It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Turbo Sliders - Further development

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Whiplash

Community User Level: 5

Turbo Sliders - Further development

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 4:12 pm

After the v2.5.3 was released, we could easily notice more activity on the servers. It was nice to see some new "faces" coming to the servers constantly, and also some veterans who were disappeared for months/ages. But I'm sure this is still not even a 20% of what TS can be.
Mostly thanks to Tijny we got some new gaming features in v2.5.3:
- Players could finally be able to play regular races in teams.
- Players could finally be more independent of admins.
- Live info is implemented to make the hot lap competing fun like never before.

Things that community failed at:
- Creating a modern website.
- Creating a centralized global ranking that would provide basic skill and other info of each player.
- Organizing more live competitions.
- Creating more 4K tracks where the potential of new great v.2.5.3 features would be exploited.

Since most of the veterans become more and more busy as the time goes on, I believe that the main community goal for the future should be: making all things automatized.
By hosting the FCC competition, we could notice how much attraction it made in a short time. But, imagine how cool it would be to have such competitions organized automatically by the game. This automation is currently very limited by the game and we always depend on the permanent activity of administrators. That's why I need to know what things the game needs to get that level of automation. The game needs to be able to recognize subscribed players automatically. That obviously can't be done by their names or IPs. It would be good if the game could recognize players by their profile hash. That way it could kick all the non-subscripted players automatically and host the competition for the rest of players. I believe that people who are programmers would know better what changes the game needs. So, those are the suggestions that we need.

I'll probably contact Antti Mannisto (aka Ande - the main TS developer) sometimes in the summer again asking if some new features/improvements could be implemented again, so that the game can get finally closer to its "complete" status. That's why we need to prepare a "to do" list for him again. He's already familiar with some of the requirements like:
- Having more than 20 players on the track;
- Having smarter AI players who can visit pits and avoid collisions;
- Having faster tracks/cars files transfers

We can not be sure that Ande will have time for that again, but we will hope for the best. Even if he says that he's too busy, we will still have a prepared list for him and he can implement it as soon as he's free.

Suggestions list

Whiplash

Re: Turbo Sliders - Further development

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 8:49 pm

I've prepared suggestion list in the first post. It can be edited by the time. Feel free to suggest other things too if you feel them important.
I won't bother Ande with this soon, but it's still good to have something to lead him with once he gets free time for TS again.

magnam

Community User Level: 1

PostSat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 pm

i think the main issue people are dislikeing this game cuz lag,
many years ago i installed this game and go oline, lag was so bad that i gave it up and played spleetscreen only.

i think thats solvable. in some games(like motogp 2) when users have lag,that dont affect their gameplay, only oponents see it jumping all round the track,but e plays as he is offline,not affected by lag, could that be done?

and game should be recognizing somehow who has big lag and make it a ghost racer.

also the network menu should be more easy for newbies. without those comands ;)

Whiplash

PostSat Sep 19, 2015 9:00 pm

magnam wrote:i think the main issue people are dislikeing this game cuz lag,
many years ago i installed this game and go oline, lag was so bad that i gave it up and played spleetscreen only.
i think thats solvable. in some games(like motogp 2) when users have lag,that dont affect their gameplay, only oponents see it jumping all round the track,but e plays as he is offline,not affected by lag, could that be done?

It's hard to say if it's a game's problem. Maybe we just don't have good servers. Anyway, I'm from the same country as you are, and I really don't have lags almost at all. Your Internet provider obviously sucks. And it's bad if you have wireless Internet.
magnam wrote:and game should be recognizing somehow who has big lag and make it a ghost racer.

That's not a good way to solve the problem. I think that the game is even coded so that you can't have ghost and non-ghost cars together on the track.

magnam wrote:also the network menu should be more easy for newbies. without those comands ;)

Well, newbies don't need commands anyway. They can easily join and play - which is a nice thing. Once you feel the need for commands means that you actually stopped to be a newbie. :wink: Anyway, TS has tons of options, and using them by commands is actually the most intuitive way. It's impossible to image a menu that could contain all those options.

Rendy Andrian

Community User Level: 2

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Here are some of my suggestions :D

- Define AI personalities; AIs can have their pace, aggressiveness, and position defense defined for more "real" racing.
- Day/Night cycle if possible; that means Jazzyclub's NightMod tiles would be an official tile for that matter
- Minute-based race length; Once the time is up, the race instantly goes to a final lap mode.
- The ability to define more than one car of the same car hash for AI lap files; I don't know if we have one in this current version because I can't seem to get it working.
RACING SINCE 2007
OFFICIAL SITE - BLOG - TWITTER

Whiplash

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 11:07 pm

I've got in contact with Ande few weeks ago again. He asked me to list him top 3 most wanted things so he can think about them. Smarter AIs was the first one that I mentioned. Then I've got his response that he's not be able to work on that one yet, cause he's too busy for such a complicated feature. We can try to contact him sometimes in the next sumer again.
I believe he could do some small changes now, but I just don't want to bother him about them. Because, that wouldn't make big difference anyway.

Rendy Andrian wrote:- The ability to define more than one car of the same car hash for AI lap files; I don't know if we have one in this current version because I can't seem to get it working.

I think that's already possible. At least I've seen power79 giving suggestions about how to do it.

Rendy Andrian

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 4:25 am

Whiplash wrote:
Rendy Andrian wrote:- The ability to define more than one car of the same car hash for AI lap files; I don't know if we have one in this current version because I can't seem to get it working.

I think that's already possible. At least I've seen power79 giving suggestions about how to do it.

Funny thing is that it wasn't possible; tried that several times, placing the second car below the original car but had no luck, hence it doesn't work when I picked the second car to race against each other.

Or that I've done something wrong...
RACING SINCE 2007

Whiplash

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 8:10 am

Check out THIS POST.

iBlaze²

Community User Level: 3

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 10:31 am

I've had an idea for weather which should be easy enough to implement (but correct me if I'm wrong).

We could have a new range of server commands that control weather (similar to how drafting works). The main command would be:

Code: Select all
/Weather 0|1 - this decides if weather is turned on/off

If weather is on then below that we could have all of the following which are randomly generated between races so that each race has different weather conditions (all of which can be manually altered by admin too):

/WeatherWindIntensity - works exactly the same as gravity, but not as strong (algorithm ensures 75% chance of this being less than 25, but values 0-100)

/WeatherWindDirection - works exactly the same as gravity

/WeatherTrackTemp - alters the grip of the whole map - a higher number = more grip, a lower number = less grip (values 0-60)

/WeatherRainIntensity - alters the viscosity, grip, acceleration, braking, steering and tyre mark properties for the whole map (algorithm ensures 75% chance of this being 0 aka dry but values 0-100)

I'm assuming by the way that gravity and drafting works, weather can be created in a similar way by overriding track properties. If so, activating weather could give us such a variety of situations to race in that no two races would be the same, even on the same track.

Just an idea - I'm not even sure if it's possible?

Whiplash

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 1:55 pm

I'm seeing few problems of this:
- We will not have difference between dry and wet parts of track even we have it visually (on wet tracks).
- It will look weird to use this on currently dry tracks.
- weather conditions needs to be changeable during a single race; otherwise you're just getting new moded tracks by this

But your idea is good considering it will not consume too much power.
It would be nice if weather effects (WeatherTrackTemp and WeatherRainIntensity) could influence the tyre marks only. Then we could use those effects on wet tracks only - by making tyre marks having slightly better grip, steering and speed compared to other parts of a track. But I'm not sure if TS's "engine" allows such a thing. T could know maybe.

iBlaze²

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Whiplash wrote:- We will not have difference between dry and wet parts of track even we have it visually (on wet tracks).

Yeah that's true. It wouldn't work nicely with those tracks that have already been designed as "wet", but my intention wasn't for changeable wet/dry sections of track, more for a simple weather system that affects the whole track at once. So, if rain intensity is set at 50, then the whole track is 50% wet, no variation. Admittedly it's a very dumbed-down weather system but it's better than nothing and (as much as I understand) far easier to implement than a realistic version that changes during races and affects different parts of the track.

Whiplash wrote:- It will look weird to use this on currently dry tracks.

Yeah, that's possibly also true. Can lightmaps be changed via server commands? That could go some way to solving that problem - the higher the rain intensity, the darker the lightmap used? Or, maybe just using lighter tyre marks? Would need to experiment with this.

Whiplash wrote:- weather conditions needs to be changeable during a single race; otherwise you're just getting new moded tracks by this

As above, that wasn't my intention for now as I was thinking more of a simple weather system than a realistic one. Think of it exactly the way you described - new modded tracks but without the need for track-makers to put the time in to create the different versions (wet, dry, etc.). The server commands just over-ride certain settings so that one track can have thousands of potential differences depending on the wind, temperature and rain settings that are chosen. It could also give old tracks a whole new life (pu_Sahara in strong wind anyone?!)

Also, something I didn't mention. If this was ever to be used, all laps driven with weather turned on should be "c" laps of course. And perhaps there could be a new tab option in-race which shows the weather settings?

Whiplash

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 6:14 pm

iBlaze² wrote:As above, that wasn't my intention for now as I was thinking more of a simple weather system than a realistic one. Think of it exactly the way you described - new modded tracks but without the need for track-makers to put the time in to create the different versions (wet, dry, etc.).

You can already use TyreWear properties for this then. Of course, you'll not have wind effect, but that one can't be big anyway.
I'd rather have wind effects for missiles. :twisted:

GR8Arjen

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 2:06 am

Would love to see these things:

- (Virtual) speed indicator in kmh /mph
- Sector times + speed traps

This will help many people to get better laptimes because they can see and compare other people's speeds and sector times to see on which parts of the track, and corners they loose time. :)

Rendy Andrian

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 5:19 am

Whiplash wrote:Check out THIS POST.

I believe that's not the case I'm having the aforementioned trouble with. The case is more like adding a car name (with similar properties) below the original car whose AI lines is defined for a track. Kinda like this...

Lap
Time 12835
Car 418ddbba 65aa3edd a91c2a86 b2b69bcd
Antislider
Baby Antislider

I tried this several times only to found out that it doesn't work. Either my laptop has a get-together or that it really doesn't work...

Back to topic, I'm also suggesting unique fuel and tyrewear values to cars, "tire compounds" (each compound will have unique tyrewear properties), and expansion of AI names to 20 characters.

PS: Do we have a tyrewear property for terrains already?
RACING SINCE 2007

Whiplash

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 10:07 am

Rendy Andrian wrote:Back to topic, I'm also suggesting unique fuel and tyrewear values to cars...

I don't see why this would be good. Same cars - different tyre wear and fuel consumption - doesn't make sense. In fact, you already have this feature implemented. Each driver already affects tyre wear and fuel consumption differently by his driving skill. Isn't that good enough?
Rendy Andrian wrote:..."tire compounds" (each compound will have unique tyrewear properties)...

I guess this would simulate having different types of tires. I've already asked for that, and Ande concluded that it could be quite complicated to implement on a right way. He would have to think about how to switch between two settings in the race, and that's an extra work.
Rendy Andrian wrote:and expansion of AI names to 20 characters.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Rendy Andrian wrote:Do we have a tyrewear property for terrains already?

Yes. Tyre wear is affected by terrain viscosity.
TyreWearExtraForTerrainViscosity: Extra tyre wear on a slow terrain (visc > 1)

Rendy Andrian

PostSun Oct 18, 2015 4:32 am

Whiplash wrote:I don't see why this would be good. Same cars - different tyre wear and fuel consumption - doesn't make sense. In fact, you already have this feature implemented. Each driver already affects tyre wear and fuel consumption differently by his driving skill. Isn't that good enough?

Well, it's a no-go then. Maybe I was pushing too much "Top-Down Gran Turismo" agenda there, hence...

Whiplash wrote:I guess this would simulate having different types of tires. I've already asked for that, and Ande concluded that it could be quite complicated to implement on a right way. He would have to think about how to switch between two settings in the race, and that's an extra work.

Same case with the different tyre wear and fuel consumption then...

Whiplash wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by this.

By default, an AI's name would be limited to 16 characters. I'm proposing to have four more for longer names.

Whiplash wrote:Yes. Tyre wear is affected by terrain viscosity.
TyreWearExtraForTerrainViscosity: Extra tyre wear on a slow terrain (visc > 1)

Sorry, I meant defining them in the *.ter file, the same way as "slowing", "jump", etc.
RACING SINCE 2007

magnam

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 9:04 am

what about new graphics?
grass that moves, water that has waves, trees,leaves and such stuff

tito76

PostWed Nov 04, 2015 9:22 am

Adjustable HUD transparency from 0 to 100%;
Option to make fuel and remaining laps displays always visible;
Fuel advices by 75%, 50%, 25%.
Fix for wide screen resolutions to extend the width only, without crop the height.

Whiplash

PostWed Nov 04, 2015 2:10 pm

tito76 wrote:Option to make fuel and remaining laps displays always visible;

Ah, you have this already. Just hit TAB few times and you will get desired info always visible on the top left corner.

Return to General Discussion