Turbo Sliders - New Version

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fama
Community User Level: 2

Post by Fama » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm

One thing I have in mind: is it possible to change puna in game sounds by ourselves? I mean there are the default ones but players could have the ability to change some of the fundamental sounds. I like this but maybe its just pathetic.

P.s- also a replay mode would be great( where players could decide before the game if they want with or without goal replays) this would be great in some games that you really like to enjoy and appreciate some of your masterpieces: one of the main problems of this is that or you make a video of some of your best goals, or there is not possible to save instantly some of the best goals you ever scored. Result: memory faillure and the goals are erased forever.
I really like the idea of players sharing their puna deeds and doubts through a video with the community . But currently its not easy for players to do that and the vast majority don't have patience to build a video from scratch using video/image editors.

Whiplash
Community User Level: 5

Post by Whiplash » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:44 pm

-lap counting
O.K., I was just playing some F1 races with some amateurs in the FIRPLAY F1 RACING server and I found that even with more than 3 years experience, this lap counting still confuses me very often, especially when I'm trying to calculate the fuel during the race.
It would be really much better and more natural if the game could show what lap you're driving in, instead of how many laps you finished.
This reminds me on one post of newcomer Afinfas where he said:
Afinfas wrote:EDIT: BTW...this lap system also goes on my nerves! Lap 0??? last lap is 11 from 12??? doesnt make sense for me....i never know in which lap i am really! :D
Mike Nike gave his explanation why this counting system is implemented and I'm pretty sure Ande was really fallowed that logic:
Mike Nike wrote:hmm..dont know right now, but..probably because there is the laptime info.
so you dont wanna write: last lap: 17.123, current lap: 4/18. to save space on the screen you just go for 17.123 and corresponding the "this laptime was done in lap: 3/18"-line.
But we need to know that other games (Generally, for example, too) are counting laps nicely even lap numbers and lap times doesn't correspond each other. Still, that doesn't make any confusions while you're playing it. So, stats like:
L: 2/40
P: 1/20
wouldn't confuse people actually even there is not mentioned corresponding (lap time belongs to the previous lap). The thing is that Ande would have to make some extra coding to make the exclusion for the last laps. If the game would show what lap you're in, then he have to make an exclusion for last lap - after passing finish line, lap number should not be changed there. Otherwise, if you drive 1 lap race, it would show L: 2/1 on the end even there is no lap 2 in fact.

So, I'm asking for this little change, cause that will make things be more natural than they are now, especially if we have the newcomers in our vision by the new version. :wink:
Current system makes things confusing also always when somebody is referring you to the recording video. For example, whenever somebody says: "Look at the 26. lap", I never know does that really mean lap 26., or it means lap 25. (cause that's what game shows you on the screen when you're in lap 26.). :?
So, please, put this little suggestion on the list. :wink:

-maxmissilesperplayer
One little but important line should be added there. When I type /show missiles it lists all commands except one:

Code: Select all

MaxMissilesPerPlayer (default 2)
Seems like Ande forgot it while making past versions even he made that command working. That's small, but important thing. Otherwise people would never find that it exists. :wink:
Last edited by Whiplash on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Wokinger
Community User Level: 3

Post by Wokinger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Whiplash wrote:-lap counting
O.K., I was just playing some F1 races with some amateurs in the FIRPLAY F1 RACING server and I found that even with more than 3 years experience, this lap counting still confuses me very often, especially when I'm trying to calculate the fuel during the race.
It would be really much better and more natural if the game could show what lap you're driving in, instead of how many laps you finished.
This reminds me on one post of newcomer Afinfas where he said:
Afinfas wrote:EDIT: BTW...this lap system also goes on my nerves! Lap 0??? last lap is 11 from 12??? doesnt make sense for me....i never know in which lap i am really! :D
I would argue with you. There are different conventions. TS uses one of them. If u change it, old players will get lost.

Anyway we could think about new hud modes. Did not check if it was mentioned, but Fastest Lap Classification HAVE TO BE! Most of games in F1 are just for hunting FL!

Another think (imo, really useful) is displaying fuel and damage value with better precision. There are tracks, where you burn more than 2% and less than 3% fuel, but to make sure how much you need to drive more lap. If you have decimals or even hundredths displayed you could calculate and control your parameters easier!

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:59 am

Edit: nvm delete this lol.

Amount of laps finished is good for me, so used to it in TS. So don't change it!

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 am

-random x number of tracks from certain folder (autoserver)
This is the thing I miss the most when I'm creating a server. Now only players with the programming knowledge can do it.
I 'll explain it better:
I would like to have a possibility to order the server to run x number of tracks from desired folder randomly. Tijny managed to get 2 types of randomizing automatic track picking.
-the first one is standard random picking;
-the second one allows random track picking between all the tracks except the ones who are already played. So, basically, if some track is played, it is not in the competition for random picking as long as all tracks aren't played yet too. This allows one great advantage - we never get the same track in two cups in a row.

I would like if developer could make us all be able to have this thing even we are not familiar with the programming. :wink:

Rendy Andrian

Post by Rendy Andrian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:14 am

I don't know if this is listed on the front page or not but can the AIs have their own AI Lines for pitting?

How about time-based races for endurance race's sake?
RACING SINCE 2007
OFFICIAL SITE - BLOG - TWITTER

Wokinger

Post by Wokinger » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:11 pm

-In pit it should be possible to change amount of fuel by command. Actually you can't reduce amount of fuel..

-terrain with speed limit

DeBoer

Post by DeBoer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:57 am

Hi,

- possibility to generate real-time statistics per lap not like it's at the moment after a race, which could really help for presenting results on irc/website etc.
- as far as 'more players on the server', possibility for admin to choose players for a race (rest of the players become specs but with 'nick name' not as spectator is now with ip address)

Thanks

xzeal

Post by xzeal » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:42 pm

In a perfect world the 2.1 version would be released for the 10 year anniversary of TS (which I am assuming is the release of v0.30b? 2003-04-16).

March always make me feel nostalgic in TS (Happy 9 years of TS to you Mike Nike, although I might be off with a week or so)...

0.86b cup anyone?

Rendy Andrian

Post by Rendy Andrian » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 am

I just thought about this from yesterday: Each terrain could have its own sound effects. This way, we can hear the sliding (and braking) on mud as "srrrrr", we hear "grrrrr" each time we're running on rocky terrains, and there's this "shhhhh" sound whenever we wanted to create a wet tarmac.

This should be useful, especially if we are to make rally/rallycross-oriented tracks
RACING SINCE 2007
OFFICIAL SITE - BLOG - TWITTER

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:49 am

Rendy Andrian wrote:I just thought about this from yesterday: Each terrain could have its own sound effects. This way, we can hear the sliding (and braking) on mud as "srrrrr", we hear "grrrrr" each time we're running on rocky terrains, and there's this "shhhhh" sound whenever we wanted to create a wet tarmac.

This should be useful, especially if we are to make rally/rallycross-oriented tracks
I like this idea. :)
I'm just not sure if Ande would be interested. Cause he needs to buy those sounds somewhere. Now he's doing only the coding stuff.
Btw, if implemented, those sounds should be quiet in the background. Otherwise they could be irritating.

Fama

Post by Fama » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Will this new version have a replay mode with a save option included? I mean, In puna it would be very useful...Especially to start advertising the game In the various communication channels.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Famagusta$ wrote:Will this new version have a replay mode with a save option included? I mean, In puna it would be very useful...Especially to start advertising the game In the various communication channels.
The replay you described up there isn't really necessary as long we have ability to save the replay of whole match/race. You can use it for advertising already. Look how cool T's youtube video was.
I mean, I would like to have it for fun. I just think Ande can spend his coding time much more constructively.

Fama

Post by Fama » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Yes, tijny's video is the pinnacle of puna videos, but unfortunately it's just one or two videos that you have available since most of the players don't want to rec a whole match and then use fraps to save a, b or c goal. It's a hell of a process and not every player have tijny's ability to make that.

Anyways, I was just saying that an instant save goal mode would be nice to start making some real ownage videos on youtube like tijny did but In an easiest way.

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:37 pm

How I did that is I wrote a program that cuts a selection of goals from a .tsr recording with the click of a button. Without that, making the video would've been infinitely more difficult. For whoever's interested, download the program here. I've also been meaning to make another video for a while now and have quite a bit of nice footage, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Tijny wrote:How I did that is I wrote a program that cuts a selection of goals from a .tsr recording with the click of a button. Without that, making the video would've been infinitely more difficult. For whoever's interested, download the program here. I've also been meaning to make another video for a while now and have quite a bit of nice footage, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
F***!!! And how could I never hear about this before??? This should be an official tool for the game.
Can you make this kind of tool for extracting desired lap from .tsr? I would like to have it for extracting fastest laps especially, but for other laps too.
The only thing you should consider is including few secs (3-5) before the lap starts and the same after lap ends. Maybe you already made that for DIT???

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Whiplash wrote:F***!!! And how could I never hear about this before??? This should be an official tool for the game.
Can you make this kind of tool for extracting desired lap from .tsr? I would like to have it for extracting fastest laps especially, but for other laps too.
The only thing you should consider is including few secs (3-5) before the lap starts and the same after lap ends. Maybe you already made that for DIT???
f*** I posted a topic about this tool a few years ago, but apparently you weren't alive yet at that time!

I did write two tools for that in the past but one is written in PHP and horrendously slow and the other is an unfinished command line tool, the one that you could also use to merge videos. Not really happy with the way I coded that either. But I'm looking for a project to practice my programming skills, so maybe I'll create a new tool for this. Or maybe not. We'll see!

Fama

Post by Fama » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Amazing, nice tool, when I made my video with stealth we spent afternoons watching games and then we couldn't fail because there was no rewind button. It's a hell of an improvement with this extractor. btw, do you use fraps to record after or other program? I'm not the biggest fan of fraps to be honest. Thanks :)

power79

Post by power79 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Whiplash wrote:
Tijny wrote:How I did that is I wrote a program that cuts a selection of goals from a .tsr recording with the click of a button. Without that, making the video would've been infinitely more difficult. For whoever's interested, download the program here. I've also been meaning to make another video for a while now and have quite a bit of nice footage, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
F***!!! And how could I never hear about this before??? This should be an official tool for the game.
I could try to do this if Tijny tells me how to read those .tsr files.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:02 pm

We should also ask Ande to create his own version of T's TSRWorkshop. The thing I miss there is better accuracy and having ability to merge more than 2 videos (cars).

Btw, my suggestion goes to:

-new folder in the game directory called "tools" where we could put them all together
Maybe they have to be inside of the same folder as slider.exe, but I'm sure they all can be precoded in order to work well from "tools" folder in the future.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Afinfas wrote:
Keppana wrote:Why not to add a link "Visit Forums" to main menu in game? or why not add forum link to Playtrix servers information?
Yeah guys..im checking old threads! :lol:

I just wanted to say that this is a very smart suggestion!!! Make it on initial game menu a link for FORUM to register in online competitions!!!
So, this could be placed instead of Buy The Full Game :wink:

Afinfas

Post by Afinfas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Ande wrote:One reason I am not that eager to release the source code is that I am a bit ashamed to show you all the hacks and shortcuts I did :).
First of all Ande. You shouldnt at all be ashamed, cmon you created a great game that makes persons have fun what you want more? ;)
NSGP (NewstarGP) developer Simon Sired (That just won a BAFTA award last March) had the same feeling you are having when speaking about releasing the code! I guess its something common to Programmers! :lol: But he indeed released it (even if restrained to the core community) and the game can only benefit from it. Having more eyes to perfection it!

--------------------------

About suggestions for V-2.1:

Well i too have been for quite some time gathering suggestions for NSGP and i think i can transpose quite some to here. I just think that its important that we define priorities since Ande will not have much time to do it.
So i will separate what i think it really would bring something more to TS and probably wouldnt costs loads of Ande´s time to do it.

Priorities: (No order or preference)
  • "..turn from 64 rot-positions to at least the double. 360 would be the perfect solution." (Quoting whipslash). Like this, car will get much more smooth cause currently looks like the pointers of a clock. This i agree would make possible to have more unique driving lines, specially related with the next point, AI Lines!!!
  • Pitstops for the COM drivers (aiLines)Extremely important to keep players playing the game.
  • Kind of a single player mode based in one chosen category of cars.
  • Please change the lap counting system. Im sorry Pingu but...its completely absurd and only cause you guys are used to it its not really a valid argument to leave it like that. Its so confusing man!!! Lap 0 of 24 whats that? Race finishes on lap 23 of 24???
  • Fuel left shown in amount of laps NSGP style. Works perfectly there. Like at end of each lap showing 17.3 laps remaining for example and theres 18 laps left so you need to spare fuel.
  • Dynamic weather. Rain showing up in the middle of the race and everyone has to change to wet tires.
  • Different tyre types. SOFT, HARD and WET at least!
  • As soon as there is a take over, the stats should be updated. Not like now that only when you cross finishing line you know which position you really are! :shock:
  • Able to go back on replay! As others said like forward but backwards. 10 or 5 secs, whatever.
  • Flag system for overlapping slower drivers. MRO (mini racing online does it pretty good) Check this pic: http://www.miniracingonline.com/imagene ... ews/23.jpg
    In Coding is something like. When distance is less then 4s or so, THEN, show up blue flag on top of players car!
  • A better edit mode to make tracks. Its a big part why Genrally is so popular. Theres hundreds of tracks made by users. TS has it but its very hard to make consistent tracks!
OK, for now that is what i have for priorities....things that are a must for 2.1 in my opinion!

-------------------

Now about making the game have more persons!

Advertising of Turbo Sliders

I agree that the Website is simply too messy for a newcomer to be attracted to it and simply to get info about the game. Sorry Dede, i know you made a lot of work on it. :( All that info could still be there but not on first page of website!

Promo-VIDEO

100% agreed that a video promoting the new version should be made! And we have a great guy to make it. ShyGuy has more then proved that he can make incredible/appealing videos! So on first page should be that! Also so that we can advertise it anywhere else over the internet! Its a must!

Game Menu

I agree that a link for the forum page where you have all info about the current online competition should be on main menu of the game. Instead of CHAT?

Ok...im too tired to write more stuff but...i have plenty of them, the question is what is Ande willing to do!!! :?:

I read whole thread and there are many great ideas and others that need to be filtered!
My eyes shined today as soon as i got to know this thread. I didnt knew an update would be so soon! :D

Ok, now here are 3 fotos of how NSGP handles the stats and fuel gauge. I dont want to be BIAS but it works pretty well there and i could easly see it on TS v2.1:

Stats and laps 1/21 not 0/21 :lol:

Fuel left

NSGP Menu before it starts race where you simply choose tyre type and amount of fuel and KERS or not!
When we go to pits the same menu shows up! Simple and doesnt need commands to put fuel!

PS: Btw....is it possible to fix this on this forum that doesnt support images with spaces or this kind of signs (&). I had to upload 3 times these photos cause it wouldnt accept it! Grrrr...
"Dont forget to be happy!"

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Afinfas wrote:I just think that its important that we define priorities since Ande will not have much time to do it.
You should read posts more carefully cause dede already made a filtered list in the first post. So you mentioned here some of things who are already on that list. :wink:
Afinfas wrote:Please change the lap counting system. Im sorry Pingu but...its completely absurd and only cause you guys are used to it its not really a valid argument to leave it like that. Its so confusing man!!! Lap 0 of 24 whats that? Race finishes on lap 23 of 24???
I totally support this one even some players don't feel it like a good change. TS should care more about newcomers, and those ones never saw that kind of lap counting before for sure. It's much easier for hard core players to get use to a "normal" counting system, than just push the new players into the logic of the current one.
Afinfas wrote:Fuel left shown in amount of laps NSGP style. Works perfectly there. Like at end of each lap showing 17.3 laps remaining for example and theres 18 laps left so you need to spare fuel.
You should know few things about TS's "engine" while asking for this. It just doesn't work as NSGP, so this kind of suggestion can't be implemented. TS can't predict on a relevant way how many laps you can drive with some amount of fuel. There are too many factors who don't allow it: many different types of cars/tracks/player's skill etc. Its calculations could be comic very often. Anyway, fuel counting you suggesting is kinda amateurish even if it's possible to make. Current one is more tricky on the way that isn't stupid (it's natural, and that's nice about it actually). I 'll also say it's kinda more serious, which is good. So, no big reason to "improve" it. :wink:
Afinfas wrote:Dynamic weather. Rain showing up in the middle of the race and everyone has to change to wet tires.
Same thing as I said up there. TS just can't handle anything that is "dynamic" on the way you desire.
But one good thing about this maybe could be done. For example, I'm pretty sure Ande could make that track can gradually become dry after it was rainy all along the most driven driving line. I hope dede will put this on the list.
Afinfas wrote:As soon as there is a take over, the stats should be updated. Not like now that only when you cross finishing line you know which position you really are! :shock:
Again the same. :wink: But, yeah, that problem is noticed already and can only be solved by including the checkpoints - which is even better than counting position in every spot in my opinion. Checkpoints are again kinda more natural and give more seriousness to the game. :wink:

Afinfas

Post by Afinfas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:48 pm

Yeah i know that some of the suggestions i made were already made but its simply too hard to keep track of what was said and what wasnt!
Also, i wanted to make clear that they are important things and its not only the wish of a freak or so.

About the way TS is made...unfortunately i dont have a clue of how it works so i only can say as a player and not developer. ;)

Theres loads of things to say about it but...im simply too tired at the moment to see what was said and what not. Its 4 pages of huge posts full of ideas so i just say the things that for me are Priority on the game! :)

About the NSGP examples...its not that i would like to have it exactly like that. I dont...im just pointing what works very nice there in comparising with TS. A simple menu to decide on different tires/fuel for example.

I hate how all info on TS is so small!!! (Yeah i know the font size was already mentioned) :lol:

--------------------------------------

Any update on the progress of the update??? I mean...did Ande already started watching ideas or coding?

ps: About Draft. I didnt mention it but...im not really sure if it would bring much to this game. The game its alreadu very fast to even implement this. In general i like it. But what i really want to say about this update is:

What i see as a big thing in a game is the fact that there are no limitations! You are free to decide how you want things so. Instead of deleting some things simply add more stuff. Like, having no limit of track size or amount of players for example! Freedom of choice! :)

Afinfas

Post by Afinfas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:56 pm

About DEMO name. ..

Yeah, agreed, should be removed! FREE Full game instead or so!
I just think it would be important/clever to give some cool features to the guys who buy the license! Like possibility of editing colors/car...mainly customization stuff! :)