It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:03 pm

F1 Fairplay Server

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Tijny

Community User Level: 5

F1 Fairplay Server

PostSun Nov 30, 2014 6:04 pm

As you may have seen, we are currently testing a new car on the F1 fair play server. It has significantly reduced handling and braking to make for a more natural driving experience, and also 360 rotations for smoother turning. Note that this is not the final version, it is still subject to change according to the feedback people give.

I also added a number of new tracks this week. The complete track pack can be downloaded here.

Jurgen-NL

Community User Level: 4

Re: F1 Fairplay Server

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 5:18 pm

ummm i know yesterday you said its a new car you cant see records... however a few things bothered me while i was racing with matic this afternoon

1 a situation where matic got a record time with xx.xxx (c) <drafting , while my lap time was in the end of the race faster and without a (c) and i only got a message that i drove the fastest lap and not the record lap.

few tracks it was vice versa i got a record time with xx.xxx (c) and matic in the end drove faster lap and he only got a fastest lap and not the record lap.

2 we raced some tracks yesterday and i know some of them were exactly same named as today.
But i still didn't see a record time to hunt within the bar where you see all the nicknames and where in version 2.0.0 you were also able to see the record(s).

3 after the race was over on some tracks i wasnt even able to see the laptimes i drove that session using the menu options where you can view the top 20-30 laptimes orso?

i think this is it for now and hopefully its just a problem within the server and not the game
Dont beg for things do it yourself or else you wont get anything!!

Tijny

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Did you move the car files out of /cars/tmp into /cars? I think that's needed in order to see the lap records.

About 1), I find that hard to believe. Do you have any logs to back that up, or at least a track name so I can look into it?

Jurgen-NL

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Race starting: 8 laps in TSE_Arenberg with 2 players, non-ghost race
Message: Message from admin: Visit our official website: www.turbosliders.com
Message: Autoserver cup pause before next race is 40 seconds.
Message: Track 5/10 will be S_BalticRing_w (by Scud (Rain by [iR] lux)). 8 laps.

Stats for the race in TSE_Arenberg:

RaceStats, 8 laps, 2 players, first finished
Jurgen-NL pos 1 (time: 6:06.517, 8 laps), best lap: 8 (41.762) F1-Prime-v1 31425204
Lap times: 46.630 43.285 42.892 1:02.076c 45.038 42.348 42.486 41.762
Matic pos 2 (time: 6:11.596, 8 laps), best lap: 7 (42.310) F1-Prime-v1 5d46026f
Lap times: 46.821c 43.589c 42.974c 57.482c 45.710 50.168 42.310 42.542
Best lap was made by Jurgen-NL

Graph for the race in TSE_Arenberg:
(Cut'n'paste to a spreadsheet program to get a graph)

Graph data:
Winner laps: 8, total time: 6:06.517, average lap: 45.814
"Jurgen-NL" 0 0.816 -1.714 -4.636 11.625 10.848 7.382 4.053 0.000
"Matic" 0 1.007 -1.219 -4.059 7.608 7.503 11.857 8.352 5.079

Cup Stats:
----------
1. Matic 95
2. Jurgen-NL 85

Message: <Jurgen-NL> simply because you were drafting yours counts as a record

Whiplash

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 12:34 am

EDIT: I'll take this post as an evidence of a bug.

Whiplash

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 1:19 am

I've tested the current version of F1 car. I couldn't clearly say what I've been thinking about the previous one, but this one simply sux. It should be renamed to "F1-Kissing_the_Arjen's_ass". But, seriously, I played few races and I wasn't able even once to get the car aligned with the straights.
Last version at least didn't have that problem, even it was on the edge too. I was thinking that you'll even reduce steering a bit on that previous version, cause it was turning too fast in slower curves. Grip was already perfect on it, especially when you were driving trough the fast straights. And the thing that I also liked was the fact that there was smaller difference between good and average drivers. That car was cartoonish, but it had a soul.
Now you basically got another F1-Premium, only rendered in 360 images, that actually makes you a problems.

Hevonen

Community User Level: 2

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 3:33 am

I think the new car is good, except the straight line problem. Is that even possible to fix with the smoother angles? I guess it is, if whip is complaining. Still, I liked the old car more and how aggressively you could attack all the corners and the feeling of speed (ask Arjen), with this car it's still there but much of it is lost. With whip's car, everything is lost. At first I wasn't sure which I'd like more but now it seems obvious. But my mind may change. Also it's good to have something different at times. Lap times are slower which is a bad thing, the top speed could be faster at least. Also I don't like how much more it uses fuel now, and fuel savers (not me generally) seems to be able to do even longer stints than before. I lost to laf a few times even though my lap times were 1-2s faster.

Tijny

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 10:23 am

Whiplash wrote:I've tested the current version of F1 car. I couldn't clearly say what I've been thinking about the previous one, but this one simply sux.

I have been trying really hard to find a point to your post, but I couldn't discover it... I can align it with the straights just fine.

Should I put the F1-NG on the server to see how people like that, is that what you're saying?

Whiplash

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 11:36 am

Tijny wrote:...I can align it with the straights just fine.

Me too, with some major luck. I was also watching Hev's driving - he couldn't align too, at least not in 70-80% cases.

Hevonen wrote:I liked the old car more and how aggressively you could attack all the corners and the feeling of speed (ask Arjen), with this car it's still there but much of it is lost.

When I've mentioned previous car, I was thinking about first F1-Prime. That was kinda ok.
Anyway, F1-Premium was just too bad - no doubt. Same goes with the current car. Drafting also lost sense.

Oompa

PostFri Dec 05, 2014 1:06 pm

The cars definitely are alignable. One has to adjust alot, and the draft is nice too. Overall it adds more spectacle, but the sound. The sound! DAMN THAT SOUND! No amateurwish, you crybaby. Nothing but pure essence.

Oompa

PostFri Dec 05, 2014 3:30 pm

The reverse of the car is the wrong way :)

Whiplash

PostFri Dec 05, 2014 10:22 pm

Oompa wrote:The reverse of the car is the wrong way :)

Really? :shock:

Oompa

PostFri Dec 05, 2014 11:19 pm

Am I late, you sarcastic warmongering scufflebag of little interest? Might I smite thee into ruin upon that which the day shall never shine again! Yes. The reverse is broken, but sometimes true. Even though my thoughts sometimes linger nowhere, they still choose psychotism over the wretched alley in which you fester, over and over again, until beyond the end of time.

-x- :-)

Whiplash

PostSat Dec 06, 2014 1:04 am

Reverse turning was wrong on the old car (F1-Premium). Now it's correct.

P.S.
And speak English, please. :P

Oompa

PostSat Dec 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Oh. Well, can't help being used to better days long gone. Sound fixed yet? :-)

Jurgen-NL

PostSat Dec 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Oompa wrote:Oh. Well, can't help being used to better days long gone. Sound fixed yet? :-)

Tijny wrote:wtf, use the F1 server topic mang!

There was actually an annoying click in the old sound, but I just fixed that, so I will put it back in the next version of the car. This is just a prototype after all. For the time being though, you can look up the sound file in /cars/tmp, and replace it with the sound of your choosing.

Oompa you can replace the sound by yourself if you dont like it instructions above :)

Oompa

PostSat Dec 06, 2014 5:49 pm

What are you meddling about? I have new pc! My old files are gone :-(

GR8Arjen

Community User Level: 3

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 4:32 am

First of all, happy to be back home... I was on vacation for a week. Which came as a bit of a surprise to me as well, since I was asked rather unexpected and had to decide quickly to join up with a friend to be traveling to Egypt. (Who is gonna say no to that hehe)

Anyway...

The days before I left, I drove a lot with the current car, and although I disliked it a bit when Tijny introduced it, I was rather quick with it and... while getting used to it I even started to like it. But... This went on for 2 days or so and eventually, the more I drove it, the more I started to dislike it again and unfortunately I quickly found myself annoyed by it thinking about what we had before.

Whiplash wrote:I've tested the current version of F1 car. I couldn't clearly say what I've been thinking about the previous one, but this one simply sux. It should be renamed to "F1-Kissing_the_Arjen's_ass". But, seriously, I played few races and I wasn't able even once to get the car aligned with the straights.
Last version at least didn't have that problem, even it was on the edge too. I was thinking that you'll even reduce steering a bit on that previous version, cause it was turning too fast in slower curves. Grip was already perfect on it, especially when you were driving trough the fast straights. And the thing that I also liked was the fact that there was smaller difference between good and average drivers. That car was cartoonish, but it had a soul.
Now you basically got another F1-Premium, only rendered in 360 images, that actually makes you a problems.

"F1-Kissing_the_Arjen's_ass" :lol: Why you think this is beyond me, I had no saying in the settings of Tijny's creation, but yeah, compared to the NG it felt like a car, instead of a brick on wheels. :P

If I were to choose, I would still prefer the premium over the current version, and even better, I would prefer the F1-Beta2c (and I think I am not alone at this) over the premium. (considering the tracks were using now, since most of them are designed for that car. Just drive both these cars on the "slower, tight tracks, to see what I mean, and or, the tracks that have fast corners you used to be able to take flat out with the Beta2c, while with the premium you need to lift for a bit)

The F1-Premium (and Beta2c), although cartoonish (Which I don't mind) are just so much more fun to drive, then any of the newer prototype attempts.

- You can have much better battles with it. (It allows you much better to drive side by side in a corner, and on the straights it reacts much faster so (like a real F1) you can instantly switch lines on the straight while slipstreaming in order to attempt an overtake. (with the current car you are likely to hit the car in front of you, because it just reacts to slow, especially if the opponent moves with you. You simply can't lure him into a mistake with a fake move anymore.)
- The feeling of speed is much more there, which makes them to be more appealing as the "Fastest" class/car on TS.
I totally agree with what Hevonen said: It really allows you to "attack" the corners, which just gets the adrenaline pumping! You can get into a "zone" with the car, and all goes natural. This goes so far that once you make a mistake and you get out of the "zone" your were in, it can lead to mistake after mistake. In order to recooperate, you would need to take a deep breath, re-focus and then you can get your confidence back and "attack" the corners again. It is just so much more exciting.
- Being pushed by another car does not make you loose so much time (which is very frustrating)
- Your fingers don't hurt as much after some races due to the lower speeds and thus the need to keep pressing the keys in the long sweeping corners.
- It is much easier to learn/be competitive with it which will be more attractive for new players.
- More fun to drive in general
- Better sound

*Conclusion*

Although I appreciate the efforts both Whip and Tijny have put into the new cars we tested. I (and I think most of the F1 server regulars) would prefer the old cars, but ofc with the slipstreaming, and higher rotations (although this does make it harder to align the cars on the straights) To improve overtaking a bit more, I would suggest a bit less braking power (10-15%) (longer brake areas result in more overtaking possibilities)

The best F1 League we had was with the F1-Beta2c, and over 30 players attempted each week to get a spot in the top 20 to get into the "main event" during the weekly wank qualifying. Lets just spend our efforts in getting this back instead of spending time in new cars! (I mean... WHY? WHY do we need them at the first place???)

Regards,

ME :P

Tijny

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 10:52 am

Arjen, let me first say that, on account of you being one of the most prominent F1 players, I value your opinion very highly, much more so than Whip's. If that's the same as ass-kissing, then sure, I'm an ass-kisser and proud of it.

But I will also say that I do not enjoy driving the F1-Premium. So much so, that if any future events were to be organized with that car or a similar one, I don't think I would join. One thing I particularly dislike about it, is that little to no thought goes into planning your driving lines, it's all too straightforward. You just drive from corner to corner, occasionally hitting the brakes for one or two tenths of a second; there is not much driving the track as a whole.

Also, where you say F1-Premium has the feeling of speed, I will go ahead and claim the exact opposite. Because it's so happy to respond to everything, any momentum you have can be undone in a fraction of a second, whether it's by braking or steering. The speed has almost no substance, so surely it cannot feel like true speed.

I am very much aware that I cannot please everybody. At this point though, it looks like I have to say "f*** you" to one particular individual, and try to satisfy all the others. On a related note, I updated the car to a newer version yesterday; slightly faster than the previous one, 256 rotations instead of 360, and with the old engine sound restored.

Oompa

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks a million. Whatever the result, you guys rock and this game has been the discovery of a lifetimeth.

Oompa

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 4:51 pm

We could disable the brake. Oh, and what about.damage? I would love to see debris en flying wheels, smoke from broken engines, pieces of transmission flying into helmets from followers, helicopters on track, crowds rioting and pitfalls, and of course the possibility of running a hologram duplicate of your car to fool Whiplash. And what about pieces of track that mirror everything while you drive through it?

Jurgen-NL

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 6:15 pm

i pretty much like all the cars except the maybe the last one the v2 ive mostly disliked all cars untill i got used to them
GPOR F1 premium F1 beta F1 prime v1

pros for me with the v2 compared to the v1

faster speed
returning braking skidmarks

i dunno exactly why but i liked the v1 more then the v2 it was more a challenge and refreshing to drive, yet the v2 acctually goes back to F1 Premium stats

going reverse changed back to how it was in 2.0.0 aswell as to with the v1

a new car needs a new sound imo i didnt get annoyed with the sound from the v1 so i replaced that back again :)

Oompa

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 7:13 pm

What I like about the absence of skidmarks is that more skill is requires to brake, though the lines are nice too, especially when you can see where you totally screwed up.

Jurgen-NL

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 2:01 am

seems the interest in a new car is dead...

The progress is not going anywhere i believe and the activity on the server these days is back close to 0 again

i would like to get some improvements going on here or revert back to the F1-Premium car,

just kind of sad with the current things atm now that i dont like a track in the weekly wank dont have a car in the F1 server that is popular and dont find players at the right time in puna servers :cry: :cry:

GR8Arjen

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 4:03 am

I agree with Jurgen here

Since the new cars were introduced the F1 Fairplay servers activity has dropped to a all time low which to me is a clear indication that people are not enjoying the new generation cars at all. (To be honest, I am one of them)

If we could get one of the following cars back then that would at least draw the F1 players back:

- F1-Beta2c
- F1-Premium
- F1-Major (this one has drafting right?)

When the activity has gone back up we can test some more with new cars and give it another go. ;)
Next

Return to General Discussion