Making TS More n00b friendly

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shyguy1001
Community User Level: 5

Making TS More n00b friendly

Post by shyguy1001 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:40 am

So, trying to introduce some new people to ts recently has made me realise TS is a great game but not very n00b friendly.. for one thing, can we please remove all references to a demo from the website? Please???? I hate having to explain every time! I cant think how many people are put off as well when they visit and see that and think the whole game is not free.. Lets just remove it! Remove the page where it says about "buying a license" too, and if possible remove the splash screen whenever you exit the demo version.

Also, when the new version is released, it could possibly come with the F1-Major or whatever car and a few F1 tracks as standard.. just an idea.

I am convinced TS community would grow much quicker if it was marketed well, a few simple steps PLEASE so that the new people I bring to the game arent so confused all the time :D
www.youtube.com/sliderstv <---- Best Turbosliders Videos ever made ;)

Whiplash

Re: Making TS More n00b friendly

Post by Whiplash » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:19 pm

shyguy1001 wrote:So, trying to introduce some new people to ts recently has made me realise TS is a great game but not very n00b friendly.. for one thing, can we please remove all references to a demo from the website? Please???? I hate having to explain every time! I cant think how many people are put off as well when they visit and see that and think the whole game is not free.. Lets just remove it! Remove the page where it says about "buying a license" ...
You're probably speaking about the old website. dede already made an improvement with the new homepage - it's clean and has no "demo" shits. But yeah, the old layout should be cleaned of those craps too.
Anyway, I still think that he could be even more direct there. So, instead of writing "Turbo Sliders is a FREE racing game with a top-down perspective...", he should write "Turbo Sliders is a FULL & FREE racing game with a top-down perspective...".
shyguy1001 wrote:...and if possible remove the splash screen whenever you exit the demo version.
That's already considered as a thing to be done for the new version. :wink:
shyguy1001 wrote:Also, when the new version is released, it could possibly come with the F1-Major or whatever car and a few F1 tracks as standard.. just an idea.
I think dede also mentioned that as a thing to do. I'm just afraid that the game will lose it's "defaultishness" by that. I mean, those cars and tracks will not match good with other default cars. But, I guess we can think about it.

GR8Arjen
Community User Level: 3

Post by GR8Arjen » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Get this game available for free on Steam and we will have billions of new players in a heartbeat! (Well at least a couple thousands. :wink:)

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:42 pm

GR8Arjen wrote:Get this game available for free on Steam and we will have billions of new players in a heartbeat! (Well at least a couple thousands. :wink:)
Hmm, I'm wondering what rules there are. If the Steam will insist on losing standalone installation, then that would suck. If there is no bad requirements, then some idea like this would be a great hit actually.
Can you research it a little bit? What rules Steam is requiring about it? I never used Steam.

Erik Holland

Post by Erik Holland » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:02 am

shyguy1001 wrote:So, trying to introduce some new people to ts recently has made me realise TS is a great game but not very n00b friendly.. for one thing, can we please remove all references to a demo from the website? Please???? I hate having to explain every time! I cant think how many people are put off as well when they visit and see that and think the whole game is not free.. Lets just remove it! Remove the page where it says about "buying a license" too, and if possible remove the splash screen whenever you exit the demo version.

Also, when the new version is released, it could possibly come with the F1-Major or whatever car and a few F1 tracks as standard.. just an idea.

I am convinced TS community would grow much quicker if it was marketed well, a few simple steps PLEASE so that the new people I bring to the game arent so confused all the time :D
As a total nOOb i find it frustrating to have to create AI lines for every track i download

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:55 am

No one plays the AI mang, they are shit :D The best thing about this game is the online competitions, atm there are four I know of going on - SCARTS FTC and RS (based on NASCAR), PTM (based on touring cars) and F1SL (based on F1). Im working on getting some more up and running soon to try and reinvigorate the community.

If you wanna see what these cups look like, why not check out www.youtube.com/sliderstv where there are full race videos of some races including a whole season of Turbosliders premier competition, the Turbosliders.com F1 League :)

Jan

Post by Jan » Fri May 02, 2014 11:37 am

Erik, unfortunately there isn't online competitions for default cars nowadays as almost everyone who liked the default cars have quit playing. I suggest you checking the punaball servers as they're still quite active and in my opinion the only really fun thing alive in this game anymore. The other competitions have grown out of the classic arcade racing that TS once was and everyone just wants realistic racing which is boring in my opinion. TS is the wrong game to prioritize realism.

shyguy1001

Post by shyguy1001 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Grumpy Jan, this topic is about making TS more n00b friendly to try and grow the community, not putting them off :P Watch SlidersTV, get a taste for it. :) (the newbie not you Jan :D )