Turbo Sliders - New Version

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

power79
Community User Level: 3

Re: Turbo Sliders - New Version

Post by power79 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Whiplash wrote:Brake+acceleration keys results just as brake now. But, what do you guys think if the speed would just freeze in that case?
I mean, if you're holding acceleration key to reach virtual 80 km/h, you could keep that speed by holding brake key together with it. Maybe even more natural way would be if the car still brakes by acceleration+brake, but this time much slower. Basically, braking while accelerating shouldn't result as a normal brake, but as some softer brake (it shouldn't produce the tire marks).

I feel that it could make a lot of new driving possibilities. I'm just not sure if that would have bad influence on resources.
Well changing how controls work is pretty big thing. I would have to totally learn to drive again. And we have a softer brake(friction/viscosity) which is achieved by releasing throttle. Yet another form of slowing down? Freezing speed could work, specially in some long corners i guess. But would it affect old lap records? Maybe some "freezespeed" property for new cars?

Whiplash
Community User Level: 5

Post by Whiplash » Fri May 16, 2014 6:04 pm

power79 wrote:But would it affect old lap records?
Lap records will be f*** up anyway. They will not match with the new version.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:36 pm

I'd like to see your comments to these thoughts:

1. While looking inside of terrains.ter file I thought that some of default terrains could be defined differently. For example, all of the terrains different than tarmac are having acceleration lower than 1.0, which isn't quite logical I think. The only thing that should be different compared to tarmac is their viscosity.

2. Also, one other thing would make much more natural, challenging and enjoyable gameplay - I'll call it "loaded steering".
Currently, the steering of all cars is too much "digital". There is full left -straight - full right and nothing in-between. It would be nice if TS could simulate the wheel a bit. That would consider next parameters:
- "permanent turn" (which can be 0 or 1) - If it's 1, pressing key for left or right will fix the turning in one of those directions. If you pressed left, car will keep turning to left as long as you're not pressing right (some auto-straight parameter could be added too - it would slowly making the car going straight again).
- "loading time to full turn" (can be from 0 to 3, where numbers are seconds) - if it's 1.8, than a player would need to keep the key left for 1.8 seconds in order to fully turn left. Current parameters "steering" is already defining the speed of wheel turning. At the beginning, car will always have steering 0. But for 1.8 seconds it will reach its defined value.

These parameters should basically simulate steering wheel of a car which would give a lot of new great possibilities for a car makers. Sure, this doesn't mean that we'll implement it on default cars. In their case, both of the mentioned parameters would be 0.

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Eh, if you don't want to steer so sharply, theres already some skill in feathering the turn, just like you can feather the throttle/brake if you don't want to go so fast/slow.
www.youtube.com/sliderstv <---- Best Turbosliders Videos ever made ;)

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm wondering is there a way for TS to solve that "behind proxy/firewall" problem that many server hosts experience?
I mean, is it a problem if TS would allow all the ports and not need the port forwarding?
Or, even better, maybe it could be optional thing somehow?

Wokinger

Post by Wokinger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:07 am

Whiplash wrote:I'm wondering is there a way for TS to solve that "behind proxy/firewall" problem that many server hosts experience?
I mean, is it a problem if TS would allow all the ports and not need the port forwarding?
Or, even better, maybe it could be optional thing somehow?
It's router or AP stuff, so I'm not sure if it's possible to do it.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:02 pm

O.K. guys, the latest beta version is already being tested. I'm predicting that the new stable version will be published next week already. But until then, I would like to write some ideas about the game releasing here.
- I already spoke with Badee about this, but I'll say it here too. It would be really nice if the new website could be started together with the new version. It doesn't have to be finished, of course. We could start with just a few basic tabs (home page, forum, server list).
- We should create a small recension of the game in English and then spread it wherever we can (gaming portals, forums, blogs etc.) together with the download/website links. Each of us could translate that text in his own language and spread that on the gaming portals of his own language.

power79

Post by power79 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:00 am

As we are not getting any new default tiles/cars, what would be best way to introduce F1 and other custom stuff to possible new players? Old school players may prefer default modes but new version has lot of new features that are aimed more at custom cars. If there is nothing included in installation package, lots of people might never even find them and only see the game with default cars/tracks and not get that interested.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:13 am

power79 wrote:As we are not getting any new default tiles/cars, what would be best way to introduce F1 and other custom stuff to possible new players? Old school players may prefer default modes but new version has lot of new features that are aimed more at custom cars. If there is nothing included in installation package, lots of people might never even find them and only see the game with default cars/tracks and not get that interested.
There will be a F1 Fairplay and other servers still I guess. We'll make them to lead people to download links of the website/cars_packs/tracks_packs. I didn't notice problems about it with the current version neither.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:25 pm

This could be a framework of the info that we can spread over the Internet (gaming portals, forums, blogs etc.)

Turbo Sliders

Turbo Sliders is a FREE game with a long history and it's the most complete game of its genere. Mostly it's described as „a racing game with a top-down perspective that allows up to 20 network drivers compete against each other over the internet“.

But Turbo Sliders was always much more than just a racing game. It's a whole new world where you're free to do almost everything you want:
- create or download unique tracks;
- create or download unique cars;
- create or join unique competitions;
- compete with the most talented drivers in the world;
- play online and offline (against AIs and human players);
- enjoy different game mods: Fairplay racing, Full Contact racing, PunaBall (play soccer with cars), Battle (kill your oponnents by missiles), xBumpz (kill your opponents by pushing them out of track), infiltration (capture the opponents base)...
- and many other things.

The new version (v2.5.3) polished already existing things in the game, but also added some new cool features like:
- Tyre wearing - now you'll able to change tyres in the pit;
- Drafting (slipstream) – it gives you some extra acceleration when driving close bihind of another car.
- Maximum track size is changed from 2000x2000 to 4000x4000.
- Cars movement is smoother than ever and enhanced by some new handling parameters.
[YouTube presentation video link] (I hope Shyguy will be able to create it)
[Download link]
[Website link]
[Wikipedia link]

P.S.
Before the new version is released, I would create a topic where all of us will write a links of the places where we were advertising TS.

Fabrik
Community User Level: 1

Post by Fabrik » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:50 pm

I can't wait for it!

Taking the occasion of the new website it could be great if Car Database would be updated with custom cars made by players and track database could be cleaned-up a bit.
For example would be great to separate high res detailed tracks (made with photoshop) and low res tiles made track.
Anyway you are doing a great job!

Etmil

Post by Etmil » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:59 am

Btw where is the new feature called 'increase font size in-game so you could actually read the info in the corner about laptimes etc'? Honestly.. :|

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Etmil wrote:Btw where is the new feature called 'increase font size in-game so you could actually read the info in the corner about laptimes etc'? Honestly.. :|
I understand. That was a really high on the list of priorities, but Ande still didn't do anything about it. I believe that the reason is that he would have to do changes about GUI elements too, and that probably wasn't that easy. That's why it's postponed for the future.
But, I believe I could give you an alternative solution by my self. Just give me some short time. :wink:

Anyway, why are you using such a high resolution? I believe that everyone would see the readable text if he would using native resolution of his monitor.

EDIT:
Here you go.

Etmil

Post by Etmil » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:22 am

I'm on a laptop and the resolution is 1600x900.. that's quite high. And the text is VERY small..

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:39 am

Etmil wrote:I'm on a laptop and the resolution is 1600x900.. that's quite high. And the text is VERY small..
Did that new enlarged font help then?
And, is it that bad to set some lower resolution? What about 1024x768?

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:13 am

These are the cars that you'll be able to download once we get new version out: website link
:wink:

aussieTSfan

Post by aussieTSfan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:49 am

.. just had a quick go at the new TS, and I tried out the exo... fkn amazing. The car movements are so much smoother.. wow.. amazing. Thanks again, making this brilliant game even better. Cant wait for some WCR cars :)

aussieTSfan

Post by aussieTSfan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:04 am

.. with the new driving physics, particularly smooth steering, its so much easier to control the cars in tight spaces eg. pit lanes... amazing..
The the old version I would have to do many taps left and right to keep the car centre and it was hard to have smooth lines.. with this new version the driving lines are way smoother, and hence more realistic.. this is amazing.. thanks so much to the creators and tweakers ;)

Augusto

Post by Augusto » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:02 pm

whats the reason for not including f1 tracks and cars in the installer?? the game looks exactly the same as the previous version, and we know that new players are not atracted to default cars....

can cars be organized in folders???

Luka

Post by Luka » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:12 pm

http://pretendenci.futbolowo.plImage

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:18 pm

Augusto wrote:whats the reason for not including f1 tracks and cars in the installer?? the game looks exactly the same as the previous version, and we know that new players are not atracted to default cars....
We had that in mind, but we gave up because of few simple reasons:
- We didn't know what tracks to add.
Even there are tons of tracks, we actually didn't like any of them that much to get them in installer. New version will allow us to make much better ones.
- We didn't know what cars to add.
Even I made tons of them, many players didn't like them that much. As you can notice, we still didn't create a perfect F1 car that we'll surely use in future. So, why adding cars that nobody would play?
- We wanted the installer to be as clean as possible and ass small as possible. If somebody wants more cars and tracks, he can easily find them.
Augusto wrote:can cars be organized in folders???
Nope. We asked for that, but Ande has his reasons not to implement it - probably to avoid complications. Maybe he'll do it in the future.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:24 pm

Luka wrote:Shit version, i can't play...
http://pics.tinypic.pl/i/00603/cxvldpeay9t0.jpg
Are you running Windows XP, per chance? If so, have you installed Service Pack 3?

Luka

Post by Luka » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:35 pm

Yes XP, dont know if i have sp3 :P
http://pretendenci.futbolowo.plImage

Augusto

Post by Augusto » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:40 am

Whiplash wrote:- We wanted the installer to be as clean as possible and ass small as possible. If somebody wants more cars and tracks, he can easily find them..
i think that finding new tracks is not so easy for new players... I prefer to wait 5 more minutes for the download and have all tracks included. Especially new players. Its better to download one big file rather than a lot of small files...

this is just my humble opinion about what i think is best for the game and the comunity

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:54 am

Augusto wrote:Its better to download one big file rather than a lot of small files...
Then read the forum better.
LINK