard to give the source codes to one guy they trust and let him compile the mac version..

Hengari

PostMon Apr 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Humanoid wrote:I tried it too but didn't find the place where to install all the necessary runtime libraries.. so it didn't work for me.

Hmm, I didn't do anything other than just install the Crossover Games and through it Turbo Sliders game and tada.

Humanoid wrote:There is a way to get OpenGL support for Darwine but it must be done manually. No .dmg available for that, yet.

I used unofficial builds for Darwine http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/ and although the developer writes "all my builds since 1.1 do support OpenGL on 10.5.5 out of the box", at least Turbo Sliders didn't want to work with OpenGL "out of the box" .

Humanoid wrote:It's not so hard to give the source codes to one guy they trust and let him compile the mac version..

If that would be so easy and even true, that would already happened. But maybe someday...
sliderpoint

dede

Community User Level: 5

PostMon Apr 20, 2009 8:38 pm

Hengari wrote:
Humanoid wrote:It's not so hard to give the source codes to one guy they trust and let him compile the mac version..

If that would be so easy and even true, that would already happened. But maybe someday...

Maybe you didn't pull his leg long enough. Just start to mail him every week and he'll do everything you want, even releasing a new version of the game.

velmu

A Turbosliders Wine Package

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 am

Packaged Turbosliders as a package for OS Xwith Wineskin. Works great on Mountain Lion.

Try it out and buy the license if you love the game: http://macgyver.fi/turbosliders.zip

Whiplash

Re: A Turbosliders Wine Package

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 pm

velmu wrote:Packaged Turbosliders as a package for OS Xwith Wineskin. Works great on Mountain Lion.

Try it out and buy the license if you love the game: http://macgyver.fi/turbosliders.zip

This could be sticky.

Afinfas

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 10:06 am

Whiplash wrote:
velmu wrote:Packaged Turbosliders as a package for OS Xwith Wineskin. Works great on Mountain Lion.

This could be sticky.

Cmon guys! This should be on the first page of the official page together with Linux and Windows versions!!! Its one more possibility to get guys playing this game!!! I didnt knew that this existed already!!!! :shock:

Ok, will spread the news around NSGP forum! ;)

Make it more visible please!
"Dont forget to be happy!"

Afinfas

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 11:13 pm

Ok guys...need some help in order to bring one more guy to play with us (coming from NSGP). :lol:

He has a MAC and he didnt played TS before cause of that...theres no MAC version...at least not on main page.

I already tried the one posted here and it worked 100% with no problems at all so im sending him the link so he can join us next sunday! The only problem now is that he wants to try the PTM car and the track where we´re gonna race. So i gave him the link for him to download BUT...i dont have a #%&& clue where to put the files. Theres no documents folder with Turbo sliders folder inside! I made a search with spotlight (the search tool from MAC) for folders like Ai, tracks, video...and nothing related with turbo sliders is found. I´ve looked almost everywhere and dint found anything. Can anyone help me please??

I run the game one time and played online as well one time and it downloaded tracks and they are there on temp BUT...i dont know where this is placed!!

Help soon...would be greatly appreciated. :) Its this kind of things that can make a guy run away from a game....
We cant give ourselves to the luxury of loosing players by stupid things, or can we? :roll:

Ok, will wait for an answer so i can forward to him! Well...actually i also have a MAC and would like to see this question answered! ;)

EDIT: Ok..... I FOUND IT by myself! :D So stupid of me. So simple!!!! :lol:

Its like this: You right click on the turbosliders app and go to "show package contents" then you have 3 items. You go to "drive_c/program files/turbosliders" and inside you have all the necessary folders to copy the car and track files! ;)

Done!!!

Whiplash

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 9:22 am

dede, you f*** lazy bastard. Make this topic to be sticky. And copy the crucial info to its first post.

Afinfas

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:27 pm

What about this being sticky? And add to main page a Mac download link?

Hmm...i think its important, even though a new version is being worked out i think it should be on main page! :?

Whiplash

Re: Mac version

PostSun Nov 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Is there anyone who's playing TS on Mac these days?

Afinfas

PostSun Nov 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Whiplash wrote:Is there anyone who's playing TS on Mac these days?

Well, im not on top of those things ATM but...I know that there were some NSGP guys that didnt tried TS cause they use mainly MAC. So, the short answer is, yes! There are guys playing TS on MAC and to be honest I think it would be extremely important to have TS working with all possible platforms. TS needs to catch the may players possible....or better, it can give the luxury of leaving out some potential new players due to not having a version for the most known platforms, PC, MAC and Linux.

Whiplash

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 1:27 am

I was writing to Ande about this trying to find out how hard it would be to get the Mac version too. He said:
Unfortunately, I have never owned a Mac computer and have zero experience on making Mac builds.

I still believe that converting TS to Mac probably isn't that hard for guys who are experienced with that kind of work. The question is:
Is there already somebody who's playing TS by using some of the existing emulators? And, would it be possible for someone on the community to just make an updated packet that is runnable on Mac?
That could be a good alternative for now and that's what Ande suggested too.

Chukie

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 10:59 am

Just tried this on the latest PS X and it worked pretty much perfectly, except that I can't join the beta server. It says that my client version of the game is either newer of older than the server version of the game... probably my version is older. Is there a way to get a newer package with Wineskin?
Next

Return to General Discussion