Turbo Sliders - New Version

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Etmil
Community User Level: 3

Post by Etmil » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Just have to admit that some of these suggestions are quite ridiculous, to be honest :roll: TS can and should be improved, but I think it's best if the game remained simple. Counter-Strike in TS.. really?

Whiplash
Community User Level: 5

Post by Whiplash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Dide Dide wrote:- The game could be able to verify if the player is driving backwards or not that would avoid frustration on cups.
This is partially possible only if we get sectors. Cause claver backwarders will still be able to make troubles in between of 2 sectors.
Hmmm, but that could be solved maybe too. For example, Ande could make that admin can decide what is the lowest amount of time that some driver can spend inside each of 2 sectors. Like this:
/sectorban 1
/sector1 20 (cause if we set pit stops, first or last sector should let us more time)
/sector2 10
/sector3 10
/sector4 10
Ande could set that max number of sectors is 10.
This is still not a perfect solution, but it would kill most of the bastards for sure. dede wouldn't have to type bans while he's on a track straights anymore. :)

Etmil wrote:Just have to admit that some of these suggestions are quite ridiculous, to be honest :roll: TS can and should be improved, but I think it's best if the game remained simple. Counter-Strike in TS.. really?
Wooot? Seems you missed the point here. I just called it like that.
That mode of battling is the most popular in the FPS game world. I could write its name as "bomb the area". You need to know that "capture the flag" and "bomb the area" are the most played modes on the whole world, so there is nothing ridiculous. Otherwise, I could also say:
-Infiltration in TS??? WTF???
-Football in TS??? WTF man???
-"Pushing the cars on the grass" mode??? Come on man, really?
So, I just noticed what modes people around the world are interested in the most. You can't blame me for that. :wink:

Btw:
More players
-I'm not sure what number all of us have in our brain while asking for a more cars on the track. I 'll say that anything under the 40 should be avoided.
-I want also to mention few important things about this stuff that developer should have in his mind:
a) We should have something like "/qualification mode" command. When we type this command, all players will be automatically set to "ghost + all start from the first position" mode.
b)We should be able to define max number of players in the track editor. It's clear that max number for default tracks will stay 20.

With these things developer will hit 2 flies with 1 move:
-none of the currently existing tracks will collide with the new possibility (more cars) - other words: none of the tracks will have to be modified to be playable in a new version;
-all the old tracks will be playable by more than standard 20 players in the same time (by the "/qualification mode" that I mentioned up there).

Btw, I'm sure that every network could handle even up to 100 players on the track in the same time if we use invisible (100% transparent) ghosts. That's why developer should let us to have more freedom about that number.
Last edited by Whiplash on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gzehoo
Community User Level: 1

Post by Gzehoo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:36 pm

I'm not sure if I can write here, but... there are my suggestions for Turbo Sliders, mainly for Track Editor:

-creating AI line in TE
At this moment I can't race with AIs on tracks created in Editor; AI line (or something like that) in Editor could be good for this game; I could race with CPU players on my own tracks if I can't race online

-what if we could decide about number of players on any track?
E.g. I write in Track Editor that I want to create a track for max. 10 or 24 people and if there is more drivers they can't join a race (they can be only spectators)

Changing name of TS
Hmm... I remember this game as Turbo Sliders and I couldn't use to know its new name.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Gzehoo wrote: -creating AI line in TE
At this moment I can't race with AIs on tracks created in Editor; AI line (or something like that) in Editor could be good for this game; I could race with CPU players on my own tracks if I can't race online
Well, I'm not sure if you knew this, but you can already create driving lines for AI players.
Read document "README-ai.txt" inside of ...\Jollygood Games\Turbo Sliders\doc
You're not doing it with track editor, but at least it's possible to do on another way which is good enough. :wink:

EDIT:
Oh, I just got one new idea about TS documents:

-docs in TS menu
Since many important things about TS abilities are kinda hidden in the ...\Jollygood Games\Turbo Sliders\doc, I was thinking... what about to have an in-game menu option named like "Instructions" where people could read all those documents (.txt files) from inside of the game? :wink:
That would give them better view of all things that TS is able to do and be amazed by it before they decide to leave the game thinking that it hasn't some option they need.
Last edited by Whiplash on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Whiplash wrote:Well, I'm not sure if you knew this, but you can already create driving lines for AI players.
Read document "README-ai.txt" inside of ...\Jollygood Games\Turbo Sliders\doc
You're not doing it with track editor, but at least it's possible to do on another way which is good enough.
Maybe yes but if I could make AI line in Editor it may be less complicated than in other way. Anyway, it was only my suggestion ;)

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Gzehoo wrote:Maybe yes but if I could make AI line in Editor it may be less complicated than in other way. Anyway, it was only my suggestion ;)
I understood. I think that even existing way of creating AI lines would be acceptable for you and other new players if developer could prepare them for you. For example, when we install the game now, we get these shortcuts: Buy The Full Game, Home Page, Manual, Track Editor, Track Records, Turbo Sliders, Uninstall.
He could just prepare an new shortcut that has target "...\Turbo Sliders\sliders.exe" -airecord 1 as a preset and call it "AI Driving Line Editor".
Another shortcut could be named "AI Driving Line Corrector" with target "...\Turbo Sliders\sliders.exe" -lapdebug 1 as a preset. :wink:
They both could be modified in order to suit new players better of course.
It's probably hard for most of them to analyze "output.txt" and delete the correct text lines.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:54 am

-Invisible missiles - that's what I want baby!

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:27 am

Whiplash wrote:-Invisible missiles - that's what I want baby!
You can replace data/missile.png with an empty image! Or maybe even with this? Remarkable how similar that is to the original.

Dide Dide
Community User Level: 2

Post by Dide Dide » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Whiplash wrote: -Infiltration in TS??? WTF???
This mods suck only for u, i have 100% that most players that are online now play Punaball, others can join just from seeing XBZ.
Whiplash wrote: More players
-I'm not sure what number all of us have in our brain while asking for a more cars on the track. I 'll say that anything under the 40 should be avoided.
-I want also to mention few important things about this stuff that developer should have in his mind:
a) We should have something like "/qualification mode" command. When we type this command, all players will be automatically set to "ghost + all start from the first position" mode.
b)We should be able to define max number of players in the track editor. It's clear that max number for default tracks will stay 20.
Hmm, defining number of players in Track Editor...
Looking how that could work:
- We get an event like a F1 Race.
- 40 players join, then Admin set's Cup Mode where is normally
( Warmup <-> Pre-Qualificaton <-> Qualify <-> Race )
- The Pre-Qualification comes and all players start from 1st on Ghost mode (other cars will be seen depending on the ghost level) , which all players drive laps for a certain amount of time like admin gives (10 min's) instead of laps " This could be awesome", the best players depending on the number of players that the track supports will race Qualifying, the rest "The game automatically makes them spectators", instead of ppl waiting for someone that is afk.
The rest is Qualify, could be normal or ghost depends on the cup organizer. and next race.

szymek66

Post by szymek66 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Dide Dide wrote:
This mods suck only for u, i have 100% that most players that are online now play Punaball, others can join just from seeing XBZ.
Seems you didn't read whole Whip's post

Dide Dide

Post by Dide Dide » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:17 pm

szymek66 wrote:
Dide Dide wrote:
Seems you didn't read whole Whip's post
Oh yes... :D Sry whip :roll: :lol:

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Tijny wrote:
Whiplash wrote:-Invisible missiles - that's what I want baby!
You can replace data/missile.png with an empty image! Or maybe even with this? Remarkable how similar that is to the original.
Somehow I knew at the beginning you will come up with that one. :D
But still, really, that little option will make a lot of fun. Also, it will reduce the graphics usage if we get a lot of players on the battlefield. :P
The only thing that must be included is some effect on the place (tree or stone) where the missiles are hitting in. That will give us better orientation.

Keppana

Post by Keppana » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Custom background music for infiltration? In my vision have been a long time to make a BOFH like infiltration "track", based on basic infiltration rules.

Some BOFH videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xv4lRT5ChE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZyFrrgZ1fY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLAMFMbtsMs

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:13 am

Keppana wrote:Custom background music for infiltration?
It would be cool if we could define the directory from which the game would read the songs separately for each kind of competition (racing, XB, infiltration etc). :wink: Maybe that would suit you.
In-game music player would probably save some RAM for us, cause it's probably much better than running the outside music player (Winamp, Media Player etc.)
-Shortcut key for turning the music on/of on the track/map should not be forgotten in case of implementing this.

xzeal

Post by xzeal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:15 am

Whiplash wrote:
Keppana wrote:Custom background music for infiltration?
In-game music player would probably save some RAM for us, cause it's probably much better than running the outside music player (Winamp, Media Player etc.)
My winamp is using 10MB ram right now... in an age where less than 4GB is considered crap. So I figure your "much better" is slightly overstated :).

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:51 pm

-Windows 7 bug
New version should consider one bug people often experienced in the near past (I'm also one of them):
Menu letters and game screen f*** up on Win7 with OpenGL graphic driver.
Here are some topics about it:
Bug on Windows7 (rainerz)
TurboSliders on Windows 7 (reirom) :wink:

-downloading tracks
I'll copy this power79's post from another topic:
power79 wrote:I think the download size of these rally files is problematic because couple players visited server but left after a while.
After we get a 4000x4000 (or unlimited x unlimited) sized tracks, this could be a very common problem. I don't think that reducing the track file sizes is even an option for developer, cause it seems like impossible job. TS tracks are already small enough compared to most of the other similar games. Also, TS is the only racing game I know that even allows you to download the tracks from inside of the game. So, asking for some significant improvements in that area could sound rude to the game developer.

That's why we should think more about the competitions (servers) organizing - which is not primary Ande's job.
For example, good way to make this problem smaller is to split "TRACKS" web tab to two sub-tabs ("SINGLE TRACKS" and "TRACK PACKS"). dede's search engine should work for both.
On this way server hosts could refer players easier to the central place for manual track downloading. They could write the autoserver note like: /say Download track pack for this server at www.turbosliders.com/TRACKS/TRACKPACKS/name_of_pack
Sure, any forum member should be able to create his tracks packs. :wink:

I'm not true if this is easy to do, but developer could make this thing much faster too. In the network menu he could add a "DOWNLOAD TRACKS" option and create the in-game web search engine for that purpose. Track engine would be directed only to the certain www.turbosliders.com track data base. It would list all tracks and track packs we have on the site and let us download any of them from inside of the game. 8)

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:16 am

O.K., I try to make these to be the last ones from me:
-Accurate deleting system in track editor
Now we are able just to delete previous tile (object) from the track (by backspace key), but It could be great if we could delete every single part of the track that we click on. On this way we will not have to put other objects over the old ones to make particular changes on the track. Notepads file (text) will be more cleaner (smaller).

-Realistic movement of the cars as an option
I suggested this before and some of the members thought I would like it as the only possibility. That's not true - I'm talking just about one new great option, not that the old fashion movements must be disabled.
I'm not sure how the game engine works, but I think it would be really a big step forward if we could have this mode. I'll explain it like this:
Cars should not have spinning ability while they are stationary. Cars should have ability to turn left or right only if they accelerate or if they're going reverse.
Also, spinning while flying after the jump should be disabled or hardly reduced. Good example is GeneRally driving game.
I'm sure Ande could make it, but I'm not sure if both of movement types could exist in the same game as 2 modes (options). Maybe the game engine has a restriction there.
I can just imagine how cool F1 races would be having this and I'm quite sure that even default cars races would be great with it. :wink:

Jan

Post by Jan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:31 am

Continuous timer shown in punaball in time limited matches would be nice. Probably one that could be enabled/disabled by pressing tab like the score currently.

Dide Dide

Post by Dide Dide » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Whiplash wrote: -Realistic movement of the cars as an option
If that ever happens i hope that that doesn't become a default option whip, That makes the game even cooler, and that is important thing for PB.
Also Whip making the game more realist sometimes can good but it can make even more boring.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Dide Dide wrote:If that ever happens i hope that that doesn't become a default option whip, That makes the game even cooler, and that is important thing for PB.
Also Whip making the game more realist sometimes can good but it can make even more boring.
Yeah, I had PunaBall in my mind too, even though I think puna could also be played with that mode and still be fun.
That's why it should be optional mode only. :wink:

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:41 pm

F***, I got one really sick idea. I'm sure this would really be not a big problem for Ande to make, and It would revolutionize the game in many ways: I 'll call it:
-Double Attack
By this option 2 players could control 1 car. One of them would be the driver and the another one would be the gunner. :wink:
I'm kinda sure this is not hard to make. The only little problem is finding a nice way of how to help a gunner to be able to see in what exactly direction he's aiming to. But that could be solved with one little simple black line on the car which would represent the gun (luncher), and that's all.
-Developer could even make possible to let us select what limitation we want about the aiming angles. For example, if we want that the gunner is able to shoot only in direction of 20 degrees backwards, we would set:
MinGunAngle 170
MaxGunAngle 190
or GunAngle 170 190
Sure, these numbers are related to the car moving direction, not to the screen (so, if car rotates left, the gun rotates too). That would be probably most common setting for the races.
-But in the battles, we will probably like to let gunner be able to shoot in all directions no matter what car direction is.

Just imagine what cool stuff we could get with this mode:
-A lot of players participating, with not big influence to the Internet resources (40 players - still 20 cars);
-Even people who don't like races would be attracted to play them by this (now they can pick the gun and have fun);
-Battle mode would be more attractive too. We could also combine teambattle + doubleattack etc...etc... :wink:

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Seems that's a way racing could work, one player controls the steering and the other one controls the throttle and brakes! Although the effects of lag could be problematic. Besides, I don't think it's easy to implement at all, it's more than likely the code assumes that players == cars.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Tijny wrote:Seems that's a way racing could work, one player controls the steering and the other one controls the throttle and brakes! Although the effects of lag could be problematic. Besides, I don't think it's easy to implement at all, it's more than likely the code assumes that players == cars.
Well that little gun couldn't lag that much I guess. :P Even if he does, it will nut interrupt the driver a lot. Also, it can't affect shooting timing a lot too (few milliseconds are nothing for the gunner).
I'm kinda thinking that big ping could easier affect a driver than a gunner. Gun would actually be another "car" (looking like a little gun) fixed to the regular car. So, if we can get 40 cars on the track, why 20 of them can't be the guns? What's the difference between 40 cars on one side and 20 cars + 20 guns on another?
Oh..., maybe you're thinking that shaking (lagging) car will interrupt the gunner cause gunner will be forced to watch on that car even he's not controlling it, which is not the case now. Now we don't have to watch the cars we don't control and that's why it doesn't bother us a lot (except when they are very close to us). Hmm, yeah, that could ruin the thing. I hope Ande could undeceive you.
Maybe the car could be hidden for a gunner (non-visible ghost). He could be able to see only the opponent cars? :P Blah, and I was so optimistic about this at the beginning. T really knows how to f*** up someone's day. :evil:

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Tijny wrote:Seems that's a way TEAM racing could work
patetic, forgetting most important word..
Whiplash wrote:Oh..., maybe you're thinking that shaking (lagging) car will interrupt the gunner cause gunner will be forced to watch on that car even he's not controlling it, which is not the case now. Now we don't have to watch the cars we don't control and that's why it doesn't bother us a lot (except when they are very close to us). Hmm, yeah, that could ruin the thing. I hope Ande could undeceive you.
And yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Wokinger

Post by Wokinger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 pm

I more thing for F1.

2 kind of startpos: race and practice.

When practice startpos are active it could be possible to join game, when race is in progress and when you are in pit you should be allowed to set fuel (startfuel active in race, when u are in pit).

also soft and hard tyres. You could set it by commands "starttyre") and in race by clicking 's' or 'h' in pit.