Turbo Sliders - New Version

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dede
Community User Level: 5

Post by dede » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Updated the list of required features in the first post..

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Just please make it that all the options are able to turn on and off! We can't loose the classic feel of this version :p

Wokinger
Community User Level: 3

Post by Wokinger » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Pingu wrote:Just please make it that all the options are able to turn on and off! We can't loose the classic feel of this version :p
Definitely! Game should allow to turn off options and drive in 0.86 version style :D

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Ande wrote:...
After so many years this sounds like words of God.
Come on, don't speak about "dreams" now. Find some free room and silence in your home and finish this out. :wink:
I don't know how that code looks, but I know I was always fascinated how many bugs you managed to avoid compared to other similar games developed by other programmers.

Anyway, the thing we maybe forgot to mention here is a "wall physic". All obstacles in the TS are always kinda too stucky. I'm pretty sure that it's one of the things which are irritating the newcomers especially.
I' ll try to explain this a little better.
All the obstacles are now bumpy ones. It's almost impossible to scratch some wall in some longer distance. You can only be bumping in it many times. So, bumping is not scratching.
If you still don't understand me, I 'll try to describe this on one another way. For example, I would like to see some wall be able to act like the "end of screen". If you try to hit the "end of screen", you will see that you can scratch it trough whole its length without stucking in it or be bumped by it. On the similar way many other obstacles should work (walls, trees etc.) . We should only be able to change the level of the "slippness" of those new walls and obstacles.
So, to conclude this, the car should be able to be slipping (scratching) while touching the wall, not only to bump or stuck in it like now.
This would improve racing on the oval tracks especially, but also the racing in general.
Watch what's the problem with current walls now on 2:10 of this video.
I hope you got me now. :wink:
Btw, seems like the same technique could be implemented to cars too. So, the car pat could also be more slippery. This will make the game to have better flow and to be less irritating. :wink:

In the end, seems like dede decided intentionally totally ignore my suggesting of turning from 64 rot-positions to 360. I'm still looking forward to it. If anything will push the game to a new dimension, then that's this change...even though I'd like to test it first. :wink:

radomir

Post by radomir » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:03 am

Hi, I'm not an active community member and came here by accident. I'd like to encourage the game's creator to make a new version.

I still play TS on Linux from time to time. The fact that it's a Linux game isn't much noticed, but it's actually one of the most playable games that runs natively on Linux. Linux gaming is recently in rise. Steam has been just ported to Linux and Valve will be releasing Linux-based console (Steam Box) this year. There are already a few indie games there. Other options are Humble Bundle and Ubuntu Software Center. Almost all indie games there are platformers or shooters. I'm sure a lot of people would like to play a racing game.

So I think if the author would pack a new modernized version it would have a high probability to succeed (also financially).

Just my 0.02$ of encouragement as a casual user ;)

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:14 am

I agree with some of you here, I woudn't do much changes to the game itself indeed, i would only make changes so the game is more accessible to the big crowd, or atleast put priority in that.

-100% Agree, get rid of the demo thing. Make it that the game is free for everyone, and put emphasis on it. But please keep a highlight for the players that did buy a license. As small as when you type /who and see who bought a license is enough for me :p. Also make it possible for other players to still buy a license.

- Implement things like how its done in Trackmania, Teams, Easy access to servers, tracks are already customizable as it is. Statistics, Statistics and Statistics. People like rankings, like to compare themselves with friends and want to set a goal. Don't put to much emphasize on how fast you are and laptimes. Make lap records, but also keep track of how often people drove a track or played. Make tiers or divisions in this. People could grow rankings from e.g. Test Driver to Elite.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Suggestions in "website" forum section should be considered.
-this

-this (That's just an idea. So, something in that manner)

-Also, it's good to have "VIDEOS" tab too. There could be written all links for all TS videos made by its players (ShyGuy's F1 league, puna, FC, battle, team-play etc.). For some new site visitors that could be a quick and easy way to see what TS game is all about ("not just a game with 5 cars and 20 tracks" like you said before).

-Kart car could be included in the game too. x-Kart is the best of all. It should be just a little bit smaller with some more defaultish name.
Last edited by Whiplash on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dede

Post by dede » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Obviously included under the "new website" task.. ;)

arsen36

Post by arsen36 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm

make turbosliders for android! :P

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Changing name of TS :?
Hmm, I was thinking... what if TS change its' own name too. It's never a popular solution, but maybe that could also have influence on its popularity.
Even I'm kinda in love with that name, that's pretty much cause I like the game first of all and I always thought it actually missed the point of what this game is. I mean, come on, what is sliding here now? Seems that even Ande couldn't predict new cars here instead of Slider (the first one). That's also one of the things that probably confuses people all around the internet.
Even we're all used to this one, I 'll rather see more people playing the game, than having few ones likes its name.
I feel that some name where you have part "race" or "racing" included would do a better job. Something like "Ultimate Racing" or "Top Down Racing" could be a good shoot.
There are only 2 problems about this:
1. Ande couldn't do it alone. He would have to engage probably Shaun Tsai again or another artist to change the logos and stuff.
2. Also, all docs in TS folder would have to be cleared from the old name and replaced by the new one.
And yeah, yeah, I'm ready to be stoned now. Bring it on. :twisted:

Manager Mode
There is one obvious thing that Ande left unfinished in v2.0.0 - AI going to pit.
If he could do that for the new version, he would open the gate for some new very sick possibilities. One of them is Manager Mode.
Just imagine this:
-Each of player would prepare about 10-20 driving lines and give them to admin.
-In the race those ai-lines would be randomly read by his own AI driver only.
-Players would control only the pit-stop tactics: fuel, damage, tires, etc.
-By typing the specified key, each player would order to his AI-driver to visit the pit in the next lap.

That's just a base. Just imagine how cool would be to play this in teams where each team can visit only 1 pit box. That, and many other things could make this mode very attractive to many people. It would kill all the other similar games. I'm sure many of GPRO funs would try it too.
Last edited by Whiplash on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lea

Post by Lea » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:24 pm

a rallye-cup...drifting car....small road whit trees on each side...check point....jumps over water....night race with high beams...fog.... i love rallye :)

dede

Post by dede » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Even though Whiplash is usually under drugs, I added two features AI-related to the todo-list:

- possibility to set cars for AI's
- possibility to set fuel strategy for AI's (pits, etc)

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:25 pm

dede wrote:Even though Whiplash is usually under drugs, I added two features AI-related to the todo-list:

- possibility to set cars for AI's
- possibility to set fuel strategy for AI's (pits, etc)
Tnx. Having this combined with other suggestions up there (bigger tracks, bigger number of players, self-controlled camera, bigger number of automated teams, etc.) would be f*** awesome. Yammy.

-Only one more thing. It would be good to have ability to group desired cars. For example, if I create "F1car-a", "F1car-b", "F1car-c", "F1car-d etc., I should have ability to group them all under the name "F1car".
So, even they could have different names and handling settings, all those cars should behave like one car type. On that way the game will not show "fastest lap" and "new record" info for every single of those cars, but those infos for the whole car group. That will be less irritating while driving, and more natural and intuitive.
Also, the game will not generate the .re2 and html files for each of cars, but only for the "F1car" where all of particular cars will belong. :wink:

Fama
Community User Level: 2

Post by Fama » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Although the current message when we join a puna server is very funny:"Puna am a great f****", I think that It should have info about the history of this game: how it started, some basic essential rules about pb. Likewise, some info about the players that Log In would be nice too, so we can know whether It is a new player or not.

New Players might love this game but when they see that message they think that they've joined a strip clup or something and then they immediately uninstall the game, lols.
Last edited by Fama on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Lmfao^^.

But yea that would be a cool feature. But maybe the rules popping every time could get annoying. Make it a line like.

""Are you new to Puna? Type /rules or /history for information.""

And then they get a wall of text. Where they can read everything they need to know.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Almost forgot these important things:
-adding Serbo-Croatian language (Download)
It will be fully understandable for all players from 4 countries of Balkan (Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro).
-adding letters for Japanese and Chinese languages for our yellow brothers
(both: the game and the website)

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 pm

I forgot to mention this:
Recordings - we need jump backward 10 secs. Now we have only jump forward 10 secs. It would be perfect to have "rewind" option too if possible (fast, normal and slow motion) . :wink:

Wokinger

Post by Wokinger » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm

worn tires == less grip
more fuel == less stats, in general, not only acceleration

dede

Post by dede » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Added :)

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 pm

New battle mode: Counter-Strike
2 teams; one is attacking (terrorists), one is defending (counter-terrorists).

First way to win if you're in attacking (terrorists) team is to kill all the defenders (counter-terrorists).
Second way for attacking team to win is to set the bomb in one of 2 (or more) bomb areas within the 1 min (for example) and wait it 30 secs (for example) to explode (we don't need any effect there; the game could just say: "Bomb exploded. Terrorists won!")
Only one randomly picked player will have that bomb at start. If he get killed before he set the bomb down, any of his team mates can take the bomb from him and continue the mission. Opponent players should not be able to do it; they can only watch on it in order to stop other terrorists to pick it up.

First way to win if you're in defending (counter-terrorists) team is to kill all the attackers (terrorists) before they set the bomb.
The other way is to find and defuse the bomb after they set it down.

We should be able to set time for each of these actions:
-Time that terrorists have to set the bomb. (also the length of that setting) - about 5 secs by default)
-Time that counter-terrorists have to defuse the bomb. (also the length of that defusing - about 10 secs by default)

In order to have battle mode improved, we need few more tings:
Improvements for battle mode:
-Including new weapon: the bullets (they should be invisible with adjustable power and speed).
- Possibility to switch between bullets and missiles.
- Possibility to set the amount of unites for each weapon.
- Possibility to reload them in some kind of pit areas or something.
-And, once again, 64 to 360 rot-positions for the cars. It's irritating when you can't shoot at some player while he's positioned at certain angle from you.

Keppana

Post by Keppana » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 pm

Ande requests:
+ increase track size limit to 4000x4000/unlimited
+ cup ranking based on totaltime/best laptimes
+ mute option (only admins can write) ++ nominated mute in seconds [/mute nick 60000] (0=as long as server the exists/till the server restart)
+ possibility to play in teams in races, possibility to set the number of teams (team standings)
+ sectors w/ partial standings
+ personal best notification + stats about current personal best and fastest lap
+ increase number of players in server
+ possibility to set car for AI drivers
+ possibility to define AI fuel tactics
+ possibility to configure what stats change when car has more fuel/less energy

dede

Post by dede » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:27 am

Just to make it clear.. There is a discussion going on with the developer, so if you want new features SAY IT NOW OR NEVER :D

Wokinger

Post by Wokinger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:31 am

dunno if not too much to do, but..

Rally starting system. Starting interval (set by command) or time counted from 1st to last checkpoint.

"Race Resluts" based on real time (having starting intervals).

"Cup standings" - total time of all stages

Add SupeRally system (even for people, who DNS not only DNF) with Addition Time set by command.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Cars - tires and stuff
This should be easy to do:
-I want to have a freedom for taking number of tires for a car. Now we can only set 2 tires, witch is kinda bad.
Turning of a car is based on car-pat, not on tires position as I understood. So, there can't be any problem to add possibility for more than 2 tires. Limit could be 10 at least. With that, my tank will look cooler. :wink:
Also, this would make default cars more natural in curves. For example, now you can cut any curve with Speeder a lot. That's just cause it's long car and it hasn't front tires. Almost all sliding cars are like that (Slider, EasySlider too).
Spinner would be also cooler with that rear 3rd tire. :wink:
Ande could define that only first 2 in the list can produce smoke effects. All others only tire marks.
-Tire marks hardness for each tire on the tarmac should be also part of the car definition. It's weird to see that F1 car leaves such a long and hard tire marks on the tarmac. It should be really soft (except when it touches the grass or dirt). I know I have a option in game menu to totally disable tire marks, but that's not what I want. I want them to be more natural only in certain circumstances (on the tarmac).
On Speeder, I would probably rather to see that first 2 tires makes softer tire marks, than the 2 tires from the back.

-I would like to have ability to turn off sound of brakes for desired cars. For example, F1 car should not have that sound, cause it's unnatural again. It's also weird if you created a tank like I did. :wink:
That can't be so hard to do for sure.
Last edited by Whiplash on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dide Dide

Post by Dide Dide » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 pm

If Possible:
I would like some improvements too in :
- Donwnloading Tracks
* Ability to resume downloads

- Number of Players on a Server
* More than 20 players in a server, cause of there are mods like XBUMPZ , Missile, others. There could be a default number (20) but it would ratter be fun with 100 players or more in big arenas, that power would depend on the server connection.

- Give more customizing car effects instead of just selecting colors.

- For admins - Disable notifications during the race "Like not showing Player 2/20 connected" during the race

- Ability to Show earlier messages, with a push of a button like a scroll bar.

- The game could be able to verify if the player is driving backwards or not that would avoid frustration on cups.

- The game could get some new intro of some of the mods, like cups F1, Punaball, XC from new old players.