It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 pm

Autoserver Hosting Thread

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

iBlaze²

Community User Level: 3

Autoserver Hosting Thread

PostMon May 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Hello all.

I'm looking for somebody who has experience of hosting a Turbo Sliders autoserver, or at least a little bit of knowledge about it, to answer a few questions for me. Also making this into a general questions thread about hosting autoservers in case future players have queries.

I have a few ideas/projects in the pipeline and it would be nice to host an autoserver to run with them. I've ruled out hosting an autoserver on my own PC since I can't leave this on 24/7 and my internet connection would not be strong enough to host constantly without lag, so I'm investigating other options.

So, what I need to know is this:

- Can you run a Turbo Sliders autoserver on a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or would you need a dedicated server?
- What server specs would be required to give good performance with very little lag? How much RAM, what kind of CPU and CPU speed? Etc.
- What are the positives/negatives of hosting a Turbo Sliders autoserver on Linux compared to Windows? Are there even any?
- How much data transfer does a Turbo Sliders autoserver use? Let's say we have 20 players, 4 hours a day for a whole month (unlikely, but better to overestimate), how much data would this use?

Many thanks to anybody who can help with this.

Tijny

Community User Level: 5

Community User Level: 5

Re: Autoserver Hosting Thread

PostMon May 25, 2015 2:41 pm

iBlaze² wrote:- Can you run a Turbo Sliders autoserver on a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or would you need a dedicated server?
- What server specs would be required to give good performance with very little lag? How much RAM, what kind of CPU and CPU speed? Etc.

Yes, you can, I run TS servers on my VPS too. It demands very little from the machine, the most important thing is a good internet connection.

iBlaze² wrote:- What are the positives/negatives of hosting a Turbo Sliders autoserver on Linux compared to Windows? Are there even any?
Linux is more suited for server environments in general, it really depends on what you're more comfortable with. But setting up a Linux TS server is not that complicated.

iBlaze² wrote:- How much data transfer does a Turbo Sliders autoserver use? Let's say we have 20 players, 4 hours a day for a whole month (unlikely, but better to overestimate), how much data would this use?

It depends on the settings, but in the game, it gives an approximation of how much bandwidth is required in the "Start Server" menu. Let's say around 100 kB/sec for 20 players, which equates to around 40 gigabytes for the duration you mentioned.

iBlaze²

Re: Autoserver Hosting Thread

PostMon May 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Return to General Discussion